It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Religion ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I would like to hear some of your opinions as to just what religion is ?

Is " religion " the belief in a supernatural being or is religion the excepted traditions that are associated with the belief structure of the supernatural being ?

I would bet that there are a greater number of people that would consider them selves as spiritual rather than religious , no ?

So what say you , what is religion ?

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Religion is society's detriment.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Religion is a word for a very broad range of loosly connected attitudes, practices, beliefs, moral codes, psychological aspects, searches for transcendence, healing, etc. It has social and political implications, and ties back into very deep rituals about treatment of the dead, rituals connected with coming of age, birth, family, marriage, sexual mores, and so on. It plays so many roles that its not a very meaningful word in an absolute sense. There is no firm division between religion and spirituality; the two interpenetrate. Religion also overlaps with so many other aspects of human experience, like social relations, even war and conflict. Its got its dark and abusive sides, and it can also be a vehicle for great personal realization and help of others.

If you want to look at the phenomenon in the broadest, most objective possible way, you've got to examine the role religion plays in human survival. That is, if it is such a persistant thing found among seemingly every known human culture, it must serve some basic and extremely primal human needs.

One idea is that religion is a way to deal with intentionality. The human brain is hardwired to perceive intentionality and lack of intentionality in movement. That is to say, your brain can automatically differentiate the movements of an animal (the animal is intentionaly moving) from the random movement of, say, a skittering leaf (which has no intentionality..its just being moved by the wind). The human brain has come to develop this skill to such a level that it has developed overtintentionality -- that is, it is hardwired to have an innate bias in favor of identifying movement as intentional. "When in doubt, assume a movement or change is intentional," says your brain. This also makes sense as a powerful survival tool: A man who mistakes a random leaf-movement for a hunting tiger survives longer than a man who mistakes a hunting tiger for a random leaf-movement.

Where am I going with this? Well, because the human brain is wired to see more intentionality in the world than there actually is, it seems as though the whole world were alive or animated by some kind of sentience. This opens all kinds of questions that are very real but can't really be answered rationally. People wonder "why" the clouds are moving the way they are -- what is their "intention"? What does it "mean?" They ask similar questions about the procession of the stars, and who or what might be controlling it. And for what purpose?

Such extreme perception of and attention to intentionaly, while being a great survival tool, also creates a conflict in the brain -- the higher-order command networks in the prefrontal cortex can't handle all this adrenaline-charged super-alert limbic system stuff about seeing intentionality everywhere. So the two parts of your brain have come to a kind of mutual agreement, as it were. According to this theory, religion serves as a way of dealing with reactions and conceptual thought arising from excessive perception of intentionality. It allows the brain to understand "why" things happen that appear to happen for a reason, but a reason that neither logical thought nor empirical obsevation can explain.

I wouldn't by any stretch say this is the only role religion plays, but its an interesting way of thinking about why people have a religious/spiritual drive in the first place.

[edit on 2/20/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Religion is an institute put in work to control by use of spirituality and peoples need for explanations.
Usually rules and specific teachings are in place. Peoples belief something presented with a lot of idiot bla bla bla, much easier.

They are easier convinced and because their belief comes from the mind. There are possibilities to influence the mind in such ways one would kill or be killed for it. ( Fundamentalism )
The opposite non or different believers, will attack or left out from their ways.

This is exactly what is going on in the world right now.

Divide and conquer !
Who's getting all the money ?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
re·li·gion
   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhumanagency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.

8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
—Idiom

9. get religion, Informal.

a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

Origin:
1150–1200; ME religioun (< OF religion) < L religiōn- (s. of religiō) conscientiousness, piety, equiv. to relig(āre) to tie, fasten (re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; cf. ligament) + -iōn- -ion; cf. rely

dictionary.reference.com...

Spiritual or Religious, not to far apart really.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

What is religion?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I do not agree with your explanation 'religion and spirituality can almost not be separated'

I think religion comes to be, when there are rules and lines placed to enclose and enforce a spiritual way and acting to it.

As long there are no rules or boundaries placed, it's not a religion.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I do not agree with your explanation 'religion and spirituality can almost not be separated'

I think religion comes to be, when there are rules and lines placed to enclose and enforce a spiritual way and acting to it.

As long there are no rules or boundaries placed, it's not a religion.

mmm...well, I see what you are saying...however, what would you say about highly-developed spiritual "paths" that involve great discipline and restriction...monastic Christianity and Buddhism, hard-core Tibetan Vajrayana visualization and mandalic exercises, etc...I would consider these highly spiritual/mystical things but in order to fully experience them, their practitioniers have to set very strict rules for themselves: conceptual boundries, boundries of behavior, and so on. Discipline. Rules. To me this constituates a "religion" as a more formalized system, but it also involves deep spirituality. It's not the "wandering Taoist" type mysticism but its no more or less valid.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Religion

c.1200, "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-Fr. religiun (11c.), from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," in L.L. "monastic life" (5c.); according to Cicero, derived from relegare "go through again, read again," from re- "again" + legere "read" (see lecture). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (and many modern writers) connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens. Meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c.1300.

"To hold, therefore, that there is no difference in matters of religion between forms that are unlike each other, and even contrary to each other, most clearly leads in the end to the rejection of all religion in both theory and practice. And this is the same thing as atheism, however it may differ from it in name." [Pope Leo XIII, Immortale Dei, 1885]

Modern sense of "recognition of, obedience to, and worship of a higher, unseen power" is from 1530s. Religious is first recorded early 13c. Transferred sense of "scrupulous, exact" is recorded from 1590s.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I haven't put a great deal of thought into the this but generally speaking I think religions are like rivers that all eventually lead to the ocean, the ocean being a more selfless awareness, a higher appreciation and respect for life, being at peace with yourself and others, loving from the heart, you know all the higher ideals stuff that involve taking the high road or turning the other cheek, or being peaceful, patient, generous and forgiving.

Some people are able to do this without using all the crutches, that are religious dogma or cultural theological distinctiveness. They can cultivate a good wholesome respectful life, doing good by their brothers and sisters.

The point is religions are means to a spiritual end.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I agree your right.

Maybe we should first have a definition of spirituality ?
I was aiming at all those people who belief in something or what, without the do and must part to practice it.

Oh... I just realised I made a little one sided perspective post on religion.

Of course there are also forms of religion where discipline and ruling is applied. I do think you can set a control religion apart from one without it.

Discipline to improve yourself mentally is useful if it's enforced to you.
Very much is when it is out from ones own faith and persistence in it.

[edit on 20/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I want to make it clear that I believe in God and that what I say is of my own personal opinion. I don't represent any group of organized thought makers so what I say, I say because you wanted some opinions and well, as they say everyone has one. So here is mine.

I think Religion is what stands between Man and God. Religion is in the middle with its agents of hell and damnation or divine bliss with nature and the such, but no matter what you call it, Religion is what stands directly between Man and God. Religion will always be standing there threatening you with its hands out using the money as the means to salvation and that my friend is not what Religion should be, but it is what it is.

While I don't usually throw the baby out with the bath water, but Religion is a four letter word that stands in the way of humanities true understanding of what God really is.

I prefer my personal communion with my God because I don't have to pay anyone to find him or talk to him. When I get stubborn and I need a lesson learned, I get shown. I have learned to pay attention and having done so, it has taught me over the many years that Religion is nothing but what stands in between Man and God. The sooner you practice not having to go to someone to make a call will be the sooner you're going to realize that you had a direct line "Red Phone" to the boss all the time because you are that important to him.

No one group or person is going to claim some direct link to God without being questioned for what that would imply and so as such I stay away from any group that says my God is better than your God because it proves first hand that they just doesn't get it.

Thanks for the posting, but just remember as opinions go, my opinion is attempting to be as honest and sincere as opinions will allow without all the burning flames and pits of hell jargon which so many zealots always bring up as proof of their Religions "Might" over others.

Believe as I do or die has never been an option for me and it never will be. I will die believing what I know and not until you have walked that road and seen the landscape from many places can you even begin to formulate a good idea of what God means to decent people all over the world.

If you were to take this poll from Russia, France, Germany or Italy, you would find some interesting view points, but sooner or later you would begin to hear from the real people that Religion represents too much of what is wrong with the world. Corruption and greed at all costs with no accountability for injustices committed in the name of Religion.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Scripturally 'Religion' is severally ThRESKEIA always 'an outward service' to humanity, never "spiritual" or determinative of 0nes' relation to GOD or Lord.

It is once used for 'a ceremonious piety', but still means 'outward' observance.

By this I would point out that even the most 'successful' in "Religion" are still OUTSIDE the real relationship with deity or "kingdom -within you"!
("If your righteousness be not greater than that of the Pharisees /separatists, you shall not in any wise enter into the kingdom /reign of heaven")

Righteousness /uprightness is the real concern, being "strait up" honest and sincere (as to GOD or Lord) in whatsoever you do.

[edit on 2010/2/21 by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

I would bet that there are a greater number of people that would consider them selves as spiritual rather than religious , no ?

So what say you , what is religion ?

[edit on 20-2-2010 by Max_TO]

I believe in the soul, yes, but not a person's design of course of cleansing. You're correct to assume this of some.
If you're wanting to know what religion is, take a whirlwind tour of your local churches. Fire up google maps, and when you zoomed in on a traversable region, enter "Churches" in the search bar. Go to the ones that sound interesting. Don't think you'll offend if you leave early, which you will have a natural tendency to do.

Most in these settings are really there to 'hook up'. No joke, cause you got the soul-free ticket to get out of the guilt associated, and The Saviour will cleanse you if they were not of a healthy nature; ie, STD.

I occasionaly attend one, and in fact hit one now and again. Although, it's under the scrutiny of local authority as I got in a bit of a tangle while partying on the streets. Got look good, you know?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Short answer for me?

Faith without proof.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think this pretty well sums up the whole system:

Religion is not the same as being spiritual. Religion is a corporate entity.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I agree your right.

Good point, though it should be obvious to us as "inspiration", to be "in high spirits" (though 'not' the alcohol type) and "spirited about" also!

Definition was for awhile lost on the "ghost" word in the Kings' English (a similar misnomer to the 'not' above), but insight to the underlying word(s) Biblical translated "spiritual" (like PNEUMATIKOS) is what's important!

Hebrew RUaCh "breath" (wind and 'lifeforce') as stamina like NeShaMaH and Greek PNEUMA as readiness -likewise. There is the otherwise non-physical PhANTASMA (an apparition) which confused it being rightly and actively understood.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU

I agree your right.

Good point, though it should be obvious to us as "inspiration", to be "in high spirits" (though 'not' the alcohol type) and "spirited about" also!

Definition was for awhile lost on the "ghost" word in the Kings' English (a similar misnomer to the 'not' above), but insight to the underlying word(s) Biblical translated "spiritual" (like PNEUMATIKOS) is what's important!

Hebrew RUaCh "breath" (wind and 'lifeforce') as stamina like NeShaMaH and Greek PNEUMA as readiness -likewise. There is the otherwise non-physical PhANTASMA (an apparition) which confused it being rightly and actively understood.

I'm sorry but I fail to understand what you're saying.

Maybe you can give an example of what it means how it's flawed know and what is the current translation ?

I would really appreciate it.

[edit on 21/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Religion is a human movement that seeks to unite or commune with Deity. What is bad is the fact that the state,big business or even corrupt individuals will infiltrate and seek to manipulate such a noble movement for their own material ends.

T

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Religion and religious teachings are based on a spiritual approach to life and as such are an extended metaphor for our approach to the ineffable...our relationship to the universe and life itself.

Nothing more, nothing less.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join