It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I liked your post and realize it's not "all aussies" stereotyping is wrong, we must all judge each other on a individual basis.

Good post!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
But as immigration continues, and the government fails to protect your heritage and culture over that of an alien culture, that's when you start to see a growing resentment in the people.

I'm sure the lost generations felt the same way

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
I'm for immigration, I'm not for mass immigration.

This isnt' about immigration... i think
they aren't moving there to live only to study

How many of them will go back to their own country? For Indian, ZERO.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

Yes I agree and gave you a star.

Just the same, don't stereotype Americans by what you read either.

We all must learn to judge each and every person we encounter by their own individual merits.

(Guess that includes aliens if and when they ever show up)

(I'm trying to lighten up a very dire thread).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Very sad to see this headline. But racism rears it's ugly head everywhere, for the most part Indian natives are only there to further an education that is unavailable to them at home too.

Why does the color of a man's skin or his nationality spark such hatred in some? What kind of mind does it take to decide to hate based on such petty reasons? It is just an enigma to me, but I do think it starts at home, what the children are taught, more people need to address racial differences in their own homes, raise their children with respect for others, and not to fear those who are different and things can change.

Racists do what they do for the simplest reason: because they believe they can, and get away with it. racists are very arrogant people.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Maybe the media are the real racists. They know their actions will cause more attacks.

Very asute reasoning Nuclear, can always count on you to cut to the nitty gritty.

The media is trying to "stir up trouble" MANIPULATION at work.

Good post!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
While I would never put down a culture for what they believe, when the consequences of these beliefs create violence and racism, is it not our obligation to voice our concern?. Is the Aussie government trying to fix this problem? it seems like it has been going on a while and with no attempt to repair this issue its only likely to get worse.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
For the record....

I never tried to paint all of Australians as racists. For those who blame the media seem to be in denial. The fact remains these are examples of RACE/HATE crimes. Yes the media plays their part but to ignore the underlying causes seems to me to be irresponsible and down right dangerous.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
A tragic crime but still no evidence it was motivated by race. A quick and dirty search shows similar attacks are not uncommon.

AAP General News (Australia)

Article: Qld: Mother fears for family after son set alight

AAP General News (Australia) ; February 4, 2004 ; 497 words ... Qld: Mother fears for family after son set alight By John Sheed and Janelle Miles BRISBANE ... The mother of a 12-year-old boy set alight by an attacker after refusing to hand ... liquid from a blue sports bottle and set alight, police said. He was treated at the ...

Article: Vic: Woman questioned after man set alight

AAP General News (Australia) ; November 18, 2009 ; 254 words ... 2009 Vic: Woman questioned after man set alight MELBOURNE, Nov 18 AAP - A woman ... a manbadly burned when he was set alight in Victoria's northeast. Police ... poured over the man's body and set alight. Two people walking in a nearby ...

Article: NSW: Man set alight in Lismore

AAP General News (Australia) ; October 10, 2005 ; 199 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 10-10-2005 NSW: Man set alight in Lismore SYDNEY, Oct 10 AAP - A man is suffering serious burns after being set alight in Lismore on the NSW north coast. Police said the 46-year-old was ...

Article: Vic: Man set alight in robbery

AAP General News (Australia) ; April 20, 2005 ; 223 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 04-20-2005 Vic: Man set alight in robbery A 17-year-old man has been set alight in a violent robbery in Melbourne's north-east. Police say the man was walking along ...

Article: Vic: Man set alight in brawl

AAP General News (Australia) ; October 22, 2004 ; 256 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 10-22-2004 Vic: Man set alight in brawl MELBOURNE, Oct 22 AAP - A man was set alight and another was hit with a pole during a wild brawl in Melbourne's outer east early today ...

Article: Vic: Man set alight by his ex and her new ...

AAP General News (Australia) ; December 9, 2009 ; 361 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 12-09-2009 Vic: Man set alight by his ex and her new love: court MELBOURNE, Dec 9 AAP - A Melbourne man was allegedly set alight by his ex-lover anda neighbour she had taken up with ...

Article: QLD: Man set alight in Cairns

AAP General News (Australia) ; June 16, 1999 ; 254 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 06-16-1999 QLD: Man set alight in Cairns A 30-year-old man was set on fire in ... when doused with petrol in a Cairns schoolyard and set alight in October, 1996. PAUL WADE STREETON of Adelaide ...

Article: Vic: Second person charged after man set ...

AAP General News (Australia) ; April 18, 2009 ; 322 words ... 04-18-2009 Vic: Second person charged after man set alight MELBOURNE, April 18 AAP - A second person has been charged after a man was doused with petrol and set alight in Melbourne's north earlier this week. The victim ...

Article: Vic: Man set alight after dispute over debt, ...

AAP General News (Australia) ; May 25, 2000 ; 283 words ... AAP General News (Australia) 05-25-2000 Vic: Man set alight after dispute over debt, court told The Melbourne Magistrates Court has been told a man allegedly set fire to an associate in ...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A terrible occurance, but I'm not sure attacks like this usually happen without some hidden aspect to the story. There may be more to it.

Heritage not hate! There are ways to assert the love of your culture, way-of-life and identity but hateful acts are not one of them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous
The lad crews in Australia like to target indians in particular as they seem them as weak,

Exactly! Groups such as this are never truly identified by the media or society because it paints Australians in a poorer picture. I'm really sick of Lads not being associated as a youth gang like many other middle eastern and asian gangs. I wouldn't be surprised if problems like this keep arising with the indian community, that people in their community will look towards grouping together to form their own gangs to protect themselves. This has happened with every ethnic group that has settles into Australia.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
For what it's worth. Here is an Indian perspective.

Four students from India who had gone to study in Australia were assaulted

The attack, which was racially motivated, could have serious repercussions on the $3.5 million Australian education industry. Although the External Affairs minister of India, S M Krishna, has asked Australia to ensure the safety of Indian students, the behaviour of Australians towards Indians is at stake.

Indians have been subject to racism in Australia more often in the past, but nothing this serious had happened earlier. Even on the cricket field, the Indian players have faced racial comments.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
"Looks like it's flaring up again in Melbourne now. "
Poor choice of words! No pun intended I hope!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why does everyone assume that whites are the violent ones who attacked out of racism?

It seems to me that all the people who assume that the attackers were white are the racists.

The Muslims have been attacking the Indians for about a thousand years now. How sure can anyone be that this is not an old conflict that has now Moved down under, brought in by immigration?

One article linked to on the first page of this thread names a perp.

www.thaindian.com...

Judge Pamela Jenkins said Friday the group had deliberately targeted victims of Indian ethnicity in the “unprovoked rampage”. She sentenced one of the attackers, Zakarie Hussein, 21, to four-and-a-half years’ jail with a minimum non-parole period of two years.

Zakarie Hussein doesn't exactly sound British, sounds Middle Eastern.

Setting fire to someone doesn't exactly sound like a move typical for white street gangs, sounds more like something you hear from India.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Australia today, some other country tomorrow.

Incidents like these are bound to happen.

Does that mean Australia or other countries are full of haters?

Nope. Just shows that all countries have thugs and low lifes that have no compassion for the people around them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by John3686

Here's something which may throw light upon matters:

Who Is Attacking Indian Students ?

' Please be assured that the problem lies not with ordinary Australians but disaffected immigrant/refugee youth of Sudanese and Middle-Eastern origin. As the (Indian) students have themselves described, their attackers are in the main “black men (Africans)” or “Middle-Eastern”.'

'Sydney: Indian students alleged on Thursday that Lebanese youths were behind the racially-motivated attacks on them here as they took to the streets for the third consecutive night protesting against racial attacks.'

' Indian protesters continue to say that they were being attacked by Lebanese youths.'

' The Government(s), politicans and police are afraid to control these Muslims for fear of being labelled “racist”. This is the usual cry (yelp?) from the Muslims when they are criticized in any manner, rightfully or wrongfully. '

islamicterrorism.wordpress.com...

If the Mongolian government decided to shatter national sense of identity, create racial friction, destroy the stability of society via introduced stressors, they might impose unsustainable numbers of migrants from the United Kingdom, for example, in which case, Mongolians would see Scotsmen, Irish, Welsh and English in their streets, shops, etc.

When two Scotsmen are violently attacked, the UK media and foreign secretary go into disproportionate overdrive and describe Mongolians as (1)'racists' who're responsible for the attacks and (2) guilty of not doing enough to protect migrants and students from the UK

Mongolians feel this is not a true reflection of themselves. They say, ' I've never even thought of attacking any of these UK mingrants and in fact I wouldn't know the difference between a Scotsman and a Welshman. All people from the UK look and sound the same to me'.

The Mongolian police are also perplexed, because to them also, all these UK migrants .. be they Welsh, Scots, Irish, English ... all look and sound pretty much the same

But, the Mongolian police feel there's an agenda afoot. Why are only Scotsmen being attacked and featuring large in forums and the media ?

If 'racism' were responsible, wouldn't 'racist Mongolians' be attacking all the UK migrants ? But they're not. Only the Scots are being attacked. Why is that, the Mongolian police ask themselves

They decide there's something very suspicious about the situation. Are the Scots themselves responsible for the attacks ? Why ? Obviously it must have a political element. Has Mongolia angered the Scots recently ?

OR ... is a third party responsible ? And if so, does the third-party have something to gain from pushing an agenda --- 'racial tensions', for example ? Or has the Scottish government angered the government of the mysterious third party, undercover attack gang ? Could it be connected with the 'religious attacks' occurring at the same time, world-wide ?

The Mongolian police know they will have to be very cautious. They may suspect that Irish gangs are actually attacking the Scots. But if they express these suspicions, the Irish will doubtless claim to be 'offended'

The Mongolian government decides it will be better all round if Mongolians themselves are blamed for the attacks on the Scots, and thus the media pushes the story of 'Mongolian racists'

Now to fact:

Australia hosts as many Sri Lankans as remain in Sri Lanka. In other words, LOTS of Sri Lankans live in Australia

Australia has also accepted hundreds of thousands of Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and other groups from the Sub Continent.

To the average Aussie, it's virtually impossible to differentiate, at face value, between Hindus, Jains, Muslims, Buddhists and/or between people from the sub-continent

Yet there are no dramatic headlines about attacks on Sri Lankans or Pakistanis, etc.

If Australians were guilty of 'racism' and of attacking people from the Sub Continent --- wouldn't they be attacking Sri Lankans, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis in equal measure ? After all, Australians generally cannot tell the difference between them

SOMEONE knows the difference though, obviously. And SOMEONE is attacking ONLY Indians

The Australian Police are not allowed to state this. There's a great deal the police are not allowed to reveal

Seems easier all around, and doubtless satisfies a number of agenda, for Australians to be blamed for the attacks

Meanwhile, those actually responsible are free to continue their attacks

If you look again at the quoted material above, you will see that the Indian students in Australia have said from the outset that they are being attacked by Muslim Lebanese

Why has the Indian government/foreign minister failed to mention this within his attention-seeking outbursts ? Why has the media failed to mention it ?

Thinking caps on please

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well, the Utube link didn't work in the sight which you linked to, so I did a search and this is what I came up with.

Pretty brutal.

www.youtube.com...

Thjey say the victim is white, but he looks Asian. Also on the same search is a white train driver beating up some guy, no explanation, what appears to be an asian gang street brawl, and a report on Asian gangs verses Sudanese gangs, all in Melbourne.

Why is everyone assuming white are the perps?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

Racists do what they do for the simplest reason: because they believe they can, and get away with it. racists are very arrogant people.

I tend to agree with your sentiment. Arrogance often is however one way of trying to cover up a poor self image. Some people unhappy with their lot in life will want to blame someone else rather than take personal responsibility; and take out their frustrations on others perceived to be weaker rather than on the party truly responsible.

There are many reasons for racism, but happiness with one's own life is not usually one of them.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
having to much cultural diversity can dilute your water

as you can see here, over time adding more cultural understanding will have a effect from red to diluted state, there needs to be limit how many people can be allowed to enter your country to protect your own cultural background

you can see this clear with france and its large arab cultural diversity, same with sweden, netherlands denmark etc over time these things can not be avoided, the only way to protect your own people is to limit access to your country

[edit on 9-1-2010 by aspx]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

you base your views on a biggoted assumption that NZers and aussies are uncivilised and are racist

No, I base my views on the fact that out of all the people i have met in australia and new zealand (and anywhere else), a certain percentage of them are Narrow Minded and Racist, and it just so happens that the majority who are not, are the ones who are travelled.

and guess what..... it's exactly the same in Scotland too. Many of the people I know who have never been outside the four walls have tunnel vision and tend to be more racist and unaccepting of foreigners.

This is what I have seen and experienced with my own eyes. I'm not judging masses of people, or whole populations. this opinion is based on the several hundred people I have known or worked alongside in these countries.

Are people who are more travelled less likely to be narrow minded and racist?...... in my opinion...YES, and i'll say YES every time. (this does not mean that ALL those who have not travelled are)

I'm sorry if a few of you guys think that just because this is what I have experienced first hand, that this is me being racist. It is me having an opinion based on what I have seen, heard and been around, that's all.

Can't someone come on ATS and post their own life experience without being slapped in the face for it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join