It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin, evolution

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

eugenics is a psuedo science used in the 20's to support rascism you guys know this right?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by Donny 4 million

yes i realize that it is from the torah however it is the basis of christianity understand now?

Wrong again-----Did you notice the first six letters in Christian?
Those letters are the basis for Christianity.
Creationism is what makes Hebrews, Hebrews. Christ is what makes Christians, Christians.
Get it. Anybody think Jesus was created?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

reply to post by Xcalibur254

eugenics is a psuedo science used in the 20's to support rascism you guys know this right?

Where was this used in the 20's may I ask?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Eugenics is focused on selective breeding in order to "improve" a gene pool. This is an artificial form of selection, not natural, thus it is not true evolution. Much in the same way that selective breeding in dogs is not true evolution. Furthermore, the basis of Galton's theory of eugenics was that since physical characteristics were heritable that intelligence would be as well. However, there are a lot of confounds in studying something as indefinable as intelligence. Even today we lack a satisfactory definition of intelligence. Also, as intelligence isn't really an observable trait all one can ever do in studying it is to correlation studies, which cannot be used to determine the trait's cause. Therefore, it cannot be adopted into a theory based on empirical research.

So you are saying that if someone creates a genetically altered fruit fly in a lab
and calls it proof that science can create new species-------
That person would have a pant load suited for a farm fertilizer.
Or full of crap. Right? It would have nothing to do with evolution. Right?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

just read the great gatsby and you will understand

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

yes i realize that it is from the torah however it is the basis of christianity understand now?

Creationism is what makes Hebrews, Hebrews. Christ is what makes Christians, Christians.

ok so what your saying is that christians don't believe in genesis at all? it's in the torah but it is also in the old testament in the bible i'm pretty sure christians read that and believe that or is that wrong? maybe they believe the flying spaghetti monster created the world with his magic suace and christ is a meatball. hmmmm.....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
ok maybe i'm wrong about eugenics maybe i thought it was something else. but i was sure it was what i thought it was. i concede on the euugenics debate

however can someone tell me what i was thinking of maybe?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

And yes, creationism has to be taught as religion, as it is inherently religious in nature, and was not discovered by secular means.

I'm not so sure Biblical creationism needs to be taught as religion. I propose we take up Donny's suggestion and teach about it in history class next to geocentric cosmology and phlogiston.

After all, it is history, despite our poor friends' strenuous efforts to breathe life back into the corpse.

reply to post by harvib

Do you believe Americans, in general, are receiving an education that allows them to be self sufficient? To survive without having to rely on Government or corporations, again in general?

That kind of education may be appropriate for the children of uncontacted tribespeople in the deep Amazon, but not for civilized boys and girls.

Society is interdependence. It is normal, natural and right to rely on governments to protect us from our neighbours and foreign invaders. It is normal, natural and right to rely on corporations to provide us with the goods and services we desire, yet are unable or unwilling to provide ourselves. And yes, we stand or fall as one. Only conspiracy theorists don't seem to be able to grasp this simple truth.

Has there not been and is there not now several if not a majority of Governments both presently and within our own recent past that have become corrupt and begun to act against the best interest of its' citizens?

Former democracies, you mean, that have degenerated into one-party states or despotisms of one kind or another? Yes, there are some. I live in one myself. It never happens without the connivance and active assistance of the majority. No western democracy faces such a situation; certainly not the United States.

You leave no legal authority to ensure that when the Government "messes up" you have the ability to ensure the curriculum is swiftly replaced.

There is public debate, public protest, lawsuits, lobbying and all the other recourses available in a vibrant democracy. Further up the process of appeal, there are constitutional safeguards and supreme courts. There are elections, impeachment procedures and all the rest.

You think these means have failed because they haven't produced the kind of society you want. But in a democracy, nobody gets exactly the society they want; everyone has to compromise. Rugged individualists and conspiracy theorists don't get this, but the rest of us do.

So it would seem you take a anti-abortion issue to argue evolution?

Stay on topic, Rambo, or pipe down.

[edit on 11/3/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

ok so what your saying is that christians don't believe in genesis at all? it's in the torah but it is also in the old testament in the bible i'm pretty sure christians read that and believe that or is that wrong? maybe they believe the flying spaghetti monster created the world with his magic suace and christ is a meatball. hmmmm.....

So you are now saying the Jewish folks think the flying spaghetti monster created the world? Sad sad
I'll bet you believe their GOD gave them the rights to Palistine via evolution too.
what gives with you dude.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by drsmooth23

Home school teachers have to abide by the same curriculum. If a kid was taught that creationism was real, then the kid would not be able to study science at university, or would at least have their chances of doing so greatly reduced, as they'd have a slim chance of even being accepted to university.

Thats odd, I'd suggest the exact opposite... that home school students are more likely to be accepted into universities for study of science because of the superiority of homeschooling over public schooling.

www.mitadmissions.org...

MIT is pretty big on science, no? I'm willing to try to find some MIT home-schooled students and find out what they were taught about evolution if you'll help me out with that little project. I believe we'll find a similar fraction of them were taught evolution as the national average. How about it? I'm willing to accept the results with as few as a ten student sample though prefer a thirty student sample. I'll let you author the thread with the findings. Or, if you don't like MIT, I'll do this for any university of your choice unless for some reason their focus is on evolution so long as you'll participate in the study.

Study of evolution is not an essential component of the practical application of genetics research. Its merely a small part that can be foregone completely. If my memory serves right, and it may not, the study of genetics was initiated by Mendel, a creationist who was part of the Catholic Church. No?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

why are you twisting around everything i say? i was trying to make a point that genisis conflicts with evolution and what we know to be true.

christians beleive genesis it's in the bible

the spaghetti monster deal was a sarcastic remark

as for jews and isreal how can they have the rights to isreal if they were never slaves in egypt never crossed the jordan and never killed all those innocent people?

also i am an athiest and an evolutionist not a crackpot religious guy

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Are you kidding? The theory of evolution affects everything in the field of biology, from medicines to food. If fewer people learned about it, society would clearly suffer.

No I understand that, but what am I asking is has it really affected you in knowing or not knowing? I'm not talking society as a whole. As for me it has not had any influence in my ability to be successful throughout my life. I’m not arguing whether evolution is correct or not, and I don’t believe in creationism in the least, but I do find your draconian attitude towards what should be taught and how to everyone as if we are all cogs in a machine rather alarming.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Prove something is off topic before you engage in name calling.
People who do that get tagged Pinocchio.
I won't call you a liar though, if you tell me something on topic sonny.
Are you saying mankind can evolve without babies? Weird.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Donny 4 million]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

So you are now saying the Jewish folks think the flying spaghetti monster created the world? Sad sad
I'll bet you believe their GOD gave them the rights to Palistine via evolution too.

Donny, if there is one thing you are good at, it's twisting a normal sounding sentence into a completely unrelated topic that is usually controversial, like abortion, or israel vs palestine, why can't you stick to the issues?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Donny, if there is one thing you are good at, it's twisting a normal sounding sentence into a completely unrelated topic that is usually controversial, like abortion, or israel vs palestine, why can't you stick to the issues?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

PC? Hardly. A good education is not politically correct. How is it PC?

The kids don't choose to be mis-educated. The parents choose to mis-educate their kids. That is my point.

And how will I suffer if the world has a number of people rattling around in it who can't tell the difference between a fairy story and scientific fact? You need me to spell that out for you? Civilisation depends on the people that constitute it. If we allow various sections to retard themselves, then civilisation, and everyone in it, hurts.

The world does not end at your front door or at your wallet. Every day each person you interact with, and the scores more you don't, directly affects your life.

Why do you continue to push this false point? Why do you conveniently ignore the data on how well homeschooling children do compared to all others?

Since it seems your main argument is that homeschoolers get a poor education and it impedes any future higher education desires and/or having a successful life in general, if this was not true would you change your views? I have and so has many others shown that not only is your argument wrong but it is 180 degrees from the truth. The only group that does better than homeschoolers are private Christian school and this is factual and documented by our own NCES through the national report cards. I have furthered shown data that 96% of homeschooled adults would still want to be homeschooled if they had the choice to go back and do it again. Homeschoolers score on an average 100 points on the ACT SAT above the national average with 1300 plus for the ones that head off to college. A greater number of homeschoolers attend college than the average, and a greater number finish and head off to post grad work while entering the workforce better off than the average.

I have quoted all this in past posts that you have yet to address any of my facts even once while still pushing your bias beliefs.

I think the truth lies more with your feelings towards religion in general that has manifested such a drive in you to demand all cultures no matter how successful in how they educate their children to step in line with the official doctrine. You are demanding people to either change their personal beliefs to teach the status quo, or put their children into a system that is totally inferior in multitude of ways than the one they personally provide at no cost to the state to teach everything that this inferior system demands.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
as for my views with school and creationism vs evolution is this it's quite genius i say.

there should be a class for evolution

students should decide which they want to attend or both or neither

in the other classes both topics should be left out

i am an evolutionist and an atheist however this seems fair does anyone else agree?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

as for my views with school and creationism vs evolution is this it's quite genius i say.

i meant creationism for the second one my bad

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

i meant creationism for the second one my bad

There are, evolution has biology and Creationism has theology.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

This by no means rules you out from being a crackpot atheist, evolutionist.
Just look at the wording you use to disrespect literally millions of good decent people
Evolution will never replace your need for something to believe in by just putting others down.
Take a look at the thread. All the childish name calling,use of derogatory
frustrated comments. Most coming from the Christian bashers about Creationism.
Which is a Jewish or Hebrew ideology actually and the best they had to offer in science.
You must realize that there was no religion then, It wasn't;t even invented yet.
So any one carrying on like you do is just incredibly rude.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Donny 4 million]

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join