It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty queen hunts seals after bad press

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It would've been far more effective if the model made a statement to the press something along the lines of "look, you doctored a picture of me wearing the seal fur. If you don't admit you were lying and that the picture is fake then I WILL join the hunt and it will be on your hands".

She just went the whole way! Pretty ballsy but probably less effective IMO

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
We should kill more seals than we do already. Over 5 million of them mooching off the fisheries... That's ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It may shock some of you but seal hunts make up a substantial portion of some people's diet and contribute enormously to the local economies. The hunting methods may be seem brutal but is that any worse than calves or chickens raised in tiny stalls for veal? I don;t think so. These were wild animals that had a natural life.

I was raised in a family that hunts and a we eat a good deal of wild game; deer, elk, squirrel. I would far rather eat meat from an animal that has a real life than one raised in captivity.

I say good for her! She is defending HER way of life and the values of the community that she grew up in rather than shrinking away from criticism she meets it head on. My kinda girl!

Just because you don't understand the way of life that she grew up in doesn't give others the right to trash her. At 19 you're still a kid IMO.
I'm sure every one of us does things that people in other cultures would find shocking or disgusting. Learning about other ways of life helps us to understand the world community and how mankind adapts to life in different areas. Nature provides for us wherever we live, if we don;t take advantage of what it provides we die, it's that simple.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

There is no good reason to kill seals . There is always a good excuse to ruin the entire life of someone prepared to kill one without any particular excuse. I wonder what she would think if we all hunted down her future children and battered them to death? I think she would be displeased. I think its a worthy venture... vacuous idiot cow.

I agree with True Brit see quote above.

What a vicious mean sob................no excuse for hunting anything.

All creatures are beings and deserve not to be tortured.

If she wants revenge (that has karma attached to it) fine, go after the people who screwed with her not the poor beings who are minding their own business and never hurt her.

Stupid - mean - ignorant.

I've met seals in SF and their nice, one came right up to me.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by someotherguy

No matter what side you're on. No matter what you believe.

You can always find someone - some group - some statistic - to back up your claim.

Which is entirely different then an Independent un-biased study - without an agenda.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by EndOfTheWorld7

Well if she's going to wear it, at least she has the guts to kill it herself.

Imagine it was a requirement to choose and kill the animal live before you buy the fur you want to wear?

That is a good idea! I also think every person in the world should kill, clean and prepare a animal they loved to eat at least once. It is just natural and lets see who would do it. I have, but some people would not.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Optix

I have no problem with killing a farm animal, cleaning it, and eating its flesh. I have a problem with people who kill for any other reason than to survive, and fulfil the immediate needs of the body .

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Optix

I have no problem with killing a farm animal, cleaning it, and eating its flesh. I have a problem with people who kill for any other reason than to survive, and fulfil the immediate needs of the body .

Yeah, i agree as well. I meant that most people would not have the guts to go through with it. It would change peoples' minds.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Optix]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Shes Hot!

She's Conservative!

She Hunts!!!!!

What more can a man ask for?

GIVEM' HELL SARAH!

Maybe there will be some activists there.....club those SOB's while your at it and feed them to an Orca!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Why do they have to club them anyway? Is it the most efficient way to kill a large amount in a short time or is it just tradition? Anyway i don't have a problem with it as long as it is done humanely and strict regulation in place. Never tried seal meat, sounds like it would be a tad chewy though and not very appetizing.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I often ask myself whether people thought the movie Predator was a comedy.

What is it with these Pageant queens are they bred dumb or do they have to stay up late and practice ?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The question I have is, don't they have guns in Canada? I mean if your going to kill an animal do it quickly. I might be wrong on this, maybe baby seals are extremely offensive in some way to Canadians and this must be done. But if your going to kill an animal I think that a large caliber rifle would do the trick, I would think it's easier and maybe safer.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy
The Newfoundlanders crashed the cod-fishery themselves, thanks to mismanagement from DFO.

If you had a clue, you'd realise that your statement is self contradictory. Talk to a sealer or a fisherman. And when it comes to the seal hunt, Paul Watson is an arse...which is why he doesn't get any of my money.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

There is no good reason to kill seals . There is always a good excuse to ruin the entire life of someone prepared to kill one without any particular excuse. I wonder what she would think if we all hunted down her future children and battered them to death? I think she would be displeased. I think its a worthy venture... vacuous idiot cow.

I agree with True Brit see quote above.

What a vicious mean sob................no excuse for hunting anything.

All creatures are beings and deserve not to be tortured.

If she wants revenge (that has karma attached to it) fine, go after the people who screwed with her not the poor beings who are minding their own business and never hurt her.

Stupid - mean - ignorant.

I've met seals in SF and their nice, one came right up to me.

If you think it's revenge good on you, but I would suggest it is more that she would be agrees with the hunt and is willing to participate to prove it.

Have you ever eaten meat? Did you have the guts to kill and butcher those animals yourself? I agree with the posters above. You should have to kill your own animals that you eat at least once to really "know" where the meat comes from and how the animals are treated. I bet you there would be far less lamb and veal eaten in the west if this was the case.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Solomons

The question I have is, don't they have guns in Canada? I mean if your going to kill an animal do it quickly. I might be wrong on this, maybe baby seals are extremely offensive in some way to Canadians and this must be done. But if your going to kill an animal I think that a large caliber rifle would do the trick, I would think it's easier and maybe safer.

Why do you think guns are better? Is it partly because familiarity and culturally guns fit "your norm" better?

Do you know how cows/pigs are killed so they can be put in neat and tidy plastic bins in the supermarket?

I do not know if all farm stock is killed this way - - but one way is to put a type of jack hammer to their forehead and pull the trigger. I do not know if this is still how it is done.

Perhaps "clubbing" is the most humane way. I don't know. I'm not going to judge what I don't know because it is visually objectionable.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
the only good news i can see here is that hunting accidents can possibly happen!
gooooo hunting accidents!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
the only good news i can see here is that hunting accidents can possibly happen!
gooooo hunting accidents!

Once again, I say,,,you'd be better off having a chat with a Newfoundlander. To make the inference that their lives are not worth that of a seal's is pretty skewed. Shooting off your mouth is cheap and easy. Best make an intellectual investment in the subject before you talk like that.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Childishness at the highest degree.

Shame.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
A baby seal walks into a club...

lol

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
In my final year at university my housemates and a few others went lobster hunting near a bridge off the motorway. One of my housemates did marine biology and her teacher said that there are lobsters in that area- indeed there are!

We shooed one into a large plastic box and brought it home. It mustve been sitting in that box in our kitchen for at least an hour while we researched humane ways to kill it. Some wanted to boil it alive saying that the lobster cant detect heat changes through the shell anyway and it will just stop moving. I had seen clips from restaurant documentaries where they throw lobsters into a boiling pot and they go flipping nuts trying to jump out! no way did that theory seem correct. So what we actually did was take a large serrated knife and hammer it through the top of the skull then pull the knife horizontally through the face effectively splitting its head in two.

It took about 30 minutes more for us to decide who would do this to the lobster and I'm glad it wasn't me. However I AM glad we did it though because it made me think twice about where my food is coming from. Could we have done the same to a wild rabbit?

PS tasted really nice

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join