It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty queen hunts seals after bad press

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm quite sure the model reacted out of anger, and perhaps will give her intentions a little more thought once she cools down. I quit eating meat a number of years back, not because of a sudden dislike for the taste, but because I had to quit hunting due to an injury, and my refusal to buy meat from a store. I was given a tour through a meat packer's many years ago, and what I seen and learned that day just sickened me. The misery suffered by these animals begins the moment they are rounded up and loaded onto the truck for transport to the slaughter house. Remember when 'meat packers' were called 'slaughter houses'? A 'meat packing plant' doesn't impact the senses quite the same way as 'slaughter house'. Many of these hapless animals are injured en route due to overcrowding on the truck, as well as the rough handling they receive whilst being loaded onto it. To hear cattle bawling from pain and discomfort long before they even arrive at their destination is bad enough, but it gets worse once they start smelling the blood and fear and all the other foul stenches as the truck nears the slaughter house. Cattle have senses of smell and hearing almost as sharp as those of deer, and can pick up on these bawls of terror and horrible smells associated with slaughter houses, during the last half mile or so of the trip. I'm only relating a bit of what I seen that day, so I'm sure there are 'experts' out there who will say it all means nothing to the cattle, as they are dumb and haven't a clue as to what is happening around them, but they'll never convince me that it wasn't terror I seen in the eyes of those animals. I'm not saying cattle are smart enough to recognize the pulsating objects on the work tables as being hearts, but they do recognize the smells associated with pain and death. I'm not even going to touch on the things I seen as my tour continued, but it was enough to make me stop eating store bought meat. Many will say I'm a hypocrite because I continued hunting, and perhaps in a way you are right, but hunting if done properly, doesn't cause anywhere near the misery, suffered by animals that go to slaughter, producing those nice looking cuts of meat sold in the local supermarket. I forget what it's called, but there is a spray that gives the meat its red, healthy look. I never was a trophy hunter, and displaying the head of a deer on my living room wall was just not my thing. My shots were always clean, and if I didn't think I would drop the deer right where it stood, I wouldn't take a shot. More than once I let a beautiful buck in his prime just walk past me. None of the meat I shot and ate contained the antibiotics and growth hormones that get injected into pigs and cattle. Because of flooding caused by an overabundance of beaver and the problems they caused in a couple of the conservation areas I managed in Southern Ontario, a trapper would have to be brought in to help keep their numbers in check. Of course he would keep the pelts, but if anyone wanted the meat, they could have it. Nothing was wasted. I had to quit hunting, and now because of personal beliefs I wouldn't return to it even if I were able. My wife never did like game, and still eats store bought meat, but that is her choice, and none of my business. My only involvement is in cooking on the barbecue for her. This may sound a bit lame, but If I was a food source animal, I would rather my life was ended by the bullet of a responsible hunter, rather than the bolt of someone working on the kill floor of a slaughterhouse. I only put it this way as a means of trying to explain myself and my reasoning. I thoroughly enjoyed my years of hunting, and would do it all over again, except for something I came to realize, which would prevent me from shooting another animal. I also have come to respect the Animal Kingdom, way more than I do my fellow human beings. Animals don't start wars, nor do they kill each other just because they can, and they certainly don't pollute.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Nice post. I'd be a vegetarian too - - except I have a blood sugar problem and my body seems to only stay "level" from beef. For 40 years I've tried to get off beef. I've tried just fish - poultry - etc. I don't know what makes beef different - - but something in it keeps me and my body "sane". I have cut way down - only having beef about every fourth day. At 63 - I'm not gonna worry about the purity of it. I don't need to live forever.

I avoided the slaughter houses - but I did work in a meat processing plant. Sara Lee is one of the largest meat processors in the world. Most of the meat came from Australia. It came in frozen cubes about 18 inches square. It had to be put through a magnetic machine - because the cows - pretty much eat whatever is in front of them - including nails and/or anything else.

Anyway - - I did hear stories about the slaughter houses.

Because people can identify with baby white seals being bludgeoned and their fur covered in blood - - they are horrified. But buying packaged meat at the supermarket is kind of a "if I can't see it - that's OK".

I DO NOT KNOW. However - in my opinion an experienced seal hunter striking a seal correctly - - is probably more humane then not.

Still - - it is a cultural thing. Do they need to be educated - or do outsiders need to be educated? Often "do gooders" do more harm then good.

I am not condoning anything. Just trying to use a perception of logic.

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join