It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+88 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Just a little reminder of the way things used to be! No wonder people refer to them as the "good ol' days"!

(For the record,I wasn't even born yet in 1955,but I am old enough to remember common sense!)

From www.freerepublic.com...

"HIGH SCHOOL -- 1955 vs. 2010"

Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1955 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack...
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1955 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3: Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1955 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD... The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1955 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1955 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock..
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations... His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6: Pedro fails high school English.
1955 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1955 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.. The FBI investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1955 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy

I wish I had the words to describe how this makes me feel. "Sad" doesn't even come close. What a shame that this is all kids are going to grow up experiencing.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Things have changed dramatically since then in all aspects of life. It's like a different world. There is more violence. Kids these days can't even get an education without worrying about who may shoot or stab them for no reason at all.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great dude, S&F!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I was just appreciating your "signature",about Courage...It really takes alot of that these days to face reality as it stands.

I never imagined the future would be this depressing.(To me it is,anyway.)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
don't have time to read it all now, but seems good

*bookmark*

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Yea... besides the fact that the 2010 response is grossly exaggerated for every single scenario its pretty funny. Things have definitely changed, but this article is more of a comedy than a serious comparison. It shows what will happen very rarely, if ever, to the 2010 student.

Good laugh though.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I graduated in '99. I have to say my experience growing up was a lot closer to 1955 than 2010. Things changed dramatically after Columbine and 9/11. You're right, sad doesn't begin to describe it.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Having done my schooling from 1993 - 2006, I have to say that I don't think the line was really crossed until midway through my schooling. I can remember as a youngster some of those things that are marked with a 1955 taking place but somewhere along the line, though I'm not sure where, all of that changed and life became completely different.

Perhaps it was just my rural school catching up with the times, perhaps it was Columbine rearing its ugly head, or perhaps 9/11 had something to do with it, but I definitely was able to see the change as it happened.

It really hit home with the fight situation. I was never really much of a fighter but it happened to all of us occasionally. I remember in the earlier years when someone started a fight we either went through with it and worked it out, or the instigator got in trouble when caught. I remember in 2001 when I was at a sporting event and a fellow student came up to me thinking I was someone else and decked me in the face. I didn't retaliate and there were plenty of witness to what happened, however the school gave me the choice - I could get him in trouble for it and he would be suspended for 10 days and banned from sporting events, HOWEVER, they would have to do the same for me. That was when it really struck home as to how much the "system" had changed and how much living had become a part of that "system".

But I digress, personally stories aside, it saddens me to see what the world has become today which is why I feel so adamant towards changing it. We as a society have gone so far off track that we don't even recognize it, in fact, we can't even see the track any more.

It is disappointing really.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Haha, that was a great laugh!

Well - still being in high school, the only extreme thing that has occured is that a girl was expelled for swearing at a teacher. Oh and another was because she texted her mum to take her home 'cause she felt ill. Lame or what?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark.
They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

This one struck a bit close to home for me. During junior high I was once in a fight in which only one punch was thrown. It hit me square in the chest. Rather than punching back I informed a teacher. The result? We were both given detention for fighting.

That single event probably did more to fuel my contempt for authority than any other event in my life.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
My God...how well the scenarios in this OP remind me of what school was like
in the 50's and early 60's. This is a perfect example of what happens when common sense ruled rather than one size fits all legislation and zero tolerance
approach to all human behaviors.
As for when it all started to change, looking back I can clearly recall when it all
started ...the the writings and opinions of the social engineering types like Dr. Benjamin Spock.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Seem a bit more like when I went to school in the late seventies and early eighties.

I can remember walking through the neighborhood with a 12 & 20 gauge shotguns and sometimes a holstered pistol on our way to just go shooting. Less than a half a mile away was a 6k acre tree farm that was next to the national forest.

Today the tree farm is broken up a bit, & the National forest hasn't changed, but if you walked through the neighborhood with guns you probably wouldn't make it to the forest boundary without getting stopped by the sheriff because the neighbor called them.

What's mostly strange is people that wouldn't of done anything 30 years ago would call the police on you today.People have been changed or programmed.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I'm only 15 and can honestly say I would the 'Leave it to Beaver' lifestyle way more than the lifestyle we have today. Life is so freakin' boring!
You can't do anything now-a-days without being told not to do the most innocent of things, parents even have their kids on leashes! In the '50s people we free to be who they are and as long as they did not hurt anyone, break anything or steal anything they were free to do just about anything. Now we have so many damn laws you need over 500 different types of lawyers!
If we ever returned to the lifestyle of the '50s I would finally be happy.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Yea... besides the fact that the 2010 response is grossly exaggerated for every single scenario its pretty funny. Things have definitely changed, but this article is more of a comedy than a serious comparison. It shows what will happen very rarely, if ever, to the 2010 student.

Good laugh though.

1st of all this is no laughing matter.
I for one do not enjoy the NAZI lifestyle that so many of you seem to think is no big deal or a laughing matter.
The OP is right on que . Our school system is more like a the Penial system. I have seen kids jailed and shackled in court for climbing up on top of the school,water tower....for haveing a non working disambled shotgun in the truck off campus .....for writhing an essay on how they hated school....for texting a pic of boobs....caught doing drugs like beer and pot.....for fighting.
I live in a town of 2000 aprox, Senior class size is , you ready--30....once a year now the cops show up, lockdown the school and do drug sweeps....the never find nothing. Its insane.

I cant wait to see this system fall so we can get back to the way it is supposed to be.

s&f

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

I am so glad I am home schooled
I know what it is like in public schools, you can't do jack squat! When I was in 8th grade the teachers had to walk us in a single file lign to lunch, that was rediculous. I only saw 2 fights in my years in Middle School and the first time the campus police officer came and tazerd the guy who was defending himself, then he was arrested while the one who started the fight was set free. This is why there are school shootings, because students can't vent their anger through fighting they have to keep it bottled up until they snap and kill innocent students. The school system is F'd up big time! They treat you like it is boot camp and you are pre-schoolers. If someone showed up with an empty gun to school there would be serious hell to pay, maybe even a helicopter may get involved.
I hated those once every 3 months drug searches, they are acting like it is a prison!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Agreed. The sad thing is that its not just the schools anymore.

Shoot your paintball gun in your own back yard....fine,confiscation,jail

No head lights on while windshield wipers are in use ... fine and search car

Want to eat a fish or a turkey, no license=fine,jail and confiscation of property

No car insurance= fine,jail time

Stand in your own house naked = fine jail and label a sexual offender

Get a little tippise and want to skinny dip=fine, jail and labeled sex offender

Pick a plant that grows wild everywhere and has never killed anyone, and just stand there and hold it=fine,jail

Get into a scrap =fine jail

Drunk walking home=fine,jail

Stocking up for a 2012 disaster=fine,jail and confiscation

Old lady being difficult/guy in wheelchair/ fussy 10 year old...just Taser them.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Good thread.

These scenarios are very accurate, even though they're comical.
I remember just in the 90's how laxidasical things were.
So this just shows, progressively, how the morals in society change throughout the decades, because in each decade, students push the envelope until something or someone breaks.
Face it, the rules are changing because kids are changing.
Not because people just woke up and said, "Hmm...lets make it illegal to bring fireworks to school" or "Lets make any pills brought from home illegal". Same with guns in schools, drugs, etc.
These rules went into effect after an incident happened. Not before.

I honestly don't know who to blame, the students, parents, or staff.
Personally, I think its the moral decline of children. Not the teaching facility.

Children now-a-days are more aggresive, more destructive, and more evasive than ever before. Think about it. In the 1950's kids were always outside playing and keeping busy. Probably venting alot of frustrations and built up aggressions. They were definitely NOT sitting behing a TV, or PC monitor. *Insert prophecy quote here* I think there's a prophecy that says in the end times, children will turn against parents, but I can't remember it. If you look around, it seems more prevalent now than ever before.

SO:
Who do we blame? MSM? TPTB? The TV? (well, the TV is actually a good thing to blame)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
S & F

This one brought back memories, I graduated HS in 1978. Life was very much different but was starting to change in schools. My HS started a closed campus system, which meant we were not allowed to leave the grounds at all. I started a protest and was expelled...

I fought back with the ACLU, and was given home tutoring at the school systems expense, because my actions were non violent. Like another poster before me, I started to distrust authority. I graduated from a different school. But I feel that the changes actually started in the mid 70's, but thanks for the memories...

edited fro mis-spelling

[edit on 13-2-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I'm only 15 and can honestly say I would the 'Leave it to Beaver' lifestyle way more than the lifestyle we have today. Life is so freakin' boring!
You can't do anything now-a-days without being told not to do the most innocent of things, parents even have their kids on leashes! In the '50s people we free to be who they are and as long as they did not hurt anyone, break anything or steal anything they were free to do just about anything. Now we have so many damn laws you need over 500 different types of lawyers!
If we ever returned to the lifestyle of the '50s I would finally be happy.

Snap. I'm 15 as well. Yeah I agree with the bit that we're on leashes. Definately. I can't go out without them dropping me, or being in the same place I'm in.

I don't even think that people in those days used to be like our generation such as knifing people for pure pleasure.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
Just a little reminder of the way things used to be! No wonder people refer to them as the "good ol' days"!

(For the record,I wasn't even born yet in 1955,but I am old enough to remember common sense!)

From www.freerepublic.com...

"HIGH SCHOOL -- 1955 vs. 2010"

Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1955 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack...
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1955 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3: Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1955 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD... The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1955 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1955 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock..
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations... His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6: Pedro fails high school English.
1955 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1955 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.. The FBI investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1955 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy

I wish I had the words to describe how this makes me feel. "Sad" doesn't even come close. What a shame that this is all kids are going to grow up experiencing.

My friend, you have summed it up. Just this last week in the school corporation in which I work, the following happened. A teacher in an attempt to protect a student from an assault, was himself assaulted. The next day in another school, a 15 year old brought a loaded gun to school, for "protection". That is just two incidents in two days. Because of lack of discipline, students feel free to do pretty much whatever they want. The fear nothing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join