It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian man attacked and set alight in Melbourne

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
And now some Melbourne idiots are going at the Indians.
People say "they are taking our jobs!" Well get off their lazy arses and work and be responsible for continuing to build this great country, and not turn it into a hate filled battle ground, that they seem to think they own as a minority, when in fact, they do not.

Star as usual Zazz.

Your honesty is very much appreciated.
Apparently this topic was struck a nerve with many members. I think a major part of the solution would be acknowledgment first then maybe progress could be made.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Every country has its racists and thugs, Australia is no different. Alot of people in this world know Australia and its people are chilled out. People are attacked every day of different color, religions, sexuality in this world.

Tsom87

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I agree with what you say. I think the UK is very similar too. A few years ago when EU membership allowed Polish migrants to swamp the UK, there was a huge hatred feeling towards them.

they were in big cities and small towns and people felt they were taking their jobs.

Same here in New Zealand now with lots of Filipinos. There were redundancies a few months ago at our factory and there were several old New Zealanders saying,

"well they should get rid of the filipinos first. They took our jobs...they are not New Zealanders"

this makes me sick.

i actually turned around to them and said, " well your grandparents made exactly the same move these Filipinos have made. Bettering themselves and their families, a new life in a great country, now get over it"

and they did not like that one bit.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
October 09,2008, The Times of India, Goa edition.

Panaji: An Australian tourist had to pay with his life in Goa on Wednesday after he picked up an argument with a restaurant waiter over how a beer should be served. John Kelly, 65, had gone to Calangute’s Club City Restaurant around 8 am and ordered a beer. However, he was not happy with the waiter’s service and scolded him.

“This resulted in an argument between the two. A group of waiters then beat up the Australian and tore up his clothes,” said a police official. Pushed around, the tourist fell to the floor, he said. Kelly was immediately rushed to Goa Medical College and Hospital, where he breathed his last at 5 pm. He had arrived in Goa on September 29.

“From what we have gathered, the foreigner suffered internal injuries to which he succumbed. We have detained two persons—a waiter and a security guard of the restaurant,” said superintendent of police (North) Bosco George.
Calangute police inspector Tushar Vernekar said, “We have registered a case of murder and are investigating the matter.”

Police said Kelly was rushed to hospital in a critical condition and passed away before they could register his statement. Based on information provided by a friend who was with Kelly in hospital, the police rounded up few of the waiters for interrogation and came to know what had happened.
The post-mortem will be conducted on Thursday.

This is not the first time that a foreign tourist to the state has been attacked. Early this year, British teenager Scarlett Keeling was allegedly raped and murdered by two locals. In another incident recently, a Russian woman was beaten up by locals, forcing the Russian consulate to write to the state chief minister alleging “national or racial intolerance”.
A couple of years back, another tourist to Goa from the UK, Stephen Bennett, was found murdered.

So,it seems India also has problems with racial violence,does that make all of India racist? NO.Just like it doesn't make all of Australia racist.

Get a grip and stop the arm chair hate that is filling this thread.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

Isolated incidents vs. consistent racist incidtents
come back when you understand the difference

your news article is worthless

there is a trend in Australia to attack indians
do you know what A TREND is???

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by munkey66
now that may be all the evidence the US needs in order to invade countries, but in Australia we like a little more information before we jump to conclusions.

As usual totally irrelevant to the topic.

And once again I see you approve of the selective quoting as well.
Why did you fail to quote the entire post?
Why did you selectively miss the part where the attackers where described as 4 males, no hair color, no mention of race color or even religious persuasion, but never let that get in the way of a good ol fashioned witch hunt

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

The topic was about possible HATE/RACE crimes in Australia not the gulf war.

Sorry I'm just not impressed with denial and deflection of the topic.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ok im an Australian who lives in melbourne. I work with indian people at work, go to university with indians and buy my groceries from indians. I don't see any racial tension to the indian population at all, not from anyone i know. Most people in australia are fine with other cultures. We have had Greek, Italian, Chinese, Turkish, Afghani, Sudanese and Every other nation basiacally migrate here. We arent racist as a whole.. when i say racist i mean no open hostility or prejudice to other cultures. I believe that most of these cultures have integrated well into society. However i believe people in australia are a little turned off on indians because they think that they have come and taken our kids prospects at getting into uni as most indian students are rich kids from india who pay there way into the uni system. This belief right or wrong was started by the media... who turned those easily convinced against indians... only a small portion i may add.

Im so sick of the media mentioning an indian man or student was attacked! Oh the poor helpless indian man attacked by the vicious white aussie youth! The truth is if you travel at 2.00 at night on a train in melbourne carrying valuables in your bag you probably will get stabbed or bashed or have stuff stolen!

These attackers are generally immagrents themselves.

If i was to be attacked would they say that an 18 year old Greek/English/Dutch Student was attacked in a racially motivated attack?

Indians have a big target on there backs because they could be a little nieve. Like i said about the train... coming from a life of relative luxury in india perhaps they are used to being the top of the heap and havent wisened that they are at the same level of the rest of society.. (not meaning to be racist but there is a large divide between upper and lower class in india)

Also why is it that we never here why these students were attacked?

Is it not possible that they were at a drug meet?

Not drunk at the time and got carried away?

Got themselves caught up in trouble with other gangs?

This side never gets reported because the media is trying to raise tensions that were never originally there.

Im not racist.. i dont care if your from another country neither do most aussies because most aussies are from other countries themselves!

This is sad that this behaviour goes on and its scary and random

but thats all it is

stop with the racism badge! Most other countries arent as tolerant of other races as Australians

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I do know what a trend is,and one seems to be forming in your posts,You sir/madam seem to have a myopic view on the world with nationlist overtones.

Ive seen your posts around ATS and most of them are nothing short of confrontational and baiting.This does nothing to Help the situation.You dismiss off hand,other peoples views that actually live in Australia.And when the mirror is held up you refuse to look at the image that is painfully present to you.

Fact NON-Indian tourists are targeted by Indians in India are they are seen as easy targets.

Fact Indians in Australia are being attacked because they are seen as easy targets.

Now Modern Academia,do YOU see a trend forming here?
If you need help to find it,just U2U me and ill be glad to help out.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

and once again I will repeat
Where is the race hate crime?
what eveidence that it was race or hate crime?

people are pointing out the similarities between countries as being racist, I merely pointed out that Australians require more information than a vague description to point a finger at the perpetrators.
We don't jump to conclusions and label any group until we have a few more facts.

which part of 4 males points the finger at any race?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

You can't be the ignorant?????

What part of
"possible" did you miss?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wecomeinpeace

You couldn't said it better my friend..
I don't know why this is on ATS anyways..?
To much sad shiT here atm... Get up, stand up!

Good night everyone!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
news.oneindia.in...
"Former Australian Medical Association president Mukesh Haikerwal, who himself was brutally smashed in 2008, said that the attacks were not related to issues of racism, but were actually 'street violence."

www.smh.com.au...
"Street thugs in Harris Park, in Sydney's west, were violently attacking elderly white women for a number of years before shifting their focus to Indians, says a NSW politician who raised the problem of violence in the suburb in State Parliament two years ago."

Please review the above links for a more broad view on the situation.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You can't be the ignorant?????

What part of
"possible" did you miss?

Probably this bit from your first post
honestly don't know what to say...

Originally posted by SLAYER69I've linked to another thread regarding recent violence between Aussies and Indians. These types of crimes [Hate/Race] seem to be on the rise down under. Sad really.

But thats OK, hand brakes make it much easier to backpedal

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

OK

What part of "Seem" did you miss?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Havent read through the thread yet but wanted to give my 2 cents straight away.

I live one suburb across from a place called Harris Park in Sydney, NSW. Harris Park has a high native Indian population.

Recently Indians in this area have been attacked, mugged, racial abused, etc for seemingly no reason.

The average person in these parts has NO problem with people of Indian background. I dont even know where these racist anti-Indian folk are. It seems to be a conflict limited to small specific groups.

Disgraceful nonetheless....

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
The average person in these parts has NO problem with people of Indian background. I dont even know where these racist anti-Indian folk are. It seems to be a conflict limited to small specific groups.

Disgraceful nonetheless....

I don't know...

It seems to me that many here at ATS are in complete and total denial of the possibility of HATE/RACE crimes down under that are being carried out by a very small ignorant lot. I agree with many who have stated that these ignorant few ruin Australia's reputation.

Enough said.

Thanks for your perspective.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

If you watch the 4 part video, they give quite alot of examples of indians getting attacked.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't think it so much denial about the hate/race conundrum at the moment,but the singling out of one specific group as the perps,when clearly EVERYONE is having a go at each other.

Hatred,ignorance and crime knows no racial or geographical boundaries.

Show me which county doesn't have this problem.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
Show me which county doesn't have this problem.

Show me which country has this problem with this frequency with a specific race singled out as targets for attacks.

Please show, I am asking for incidents with this FREQUENCY not isolated incidents.

Please enlighten me

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join