It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Originally posted by crusaderiam
This is one of the best home made articles I seen on here. It is so close to the truth in each scenario. It is sad how pathetic society has been twisted from Christians morals, decency and independence that it once had.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by crusaderiam]

And it all started when we allowed the feminists to pussify the education system 30 odd years ago after they hijacked the political scene.

*puts on his best hillbilly accent*
Naa, it was when we let dem colored folks start votin I says, they brought dem colored ideals and next ding ya noes, the youngin's start listenin to that ***gah music...have ya seen dat elvis guy swingin his hips an makin all tha morals fly out tha door with his colored music? I tell ya, back in my day that man woulda been taken out an shot by my pappy. These kids today are outta control because our american values have been trashed by lettin in these coloreds...you hear that sally actually said she wanted a job? hahaha...damn woman dont know her place..if I was her husband, I would give her a good slappin to teach her a thing or two.
*snaps out of it*

---sorry, just channeled a 1955 older man for a second.--

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Universities 1955 v. 2010.

1955 - 80% of students are male and 20 years after getting their degree over 90% are using their degree to make a living and support their family.

2010 - 70% of the students are female and 20 years after receiving their degree less than 15% of women are actually using their degree to work and make a contribution to society.

===

Considering that over 85% of the real cost to put a student through university is subsidized the the taxpayer this represents a MASSIVE rip off to society when these women largely don't use their degree to earn a living and pay taxes.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My dad was a teen during the 50's. So I asked him if things were better.

Many of them came to school drunk or smoked weed and had sex while at school. It was easy back then because nearly every adult would buy booze for the kids.

During the public prayer in school they just chatted with each other and ignored it, drank liquor, or made fun of the prayer guy.

Everyone smoked cigarettes, It was American and cool! He got his first pack when he was 5.

Pregnant girls everywhere-Either married off young or they sent her away to visit a relative (She gives the child up for adoption and shows back up 9 months later still a virgin)

He and many friends would break into abandoned warehouses and homes to steal things or party in them.

He was failing school because his father made him skip to work on a hog farm.

His father beat his mom with a bull whip and the police thought it was funny and laughed at her when she complained. When she refused to fix him lunch after she worked all day he took a heated frying pan and stuck it to her face.

Men like Grandpa joined with his gang of other Southern Baptists to taunt and hunt loose black folk walking on the street especially those seen walking in a white neighborhood and used baseball bats on them. The police also supported this and even joined in.

Grandma was paid nothing for working in the local factory. She was given credit at the company store.

When Grandpa died of a heart attack Grandma in a fit of laughter burned all his things on the front lawn. The younger generation have not seen so much as a photo of the man because none exists anymore. In all reality she never loved the man and really hated him. Her father had pawned her off to be married by kicking her out of the house if she refused when she was 12.

Women folk were in terror because a serial killer was chopping heads off and having sex with corpses.

Grandma became somewhat of a herbalist and healer. The same Southern Baptists above tried to burn her house and had declared her an ugly burnt faced witch.

The suspected gay folk just fled this small town atmosphere and moved up north to become wealthy doing art, starting a clothing store etc.

The good things he recalled were the music, meeting mom, and people being less restrictive to their private property. He says that people got their idea of "The Good Ole Days" by watching too much television such as Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver, Lassie, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, I love Lucy etc. which was far from reality.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Almost seems like United States is the testing ground for psychic warfare against the population, considering how much it has changed.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Here is what I remember from the Late 50's high school experience: a poor white boy twice being attacked by a PE coach twice his size with no warning, once in the hall, once in the cafeteria by the goon. The coach tried to deck a tall black basketball player with a broken arm (he started yelling and threw a punch) and the kid moved his broken arm cast and knocked the coach down the stairs (kid was expelled). Girls being 'paddled' for being late. The kids being brutalized were NEVER the kids from rich homes; the 'favored' kids got passes for any kind of infraction. Teachers throwing us out of school at 2:30 in drrenching midwest rain because the bell had rung (we had 2 shifts, the school was so crowded). Who owned the school? The kids from well off families with influence; and they knew it. Teachers rat packed on poor or minority kids. It was NOT a good time; it was classist, biased, racist, sexist (girls could not take shop or drafting required to take cooking and sewing and no pants or slacks allowed at a public school although temps go -20 F below). I now teach high school. I agree with the law against corporal punishment...the punishment was always aimed at the kids with no clout. In our high school students must pass 4 years of English, there is no ELL classes. Do some research, you are sneering at the improvements in the system. The 50's were a hell hole time; don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise....unless you were a comfortable, middle to upper middle class person. Most of us weren't, despite all you hear.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Very nice thread............i surely do miss the old days.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Anytime I hear people making these ridiculous "good ol' days" arguments, I'm reminded of this video:

The Good Ol' Days

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Let's see if any of you could pass the 8th grade in 1895!!!!

www.barefootsworld.net...

Most college professors couldn't pass the test!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Your thread is nothing more than a comment posted on a blog on freerepublic, a neocon website. And it sounds like something Glenn Beck or any of the other Fox News Political Commentators would say.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

Let's see if any of you could pass the 8th grade in 1895!!!!

www.barefootsworld.net...

Most college professors couldn't pass the test!!!

wow, holy crap...some of those questions were stupid hard. how simplified we have made our education. Probably because theres soo much to learn and more year to year that these basics are simply cut out..

but still...damn, thats one incredible list you dug up.
turn of the centure educated people were indeed elite (probably also why soo few back then had a education to begin with.).

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

1955 - Ants die.

...LOL

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
"Scenario 6: Pedro fails high school English.
1955 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English."

Ya that wasn't racist. Not sure if you were the first to post these situations on that site but... MODS PLEASE. This could have been anyone else. I'm hispanic and my english is a thousand times better than most of my caucasian friends. Spanish was also my first language. Sorry, I'd like to think that wasn't an overtly racist comment but it was.

Now to continue with the whole theme... times have definitely changed. While I agree with you on some things, there is not one instance when hitting someone is appropriate. We aren't savages, things can be resolved without violence no matter what the level. While growing up, I was beat by my father a billion times for the smallest and stupidest things. He honestly felt like he was in the right because he said that's what would happen to him when he was younger. While I don't doubt that's what happened to him, it's definitely not right. Atleast not to the point that my father took it and I have a feeling that the level he would take it to with myself and my siblings is exactly how he got it when he was younger. Somedays my bruises covered my back and all the way down my legs. It would hurt so bad while I was at school that I couldn't bear to sit in my chair. Somedays my teacher would ask me what happened to my eye and I would have to lie and say that me and my brother had gotten in a fight. I don't think my father was a crazy, or intentionally trying to beat us as bad as he did but when you're in that state of resorting to violence, your mind is clogged and you cannot think clearly. He's just a product of his raising. It still drives a wedge between us till this day. He still feels he was in the right and will not apologize and I cannot give him the total respect a son should have for his father because of that. I will never hit my child when I have one of my own after experiencing the damage that it did to me. I grew up scared out of my mind and that's not right. A child should have no worries. It's supposed to be the most care free time of your life. A time you will never get back and now mine was ruined. Don't put your kids through that. They will only grow to resent you, have less respect for you and maybe even hate you.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u

My dad was a teen during the 50's. So I asked him if things were better.

Many of them came to school drunk or smoked weed and had sex while at school. It was easy back then because nearly every adult would buy booze for the kids.

During the public prayer in school they just chatted with each other and ignored it, drank liquor, or made fun of the prayer guy.

Everyone smoked cigarettes, It was American and cool! He got his first pack when he was 5.

Pregnant girls everywhere-Either married off young or they sent her away to visit a relative (She gives the child up for adoption and shows back up 9 months later still a virgin)

He and many friends would break into abandoned warehouses and homes to steal things or party in them.

He was failing school because his father made him skip to work on a hog farm.

His father beat his mom with a bull whip and the police thought it was funny and laughed at her when she complained. When she refused to fix him lunch after she worked all day he took a heated frying pan and stuck it to her face.

Men like Grandpa joined with his gang of other Southern Baptists to taunt and hunt loose black folk walking on the street especially those seen walking in a white neighborhood and used baseball bats on them. The police also supported this and even joined in.

Grandma was paid nothing for working in the local factory. She was given credit at the company store.

When Grandpa died of a heart attack Grandma in a fit of laughter burned all his things on the front lawn. The younger generation have not seen so much as a photo of the man because none exists anymore. In all reality she never loved the man and really hated him. Her father had pawned her off to be married by kicking her out of the house if she refused when she was 12.

Women folk were in terror because a serial killer was chopping heads off and having sex with corpses.

Grandma became somewhat of a herbalist and healer. The same Southern Baptists above tried to burn her house and had declared her an ugly burnt faced witch.

The suspected gay folk just fled this small town atmosphere and moved up north to become wealthy doing art, starting a clothing store etc.

The good things he recalled were the music, meeting mom, and people being less restrictive to their private property. He says that people got their idea of "The Good Ole Days" by watching too much television such as Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver, Lassie, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, I love Lucy etc. which was far from reality.

I still stand by the fact their were no school shootings and most people fist fought and left it at that. Back then you didnt have to worry about beating someone and them going to get a gun to blow your head off.
Also ask your dad if he ever talked back to his father and if he did what happend.
[edit on 13-2-2010 by ker2010]

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
While the extremes were listed, they use satire to illustrate the differences. Its an excellent tool that is rarely used nowadays because the majority of people just cannot comprehend what is being done.

I have my own list:

1955: Kids didn't walk around with their heads down staring at an IPod or Gameboy. If they did, the parent would smack em upside the head and tell em to pay attention.

1955: When a child talked back, they were corrected.

Now: Allow them to freely express themselves with no consequences to the nature of what they are saying

1955: Football, baseball, basketball, hockey.....etc, were freely played and children did so. Yes some got hurt, but that is what life is about. Being defeated and getting right back into the game to do better.

Nowadays: don't let your kid ever experience defeat because it will hurt their morale and they will become the next Colombine kids!

1955: Bullies were around, just as they are around today. A wise parent in the 50's would instruct their children how to stand up for themselves, how to overcome that obstacle in their lives.

Nowadays: non-confrontational approaches and zero-tolerance for anyone willing to stand up.

1955: Kid comes home with an F or even a C for that matter in a subject in school. That child was punished and held to a higher standard. Parents helped their children achieve and generally hoped and wished their child would be more successful than themselves.

Nowadays: You are lucky to even see an F or a C for that matter on a paper or report card....so parents have no idea if their children are not grasping a concept or even the basics in school.

EDIT*** On this note, my son brought home someone's school work by accident and while I was going over it.....the child missed 3 questions out of 10 and still had an "A" on the top......WTF IS THAT???? Maybe my math is out of date because that is a low C where I come from.

What a sad day it is and I will tell you: It is hard raising my two boys the way they should be raised in the mounting crap and against the 'society norm' of today.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is great. I have read that before in a chain e-mail a while back. I wish everyone thought like that. Its ridiculous how people are so sensitive these days about everything. Ahhh to live in the simpler times.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Saturn isn't it sad what kids of today are being fed....which is nothing. They run them through school without ever really learning anything. The basics....Reading, Writing and Arithmetic are just passe and knowing your body, sexuality and Global Warming are in.

While those subjects may be important, the previous ones are far superior to a human being and will benefit for a life time.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge

Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1955 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack...
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 5: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1955 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock..
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations... His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Hahaha those two are funny yet true facts of the school systems these days. Weapons, fights and drugs are definitely being cracked down on in high schools.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

"HIGH SCHOOL -- 1955 vs. 2010"

Scenario 1: Jane, 13 years old, caucasian, blond actually, is going to school in your bicycle, getting down the road, when she falls on the ground, hurting her legs, maybe a pulse fracture. James, 30 years old, afro-descendant, shows up on the road, gets to help Jane girl. He bends, check the injuries, she screams in pain. Carl, Bob and Steve, 20, 25, 28 appear in a truck to see what is going on.

1955: They stop, get off the truck with baseball sticks, cussing and screaming to James to stay away from the girl, they beat James in the head, body, James got knocked out and wakes up hung on a tree, by the arms, but it's his lucky day, because he was not hanged, shot or burned.

2010: They stop, offer a ride to take Jane to the hospital, they got tankful to James and offer him a ride to his work.

Scenario 2: Tim is climbing some mountains by himself, nobody is with him, then suddenly he slides drifting along the cliff, falling into a crack and getting stocked between 2 rocks. Nobody knows the exact place where he was climbing.

1955: He got some injuries, a knife, some minimal food and water. He got 3 alternatives: Scream to help, cheer to be found before food and water got finished or kill himself with the knife.

2010: He checks his Suunto wrist watch with altimeter, barometer and a compass. He see the coordinates and height and he gets his cellphone, that has no signal but he sends several messages and emails to everyone in his agenda. Two hours later, Tim is safety in home.

Scenario 3: Tina Chang, 18 years old, smart and cute girl, she has cancer in bone marrow, leukemia, actually. She was admitted to the hospital and needs an urgent transplant.

1955: The oncologist staff can do sh*t 'cos the first bone marrow transplant was made in 1959, and even if they were in 1959, Tina Chang probably would be managed with morphine 'til she die 'cos she's Asian and the chances of the hospital oncologists strive to find a donor in the local Asian community, would be one in a million.

2010: Tina is admitted and registered in the database of donors, which is part of a national computerized network, capable of facilitating transplantation in up to 70%. The chief surgeon who is following her case, is Korean. Welcome to 2010.

Who posted this thread can't be serious... Can be???

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55a2f697ce81.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Right on Brother, I wish I could write that good but I guess I'll just have to make you my friend.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
There is much truth to what the OP says. In a way we should respond to many situations the way they did in 1955. Kids are different today and the consequences of behavior are much different.

John and Mike do not get along. John believes Mike is saying disparaging words about Mike behind John's back.
1955: John and Mike get into a fist fight
2010: John and Mike get into a gun fight.

Freddy has an alcoholic father. Freddy often sees his father come home in a drunken stupor.
1955: John is the kid in the class from a "broken home."
2010: John is pretty well off. At least he has a father.

Sammy had sexual relations with Suzy. Almost everyone in town had sexual relations with Suzy.
1955: Sammy gets a penicillin shot and everything is okay.
2010: Sammy has herpes.

In some ways, the 2010 way of handling things is better.

Suzy is gang raped by the football team and gets pregnant.
1955: Pretend nothing happened because we do not want to ruin the boy's lives. Suzy drops out of school and has the child.
2010: Prosecute the football team for rape. Suzy can get an abortion.

Ellen and Johny are going steady. Ellen gets pregnant. What Johny does not know is that Ellen has been messing around with Mike behind Johny's back. (Which is probably why Johny and Mike got into a fist fight.)
1955: Johnny marries Ellen. He throws away his dreams so he can raise Mike's child.
2010: They go on Maury Povich. Johny finds out he is not the father.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join