It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nkinga
reply to post by On the Edge

The only problem with the point you are trying to make is that since 1955..we have had the columbine shootings, teachers actually do abuse kids...kids do actually try to bring drugs into schools and those fist fights usually end up with somebody pulling a knife they had hidden down their boxers that have been sticking out all day. So, yes..1955 things were handled much differently..because things were different back then. its unfortunate but true.

I know,it is true,those were different times! It's the whole fabric of our world that seems to be unraveling and coming apart at the seams!

My thought on those school shootings were that this is what those kids felt they had to do to be "heard",to be acknowledged by society.

In a society whose light has grown dim,it's only natural that darkness would creep in to take over.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Just wanted to add a few more bits that I deem important to the little list up there...but will just do some basic stats

in 1955, if you were a woman wanting a fair waged job...lol...dont be silly, now get back in and make me dinner!

in 1955, if you were molested...suck it up, dont air family dirty laundry! (rampant molestation back in the 50s, all tucked away)...however, if it went overboard and you started molesting everyones daughter, then someone would eventually kick your arse

in 1955, if you weren't christian, you could be in a very dangerous position if you had shown your faith...and if you were an athiest...forget about it...pretend.

Sorry, I will gladly deal with the tolerance and freedom of self of today if it means some kid cant show off his shotgun at school. school is not a shooting range, its a place for higher learning...if you feel you need to bring a shotgun into school with you, then you might consider moving to pakistan or something.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Kids havent changed. The parents have

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Just wanted to add a few more bits that I deem important to the little list up there...but will just do some basic stats

in 1955, if you were a woman wanting a fair waged job...lol...dont be silly, now get back in and make me dinner!

in 1955, if you were molested...suck it up, dont air family dirty laundry! (rampant molestation back in the 50s, all tucked away)...however, if it went overboard and you started molesting everyones daughter, then someone would eventually kick your arse

in 1955, if you weren't christian, you could be in a very dangerous position if you had shown your faith...and if you were an athiest...forget about it...pretend.

Sorry, I will gladly deal with the tolerance and freedom of self of today if it means some kid cant show off his shotgun at school. school is not a shooting range, its a place for higher learning...if you feel you need to bring a shotgun into school with you, then you might consider moving to pakistan or something.

PFTTTT

1950's you didnt have to worry about sleeping with someone and catching a deadly disease (HIV)

You didnt see kids running around back talking their parents. And certainly not shooting up the schools.

Kids actually appreciated what they got, I know kids now that dont even get excited for Christmas!!!! Its just another day for them they got everything already.

People worked harder back then. I always laugh when people say well mexicans are hard workers. Yes they are. But you put them up againist the older generation folks. People who are 50-60+ some of these guys such as my dad would work you into the ground.

They had to work back then no ways around it.

Marraige meant something people stayed married and worked things out.

Their was actually good shows on the TV and radio. Now all you have is reality shows that have white trash on them they are so ego eccentric and want their 15 minutes and will do anything no matter how disgusting to get it!!!! No people having 14 kids or faking their son in a balloon to try to get a show.

Brain rot.

The pros far outweigh the cons and anyone who thinks differently is a idiot.

Im 35 so didnt live in them but im not blind. I see the world is going to hell in a hand basket. Soon kids will be smacking their parents and having sex at 8.

The 50's were better thats for sure.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Before I head out the door,just want to say that this thread just presents a little snapshot of where we've been versus where we are.

No one is claiming 1955 was perfect;there has never and will never be such a time on this earth,in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

PFTTTT

1950's you didnt have to worry about sleeping with someone and catching a deadly disease (HIV)

You didnt see kids running around back talking their parents. And certainly not shooting up the schools.

Kids actually appreciated what they got, I know kids now that get this dont even get excited for Christmas!!!! It sjust another dya for them they got everything already.

People worked harder back then. I always laugh when people say well mexicans are hard workers. Yes they are. But you put them up againist the older geenration folks. People who are 50+ some of these guys such as my dad would work you into the ground.

Their was actually good shows on the TV and radio. Now all you have is reality shows that have white trash on them they are so ego eccentric and want their 15 minutes and will do anything no matter how disgusting to get it!!!! Brain rot.

Sorry to burst your bubble but those things did happen back then. Appreciate what we have accomplished since then. We still have a lot to learn and change but I think we've come a long way since your "perfect" 1950's. It's scary to think that not long ago we had different bathrooms and water fountains for black people.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Naughty B0B

PFTTTT

Kids actually appreciated what they got, I know kids now that get this dont even get excited for Christmas!!!! It sjust another dya for them they got everything already.

People worked harder back then. I always laugh when people say well mexicans are hard workers. Yes they are. But you put them up againist the older geenration folks. People who are 50+ some of these guys such as my dad would work you into the ground.

Their was actually good shows on the TV and radio. Now all you have is reality shows that have white trash on them they are so ego eccentric and want their 15 minutes and will do anything no matter how disgusting to get it!!!! Brain rot.

Sorry to burst your bubble but those things did happen back then. Appreciate what we have accomplished since then. We still have a lot to learn and change but I think we've come a long way since your "perfect" 1950's. It's scary to think that not long ago we had different bathrooms and water fountains for black people.

Noone said the 50's were perfect. But take out the racism, and give women the opportunity they have today. Yes those are the two major strikes agianist the 50s. If those 2 things had changed but everything else stayed the same as far as respect, morals and work ethic they would be pretty good times.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't want to live in the 50's. No thanks. This romanticized view of the past is BS and propaganda.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In this topic we either have a bunch of youngsters who ARE SPOILED, thinking that their life is oh so horrible and want to live back in the day.

We also have the generation from the 50's, 60's, etc, where I would imagine it would be THEIR FAULT for changing how "life is".

After all, babies don't just pop out and change culture.

People work harder back in the day?

Works both ways.

Try taking college level classes, practically working a full time job at a fast paced restaurant, and keeping a social life.

I love my generation. To all of those who hate it, please stop using the beauties of it (phones, internet, such advanced technology booms, etc).

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Welp, call me an idiot, because I would find such a time as a living hell. zero tolerance for different opinions and no freedom of speech unless its mainstream tripe is, in my opinion, the defacto crap factor.

tv shows were great back then and suck today...ok, well at least your using hard facts verses just an opinion...lone ranger totally outshines battlestar galactica..mhmm.

Working? You cannot generalize how a entire population works back then or now, therefore your reflecting your personal work habits (psychology 101). All mexicans work great? thats a bit racist, dontcha think? I guess though in your worldview all whites are christian, all blacks are drug pushers, all latinos are illegals, etc. You need to stop generalizing sweeping traits on any race, country, etc....or not, your choice...but people that come to ATS typically want to think outside the box, not have steriotypes do their thinking for them..

I think that 2010 is not perfect, but societys libertys and issues grow pretty much in sync. There is no golden age of America, there never will be because whenever you push down one issue, another pops up (sometimes as an effect of what you pushed down to begin with)

2010 is a way better time, and anyone whom thinks different is...well, is entitled to their opinion (2010 tolerance at work there...)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
In this topic we either have a bunch of youngsters who ARE SPOILED, thinking that their life is oh so horrible and want to live back in the day.

We also have the generation from the 50's, 60's, etc, where I would imagine it would be THEIR FAULT for changing how "life is".

After all, babies don't just pop out and change culture.

People work harder back in the day?

Works both ways.

Try taking college level classes, practically working a full time job at a fast paced restaurant, and keeping a social life.

I love my generation. To all of those who hate it, please stop using the beauties of it (phones, internet, such advanced technology booms, etc).

LOL strawman. Noone is arguing that internet , TV, technology is wrong. I am saying their is more violence and disrespect, laziness among kids now than their was then. And that is a fact. Has nothing to do with technology just the way kids are brought up in this politically correct society where little timmy gets everything he wants and if he does wrong he goes in timeout for 5 minutes and all is forgiven.

But if you enjoy going to walmart and seeing kids running screaming and being disrespectful to other and the parents just allowing it to happen by all means thats your right.

Furthermore it more the parents fault.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
one last fairly important thing to consider.

Plenty of points about how 55 was this perfect age to raise children and how they all turned out wonderfully.

Yes, because as they grew up from their life lessons as children, the 60s and 70s was a wonderful time in America...the youth now in their late teens and twentys of the 60s/70s were obedient, never touched drugs, never lashed out against society as if they were tring to get back at their parents...ahh, the time of family and love that followed that.

heh. Judge a tree by the fruit it bears, not by all the noise it makes when wind passes through it. If the 60s/70s is the result of being raised as a kid in the 50s, then I would say simply by observing it, it is arguably a fail...but the fail created such a massive backlash that it served to change things for the better (libertywise)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

90% of tv is reality shows now. So you think most of that is quality programming???? You can have your Wife swap, big brother, the Bachelor. Id much rather have modern versions of The Munsters, All in the Family , GunSmoke

thats your opinion

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I am saying their is more violence and disrespect, laziness among kids now than their was then. And that is a fact. Has nothing to do with technology just the way kids are brought up in this politically correct society

Society does not raise your children, you do. Stop putting the role of parents on society, that is placing blame verses accepting it.

If you got a lazy kid that has everything, dont shake your fist at the media, the politically correct (yet curiously gone to far paradox) politicians, etc...look in the mirror and start being a parent already.

and dont use that bull about how society wont let you...that also is an excuse out of parenting. If your defacto response for everything is beat your child, then perhaps you should consider not having kids to begin with.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I am saying their is more violence and disrespect, laziness among kids now than their was then. And that is a fact. Has nothing to do with technology just the way kids are brought up in this politically correct society

Society does not raise your children, you do. Stop putting the role of parents on society, that is placing blame verses accepting it.

If you got a lazy kid that has everything, dont shake your fist at the media, the politically correct (yet curiously gone to far paradox) politicians, etc...look in the mirror and start being a parent already.

and dont use that bull about how society wont let you...that also is an excuse out of parenting. If your defacto response for everything is beat your child, then perhaps you should consider not having kids to begin with.

Thats just it! THE PARENTS HAVE CHANGED. Parents today are way more tolerent that parents back in the 50's. Go to walmart and see how some kids act toward their parents. You would not see that in the 50's

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

90% of tv is reality shows now. So you think most of that is quality programming???? You can have your Wife swap, big brother, the Bachelor. Id much rather have modern versions of The Munsters, All in the Family , GunSmoke

thats your opinion

90%? wow...got some stats to back up that claim?
I see your munsters and raise you a warehouse 13, caprica, and a host of other sci-fi stuff.
I see your all in the family and raise you friends, erm...other crappy sitcoms that are a dime a dozen, etc
and I see your gunsmoke and raise you CSI, Dexter, etc.

Your bitching not about the quality of programming, your true argument is that there is too much choice today. This actually I would agree with you on. there is no single culture now as far as the colorbox is concerned (tv)...and with more and more channels, people are less and less likely to be able to discuss good shows together...not because there are no good shows on, its the opposite, because there are too many damn good shows on. The argument that the media culture is withering into segments verses a united audience is certainly a credible argument...but I prefer my presets of science channel, discovery, sci-fi, and comedy network...none of which to my knowledge have any reality shows. I watched a single episode of american idol, and decided it was boring and stupid..I was not forced to watch more...I simply switched the channel.

Anyhow, I think this is not the point of the discussion...technology and choice has increased since the 50s...of course it has, and its better..flat out. But, the thread is about the morality of the people, not the cool gadgets we have.

cause if you want to use that argument, your in a losing battle..(and all the ones you mentioned are still played on nick at night..along with I love lucy and all the rest of the fairly amusing sitcoms of the day)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Go to walmart and see how some kids act toward their parents. You would not see that in the 50's

I rarely see people acting like idiots in the local walmart here...but sure, I seen kids being bored before, along with kids with parents being respectful...
Some parents have changed...aka, they cant be bothered to be parents. I would also state that kids of the 50s also got bored, acted up a bit also...if your saying never in the 50s was there a bored or bitchy child, then erm...I really dont know how to respond to that beyond just let you state that...delusions are sort of impossible to talk out of once the delusion is accepted as defendable fact.

Did you act up as a child? do your children act up without you correcting the problem? Why do you feel society is screwed but your ok?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Go to walmart and see how some kids act toward their parents. You would not see that in the 50's

I rarely see people acting like idiots in the local walmart here...but sure, I seen kids being bored before, along with kids with parents being respectful...
Some parents have changed...aka, they cant be bothered to be parents. I would also state that kids of the 50s also got bored, acted up a bit also...if your saying never in the 50s was there a bored or bitchy child, then erm...I really dont know how to respond to that beyond just let you state that...delusions are sort of impossible to talk out of once the delusion is accepted as defendable fact.

Did you act up as a child? do your children act up without you correcting the problem? Why do you feel society is screwed but your ok?

Ok do this. GO ask your grandparents if Kids this day are more spoiled lazy and disrespectful see what they say. If they say No hey guess your right.

If they say yes guess you would call them a liar.

Simple fact is there are more kids this day who have parents trying to be their friends than a parent.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Ok do this. GO ask your grandparents if Kids htis day are more spoiled lazy and disrespful See what they say. If they says No hey guess your right.

If they say yes guess you would call them a liar.

Simple fact is there are more kids this day who have parents trying to be their friends than a parent.

My god man, people have been complaining about the youth of today since ancient greece. I can pop out some quotes for you if you want...ya, let me do that real quick:

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.” -Hesiod 8th century BC.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
erm...it double posted *blames the youth*

Anyhow, Grandpa isnt lying when he says the youth of today are wild and out of control, no respect for their elders, blah blah...same that his grandpa said about him, and his great great grandpa said about his grandpa, etc...its a time honored tradition to say once your older that the kids are out of control today.

and your grandchildren will say once they are old that the youth of that day are out of control, not like the perfect time in history known as 2010 when kids were respectful, etc.

perspectives change when you get older...you forget the crap and remember only the sunny days...also forgetting what a pain in the arse you were as a kid.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join