It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This one had me Rolling...

Scenario 4: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1955 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

I agree with the other posters - we live in different times - plain and simple.

Try doing 1900 versus 1955 - wonder what THAT'd be like (?)

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thank you for this post. It is so very true and sickening at the same time. I don't see us going back to way things were until the machine we have created destroys it'self or us. Ah the good ol days. Both generations defined by a nuclear threat.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I guess this is some proof.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The good ole days. I remember back in the 1960's in elementary school practicing air raid drills. We had to get underneath our wooden desks. A lot of good that would have done if a bomb dropped on us. I think the desks would have killed us. I think it was Russia they were concerned would attack us.

Since they done away with these air raid drills, I guess if you get nuked theres no reason in trying to save the kids or anybody else for that matter. Hopefully the advancement in radar would catch something like this.

[edit on 2/18/2010 by Katie]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I personally carried a shotgun into my high school in 1975. Not once but probably 50 times. We hunted every morning before school, and every evening after school. It was far more secure to put the blunderbuss in your locker than it was to leave it in the truck outside.

The principal even checked out the action of my new pump when I got it...right in the hallway between 3rd and 4th period. It was not unusual to see hunting knives on hips in the hallways, and all most all males and even some females had pocket knives.

I can affirm that had a Columnbine incident happened at my school, it would have ended very quickly.

There were no law enforcement officers assigned to our school. There were only 3 or 4 police officers on duty at any given time in my city of 30,000. And yes they still had time for lots of doughnuts.

Perhaps it could be this way here because we had enough respect to all stand and say the Pledge, and mean it.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Seen this before, but it's always interesting to re-read.
My take is we should thank the system that is written, administered and bolstered by lawyers.(politicians)
Them and weak parents.
'nuff said

[edit on 2/19/2010 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It pains me to see this happening but its reality.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Yea... besides the fact that the 2010 response is grossly exaggerated for every single scenario its pretty funny. Things have definitely changed, but this article is more of a comedy than a serious comparison. It shows what will happen very rarely, if ever, to the 2010 student.

Good laugh though.

Those exaggerations could and do happen in this country.....but i get what you are saying..

I just took it as something to make us think about society and not really dwell on the details too much..

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight
I graduated in '99. I have to say my experience growing up was a lot closer to 1955 than 2010. Things changed dramatically after Columbine and 9/11. You're right, sad doesn't begin to describe it.

Yea I graduated in 03, and things are already different...

I graduated in 03 and my younger brother 3 years after and even from then it changed....but now having another younger brother in the same school, the rules are so different.....

We would not have let these things happen as students even in 02, 03.....we would have been outspoken and even allowed to speak out...

They have no choice now and the rules don't really protect the innocent , they just also make them the guilty party...

If kid A ( haha radiohead) hits kid B in the face and then keeps hitting him, the school expects kid B to have to walk away to the principles office ( while getting beat ) and go "tell" on this person....

If kid B even tries to defend himself and even pushes kid A away from him, he gets suspended for at least 3 days.....

These rule makers have obviously never been in these situations..

Back in 01,02,03 Kid A attacks kid B and kid B defends himself and after a bit the fight is broken up.......There are 10-15 witnesses who say Kid A attacked Kid B.......

They have a meeting and decide to just send kid B home for the day, but he is not found at fault because he was protecting himself and was just minding his own business.....

Kid A gets suspended for 10 days...

Even within 7 years, things have changed dramatically ...

My lil bro has to wear a badge around their necks at school for identification because 2 years ago 2 random girls from a different school walked into his school and beat up a girl.....

If you forget to bring your id badge more than 5 times, you can be suspended..

That is just retarded .....

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hello,
just from reading the post and being a highschool student myself, concerning the topic, id say that there is something not quite right about the schooling system itself nowadays. i think it is outdated. Growing up in the age of computers, the internet is one thing kids know and use frequently. it is at their disposal to educate themselves in matters/subjects that interest them. more hands-on education may be more appropriate. Sorry if this is somewhat irrelevant to your claims, but they are definitely notable too. Things are getting out of hand so some people can benefit from other peoples troubles.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Great thread OP!

There is a lot of truth in your content. I personally think that there are many factors and causes for many of these issues. With many immigrants entering the US more violence occurs. Hence why the police force using extreme measures to keep it under control.

Another problem lies with the fact that parents have little control with disciplining their children. When I did something wrong, my dad used to whoop me. Now you have the courts breathing down the parent's necks, telling the children it is okay to make mistakes. Parent lose control when children learn how much power they hold.

The fist fight part I understand. I am 23, and I have never seen a 1 on 1 fist fight not turn into a big brawl.

Another major factor is the fact that you have teens raising babies, usually single parent as well. Without experience and trying to make ends meet. Many gangs lurking in the shadows waiting for new recruits.

These issues we must fight a society.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I spent my teen years in a heavily conservative area in northern Indiana. I can tell you that if I brought a gun into the school in the 1970s, I would have been expelled. No but or ifs about it. I can guarantee you that the police would have been called over the incident. The school did not baby it's students. You brought drugs into the school you also got expelled.

I am not saying things haven't changed but policies haven't changed that much from my experience. What has changed is the students who have been treated like precious snowflakes by parents and expect to be able to do anything they want.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Oh my, i can't understand why in the world you'd get in trouble for that when you didn't hit back. I was somewhat in the same situation. Some girls were talking about this one new girl, the girl got upset they blamed it on me! and she fought me. I lost, but i got in the same amount as trouble as she. She hit me first. The school said they could press charges, but they'd have to charge me as well. I just couldn't believe it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

The thing that hit home the most here was the fighting thing. When I was younger, a fight would get you suspended for 3 days for the first offense. Now that my younger brother is in school, you get five days for the first offense, recommended expulsion, and you're lucky if you don't get carted away in a police car.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join