It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty queen hunts seals after bad press

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee I do agree with your points but the issue is when this 'culture' becomes a feature of the catwalks of Paris, Milan and London. I'm not blinkered enough that I don't see that the practice of Seal Clubbing has been in existence since the Year Dot by the indiginous people of the area but that is not an excuse to market this cruel practice for the rich buyers around the world. Surely this train of thought could be level at many of the similar acts carried out around the globe such as:

The skinning of live cats and Raccoon Dogs in China for fur.
The Rhinoceros horn and Tiger penis trade
The Ivory trade in Africa
The 'milking' of Bile Bears in Vietnam.
Hog-baiting in the US.
Goat Throwing in Manganeses de la Polvorosa, Spain

Those are a small sample of issues but the problem is in 'Western Culture' is that we like to think of ourselves as being removed from acts of cruelty and that they are what the savages do. On a website that looks into so many issues of wonder, I find it hard to belive that there are so many people on here that condone such acts. The consumption of meat and their by-products are a fact of life but IMO, animals should be treated with the compassion and those which are destined to be slaughtered in a quick, humane way.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Archangel
reply to post by Annee

Annee I do agree with your points but the issue is when this 'culture' becomes a feature of the catwalks of Paris, Milan and London. I'm not blinkered enough that I don't see that the practice of Seal Clubbing has been in existence since the Year Dot by the indiginous people of the area but that is not an excuse to market this cruel practice for the rich buyers around the world. Surely this train of thought could be level at many of the similar acts carried out around the globe such as:

The skinning of live cats and Raccoon Dogs in China for fur.
The Rhinoceros horn and Tiger penis trade
The Ivory trade in Africa
The 'milking' of Bile Bears in Vietnam.
Hog-baiting in the US.
Goat Throwing in Manganeses de la Polvorosa, Spain

Those are a small sample of issues but the problem is in 'Western Culture' is that we like to think of ourselves as being removed from acts of cruelty and that they are what the savages do. On a website that looks into so many issues of wonder, I find it hard to belive that there are so many people on here that condone such acts. The consumption of meat and their by-products are a fact of life but IMO, animals should be treated with the compassion and those which are destined to be slaughtered in a quick, humane way.

How much does natural Tanning affect our environment - - compared to processing artificial fabrics - and polluting dyes?

An animal coat is the wrapping that holds the meat - - which feeds the people.

I am not against fur coats - - if the natural by-product is used in a productive way.

The problem is really Greed & Excess.

**** Note: tanning and food processing can be done in a healthy way or an un-healthy way for man & environment. So I don't need that lecture.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun
Dude all you can only post articles from hippie nuts, all powered my emotional rage and not science at all.

Look at how rational your claims are.

500,000 killed a year.

Ah, the admitted Satan-worshipper posts again spewing his disinformation. I can counter any argument you wish to make b/c I, unlike you, am informed about this issue.

... Taking into account mortality from hunting, struck and lost, and fisheries, it is estimated that approximately 465,000 harp seals in the Northwest Atlantic population were killed each year from 1997 to 1999.[175] The total removal for 1999 was approximately 483,000 harp seals, of which 281,000 were pups.[176] ...

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS
CYNTHIA HODGES, J.D., LL.M, M.A.
animallaw.info...

skinning up to 42% ALIVE

Did you even read what I posted earlier from the Burdon Report? Well, here it is again since you seem to have over-looked that citation.

The Burdon Report concluded that up to 42% of the seals examined had been skinned alive.[68]

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS

Do you you really believe professional fisherman skin 215,000 seals alive every year ?

Really ?

Yes. It's been documented.

BTW, the murder of thousands of seals went well tonight, new club works good and Satan says hi.

You and your ilk are evil.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by someotherguy

You're gonna have to find me a neutral un-biased report - - without a personal agenda - - for me to accept these statistics.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
She actually has her own site. Miss New Foundland

Honestly, I can't say that I blame her disdain for the press. I suppose she thinks that if she is going to be accused, she might as well have the "fun" of doing it. Let the flaming begin.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy

Maybe now the hippies will leave the sealer's alone.
They do nothing wrong!

Oh, yeah, they do "nothing wrong." They just kill an unsustainable number of baby seals every year (up to 500,000), kill them in the most brutal ways imaginable (including skinning up to 42% ALIVE), destroying the balance of the ecosystem (seals prey on fish that prey on cod), etc.

That "beauty queen" may be pretty on the outside, but on the inside, she's hateful & ugly.

If seals weren't cute, nobody would care. Newfoundlanders are cute, too...and they've already had the cod fishery taken from them. Seals are a resource, and I have no problem with them being harvested, the more humane the better.

But even Newfies have to feed their kids. Macca didn't address that, did he?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

LOL...You don't know many youths of today, do ya?
Hell, the girls are more brutal than the guys. Go to youtube. There are videos of girls killing creatures on there all the time.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
First off I am very much a atheist and I believe in Satan as much as I believe in "God". I am too old for fairy tales, so stop calling me a Satan worshiper please.

All your reports are from peoples who's goal is to end the "great seal slaughter" and have NO support about other groups just like themselves.

Go read any report done by anyone that has been legitimately peer reviewed by a neutral source. Please go get educated before you spew your lies about my Country and our people.

I LOVE how all you hippies love the whitecoat seals pictures that are sooooo cute to make evil villians out out hard working fisherman/hunters but FYI Canada banned the hunting of them in 1987!

This includes skinning them alive 100,000s at a time

Harp seal quota for 2009 hunt: 280,000.
Estimated size of the seal herd off Atlantic Canada: 5.6 million.

A 2002 report in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that "the large majority of seals taken during this hunt … are killed in an acceptably humane manner."

Department of Fisheries and Oceans says the club, or hakapik, used by many sealers is "an efficient tool" that kills "quickly and humanely." The Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada found that clubbing, when properly performed, is at least as humane as killing methods in commercial slaughterhouses.

You talk a lot about the seal but completely ignore then rural communities then use the hunt as a means to LIVE.

DFO says Canada's seal population is "healthy and abundant" at about 5.6 million animals and triple what it was in the 1970s.

I could post 1000s of FACTs and you will say the Canadian government is cruel for allowing it.

but please remember the Department of Fisheries and Oceans are VERY protective of CANADA's waters and wild life.

The biggest salmon spawn in Canada is close to me and these bastards will only allow me to keep 2 a day for a short run .. and I need license and tags

You are trusting the word of hippies over people who know and love there land/country ... really who the .. do you think you are ?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I LOVE how all you hippies ...You are trusting the word of hippies over people who know and love there land/country ... really who the .. do you think you are ?

So lose the sobriquet "Hippies" as the bad guys here. You might actually have some long-haired dope-sucking weirdos on your side too, eh?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Canadian posters should not see what they deem to be nagative comments on this thread as a personal attack on them and their country. The issue what most people have issue with is the needless killings of these creatures to fill the coffers from foreign buyers just to meet the needs of a fashion whim. The use of skins by indiginous people could be excused by most people but anything other is seen as a step to far.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Canadian posters should not see what they deem to be nagative comments on this thread as a personal attack on them and their country. The issue what most people have issue with is the needless killings of these creatures to fill the coffers from foreign buyers just to meet the needs of a fashion whim. The use of skins by indiginous people could be excused by most people but anything other is seen as a step to far.

Oh puleeeze! Do you wear leather and eat meat? Gimme a break!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I got in trouble for using other words
so I replaced them with the word hippie.

Sorry if I offended any long-haired dope-sucking weirdos, in my ranting.

@The_Archangel

Seals provide four products: fur, leather, fat (rendered for Omega3 medicinal oil) and meat. The bulk of the meat is located in the “flippers”, which the sealers take leaving the mostly meatless carcasses on the ice to return to the eco-system, as the ice melts the carcasses slip back into the ocean and provide food for other species. This eliminates the need to dispose of offal in landfills, a serious problem for land-based abattoirs: a green practice.

By body weight, the use of seal based products compares favorably with the use of products from other animals killed by man.

But you know ... a baby white seal (that are not part of the hunt anymore) is a hell of a lot cuter then your average cow.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Got to admire a gutsy girl like that, that refuses to kowtow to the corporate created PC that has poisoned many minds on the planet.

I don't despise too many things...but corporate sponsored PC is def at the top of mental poison I wish folks would just flush and walk away from forever.....

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Please don't come out with the same point all the time as it makes you come across as some sort of delusional, Canadian redneck which I am sure you are not. Leather is a by product of a animal that, in most countries, are killed humanly and where the whole carcass are used.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Please don't come out with the same point all the time as it makes you come across as some sort of delusional, Canadian redneck which I am sure you are not. Leather is a by product of a animal that, in most countries, are killed humanly and where the whole carcass are used.

Get a grip...the food chain is not a pretty thing...that's why it pays to be at the top. Guess you missed our Governor-General eating raw seal a while back.

I repeat, if seals looked like bugs, you wouldn't give a rat's patoot. I refer you to Lobster...
No delusion here...if you eat meat or wear leather...or eat Jello, you have nothing to say. Try not to be so Emo...and take a better look at the whole equation. The Rock rules!

[edit on 8-1-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
If seals weren't cute, nobody would care.

That is absolutely not true.

Newfoundlanders are cute, too...and they've already had the cod fishery taken from them.

They over-fished it. It wasn't "taken from them." It's their own dumb, greedy fault.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by someotherguy]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy

If seals weren't cute, nobody would care.

That is absolutely not true.

Newfoundlanders are cute, too...and they've already had the cod fishery taken from them.

They over-fished it. It wasn't "taken from them." It's their own dumb, greedy fault.

You have just proven that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Get back once you've educated yourself on the subject. 'Til then, you have nothing to say.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Archangel

See you do not know what you are talking about.

ALL the fat is used.
ALL the Fur is used.
Most the meat is used (think there is much real meat in the body ? I know how you can figure it out... I will lend you my new club)

We are talking about Native Americans (never waste anything) and Newfies (these nuts even eat cod tongues

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

We are talking about Native Americans (never waste anything) and Newfies (these nuts even eat cod tongues

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Get a grip...the food chain is not a pretty thing...that's why it pays to be at the top. Guess you missed our Governor-General eating raw seal a while back.

I repeat, if seals looked like bugs, you wouldn't give a rat's patoot. I refer you to Lobster...
No delusion here...if you eat meat or wear leather...or eat Jello, you have nothing to say. Try not to be so Emo...and take a better look at the whole equation. The Rock rules!

Well I suppose it takes a person of a certain intellect to indulge in such practice and by the looks of things you fit the bill. Please don't speak about me as if you know me. I have travelled the four corners of this planet and have seen a number traditions that I didnt like but could see the method in their madness. The aesthetics of animals does not have a bearing on the act. All living creatures should be treated with compassion but you may find that concept hard to grasp.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join