It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Yea... besides the fact that the 2010 response is grossly exaggerated for every single scenario its pretty funny. Things have definitely changed, but this article is more of a comedy than a serious comparison. It shows what will happen very rarely, if ever, to the 2010 student.

Good laugh though.

Have to strongly disagree with this reply. Just last week some clueless, brain-dead grade school principal in NYC had an absolute fit over a student having a 2" toy gun in his pocket and I believe even tried to expel the little guy. And there are hundreds of examples just like this one. I went to school in the 80's and to contrast the over-reacting imbecilic police state of today, I recall my Junior year in H.S. bringing my .44 to school for an ad hoc "show and tell" in the agriculture shop. Even our teachers were checking it out and the only consequences to me were an admonishment to make sure I left it in my shop locker until the end of the day. Today that would have garnered me national news exposure with a bunch of sniveling media heads delving into my past to see if I was on psych meds and a bunch of jackboots locking down the school. Back then, everyone drove to school, were permitted to smoke outside in a designated area, and ultimately grew up to become a much better class of CITIZENS then the fluorinated, vaccinated, half-retarded little drones of today. Sorry but contemporary life in this country sucks. I could go on and on with examples but you get the picture.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
No doubt, don't forget sex. Kids today think lesbianism is more attractive than anything, even if they don't want to do it. What's up, do we have Hustler dictating the rules now? As an adult male I can say honestly that girl on girl is a turn on and I have definitely gone there. But even with that me and my girls became monogamous when we became close. It's sad but it's not indeliberate, there has been an absolute motive to change the way people think. TPTB are pure evil.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

What? There aren't more consequences today than back then? You kidding me? Try going to a bathhouse and catching a disease from someone, you'll get one. Try having sex (or even making) with someone you have a crush on in class. Chances are, she or he has herpes. Like most Americans and the populations world wide.

Fast food nation? That we are and you know what, the kids today are going to be dead by age 60 from all the crap they're drinking and eating now.

Trust me, in 10 years this country is going to change forever as we witness a mass decrease in our population due to obesity today and crappy foods/drinks.

Oh what am I saying? Nothing will change. We'll continue killing ourselves.

As for young sex. Whatever. I hate to admit it but sex at a young age has always been happening. I know someone who lost their virginity at age 13...she's now 22. Sex is sex. I know I wouldn't want my kids doing it before they are fully educated but you know what? It's like pot, you may not like it but deal with it. Its here to stay.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Parents did not put up with the BS back then off kids that they do today.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think the biggest kick from this thread is everyone passing of extreme examples as if it was the norm. heh...if I am reading this right, every single person today has herpes and packs a gun to shoot anyone whom looks at them, alternatively every person from 1955 was a 70 hour a week working level headed person with a obedient intellectual child.

heres the real deal:

Joe and John get in a argument
1955: one kicks the others ass
2010L one kicks the others ass

Joe and John as kids enjoy.
1955: watching TV and playing games
2010: watching TV and playing games

Joe and Sarah are dating
1955: Joe tries to score...with occasional success
2010: Joe tries to score...with occasional success

Get over it...people are people, same then, same now. extreme examples dont count, else everyone from the 50s is a child molesting abusive alcoholic.
Heres a idea...are you sad that your kids cant goto school carrying guns? blame the parents that let their kids play with guns that ended up shooting other kids...stop talking about political correctness nonsense, if you could take a moment and be a flipping parent, the rest of society wouldnt have to protect ourselves from your nutcase kids. Stop giving them a friggin toy gun to play with in the first place you damn hillbillys!

Sad that you see kids playing with blackberrys, too bad. the reason why they werent head down in a gameboy in 55 is only because they didnt have one to begin with...thats it...kids werent different then, they simply didnt have the stuff we have now. you honestly think a kid would be playing with green plastic army men back then if they were given the choice between that and modern warfare 2? your delusional.

grow up, your childhood is over and its not coming back...you can also say some years back ruled also because you had all your hair then...but it wasnt the time that gave you your hair, it was your youth...same thing here, the times werent simpler...YOU were...being a kid is fun and simple no matter what the year.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Yes and the rebellion of the 60s and 70s show how wonderful that worked.

ruling in fear only works until they no longer fear you...then all your ruling is ousted.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

ruling in fear only works until they no longer fear you...then all your ruling is ousted.

Yes better to let kids run all over you, have no curfew, cuss you out, and do what damn well they please

Its not about fear its about respect and those are two different things.

Little Johnny says f#$# in front of his mom.

Does he say it again if she grounds him from the XBox 360 in which he'll probably just head over to his friends house and play .

Or does he say it again if she tells him to go out in the yard and pick his switche.
Then she spanks him with it.

I dont know the answer, but i know which one would have kept me from saying it again quicker.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Yes better to let kids run all over you, have no curfew, cuss you out, and do what damn well they please

Its not about fear its about respect and those are two different things.

That's funny. The former leader of my home country, Joseph Stalin, pretty much dictated his rule by that philosophy. "Oh, sure, they might THINK they're frightened of me, but I'm just teaching them respect". That's the reason he, and a few other leaders of the party, called the Russian people their "children", they felt that by being stern and strict they were enforcing a set of morals. What they were really enforcing was a sense of hatred and rebellion in the people they were "teaching".

Where does hitting a child with a belt cross the line from teaching "respect" and instilling fear?

[edit on 2/13/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well you tell me what has changed here are the facts plan and simple:

Fact # 1 (Provable easily by statistics)

Kids didnt shoot each other in the 50's like they do today.

Fact # 2 (just ask anyone over 50)

No meant NO you hardly ever saw any back talking or disrespect from a child out in public to their parents in the 50's

Fact # 3 (just ask anyone over 50)

Kids respected their elders more so today. (case in point my GF walking into food lion the other day. A 8 y/o kid unsupervised running around runs through the door bumps into her. She says excuse you he looks at her calls her trash and keeps going.

So you tell me what has changed?

Yep the political correctness, spanking a child is abuse. Oh no you cant offend nobody. I dont believe in illegal immigrants so now im a racist. Oh no i cant put up my Christmas decoration in public it might offend a atheist.

You people have feminized this country and made it soft as cotton.

You are of the Oprah Winfrey talk show types, im from the Steve Wilkos brand.

Tell it like it is no matter who it offends.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

You people? The chemicals have feminized people in general. Look into something called "endocrine disruptors". It's the plastics, man. Not "you people".

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Well you tell me what has changed here are the facts plan and simple.

Handguns were harder for children to get in most communities, and "gang" culture hadn't really sprung up in urban centers, apart from the small mafioso pockets, which typically didn't involve children.

No meant NO you hardly ever saw any back talking or disrespect from a child out in public to his parents in the 50's

Due to fear of a beating. Again, ruling through fear is not the same as teaching respect. If I told you that everytime you talk back to me, I was going to hit you, you would shut up for fear of pain, not out of respect for authority.

Many women wouldn't speak out against their husbands in public due to domestic abuse. Are you suggesting that when husbands beat their wives, they are teaching the women "respect"?

Kids respected their elders more so today. (case in point my GF walking into food lion the other day. A 8 y/o kid unsupervised running around runs through the door bumps into her. She says excuse you he look at her calls her trash and keeps going.

Well, clearly, your anecdote must be the rule, when it comes to children today. I occasionally have to take pediatric calls on the wards. I've seen some very well-behaved children and some very misbehaved children. It all boils down to the parents, just like it did in the 1950s. I guarantee, there were awful kids then, just like there are awful kids now. Bullies existed, so how did those bullies come about? They certainly didn't understand respect.

Nothing has changed, apart from access to technology (ease of access to guns), and a broader access to media. Of COURSE it's going to seem like there are droves of children everywhere who are shooting towns up. There is 24/7 news everywhere to cover it, which they didn't have in the 1950s. I mean, the internet alone dwarfs any sort of media coverage they may have had.

Yep the poltical correctness, spanking a child is abuse. OH no you cant offend nobody. You people have feminized this country and made it soft as cotton.

I never said hitting a child is abuse. I was asking where the line is. Please tell me when using a belt on a child changes from "teaching" to abuse. Is it when blood is drawn? When there are bruises? When it hinders the childs ability to walk?

Just tell me so I'm clear on where you stand.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This is PURE propaganda. The 1950's were far from perfect. Let's go back to women not being able to work too......

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Handguns were harder for children to get in most communities, and "gang" culture hadn't really sprung up in urban centers, apart from the small mafioso pockets, which typically didn't involve children.

How did gang culture happen? Maybe it had something to due with the neigborhood parents not helping raise the kids. Remember the day when if a adult saw a child misbehave they were able to correct the child with noone saying anything? The community helped bring up a child. Now this isnt PC.

Due to fear of a beating. Again, ruling through fear is not the same as teaching respect. If I told you that everytime you talk back to me, I was going to hit you, you would shut up for fear of pain, not out of respect for authority.

Many women wouldn't speak out against their husbands in public due to domestic abuse. Are you suggesting that when husbands beat their wives, they are teaching the women "respect"?

Strawman two totally different arguments a man has no right to beat a woman but a parent has a right to correct a child. How do we keep people from breaking the laws? Fear of imprisonment. So i guess we should'nt threaten people with prison for stealing a car or breaking into someones house because its fear tactics. Dont break the law or you'll be caged like a animal.

Well, clearly, your anecdote must be the rule, when it comes to children today. I occasionally have to take pediatric calls on the wards. I've seen some very well-behaved children and some very misbehaved children. It all boils down to the parents, just like it did in the 1950s. I guarantee, there were awful kids then, just like there are awful kids now. Bullies existed, so how did those bullies come about? They certainly didn't understand respect.

What has changed is the parents. A lot of them rather be friends than parents. They dont want Sally to think they are mean so they let her go online unsupervised on Myspace, facebook etc. Then when she meets a older man hooks up and ends up pregnant they wanna bitch about it. ( how could this happen!!) Well duh you let a 13 y/o surf the web and chat on community forums with no supervision.

Nothing has changed, apart from access to technology (ease of access to guns), and a broader access to media. Of COURSE it's going to seem like there are droves of children everywhere who are shooting towns up. There is 24/7 news everywhere to cover it, which they didn't have in the 1950s. I mean, the internet alone dwarfs any sort of media coverage they may have had.

My dad never heard of a shooting in school while growing up, Ive heard of several. They had television and news in the 50's

I never said hitting a child is abuse. I was asking where the line is. Please tell me when using a belt on a child changes from "teaching" to abuse. Is it when blood is drawn? When there are bruises? When it hinders the childs ability to walk

Beating and spanking are two different things of course drawing blood or leaving extreme bruises is overboard. Lets instead dope them up on ritalin, Adderall, Concerta and Daytrana and curb their appetite with the side effects. Space them out then they will behave.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Well you tell me what has changed here are the facts plan and simple:

Fact # 1 (Provable easily by statistics)

Fact # 2 (just ask anyone over 50)

No meant NO you hardly ever saw any back talking or disrespect from a child out in public to their parents in the 50's

Fact # 3 (just ask anyone over 50)

Kids respected their elders more so today. (case in point my GF walking into food lion the other day. A 8 y/o kid unsupervised running around runs through the door bumps into her. She says excuse you he looks at her calls her trash and keeps going.

Yep the political correctness, spanking a child is abuse. Oh no you cant offend nobody. I dont believe in illegal immigrants so now im a racist. Oh no i cant put up my Christmas decoration in public it might offend a atheist.

You people have feminized this country and made it soft as cotton.

You are of the Oprah Winfrey talk show types, im from the Steve Wilkos brand.

Tell it like it is no matter who it offends.

ok, its clear you have been indocrinated by the Beck diseased mindset....just telling you how it is.

As far as your girlfriend being called trash by a unattended 8 year old...my bul3s$#@ detector going off there.

As far as talk back in general to authority...I feel sorry for those kids that felt fighting for whats right is trumphed by how old a person is.

As far as political correctness...PC is another term for respect and manners....you are either for it or against it..make up your mind already

As far as shootings...so are you saying we need stronger gun control laws? what exactly are you suggesting with the nonstop guns...tell you what buddy, you can take my gun from my cold, dead hand (if I ever decide to own one that is)

You can literally crusify yourself on your property..be my guest, but the second you put your christmas decor on land my tax dollars is paying for, I will put the biggest satanic symbol right beside it....and encourage jews and muslims to put whatever they want up also...oh, and pagans, druids, etc etc etc. keep your mythos off my tax dollar supported sidewalk.

the mindset that wants to turn this country into some ignorant christian answer to the taliban has failed...suck it up.

who the hell is Steve Wilkos?

and finally, lets me say this on record. If your child is lets say...10 years old and your still spanking him/her...you as a parent have failed...you do not know how to be a parent, you have not taught them critical thinking and consequences, you lead only in fear and violence and your creating yet more sewage for society that will abuse their children just the same. I suggest you simply shoot the child verses teach them violence solves all disagreements verses discussion and cause/effect.

keep dreaming gramps (pfft, I am probably older than you anyhow)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The only thing I can say is....

Send your children.. if you want the best for them.. to private school!

I went to Catholic school, I went to Public school. The differences are so extreme it's hard to believe.. avoid state run schools at all cost.. you only do your child a misjustice.

Stay far, far away from Liberal run education.

[edit on 2/13/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I am in total agreement with the sentiment of the original post. However, I am reminded by something an old university professor once told my class, which is that "Two anecdotes, however legitimate, do not make a fact." Even if the original post is generally grounded in fact, you have to view it all in context. Something to ALWAYS avoid is the urge to come to simple conclusions or to seek simple solutions to complex problems.

First off, we are viewing 1955 from the vantage point of 2010. As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20 and I can guarantee things looked very different in 1955. Someone pointed out several posts ago that the society of the 1950s gave way to the counter-culture movements of the '60s and '70s. More importantly, no matter how it seems now, the 1950s were far from a perfect society. It is so easy to say society has decayed since then (in some ways it has). But in the 1950s, I'm sure many of your coutnerparts would've been saying the same thing.

How imperfect was life in the 1950s? Rates of alcohol abuse, familial abuse and incest were at some of the highest rates in this country's history. How many of you want alcohol and familial abuse in your family? How many of you want to have sex with your parents? And do I need to even ask if you think racism should be socially acceptable?

The fact of the matter is, there is no "better" or "worse" time in our sociological history. Every era brings a different set of challenges and problems, all set in entirely different circumstances and contexts. There are songs that I love listening to that I thought were absolutely lame when they first came out. Which perspective is correct? Was I right then to judge the song negatively, or was I wrong? Perhaps there is no right or wrong in this matter.

So the next time you start to believe that the society we live in today is just so awful and so wretched, realize there was someone just like you, 40 years ago, who thought the same about the society you mythologize. And remember, THESE (today) are the good ol' days!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Punishment only works on people who have something to lose. To some criminals gonig to prison is a vacation. They are not afraid of it. The same applies to kids. Some are afraid of being beaten but others arent.
Punishing kids only works when the kid is afraid of the punishment. There are cases where the kid's psyche is affected so much that he can't function well in the society. Many end up in a asylum or on the streets dealing drugs or whatever.
The only un-punished kids who end up being criminals are the ones who don't have real parents to support them as they grow up. The ones whose mommy is called TV and daddy is the voice on the phone.

Physical punishment is just an easy way to deal with problems the incompetent parents choose.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I felt like putting this quote up once more simply for the absolute relevance it has in this thread and is now buried several pages back...then I am off to curse the youth for awhile.

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.” -Hesiod 8th century BC.

Yep....its been going downhill since 800BC. Damn them kids and their iron swords disrespecting their elders anyhow...and those hooligans with their lute music..

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
When I read this - and it does strike me as hitting on truth - one thing really stands out - HOW OFTEN psychology and therapy are involved.

We accept psychology as a science. Could that be...a problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Beating and spanking are two different things of course drawing blood or leaving extreme bruises is overboard. Lets instead dope them up on ritalin, Adderall, Concerta and Daytrana and curb their appetite with the side effects. Space them out then they will behave.

That wasn't my question, quit dodging it. When does hitting a child cross the line from correction to abuse?

If you saw a parent hitting a child with a belt, when would you step in?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join