It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Born and raised in Australia. Well travelled and have lived overseas. Back in Perth for now. I feel that my city is becoming more dangerous and violent. More racist? Probably not but because violence and drug use is on the rise, the verbal racism becomes more physical.

My dark skinned friend from an Indian background here is subject to racist taunts
most nights he goes to a club or pub. It's generally from white Australian males in their early twenties or late forties - early fifties. I've experienced it with him twice in the same night in a pub and then a cafe. I am really saddened when I see it and hear about it.

Recently we had a big police blitz all over the country for a weekend. Massive show of police numbers in troublesome night spots. Thousands of extra cops patrolling. This was to try and combat the rise in violent crime involving alcohol. The police are sick of it and so are some of us. Personally I blame the political correct civil libertarian morons who don't want us to discipline our children. No smacks, no cane at school, no rights for teachers trying to defend themselves, no respect. I'd love to see the cane in school and a form of national service brought back to Australia. Start educating kids from a younger age on multiculturalism and teach
them some respect because today, they all think there are no consequences.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by believer81]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by believer81

I'd love to see the cane in school and a form of national service brought back to Australia. Start educating kids from a younger age on multiculturalism and teach

I agree, at a young age kids could be parented way better and kids can be taught more about different cultures living together.

as they get older they should be encouraged to travel more too.

They rarely encourage people to travel when they have left school but IMHO it's one of the best things one can do.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Why does everyone assume that whites are the violent ones who attacked out of racism?

It seems to me that all the people who assume that the attackers were white are the racists.

The Muslims have been attacking the Indians for about a thousand years now. How sure can anyone be that this is not an old conflict that has now Moved down under, brought in by immigration?

One article linked to on the first page of this thread names a perp.

www.thaindian.com...

Judge Pamela Jenkins said Friday the group had deliberately targeted victims of Indian ethnicity in the “unprovoked rampage”. She sentenced one of the attackers, Zakarie Hussein, 21, to four-and-a-half years’ jail with a minimum non-parole period of two years.

Zakarie Hussein doesn't exactly sound British, sounds Middle Eastern.

Setting fire to someone doesn't exactly sound like a move typical for white street gangs, sounds more like something you hear from India.

You are spot on.
In Australia we are having more and more trouble with Muslim /Middle Eastern gangs.

People emigrate here and bring all their hatreds and prejudices with them. So we are having all kinds of racial tensions over issues that have nothing to do with Australia.

blogs.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gehirn
Hello,

I've been reading through ATS for a little while now but this post made me want to state my observations as an Australian.

I grew up in Liverpool which is a fairly rough place with plenty of hateful people of ALL cultures just looking for a reason to pick a fight.

I can tell you now

it is almost ALWAYS racially motivated.

As a country we love to tell the world that we are friendly and carefree but I can tell you there is a deep natural culture of racism in our society. If your back is turned you can bet that people of all ages are making quick judgments and comments about you based on your culture and social class.

The current notion that being a bad person is the new "in" thing holds true in Australia. We are very apathetic.

Things aren't that bad down here in New Zealand. We have a little White/Maori tension, but I think that because a war was fought between Brits and Maoris, and nobody won, it makes for a more even-handed situation here. What I observe here is that you have whites who are not racist, and you have whites who are generally fearful of racial confrontation.

Over there in Aussie you have a long history of tough criminal characters being sent there and you have an indigenous people who are quite docile compared to the fierce warring Maori.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would like to add that I believe Australia has the highest rate of common assault in the world.

Darwin has the highest number of broken jaws and noses per capita in the world by a healthy margin.

Sadly, low level violence is common here. Australians like to punch on. The typical white Aussie favours fists (as do Aboriginals and Islanders). Knives and other weapons are usually more likely to be used by Asians and Middle Eastern types.

Since you are statistically more likely to get assaulted here than anywhere else in the world it would make sense that some of these people will be Indian students.

I would like to see how the levels of violence against Indians compares to other ethnic groups in Australia.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We're not in inhumane as a species rather we're human, all too human to human. We're all so worried about subhuman behavior that we forget about the prospect of superhuman behavior.

Furthermore, I have a problem with the following term of alleged ethnicity:

Colored

Let's not use it. It's a derogatory term to describe 'non-whites' and IMO it's complete and utter bull-#.

I'm a Caucasian myself but 'colored' is a ridiculously racist and supremest term even when not intended to be.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on ATS for many years and decided now is probably a good time to start posting. I have watched the rise of violence and and bad feeling towards Indians, and I would like to add that I am not a racist, and have quite a few friends that are Indians and I find them to be respectful and hardworking.

I would like to try and give you my perspective on the situation here in Australia. By the turn of the 21st century Australia was starting to experience zero population growth. This is not exactly a good situation when the corporate takeover of society has started to shift into high gear.
While a sustainable population, with a reasonably high standard of living for most people is good for the individual, it is hardly condusive to turning a profit for the shareholders every year.

Now I don't know how to provide a direct link between the powers that be and increasing immigration, but around this time, numbers of immigrant and refugees were increased dramatically. Tens of thousands from Somalia and other African nations were brought here.

Fifteen years ago, to see an African would have been a rare occurence, now there are suburbs where they are everywhere, and you would think you had driven into an African country. So far the African population has been peaceful, and I know of only a few cases where they have been involved in any form of criminal activity.

At the same time Indian immigration whether it be permanent or for students also increased dramatically. I would like to say first though that there has already been quite a large number of Indians in Australia. They are generally accepted and make quite an effort to integrate. Something that some other nationalities have not done very well.

There have been a few factors that have really annoyed many Australians about the Indian population, and if you listen to the general consensus, from the man in the street, you will hear the same sentiment repeated time and time again.

Phone companies which have long been a bugbear for Australians started outsourcing their call centres to India. I am sure that nearly everyone in the world has had problems with being on hold for what seems like hours, or being constantly shifted from one department to the next only to be eventually hung up on, after waiting for at least half an hour. Well, all of a sudden when you rang the phone company knowing this was going to happen, it was an Indian on the other end of the line doing it to you.
And it wasn't just the phone companies, EVERY telemarketing company outsourced to India. And the frequency of unwanted intrusions by telemarketers which was already annoying, increased.

In the last twelve months, door to door salesmen, who thank God had pretty much disappeared from our streets, came back. and guess what, they are Indian! And they are on your door step every week, and they do not take no for an answer.

And finally nearly all of our taxi drivers are Indians. From personal experience and what I hear from others a lot of these guys can hardly drive or speak english. My girlfriend and I caught a cab at Christmas time to the airport which is one suburb away and the guy had to ask us for directions. He spoke hardly any english, could not operate the cab equipment or the GPS and did not even understand left or right. This is hardly an isolated incident and anyone who lives in Australia would know that this is the truth.

I believe, like most Australians, that everyone deserves a fair go. But the standards for entry into our country has been set ridiculously low, in order to increase the amount of immigrants eligible to arrive. And when we see that our customs ships have been boarded by so called refugees who will not leave until they are allowed entry into Australia, public opinion swings radically against them. I know I will probably be flamed and called a racist but this is what is happening in Australia.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

Aboriginal people are docile hey?

Spend a few days in Darwin or Rocky (or anywhere with a high proportion of indigenous folk for that matter) and you'll see how docile they are!

I agree that they're not warriors like the Maori though.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by OZtracized]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixtoone
Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on ATS for many years and decided now is probably a good time to start posting. I have watched the rise of violence and and bad feeling towards Indians, and I would like to add that I am not a racist, and have quite a few friends that are Indians and I find them to be respectful and hardworking.

Well, that's mighty white of you

I would like to try and give you my perspective on the situation here in Australia. By the turn of the 21st century Australia was starting to experience zero population growth. This is not exactly a good situation when the corporate takeover of society has started to shift into high gear.
While a sustainable population, with a reasonably high standard of living for most people is good for the individual, it is hardly condusive to turning a profit for the shareholders every year.

Now I don't know how to provide a direct link between the powers that be and increasing immigration, but around this time, numbers of immigrant and refugees were increased dramatically. Tens of thousands from Somalia and other African nations were brought here.

Fifteen years ago, to see an African would have been a rare occurence, now there are suburbs where they are everywhere, and you would think you had driven into an African country. So far the African population has been peaceful, and I know of only a few cases where they have been involved in any form of criminal activity.

At the same time Indian immigration whether it be permanent or for students also increased dramatically. I would like to say first though that there has already been quite a large number of Indians in Australia. They are generally accepted and make quite an effort to integrate. Something that some other nationalities have not done very well.

There have been a few factors that have really annoyed many Australians about the Indian population, and if you listen to the general consensus, from the man in the street, you will hear the same sentiment repeated time and time again.

Phone companies which have long been a bugbear for Australians started outsourcing their call centres to India. I am sure that nearly everyone in the world has had problems with being on hold for what seems like hours, or being constantly shifted from one department to the next only to be eventually hung up on, after waiting for at least half an hour. Well, all of a sudden when you rang the phone company knowing this was going to happen, it was an Indian on the other end of the line doing it to you. And it wasn't just the phone companies, EVERY telemarketing company outsourced to India. And the frequency of unwanted intrusions by telemarketers which was already annoying, increased.

Boo-Hoo. I have a dell computer. Guess which country I speak to when I call tech support?

Phone companies which have long been a bugbear for Australians started outsourcing their call centres to India. I am sure that nearly everyone in the world has had problems with being on hold for what seems like hours, or being constantly shifted from one department to the next only to be eventually hung up on, after waiting for at least half an hour. Well, all of a sudden when you rang the phone company knowing this was going to happen, it was an Indian on the other end of the line doing it to you. And it wasn't just the phone companies, EVERY telemarketing company outsourced to India. And the frequency of unwanted intrusions by telemarketers which was already annoying, increased.

SWEET JESUS!!! SALESMEN!!! THE HORROR!!!

And finally nearly all of our taxi drivers are Indians. From personal experience and what I hear from others a lot of these guys can hardly drive or speak english. My girlfriend and I caught a cab at Christmas time to the airport which is one suburb away and the guy had to ask us for directions. He spoke hardly any english, could not operate the cab equipment or the GPS and did not even understand left or right. This is hardly an isolated incident and anyone who lives in Australia would know that this is the truth.

You wanna see no english? try getting a cab in manhattan

I believe, like most Australians, that everyone deserves a fair go. But the standards for entry into our country has been set ridiculously low, in order to increase the amount of immigrants eligible to arrive. And when we see that our customs ships have been boarded by so called refugees who will not leave until they are allowed entry into Australia, public opinion swings radically against them. I know I will probably be flamed and called a racist but this is what is happening in Australia.

Well, I'm a black american, and I don't think you're a racist based on what I'm reading, but I do think you're whining. FFS, they set a man on fire, and the best you got to explain that, and all the other incidents of violence is TELEMARKETING AND TAXI DRIVERS WHO DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH??? Wow. Well, hell, that's enough for me..fire up the bombers. I say we dust off and nuke India from orbit. only way to be sure

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm an Aussie and I've travelled to numerous other countries over the last 10 years. I have to say that Australia is not racist than other countries. That's not say that there are racist people here, there are, and every country in the world has racists.

However, in this case, I think it simply a case of the media picking up on "violence against Indians" and reporting on every single incident they can dig up.

I heard a few weeks ago that in the major Australian cities that there are hundreds of cases of serious assault each night. With 2% of the Aussie population coming from the sub-continent (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc), it is simply a case of statistics that a number if Indians will be assaulted.

Also, if we go back about 12 months ago, there were numerous attacks being reported against Sri Lankans in Melbourne and Sydney. This could have been interpreted as racist attacks also, but the reality was that it was attacks by Sri Lankans on fellow Sri Lankans associated with the "Tamil Tigers".

Yes, it is possible that some of the attacks against Indians may be racially motivated, but don't go jumping to conclusions based on the very limited info be reported by the media.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Oh how cool, blackbag work to stimulate the growth of gangs. Somehow I think the boys with the biggest gang are cocked locked and ready to take em all down. /eats popcorn

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
" prompted an angry reaction in India "

You got to be kidding me. One of the most patriarchal, bigoted countries in the world. Where if you are born into a lower class you are almost treated sub-human.

Where setting people on fire, throwing acid in peoples faces, stabbing people to death , killing woman who say "no" to sex or some other misguided "honor" killing could almost be considered their national pastime.

Oh yea, and they still burn "witches"

India should clean up its own backyard before it dare raises its voice against sporadic racism in other countries.

[edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hi all, having lived in Melbourne most of my life, I'm not sure whether there is an increase of violence or more that the media love to myopically report on a hot story.

These acts of extreme violence make me sick, and the perpetrators should be jailed indefinitely ( a tax I am willing to pay).

That being said, like most, I still don't believe this violence is on the increase. I think its no different now than in the early 50's / 60's when immigrant arrivals were at an all time high.
I can say this because my folks came here from Italy back in the day and unfortunately like any "new arrival" they were set upon by the locals. Mind you, the locals back then were mainly colonist English & Irish who scarcely embraced human diversity.

My father was attacked a many times by gangs of cowardly red nosed hooligans purely because he didn't "speaka da english" that well. So this bought around a new wave of violence because now the immigrants had to travel in packs also. This story is similar the the American-Italian story is it not? With this new stereotypes emerged etc.

The Australia today is a much different place than back then because 50+ years of immigration now has made Australia home to countless countries nationals, so from your indigenous Koories to your Serbian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Greek, Lebanese, Iraqi, South African, Nigerian, Swede, Pakistani, Indian, New Zealander Australians,
The term Aussie has many different flavours, beliefs and values.

What is an Aussie? Well that is a good question, because having Australian Citizenship does not mean you need to embrace the Australian "way of life", which I might add only is perpetuated by tourism efforts - "Throw another shrimp on the barbie / she'll be right mate / bush spirited / good tukka / happy little vegimites" et al

So where does this leave my view on Australia? I have been fortunate enough to travel (live) overseas (except the USA - you're next
) and I really don't think it is any different than most cities I have been to.

Violence is unacceptable and not supported by the majority of Aussies. The unfortunate reality that in this instance it has happening to Indian students is no lesser crime than when it was happening to my family, but the constant effort by media outlets to "beat the crap" (no pun intended) out of this and incite racist stories and tarnish the name of my great city & country is as much of crime IMHO.

oss.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

Thanks for seeing that I am not a racist, I was not advocating for one second that the Indian guy deserved to be firebombed, because of the taxi drivers and telemarketers. I feel very bad for the poor guy and his family.

I was simply trying to give some background to the anti Indian sentiment that exists in Australia. As for nuking them from orbit, I knew you Americans could be tricked into finally admitting to your space based weapons platforms!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I have to agree with you there, I'm a kiwi and thats was one of the reason I left NZ years ago, I couldn't stand the small minded attitude. I traveled the world for years and ended up in ... AUS !!! howz that for ironic? with a scottish lass too!
But to get to the point for everyone, this sort of violence I've seen everywhere I went, I've lived in the UK the Middle East, America and Canada, even spent alot of time in India (my fav) and Nepal and one of the few constants I found was an marked intolerance to 'new arrivals', some country's we're better than others of course (India and Nepal for one)
some we're worse, I think it all comes down to seeing each other as sepperate instead of as really as being one and the same.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
There must be at least a dozen stabbing's a night in Melbourne alone and 50 other assorted assaults on people of different hue's, But that seems to go under the radar! I think it's just a case the Indians seem to complain to the media the most!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
There must be at least a dozen stabbing's a night in Melbourne alone and 50 other assorted assaults on people of different hue's, But that seems to go under the radar! I think it's just a case the Indians seem to complain to the media the most!

Every country has domestic crime and violence so....?
In other words when HATE/RACE crimes happen we should also let them go under the radar?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE

Every country has domestic crime and violence so....?
In other words when HATE/RACE crimes happen we should also let them go under the radar?

If it is a true hate/race crime, report it as that, but do not report a random act as race related, no evidence that the victim was targeted because of race, he was targeted because he was there at the time.
If it had of been a middle aged white guy the media would have said nothing about the crime unless he died.
Or unless it was a minority group that did it to the white guy.

again, watch the magician not the assistant.
Ask yourself what is happening in the world currently which needs over looking by this hyped up rubbish.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
no evidence that the victim was targeted because of race, he was targeted because he was there at the time.

No offense but that sounds like denial to me.
Why is it so hard to believe these types of crimes are possible?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well don't care what anyone says Most people around the world are racist in oneway or another.

As for these indians attacks this all start back when Australia play india in the cricket
a few years back.It's kick off from there if most of u people remember
it's when the indians fans where calling Andrew Symonds a monkey.
If u think i am kidding wait and see more rasist attack when Australia play india agian
Both Aust and indians fans take it persoal when the other teams are giving the other team fired up
Tho it's only smalls groups of people that gose around fighting and attacking others. But has we all know it's only take a small group of people start it and then the copy cats start poping up verywhere because they want to be on the news as well.
It's a very sad world we have all made up for ourself.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join