It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women banned from flight for refusing scan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Why is no one questioning the health issues of going through these scanners?
I wish I can find the source of where I have read this but particularly the scanners being implemented in the American airports use a specific type called a backscatter machine.

There are rare but potential risks, especially for flight crews, frequent flyers and such vulnerable groups as pregnant women, babies and young children, who are more sensitive to radiation's damaging effects, associated with this type of x-ray technology.

Sometimes there is no choice at all for alternative means of transportation. As someone pointed out, they live on a continent surrounded by ocean. What if you lived there, but your parents who you love dearly lived in North America, and God forbid one of them passes away. You need to get there right away to help arrange funeral and support your widowed parent.
What are you supposed to do? What is your family going to do? Wait for you to take a boat? Maybe you can find a private flyer and pay thousands of dollars that you don't have?

Maybe Scotty can beam you up there

Full body scanners dont need to be implemented for security. There are safer, more affordable, less damaging technologies for security. Also, how about hiring competent people who can actually "secure" and do their job? Sure you might need more man power, but that would be great for the people who are looking for jobs in today's #ty economy.

This whole thing started because of the "underwear bomber" no? Well maybe if they did a pat down on this guy, and searched his bags, they could of have caught him and his "explosives" that he was supposed to sit on top of while he blew himself up ensuring his body would absorb most the impact, and barely would be able to warrant a plane to fall from the sky.

[edited to make more sense]

[edit on 4/3/2010 by InnerTruths]

[edit on 4/3/2010 by InnerTruths]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I am flying from Australia to Athens on March 28th and then will do several flights within Europe and Egypt. This is the trip of a lifetime for us and I am eager to travel.

I am not all that eager to be subjected to a full body scan. I feel it is an invasion of my personal privacy. Some ahole will then be oggling me...makes my flesh crawl.

The only man that is allowed to see my body in the raw, is my husband.

Airlines have not implemented these scans...paranoid governments have with their terrorist hype. Trying to scare us all into submission.

If I have to undergo this violation, I will (because I want to travel) but I can assure you I will be extremely vocal and resistant. I might cry and cause a scene...swear a bit and chuck a tantrum.

res

Goodonya ladies for daring to stick it to em...gotta love women with balls

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

reply to post by rcwj1975

Debate after debate on this topic and individuals still believe TSA to be employed by the airlines. When are you guys going to get it?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

Unfortunately it is not a right to be able to get on an airliner and have it take you to your destination--it us a privilege. If people don't want to deal with full-body scanners then those people do not fly, simple as that.

The people retain the rights not given to the Government. Show me where the Federal Government has the authority to regulate travel.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by harvib

here is just one link to answer your request.

Click HERE to view source

if you want to be more specific with regards to airline travel, HERE is another link.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

What request? I'm assuming you are referring to my question regarding the US Federal Government. However you linked to what appears to be the equivalent to the US's TSA. Just because an agency is created does not mean it was created under civil authority. But in Canada's case it may have been, I'm not sure.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by harvib]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

This is awful and the simple fact is that it won't stop a damn thing. There are numerous ways to smuggle things onboard a plane, disguised as every day items. For gods sake you could fill one of those cheap bic lighters with nitroglycerin if you were determined. That's a small example of what could be achieved by a terrorist.

The odd thing is that i could happily walk down the local high street buck naked without really caring (i may even have a slight swagger lol), and yet i find these machines to be horrible. I would hate to have to stand in one of these things. I think it's about being forced into it.

These machines are a joke.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Carseller4

How does one define what is a right and what isn't?

Is walking on the street a right?

Probably not in the future. We could be heading for security check points in large cities, and regular random checks because someone walks like a terrorist.

We can see the signs of a police state already... attitudes of security staff and police are becoming more paranoid as every year passes, because of govt. policies and the occasional terror attack.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think the woman should be commended for standing up for her beliefs and dignity. Although I usually just let these kinds of things pass, it just seems these Body Scanners are really crossing the line. What comes next? How much farther will we allow the line to be drawn? Think back to how things were pre-9/11 and now look at where we are at.

I still believe the best course of action is for everyone to boycott non-essential travel. If enough people cancel their flights citing the reason as being in opposition to these Body Scanners, the Airport Industry will have no choice but to listen and change things.

[edit on 4/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread, only the first page but the majority of responses shock me.

Do you know what would be a pity? If either of the women was strapped to 50lb of semtex, wasn't scanned and blew an airliner full of 200+ people to jupiter....

Whats more important personal dignity or the health and safety of a full aircraft of people?

Edit: They denied for "religious" reasons. Would they be the same religious reasons that would allow them to destroy an aircraft with plastic explosives?

[edit on 4/3/10 by Death_Kron]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Whats more important personal dignity or the health and safety of a full aircraft of people?

You know Israel doesn't have these scanners and they haven't had a big attack. Weird how they do that huh, when you consider the amount of peopel that would love to attack them.

But hey you're right, lets all give up our liberty for safety, lets put a camera in your home because you might be beating your wife/husband and lets chip you because if we know exactly where you are all the time then you can't commit crimes and get away with it, that makes us safer! Oh and your DNA, i want that pleasse, it needs to be on the database. Ahh screw it lets just put a collar on you and if you go outside of a certain area you get a nice shock. You'll also need a license to fly from now on after extensive checks.

Yeah i know you'll say all of this is ridiculous, however i am just extending your argument because it can be used to justify all of these things. To quote one of my favorites all time quotes.

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
What are you supposed to do? What is your family going to do? Wait for you to take a boat? Maybe you can find a private flyer and pay thousands of dollars that you don't have?

Then you have a choice. Get scanned and fly, or hire a private plane. The choice is yours. You can make the choice what is more important to you.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Then you have a choice. Get scanned and fly, or hire a private plane. The choice is yours. You can make the choice what is more important to you.

There are always choices in life. Even slaves have choices. However that doesn't justify the actions of those who would limit our choices.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
However that doesn't justify the actions of those who would limit our choices.

Exactly who is limiting your choices here? you can choose to get scanned, or refuse. That choice is yours, no one is limiting it.

There are certain rules if you want to fly, like you need to buy a ticket. I could claim it is against my religion to pay to fly, then claim that my choice is being limited....

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Exactly who is limiting your choices here? you can choose to get scanned, or refuse. That choice is yours, no one is limiting it.

I used to have a choice to walk onto a plane without having to go through a virtual strip search that may or may not be hazardous to my health. Furthermore, every year my choice to patron certain businesses are more a more impeded with "choices". I may have "choices" in life but that certainly isn't freedom as some people like to imply...

[edit on 4-3-2010 by harvib]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Is it really a choice to not see your family? After all flying is often the only way of getting somewhere, oh you can take a ship and by the time you have made the round trip you no longer have a job. It's like someone giving you a choice to be shot with either a pistol or shotgun, yeah it's a choice but either way you're dead.

Just because you have a choice does not mean the situation is automatically ok. We are seeing freedoms utterly eroded, we are being strip searched for gods sake. How does that not bother you? I mean i don't care if someone sees me naked, i do mind however if someone tells me i am not allowed to go about my business until they have seen me naked.

I state again, if you are ok with this because it's all about protecting people then why not chip everyone? Why not DNA scan everyone? Why not having cameras on every single street, in every house? This would make everyone a lot safer.

But hey lets just talk about planes. Why not give everyone a cavity search? I mean seriously you could easily hide a bomb up your backside so it seems like a sensible precaution don't you think? You can be first in line to receive the gloved finger. Hey it's a choice if you fly right?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereksExactly who is limiting your choices here? you can choose to get scanned, or refuse. That choice is yours, no one is limiting it.

What if you are travelling with your wife/GF/sister/mother/cousin and they get chosen as the random search? Would you really have no objection letting strangers behind the screen have a practically naked view of all her body parts? What if you are travelling with young children. Wouldn't it bother you that strangers behind the screen can practically see your 8-year old kids naked?

I guess all of this is allowed because you are protected from terrorists?

What happens when this gross invasion of privacy becomes mainstream? What happens afterwards? When will it stop? Are you basically saying that you will allow any measures, no matter how intrusive and inconvenient, because it is all done to protect you from terrorists?

[edit on 4/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Would you really have no objection letting strangers behind the screen have a practically naked view of all her body parts? What if you are travelling with young children. Wouldn't it bother you that strangers behind the screen can practically see your 8-year old kids naked?

Obviously you have not been to any beach lately, you can see much more, in glorious colour than a low resolution monochrome scanner! Americans can be so prudish!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
So much for tens of thousands of people in forums, decrying such invasions of privacy (idiotic scanners) !

Where are they when they're called to defend the 'freedumbs' they claim they'll defend ?

Two women refused the scans. That's it ? Two women ?

Where are the rest ? Sitting obediently in their seats in planes after obediently subjecting themselves --- and their 'freedumbs' --- to the scanners ?

Words are cheap, huh ?

When it comes to action, where are the 'freedumb defenders' ?

Exactly what I was thinking, these are the same people that would give up their liberty for freedom. However, put yourself in their shoes, the majority of people are blind and dumb to the truth (fact) the majority of people believe that people in high places are looking out for them (fact) the majority of people believe everything they are told by their governments to be the truth and that anyone who questions their authority is a trouble maker (fact)

Until people start lifting their veils in order to see what is clearly in front of their noses, nothing will change, its a process of waiting, listening and helping when required. It is futile to fight against the tide at this point. The awakening is ocurring some weeks faster than the others but nevertheless the process has started.

When people start to question the validity of terrorism and indeed the terrorists everything else should fall in to place,

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks
Obviously you have not been to any beach lately, you can see much more, in glorious colour than a low resolution monochrome scanner! Americans can be so prudish!

You seem to avoid the sensible points people make and try to pick something out that you can reply to without actually addressing anything. So how about you actually attempt a decent response. Maybe you could also address the following.

You appear fine with body scanners as they enhance security (questionable) and you don't think it's to bad that people are seen naked. So i ask you, would you be ok with cavity searches for everyone? You see there is a very real danger someone could shove plastic explosive up their rear end, it sounds insane but it's a very easy way to conceal something. Someone else could shove the detonator up their backside and hey you have a really powerful bomb.

So would you accept cavity searches? I am using your argument to justify them, safety. Oh and vaginal searches as well for random women in the queue. I'm guessing they will be attractive random women, just by chance of course

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join