It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if unemployment benefits do stop?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yeah, but you still can't grow hemp willy-nilly in most of the U.S. The war on drugs is bunk.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I dig it man...and true that...if I want a sweet R/C truck (totally into em) I am way better off to buy Kyosho than Associated ( I am a decade late in these respects, but I think you aren't too far behind me in this analagoy) - as I assume associated is still USA.

Again, your point I can't argue. IN respects competition and efficiency...limiting oneself to local production will hold back progress...however when our progress has led us to skip a bit too far ahead and put us in a stall, being able to stumble back on local products helps us and our neighbors...the corporations get a reality check and refine themselves and their product...and everything takes a leap forward...
We are in a cycle hopefully, not an endroads.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

the dea already doesnt enforce it in CA. thats why everybody who is unemployed is still making a killing.

and news flash. theres at least 5 new industries that will open up outside of the recreational realm. i doubt they will make hardly any in that aspect...

all somebody needs to do is go large-scale industrial on the bio-mass front and we can replace gasoline in cars alltogether.

we will own the textile industry again automaticly.

and big farm wont be so big anymore. just look at what prop 215 did.

the list goes on. but untill an actual company can go dedicate and go public on the industrial front we wont see the revenue. i predict middle of next year...seeing as how ballots are in november...

and it WILL pass.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
if it goes off without a hitch the economy will boom. what im predicting is TPTB will try to screw it up somehow.

however the state doesnt seem to give a damn what the feds think... at least for this subject.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

In regards to your second paragraph there I think the market determines or I should say the populace for example will be the determinant.

If people felt that WalMart was not the most efficient place to do 70% of their shopping, then they wouldn't. But they obviously do.

There were very big corporations before WalMart too. He had a better idea. The Sam Walton story is actually a pretty good one if you ever get the chance.

Best him at his own game (which will be tough) or figure out a way to make an impact on society that will change the game. We can't sit around and talk about the "would have" and "could have" and "should have" - that doesn't get us anywhere but this website in actuality.

Easier said than done, right?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
I can't help but wonder. why people are still confused about the direction this country is taking. If the leadership in Washington wanted to fix the economy then it would happen. Nothing changes. The elite controlled machine will stay the course to ruin for the many and a new age...only when you take off the blindfold and drop the partisan rhetoric will you see a clear agenda. Only then will some answers start to form. Like how to feed yourself or you're family in this declining stage without standing in a line for your twice daily government prepared GMO and MSG meal.

Its hard to believe that people still can not see that the govt. is causing all this and that is their plan. Is it not obvious yet, come on take a look around, its over, get used to it.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Saddly, you are right. However, I thought of a good example (it weren't good for me at the time, but I see my own point being made now)
I needed a new suit, jacket and slacks. Two years ago, I went to Wallymart and got two of em, $100 buck a set, fit well and all. Well, as a maturing american, I got to fat for my suits, needed some new ones, after stopping at McDonalds I went into wallymart and went to the mens clothing section....no more suit jackets, just slacks...their suggestion was I were to go to a "mens clothing store" well, in my Fury, I went to Fred Myers...I'll show them...Yeah, uh, funny thing, no suit jackets at Freddy's either...they said "try mens warehouse"
So...I was bummed but I thought then...hmm...I wonder, is this an instance where little business, er specialized business is standing its ground? Why weren't these big Corps offering this specialized service anymore? I don't think that a mens clothing store is gonna fit me and provide a complete suit for less than $100...and...wally and freddy aren't gonna keep importing my $100 threads for .50c on the dollar apparently.

Someone got proactive...and at the time it ticked me, but after this conversation, good for the guy that went to Wally and Freddy and said..."hey..back off, we got this"
At least that's how I imagine the conversation went

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Oh yeah...so, I a month ago stopped eating at McD's and the B'King...I think I will just try to fit into them suits I bought two years ago..."fatass americans!" (I say in a lame monty python wanna be french accent)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

They probably didn't have large enough margins on them to equate to floor space.

Regarding what you were talking about earlier you should try to organize what you want if your opinion is still that. Convince enough people with a sound argument and you may start something. I shouldn't derail you..I might be missing one piece of the picture.

But there will be people like me asking you questions like that so just come up with something

[edit on 1-3-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Can you imagine what a completely American made suit would cost ?
A hundred bux probably would not even buy you the buttons and zipper.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

It seems you're correct in theory. I'd love for this to come true, even if it meant my fears for the last couple of years we're all for nothing. Truly, I'd be quite happy to admit being foolish, and just get on with life. I'm not so sure this will happen, though. It's late and I have to consider this for a while yet. Thanks for the perspective.

Hemp produces the most biomass of any crop, which is why it is the natural choice for an energy crop. Hemp converts the sun's energy into cellulose faster than any other plant, through photosynthesis. Hemp can produce 10 tons of biomass per acre every four months. Enough energy could be produced on 6% of the land in the U.S. to provide enough energy for our entire country (cars, heat homes, electricity, industry) -- and we use 25% of the world's energy.
Hemp

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Some of my American made jeans cost over $200, not that I care to remotely brag about that or whatever. They are expensive though.

Are Cherokee's made in USA? I am guessing walmart still sells these? I think everyone has/had a pair of those at one time.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Thanks but it wasn't my idea, (though it does need to be explored for sure, as just saying we need better roads and bridges only suggest we need to make more jobs payed for by taxes, that are only accrued by profits made by producers-producers in this instance does not include only large corporations, in this converstaion I use producers as anyone who works.) I am self employed and provide a service that, although there is competition, I was providing it with a good attitude at a good price before TSHTF...so since I had good advice and looked ahead, I did not overextend myself, I am OK, but being OK today means watching the budget, VERY carelfully yes?

This grassroots idea of my neighbor was new and intelligent in my opinion...

But, like yourself, I see the contradictions when people with very little, look to where they can get the most for less....and so yay wallmart...kinda But there are things we can't get at wallmart... beit specialty stuff as in things that even though they have thousands of sq ft floorspace...they have hundreds of thousands of customers per capita...thankfully for the entrepeneur....... STIKE ALL THAT
DID'T EVEN GET TO REPLY....... and the thread went somewhere else..TOTALY American Made brand name was WAY overpriced. Thanks UNIONS? NO Thanks Free Market ... (which I totally support) well, the huge profits are done, for now...I have a friend that runs her own clothig store, makes most of her stuff herself, when it was good, she did REAL good, her stuff is unique and the gals love it...now, she does just fine...she wasn't charging prada prices, but she was producing better product.
She didn't have to come down on her prices, because even with america's "name brand" stuff, it was way outta control...now, maybe back to reality a little bit huh?

But back to this thread...staying at home, filling out two job apps a week and making sure we don't make more than ? $1800 a month to get food stamps (I say that as inflamitory...its been a decade since I was on em, anyone willing to tell me what the cutoff for a married couple is as far as income is allowed in the state of Oregon USA to be elligible for government credit for food assistance?) is not productive...and Amercia needs to produce to survive.
And that is a fact.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Look things there are gonna get really bad soon. I can't see this going well if they stop unemployment benefits with unemployment so high. So many millions more will be out of work and homeless. And it was always pretty bad there for that.

I am however willing to offer to marry/gay marry one of you, for a rather large sum in exchange for Australian citizenship. Bidding starts at 10 ounces of pure gold. (I don't want American dollars
)

[edit on 1-3-2010 by belial259]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
plus it combines a myriad of treatments that will save us from the financial woes of big pharm. itle be a commodity so the wealth can stay localized after its re-established. plus carberated engines already run on ethonal[byproduct]. fuel injected engines would need modifying...on top of that the seeds are almost as nutritous ly valueble as soy. it grows fast and almost anywhere. hemp paper is better than reguler paper and extremely cheaper to make. same with textiles its cheaper and better than cotton.

its our only chance at getting the wealth back really. put rockefeller outta business

[edit on 1-3-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
while simeltaniosly saving money by freeing up prisons and no longer needing to pay for enforcement.

win / win

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

""Why would you go find work in a new job you hate if you can make as much or more on unemployment? Sure 28800 not tax isn't a ton but its decent enough if your not doing anything for it."

Well it does seem to make sense in the short term but it is folly in the long term.

Many employers do not like see gaps in a resume. Whilst hanging around on welfare you are loosing skills and am also not necessarily gaining more skills.

Also being in a job has the possible hope of further advancement be it a bonus or a payrise.

And finally you can get into seriously bad habits like daily drinking or worse.

T

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
If unemployment benefits were to stop it means the s##t has hit the fan. "After a mass culling of the innocents". I think us Humans, would end up going back to basics, nature if you will and the inbread Elites would call it Crime and try to exterminate the rest of us.

Just my thoughts. Peace..

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the OP. So far it has been a very sensible and sober thread. I will do my bit not to add to the crazines.

If the benefits stop the American middle classes will have a very nasty shock. The American middle classes are the people that did things the “right way”. The worked hard paid there taxes, went to college/ got the necessary training and saved their cash.

Some of the middle class jobs will go and they will be forced to go for lower paid jobs outside of their current zone of comfort. However it will not be so easy as many employers will be intimidated by having those senior people going for more junior or less paid jobs. The middle classes (and I) believe that intelligence is transferable hence if for example you were an operations manager it should be easy to get a job as a receptionist in an operations company. The entire notion of American individuality will have a radical rethink as they current model will not be valid for some who previously believed in it.

Things will get ugly and the government may become very edgy (all those hungry and angry people with guns) and civil liberties will be under threat. Anti government organizations will increase.

Irrational cults will increase.

ATS membership will increase.

America will get a bit more folksy.

Many will start to keep chickens and even pigs where zoning allows.

On a different note all the office workers should consider learning a trade to fall back on.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The sooner the better in my eyes. The unemployment system is like a drop cage right now. Everyone is held inside but when it finally lifts, the system of false contentment will exist no more.

Once people are lost to the notion of "no more free money" and they realize how bad it actually is, then they can start looking at the big picture. Once they have no more money, they will start to lose things. Finally, once they have nothing to lose... well then that is when the going gets good.

Viva la revolucion?

As I always say, I'll be on the front lines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join