It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if unemployment benefits do stop?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Prepare to leave the country. Start scopin out third world countries with emigre populations, safe food supplies, relative political stability, and other neccesities. Find a place you can lay low, grow your own food, and survive. Learn to live with out electricity and running water. Learn to live without anything more than food, shelter, and loved ones. What else is there really? I am unemployed. I have a couple thousand left. That will last me what two months here vs. six months to a year somewhere else. Watching my country is like watching a derailing train. I can yell at a train all I like, but it is still going to wreck. The crashing wages, falling job availability, and increasing tax burden is revolting. Politically the situation is untenable, and requires armed revolution. There is no cure. Work as long as you can for whatever you can. Save everything you can. When the writings is on the wall goto Thailand, Philipines, or South America. I continue to pursue the regular political avenues of change(grassroots/protesting), but realistically I know it is a battle that is lost.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

We have a framework that prevents this but it wont be utilized.
It's our broken government.
It's been taken over from the inside.
This collapse, is by design.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

I hope you are not right but it is pointing this way. I have to wonder I was just reading another thread about local police planning for this very situation. Very scary indeed. The unprepared will die in the the first week remember this and how important is your family? I feel for people that do not have the means to prepare. I wish them the best and remember the best weapon you can have is your brain.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

DON'T be scarred! 9 out of 10 poeple are not unemployed...and before our "crisis" 9.4 out of 10 were not unemployed....those numbers really aren't all that bad, like it has been mentioned in this thread before, the elites, who are ripping us off, are aware of what they can get away with. And making the "show of force" that you just mentioned is one way to make sure they can get just a little more blood out of this turnip. But how many people are dying of starvation in the US currently?
Now, as far as your OP in regards the limits on unemployment benefits...what would happen if before you could recieve the check you had to pass a U/A? And the same for food stamps?
I would think all of a sudden there would be a whole lot of extra for those that need it, and not those that want it.
I'm not being a hard ass, I too have faced the "what do I do when tomorow comes" it worked out. I too have recived food credits (yay oregon trail)...and, if I had to pass a drug test at the time, well, lets just say I woulda had to put down the nintendo controller and gone out and got a job. Or cleaned up and moved in with family till I could.
Sorry, not a rant here, but really, it has been hinted at in this thread already, the system is being abused by some: and by reducing them, we can affect the many ... NO?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Hello,
And what about the disabled who are actually disabled? Blind, Deaf, Quadriplegic, Developmentally Disabled, PTSD, Ect? And Grandma/Grandpa that worked their entire lives? When it comes to family being abused by the system, where do you stand?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom

DON'T be scarred! 9 out of 10 poeple are not unemployed...and before our "crisis" 9.4 out of 10 were not unemployed....

Wrong

Be scared . 18 out of 100 employable are not.

That's Huge. And the trend is still downward , more are losing their jobs.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I dont think they will totally cut unemployment.

I do think employment numbers will start to take off though (to the positive side) once they do cut the extended unemployment. Think about the people that are just living off that check because they were overpaid at their last job and just do not want to submit to something paying 12.00 an hour.

There are plenty of those jobs here in FL and if you can't find one you prob. live where I used to in South Dakota or you really like living off that unemployment check IMO. Once this shift happens consumer confidence will pick back up (people getting back to work slowly) and spending should jump a good percentage IMO.

I think this is most likely scenario when the extended unemployment runs out.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
lets see, today is Marz 1st, so its been a Week since Bernanke told the Congress They Had to immediately cut their Deficit Spending !
(implying things such as unemployment benefits, & entitlements like Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare need to be rationed out less freely)

Bernanke, & i guess Geithner and Paulson...all want their million dollar pay for themselves and the clique of corporate bankster elites who are part of the club ! (est. subtotal $9.66 Trillion, in 20 months)

but the measely $100-300 Billion$ for the 'riff-raff' workers in the nation
is deemed 'outlandish, break-the-bank, unwarrented Deficit 'spending'
whereas the high & mighty, monied, class elites outlays are beneficial 'Investments'

when the subsistance pay ceases, there should be no riots in the streets...
instead lets revisit the tour buses around the fat cats mansions
on free sight-seeing tours.... as was done in Deleware & Conneticut ~2 years ago

reasonable ?

This makes me so mad and sick to my stomach that they can do this to the people that pay their damn salaries! These are desperate times and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I've lived a half a Century and never seen it this bad. The next year or two will be very interesting indeed.....

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
I will look for a link, but today I also read that by June of this year another 5 million peoples' unemployment benefits will run out (unless there is a sudden creation of jobs).

here is one link on this:

money.cnn.com...

We need some big projects and I hope they expand all things "green" and renewable energy sources - the USA needs to be leading on this.

I am from the uk and i am on benefits, i dont understand the american benefits, how come your cheques run out ours never do,some of the benefits are long term?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
I have been wrestling with the question for the last week what happens to America when it stops? I think it is the only thing holding the country together right now. And if it does stop it will unravel the very fabric of America. When people lose everything they often become very angry and that anger could turn to hate.

What I wish the administration would do is really create some jobs and no more money anywhere until America is back on it's feet. Let the world worry about places like Haiti it is not our job. We need new roads and schools better infrastructure across the board. Why not put all the electric lines underground?

If they do not create jobs and cut off the unemployment America is lost as we know it. It is simple create jobs and get the unemployed working again. Why is it so hard to do that? I am starting to wonder if they care about jobs at all.

And this is not a political issue Bush was just as bad it is a American issue.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

Probably war in the long term, in the short term they will allow it to extend after a day or two of public outrage from the politicians against this or that.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope we can see how other people in so called third world countries do this. I have lived in such countries and they share their food much more readily than we do even when they themselves have little to share. Please do not judge or turn away someone who is truly hungry or thirsty...and for those who are not aware of this I know many in my community at least are going hungry, especially at the end of the month there are many. I know a hungry person when I see one...I have been there for sure.

I also hope my community/town will loosen up the rules to let me pitch a tent in my yard to help someone out temporarily. Right now that's totally illegal...so much for home ownership. We need to get real with where we're at right now.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Thank you for you personal interest in my beliefs.
I did not suggest that social security should be dependant upon proving no illicit drug use, only that benefits for those that could be productive members of society who choose to mooch off the system: The ones that begrudgingly make sure they do as little as possible to look for jobs that don't U/A...or those that won't take low paying jobs because it will negate their elligability for food stamps.
I am totally for supporting those that need it...not those that ONLY want it...I see that as two different things entirely. And I completely support those that have earned it, such as retirees and the dissabled. That is not who I was refering to in my comment.

edit to replace mention with suggest...fyi

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The real trouble with the economy is

The real trouble with the economy is no one will buy anything from each other. Has to be from a big brand, or a recognizable name, or American's won't buy it. Not on the whole, anyway.

Say you have a bunch of artists trying to sell drawings for a mere quarter of a C note. Further that they all have the extra money to buy two. These same people absolutely will not buy from each other. Even if they like the picture. Probably go to Walmart instead.

Here we have a bunch of people trying to make twenty five dollars, but no one will buy from each other. There are a lot of reason why. "What will I tell my friends if I buy this drawing, no one knows this artist. They will think I'm dumb." A few artists may have compelling stories to go with their drawings, and they may get some sales, but the purchaser is buying the story. Not so much the drawing. They may tell their friends the story behind what they bought, while it sits unopened in their home.

Mostly though, it is the forty years of conditioning that has taught America that home made is junk and not worth the money. It has to have that corporate polish, or that famous endorsement, or that compelling life story behind it.

Precisely at the moment that the megacompanies are taking off into orbit and leaving people behind all Americans seem to be doing is throwing their money toward the sky trying to buy more of that corporate polish. If one really wants to make a difference in the economy start spending 3% of your income on your physical next door neighbors.

Kids will gladly wash cars for cash. Maybe that retired person wants to cook something for cash and deliver it hot next Wednesday right to your door. Rent someones DVD for 5 bucks. I'm talking about money that would probably be spent anyway at a big box store, where the money will never return, instead of on your street.

If your money goes straight to corporate, it's gone. If it bounces down your street one or two times before it goes corporate then you have multiplied it's use. I have even started a small economy at work among my coworkers. When one is upset about something, then I offer to do it or solve it for a fee. Management noticed how much I was getting done and I got a promotion. Now a year and a half later I have been offered cash by a coworker to let them have my assignment. Did your hear that? A coworker has offered me money to do my task for me.

I know it's scary. I know it runs against our conditioning. But I've been doing this for a while now, and people respond well to cash. And they respond even better to cash providers.

Does anyone really wonder why there is so little craftsmanship anymore.

:|
David Grouchy

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

AND THATS A FACT
Just yesterday, my neighbor suggested to me we needed to have a grassroots movement toward production of products in the US, er small business success.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

No I don't have a degree in economics lol. When we know that every product produced is made at cheaper rates than the finished product. And that product is ultimately bought by the people that produce it. It is only a matter of time before the wealth trickles upward to those who own the businesses. The bigger the business the more money they get faster.

There are much more pure forms of capitalistic economics that reward hard work, service to community, and fair treatment of employees and consumers. It seems in this world economy it is destined to fail, by people that will gouge wealth at the expense of their country and community. I know there is an argument that we are not operating within a truly capitalistic economy, and I agree. I also believe that there are significant flaws in a truly capitalistic economy. Governments role needs to change to being concerned only with the people it serves and their welfare. That philosophy cannot exist within our current system, nor in any system of economics currently in place on the planet. We need to look at how tribes and natives live with each other without exchanging currency and integrate a balance between their world and ours.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I am from the uk and i am on benefits, i dont understand the american benefits, how come your cheques run out ours never do,some of the benefits are long term?

They run out in the USA simply because many people in America believe that nobody should get a free lunch. Thus the system is designed to give free lunches to only the hard up. There are caps in place that once a person makes a certain amount of money that is it, they are cut off. The same with unemployment, a person gets a certain allotment of money and when it's gone it's gone. We employ many hundreds of thousand across America to deny people benefits. Does that make any sense? Employ government workers who are paid top notch salaries, benefits, and retirements to deny the down and out food, shelter, and medical benefits. We have so many workers employed to deny ourselves benefits in every facet of life. Most people never are able to collect benefits from our government.

Our problem is the thinking in America. Why we don't just make all those benefits available without qualifying and the rich, middle class, and poor can use those services. We can employ the paper pushers in positions to help produce those services instead. You think the rich are going to line up to get some free food? I doubt it. Anyone that can afford housing isn't going to go get a standard government condo. There are a lot of solutions to our issues, but it's our thinking, are thinking that we won't profit from giving free lunches to everyone if they need it.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
all of this talk about total collapse.

California is going to do fine in the near future due to a new industry that will boom and rival other empires like the oil and pharma empires.

but i cant discuss what it is...or they will remove my post.

lets just say its "green"

then when all the other states do the same thing...next thing u know America is #1 in exports.

of course we will have to all secede from the union...big bro aint gunna let us just take the economy back like that.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Regarding smaller business success.

As a result you are looking to cut into big business success (obviously), but let me ask you why someone else that can do things more efficiently than you have to suffer/sacrifice because you want regulation on international commerce?

IMO you are slowing down the evolution of productivity this way in the long haul. In reality there is someone always better than you with very few exceptions. Figure out a way to beat them.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Nice little bubble of naivety you got there, but here's where it doesn't quite make sense. If the DEA doesn't enforce the greens, the whole world will produce it without fear. Supply and demand + decriminalization will drive the price down quite a bit.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder. why people are still confused about the direction this country is taking. If the leadership in Washington wanted to fix the economy then it would happen. Nothing changes. The elite controlled machine will stay the course to ruin for the many and a new age...only when you take off the blindfold and drop the partisan rhetoric will you see a clear agenda. Only then will some answers start to form. Like how to feed yourself or you're family in this declining stage without standing in a line for your twice daily government prepared GMO and MSG meal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join