It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty queen hunts seals after bad press

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Archangel
Well I suppose it takes a person of a certain intellect to indulge in such practice and by the looks of things you fit the bill. Please don't speak about me as if you know me. I have travelled the four corners of this planet and have seen a number traditions that I didnt like but could see the method in their madness.

You presume much. Things may look a certain way from your perch...but it's all about the lens you use.

I'd suggest you visit Newfoundland and have this discussion. Until then, you really don't have a lot to say...but please...report back when you have.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Some of the people here drive me straight up the farking wall!

Who gives YOU the moral authority to tell the Canucks that they cannot club seals?!
While I personally couldn't do it, I will not even PRETEND to be such a hypocrite as to say it is unacceptable! This is how these weirdos live! And if you look at if from a historical perspective, I would say that this is how these people HAD to live for a long time. You, or nobody else, has the right to say that these people cannot hunt the resources of their homeland!

Damnit! What gives with some people?!

Take your liberal agenda and shove it!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Archangel

But you never took the time to look into what is all used from a slain seal ?

It does not even need to be a culture thing, A dead seal is useful to humans, Canada has more then enough seals to fill its quotas .

Just like a dead Cow, fish, chicken, etc.

You lied, making it sound like all but the fur is wasted.
You do not mention how Canada is in the north and seal fur is still one of the best ways to stay warm.

You don't mention fake fur and synthetic leather come from refined crude oil.
(hows that working out for our green earth)

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nophun

First off I am very much a atheist and I believe in Satan as much as I believe in "God". I am too old for fairy tales, so stop calling me a Satan worshiper please.

You sure do talk about worshipping Satan a lot for someone who supposedly doesn't believe.

All your reports are from peoples who's goal is to end the "great seal slaughter" and have NO support about other groups just like themselves.

What? That doesn't even make sense.

Go read any report done by anyone that has been legitimately peer reviewed by a neutral source. Please go get educated before you spew your lies about my Country and our people.

What do you think law papers are? And "get educated?" You are the one who is uneducated here. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I LOVE how all you hippies love the whitecoat seals pictures that are sooooo cute to make evil villians out out hard working fisherman/hunters but FYI Canada banned the hunting of them in 1987!

They are evil & I'm glad that hunting whitecoats has been banned. Unfortunately, it's not only legal to brutally kill seals that are 12 days old (beaters), but it's subsidized by the govt.

This includes skinning them alive 100,000s at a time

You would think skinning animals alive is funny. That just goes to show what kind of "person" you are.

You talk a lot about the seal but completely ignore then rural communities then use the hunt as a means to LIVE.

They make maybe $2,000 a year off of beating baby seals to death. Why don't you talk about the devastation to the economy that the boycott of the billion+ dollar seafood industry has caused?

DFO says Canada's seal population is "healthy and abundant" at about 5.6 million animals and triple what it was in the 1970s.

This is coming from the people who "managed" the cod fishery into collapse. Forgive me if I give them 0 credibility.

I could post 1000s of FACTs and you will say the Canadian government is cruel for allowing it.

Oh, go ahead & post your "1,000s of FACTS." I know you are woefully uneducated on this topic.

but please remember the Department of Fisheries and Oceans are VERY protective of CANADA's waters and wild life.

Cod fishery collapsed in early 1990's b/c of their incompetence, not b/c the "seals ate all the cod" as they like to claim.

You are trusting the word of hippies over people who know and love there land/country ... really who the .. do you think you are ?

Yeah, I trust the word of "hippies" w/ law degrees who have published law papers over some bozo on the internet. Can you blame me?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

But you know ... a baby white seal (that are not part of the hunt anymore) is a hell of a lot cuter then your average cow.

White-coats may not be butchered alive anymore, but 12 day old beaters are. I guess that's ok.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
You have just proven that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Get back once you've educated yourself on the subject. 'Til then, you have nothing to say.

I'm extremely well educated on this subject. It is you who has nothing to offer b/c you are woefully ignorant. Why don't you come back when you get a clue?

The Newfoundlanders crashed the cod-fishery themselves, thanks to mismanagement from DFO.

...The DFO’s style of natural resources management may have contributed to the collapse of the cod fishery off the East coast of Canada in the late 1980s and early 1990s.[173] ...

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS
CYNTHIA HODGES, J.D., LL.M, M.A.
animallaw.info...

...As the manager of fisheries, the DFO created and enforced regulations that eventually led to the collapse of the North Atlantic cod fishery...

The Politics and Propaganda of the Seal Hunt
harpseals.org...

...The Canadian fisheries policies, discussed in Chapter 4, concentrated on building up local catching and processing capacity, instead of protecting the badly depleted fish stocks. Such policies proved disastrously wrong-headed. Inshore fishermen complained of falling catches in the 1980s, and blamed offshore (by now, largely Canadian) trawlers. Several independent scientific reviews also questioned the apparent optimism of DFO stock estimates, but that optimism continued to guide policy in the form of high allowable catches (Chapter 5). Warnings became more strident in the early 1990s, but the DFO and political leaders still declined to take drastic steps--costly and unpopular--to save a cod fishery heading into a storm (Chapter 6). Consequently, the storm became a disaster, as recognized officially by the codfish moratorium in 1992 (Chapter 7)...

LAMENT FOR AN OCEAN
The Collapse of the Atlantic Cod Fishery: A True Crime Story
Michael Harris
naturalscience.com...

The Northern Cod fishery collapsed in 1992 despite warnings for over a decade previous that over-fishing was dangerously diminishing Cod populations.

The Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) displayed blatant conflict of interests in ignoring science to cater to the industry. The result was a total "surprise" collapse of the entire fishery.

Sea Shepherd Calls for a Twenty Year Closure of the Grand Banks
www.seashepherd.org...

[edit on 9-1-2010 by someotherguy]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

See you do not know what you are talking about.

Ever heard the expression about the pot calling the kettle black?

ALL the fat is used.
ALL the Fur is used.
Most the meat is used (think there is much real meat in the body ? I know how you can figure it out... I will lend you my new club)

You know nothing about the hunt. Most seals are left to rot on the ice. A minimal amount of meat ends up in pet food in Asia.

We are talking about Native Americans (never waste anything) and Newfies (these nuts even eat cod tongues

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Who gives YOU the moral authority to tell the Canucks that they cannot club seals?!
While I personally couldn't do it, I will not even PRETEND to be such a hypocrite as to say it is unacceptable! This is how these weirdos live! And if you look at if from a historical perspective, I would say that this is how these people HAD to live for a long time. You, or nobody else, has the right to say that these people cannot hunt the resources of their homeland!

Great to know that some people will not stand up to defend the most innocent of God's creatures from "human" (if you can call them that) greed & brutality.

Those people do not "own" the seals. They belong to everyone. They do NOT have a right to butcher them alive. They do NOT have the right to drive them into extinction.

It is UNACCEPTABLE to torture animals to death. What is wrong w/ people who can't see that & help those babies? People suck!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

You lied, making it sound like all but the fur is wasted.

You are quick to call other people "liars." Maybe you are ignorant of the fact that you are spreading lies?

The fur isn't wasted, but pretty much all of the rest of the seal is. Oh, yeah, the fat, which is full of toxins, goes into oil capsules, so that they can poison people. Great.

You don't mention fake fur and synthetic leather come from refined crude oil.
(hows that working out for our green earth)

That's a really illogical argument to make.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I am done arguing, it is obvious you are closed minded about this.
Can you please address the question me and others have asked in this thread that you keep ignoring.

You talk about the cod shortage and I am sure you mentioned these seal eat cod. Why has someone as smart as you not noticed that seals have multiplied 2-3 times since the 70s and during this time cod numbers are way down ?

You are ignoring the fact that every source says there is millions of more seals now then there were 30-40 years ago. If we are killing them at "unsustainable" speeds tell me why there is so many now compared to the past ?

and can you please explain to me how this is so cruel and such a horrible thing for the ecosystem when the grand daddy of all tree hugger groups came up with this report ?
www.thesealfishery.com...

In 2005, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) commissioned the Independent Veterinarians Working Group Report. With reference to video evidence, the report states: "Perception of the seal hunt seems to be based largely on emotion, and on visual images that are often difficult even for experienced observers to interpret with certainty. While a hakapik strike on the skull of a seal appears brutal, it is humane if it achieves rapid, irreversible loss of consciousness leading to death.

See what the WWF did ? they used a independent source!
Why are you ignoring ever fact that is present from a independent source ?

It sound to me like your doing your thinking with your heart guided by disinformation and not your brain.

Feel free to go back and answer any of the many question asked that you avoided, but please don't use source that are designed to be on either side.

As in every single thing you have used as a source, even the people that have not expressed where they fit in this issue brought questions to your source.

Every stat I have is given out by the evil empire a.k.a the government of Canada. Why do you think the government of Canada would allow anything to endanger a species ? You do know Canada is not some broke down 3rd world country that needs to wipe out its wild life for a quick buck ?

[edit on 9-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Quick lie check

The Fat is rich in Omega-3, but your hide this FACT.
en.wikipedia.org...

p.s
I do not think skinning live animals alive is funny. I found your numbers and beliefs funny.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Here's something for people to think about. If the "hunt" (massacre) is so humane, why does the govt try so hard to hide it? Obviously, there is something going on out there that they don't want people to see.

Canada imposes legal obstacles on anyone attempting to protect seals, or to observe and document the hunt. Primarily, it does so by regulating the distance a person without a license can approach a sealer hunting seals. The official reason is to prevent disruption to the seal fishery.[74] However, Paul Watson may be correct that “Canada does not want us to see and document what happens up on those forlorn and lonely ice floes.”[75] Canadian officials seem to be aware that not all seals are killed humanely,[76] and may be interested in preventing the world from seeing gruesome footage of seals being clubbed to death, because such images helped cause the collapse of the fur seal market in the late 1970s.[77]

In order to observe the hunt, a person must be issued a seal fishery observation license.[78] Without such a license, a person can come no closer than one-half nautical mile to someone “fishing for seals.”[79] The objective of this provision “was to address the need that the seal fishery be allowed to take place without the interference of the public and particularly those who wished to express their opposition.”[80]

The DFO minister has discretion whether to issue a license to observe the hunt. Under the Regulations a license “may be issued only if the Minister determines that the issuance of the licence will not cause disruption to a seal fishery.”[81] The minister will only issue a license if he or she “comes to the conclusion the issuance of a license to an applicant will not disrupt the seal fishery in a particular area.”[82] In deciding whether to issue a license, the minister will consider whether the applicant intends to disrupt the seal hunt, or has been convicted in the past five years of tagging, marking or moving a live seal, or of coming within one-half nautical mile of a person hunting seals without holding a seal fishery observation license.[83]

For these reasons, it can be a challenge for anyone wishing to protect seals, or to film the hunt, to be granted an observation license. While there is no violation if a person without a license approaches or is within one-half nautical mile of a person who is not fishing for seals,[84] the term, “fishing for seals,” has been very broadly interpreted. Under the Fisheries Act, "’fishing’ means fishing for, catching or attempting to catch marine animals by any method.”[85] Even just walking on the ice and looking around may constitute “fishing for seals.”[86] Without a license, a person is not allowed to be within one half nautical mile of seal hunting activities without risking violating the Regulations. At such a distance, it would be difficult to protect seals or adequately film or photograph the actions of the sealers to document how the hunt is conducted. In this way, Canada is able to keep seal advocates away from the seals and the hunt, minimizing the amount of exposure to which the hunt is subjected.

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS
animallaw.info...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
i think it's great she's doing this.
don't think for a second the seal wouldn't do the same to you if given the chance.
why they'd kill you and your whole family,no mercy.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I am done arguing, it is obvious you are closed minded about this.

You are just making blanket statements without backing them up with anything.

Can you please address the question me and others have asked in this thread that you keep ignoring.

I have addressed many, if not all, of the things you have said. I guess you haven't bothered to read anything I've posted. Why don't you stop posting disinformation.

You talk about the cod shortage and I am sure you mentioned these seal eat cod. Why has someone as smart as you not noticed that seals have multiplied 2-3 times since the 70s and during this time cod numbers are way down ?

First of all, the number of seals was dangerously low in the '70's. The number of seals now is about 5-6 million. That is a lot lower than the 24 million that were originally there.

I mentioned that the seals also eat the PREY of cod. Do you see how killing seals actually hurts cod recovery?

You are ignoring the fact that every source says there is millions of more seals now then there were 30-40 years ago. If we are killing them at "unsustainable" speeds tell me why there is so many now compared to the past ?

...The harp seal population in the Northwest Atlantic, the target of the commercial hunt, is estimated to be in the range of 5.4 to 5.5 million,[12] down from perhaps as many as 24 million prior to commercial exploitation.[13]...

...As the commercial seal hunting industry off the eastern Coast of Canada has grown, the number of harp seals in the Northwest Atlantic has declined. In the early to mid 19th century, a large number of seals, over 200,000, were killed annually.[126] By the 1950s, this number had grown to an average of 310,000 seals.[127] By 1971, scientists estimated that the harp seal population had decreased by as much as two-thirds.[128] Fortunately, from approximately 1971 to 1986, annual catches of harp seals decreased to an average of 60,000 per year, which allowed the depleted population to recover somewhat.[129]

animallaw.info...

It sound to me like your doing your thinking with your heart guided by disinformation and not your brain.

It sounds to me like you are doing neither.

Feel free to go back and answer any of the many question asked that you avoided, but please don't use source that are designed to be on either side.

Why don't you go back & read those posts? You say I didn't answer your "questions," which is just misleading disinformation.

Every stat I have is given out by the evil empire a.k.a the government of Canada. Why do you think the government of Canada would allow anything to endanger a species ? You do know Canada is not some broke down 3rd world country that needs to wipe out its wild life for a quick buck ?

Asked & answered.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
You're wasting my time, posting the same garbage over and over again.
I don't care what this clueless wonder thinks, No I never even read her propaganda in full.

Address .. Please ...

-How can there be so many seals if you are right ?
-Explain how the WWF's studies agree with me ?
-For fun explain why you say the fat is poison and has no use ? A complete LIE!
-Address how there is no usable meats in the body (what is not used)
-How about how the hunters DO take the usable meat. Just like ANYOTHER prey of humans.

I was not very happy with the USA having nukes and electing Bush Jr. (2 god damn times), but you never seen me in D.C making a ass out of myself.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Quick lie check

More disinfo from you -

The Fat is rich in Omega-3, but your hide this FACT.
en.wikipedia.org...

Seal fat is also toxic. Somehow, it seems like fraud to market oil full of toxins as "healthy."

...Canadian products from seals that are being sold commercially may be unfit for human use or consumption because seals are not bound by the “healthy at the time of slaughter” rule, nor are they processed in accordance with the Canada’s “Meat Hygiene Directives,” both practices that are enforced in the legal trade of all other mammals...

Regarding pollutants, scientists continue to report observations of an increasing trend of accumulating heavy metals, PCB’s, etc. in marine mammals. The pollutants are most concentrated in the blubber, and in apex predators such as seals. The pollutants are thought to adversely affect the immune systems of these animals, and this may be one factor that has contributed to the rise of infectious diseases in seals. Newly weaned seal pups carry much higher concentrations of persistent pollutants than do their mothers. This is because, while nursing, a substantial fraction of the mother’s body fat is in effect transferred directly from the mother to the pup through the milk. Then an effect called bio-magnification occurs, as pollutants become more concentrated each time they shift into the next consuming animal...

Seal Products May Endanger Consumers
www.fisherycrisis.com...

...With seal products banned in the United States, the only product they could develop for the Canadian market was Omega-3 seal oil capsules to sell as some sort of health benefit. Still posing as snake oil salesmen, Canadian government civil servants working as seal product promotional salesmen began pushing seal oil as a cure for everything from warts to a remedy to prevent heart attacks. They conveniently failed to inform consumers of the toxins in this product such as trace amounts of PCB's and heavy metals including mercury...

COSTCO MAKES BUSINESS DECISION - GOOD NEWS FOR THE SEALS
www.world-wire.com...

I do not think skinning live animals alive is funny. I found your numbers and beliefs funny.

I find your ignorance funny, but kind of sad at the same time.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

You're wasting my time, posting the same garbage over and over again.
I don't care what this clueless wonder thinks, No I never even read her propaganda in full.

You just make yourself look ridiculous. You say why don't I answer this or that, then you admit you don't even read what I post.

-How can there be so many seals if you are right ?

Asked & answered

WWF is an NWO front organization.

-For fun explain why you say the fat is poison and has no use ? A complete LIE!

Again, you betray your woeful ignorance. I have posted citations about that. Have you EVER tried doing your own research?

-Address how there is no usable meats in the body (what is not used)

You just make it so obvious you don't actually read anything. I already said seal meat is considered unfit for human consumption & that the little meat that is used goes into pet food in Asia. The rest is wasted.

-How about how the hunters DO take the usable meat. Just like ANYOTHER prey of humans.

Except they don't usually. And so what if they do? Does that make it ok to torture an animal to death?

I was not very happy with the USA having nukes and electing Bush Jr. (2 god damn times), but you never seen me in D.C making a ass out of myself.

No, you just make an ass of yourself on the internet.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by someotherguy]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

the torture of animals is something most look own on. i look down on it. it is just pure evil in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy

WWF is an NWO front organization.

Big call, care to back it up? Is the WWF bent on world domination?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join