It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
OK the youth havent changed. Since you are so good at googling..

Google teen murders in the 50's

Google crime rate in the 50's

Google teen suicide in the 50's

Google crack coc aine use in the 50's

compare that to now

let me know what you come up with. Since all this is just the older generations imagination and kids arent actually worse the numbers should be about the same would they not? After all dont let facts and statistics get in the way of your argument.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I went to school up until April of 2000. I can honestly say that most of the nonsense was after this date. I think 9/11 was the turning point for America on many fronts. When I was in school people went to school stoned, drunk, even on '___' without much thought from the teachers. As long as the students could handle it, this wasn't an issue. There were many times when I recall doing things like just walking out of class because I knew I could, talking back to the teacher when she was giving out bunk info, and I remember many fights that never amounted to more than a 3 day suspension. No arrests, no expels, and by the end of sophomore year most of the different groups all partied together and made up differences. I realized sometime around 2004 or so that common sense had gone out the window already. I think it was 9/11.

reply to post by ker2010

Uh, I think you missed the point of the article. It was more focused on how authority has lost their common sense and gone somewhat insane in trying to control and socially engineer the youth.

Besides, I'm pretty sure your off on every statement you made. I've googled similar things. It's all increased quite a bit. One reason outside of demoralization and social engineering is the toxicity of the environment. Violence alone has increased 7 fold in the last few decades. Google shows suicides have tripled since the 1950's.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I went to school up until April of 2000. I can honestly say that most of the nonsense was after this date. I think 9/11 was the turning point for America on many fronts. When I was in school people went to school stoned, drunk, even on '___' without much thought from the teachers. As long as the students could handle it, this wasn't an issue. There were many times when I recall doing things like just walking out of class because I knew I could, talking back to the teacher when she was giving out bunk info, and I remember many fights that never amounted to more than a 3 day suspension. No arrests, no expels, and by the end of sophomore year most of the different groups all partied together and made up differences. I realized sometime around 2004 or so that common sense had gone out the window already. I think it was 9/11.

You just helped my argument NONE of those things you said went on in school during the 50's. You didnt have droves of people going to school high or talking back to the teacher. Yes you might have had one or two johnny rebels do it but it wasnt a common thing amongst the kids. This is not a opinion but more so a fact. You can argue till your blue in the face but schools were more productive and SAFE back then. Noone had to worry about their kids being sent to school and being shot or offered '___' or coke. Being in denial wont change those facts.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Which argument are you for now? You seem to be fighting both sides. Multiple personalities? I'm confused.

Ah, I see now. You edited your post so now I read the sarcasm. Well then the change has been incremental. I'm pretty sure it's changed quite a bit in the last decade. I guess it changes each decade.

Oh yea, there weren't many kids who stood up to authority in my time. It was only the rebels who did so. We were allowed to because we understood that the system couldn't control us, and that we could talk our way out of just about anything. This was far from common.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Google teen pregnancy in the 50's

-Why...teens were married in the 50s...if you knocked someone up when they were 14-15, you were getting married..be it through shotgun diplomacy or otherwise

Google teen murders in the 50's

-hard to find that statistic specifically, hard to even find crime rate, but did find a breakdown of stats for crime (below)

Google crime rate in the 50's

-Here is a breakdown of crime. Link of San Diego StatsThere is a spike in property/theft crime from then to now (we got more cool stuff to steal), Murder appears prettty steady...curiously nobody ever got raped in the 50s (mhmm, got a bridge to sell ya also) (incidently, cali will favor your argument far more than nationally)

Google teen suicide in the 50's
-cant find the stats, meh

Google crack coc aine use in the 50's

-Crack was not used back then, Link this is a little list of drug activity and issues of the 50s. The drugs of the day were reefer (madness), lots of pills and mood elevators (legal at the time), heroin, etc...coc aine was not overly popular due to a fairly poor import rate.

compare that to now

-as one dragon falls, another rises.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Everything changes as time goes on.
It's part of life.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Everything changes as time goes on.
It's part of life.

And when does it stop? When kids start having sex at 9? When more kids die of drug overdose? When their is a school shooting on CNN everyday?

When is enough enough? Are their no limits?

Afterall things change right?

Its hilarious how on one hand you have adults and teachers telling kids not to have sex. And you turn on the TV and see sexual content or sexual references in commericals or programs on EVERY channel. On the Radio its im gonna get tipsy and shake my azz. Im in love with a stripper!!!

Hey i got no probs with it im grown. But dont bitch about it when a kid comes up preg when this stuff is hardwired into their physc at such a young age through hollywood and media.

We as a society are hypocritical at best.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Name one person you've ever met who isn't a hypocrite, please..

You can't. Neither can I.

The whole world is screwed up, it's not just our nation. Humanity is inherently insane. Welcome to reality.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread543326

The whole world is screwed up, it's not just our nation. Humanity is inherently insane. Welcome to reality.

That we can agree on

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Stones put it best.

Time can change me, but I cant change time.

Things always change, evolve, some good, some bad. It will never stop, and should never stop.
Things that work will have a long survivability in society, and things that damage will fade away once the newness is gone. Youth will be youth, grumpy old men will be grumpy old men, and at least that may never change.

You can reflect forever on how what is behind is better than what it now or whats ahead...and thats the norm for people as they age, but to stop change or step back into some idealistic wonderland you have created simply will never happen...and shouldn't happen. Humanitys purpose is to evolve, year by year. Back in my day (the 80s) of growing up as a youth, things were ggggreat, so long as I dont remember how much they also sucked. today, things suck, so long as I block out all the things that are great.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This should give everyone a little to think about for a moment. Our loss of freedoms are criminal according to our constitution. Big brother has gotten WAY too big.

S+F

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I want to bring up one more thing.

Basically their was more consequences for your actions back then.

My granddad was a tuff SOB. Someone you wouldnt wanna mess with. He died at 84 .

My dad grew up with 9 brothers and sisters and his dad supported them life was hard. Granddad cared for them but you didnt back talk. If he had said or did some of the things i said/did while growing up his dad would have knocked him across the room and he would be lucky to be able to sit a month afterward..

I got away with stuff my dad could only dream of. And ill admit there were more than a a handful of times i needed my azz kicked. But now you cant spank kids.

I have a 13 /yo nephew and he gets away with more stuff than i did. I just see each generation getting lazier and more disrespectful. Maybe its all in my mind or my neck of the woods but i dont think so. But i could be wrong.

I also have a cousin who is a 3rd grade teacher. She said half the kids at the school act like they have no raisings at all. The parents seem to not care and the kids are disrespectful and some say things that would make a sailor blush.

And i think that although the 50's werent perfect I think the parents layed down the law way better and put kids in their place. And if we could have one thing from the 50's back that is the one thing we need!

Would it make the world perfect? NO! But it would sure as hell make most kids more respectful and responsible. Just like the military does.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Those 2010 scenarios are insane.. To me they sound unrealistic.. All of the 1955 scenarios are what would happen here where I live except scenario nr 1 (guns aren't very popular around here).
In most cases scenario 4 would be a bit different here too. Most people manage to explain their kids the consequences of such acts without whipping. A long lecture and no allowance is sufficient.
Also nobody needs to take their own aspirin to school. All schools have basic first aid supplies here.

If those 2010 scenarios are true then America is one f***ed up country..

Edit:
About the screwed up children.. The modern kids aren't the problem, the problem is incompetent parents.

[edit on 13/2/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is one of the best home made articles I seen on here. It is so close to the truth in each scenario. It is sad how pathetic society has been twisted from Christians morals, decency and independence that it once had.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by crusaderiam]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Scenario 64: Billy refuses to stand and recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag.

1955 - Billy is expelled.

2010 - Billy is encouraged to join like-minded classmates in singing the Barack Hussein Obama mmmm, mmmm, mmmm song.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
yea aside from the first example, you really don't have to go back as far as 1955 for most of these.

1995 would have sufficed, sadly enough.

although some are grossly exageratted(sp?) I get the point of the comparisons.

pretty crazy.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I do agree that the past might have been better than today in ways. These days it's just feels like it's too controlled/brainwashed and a lot of people are more paranoid. Feels like a huge prison state and people are turning against people for even the slightest or stupidest of reasons (like people calling police for stupid reasons).

[edit on 13-2-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'm a student of 2010 and these comparasons are too funny. I mean i'v seen alot of fist fights but I'v never seen SWAT show up.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by locoreese
I'm a student of 2010 and these comparasons are too funny. I mean i'v seen alot of fist fights but I'v never seen SWAT show up.

Stop derailing the OPs points with reality...he is rocking in his chair and talking about how kids of today are out of control.

let grandpa complain...one day you will be old and complain also and dont want some snot nosed kid interrupting your grumping with talk about reality!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusaderiam
This is one of the best home made articles I seen on here. It is so close to the truth in each scenario. It is sad how pathetic society has been twisted from Christians morals, decency and independence that it once had.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by crusaderiam]

And it all started when we allowed the feminists to pussify the education system 30 odd years ago after they hijacked the political scene.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join