It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty queen hunts seals after bad press

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Culture is always the hardest thing to change.

If you were for some reason - forced into a culture where seals were a livelihood - would you stand up against the culture?

Don't be so quick to judge.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Why stop with seals? Those damn dolphins and blue whales should be next. I would murder a whole pod of dolphins just so i could have some lovely dolphin skin furniture.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun
reply to post by someotherguy

You are a liar. Sorry there is no way other way I can say it.

Harp seals are not endangered in ANYWAY.
There is over 5,000.000, Since Seal hunting has become regulated this number is double of what it was.

You are uninformed.

... As the commercial seal hunting industry off the eastern Coast of Canada has grown, the number of harp seals in the Northwest Atlantic has declined. In the early to mid 19th century, a large number of seals, over 200,000, were killed annually.[126] By the 1950s, this number had grown to an average of 310,000 seals.[127] By 1971, scientists estimated that the harp seal population had decreased by as much as two-thirds.[128] Fortunately, from approximately 1971 to 1986, annual catches of harp seals decreased to an average of 60,000 per year, which allowed the depleted population to recover somewhat.[129] However, in 1995, DFO Minister, Brian Tobin, increased the quota, claiming that harp seals were preventing depleted cod stocks from recovering.[130] However, scientists believe that over-fishing and failures in fisheries management were to blame for depleted cod stocks.[131]

As the regulatory body, the DFO in the department that sets the Total Allowable Catches (TACs) for the Northwest Atlantic population.[132] TACs are set for a three-year period.[133] In 1997 and 1999, the TAC set for harp seals was 275,000.[134] In 2003, the DFO increased the quota to 350,000 seals, allowing 975,000 harp seals to be killed from 2003 to 2005.[135] In 2006, the TAC was reduced to 335,000.[136] The TAC was reduced further in 2007 to 270,000, but raised again in 2008 to 275,000 seals.[137] The reported kills were 244,552 in 1999, 91,602 in 2000,[138] 289,512 in 2003, and 365,971 in 2004.[139] However, the reported total catch is not the total number of seals actually killed.[140] Because the landed catch statistics do not include the numbers of seals that are killed but are not landed (struck and lost),[141] the total numbers of seals killed is higher than reported.[142]

Continued hunting of such large numbers of seals could cause the population to become “depleted,” which means reduced to levels less than half of its maximum population size.[143] Total removals that exceed 288,000 seals could cause the harp seal population to become depleted.[144] Even if TACs were lowered to 275,000, government scientists predict that the population would be reduced to about 3.85 million seals by 2011.[145] This seems to be the plan, as Canadian officials have intimated that “large-scale hunting will be allowed to continue until the number of harp seals falls to 3.85 million.”[146] Thus, the objective of the current management plan seems to be to increase the number of harp seals killed “while maintaining the population above a precautionary reference point set at 70% (3.85 million seals) of the current population level.”[147] However, setting population at 70% may be unsafe because it is difficult to estimate current population size, and may even threaten the Northwest Atlantic harp seal population.[148]

By a number of accounts, the Canadian TACs for the seal hunt are likely unsustainable. Some scientists consider the scientific model used by the DFO to set harp seal TACs to be risky because it “fails to take into account many uncertainties.”[149] Any change in a number of variables could cause a drastic decline in the size of the harp seal population.[150] The management plan may fail to sufficiently consider such variables as environmental “unpredictability, climate change and the bioaccumulation of anthropogenic toxins, which in turn reduce reproductive rates and increase mortality.”[151] Another variable that is not taken into account is the unregulated hunt that occurs in the summer off the West coast of Greenland.[152] This hunt targets the same seal population that is killed in the commercial Canadian hunt in the spring.[153] Approximately 100,000 to 180,000 harp seals are killed in the Greenland hunt each year.[154] Unfortunately, DFO does not consider the loss of these seals when setting its TACs.[155]...

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS

CYNTHIA HODGES, J.D., LL.M, M.A.

It is regulated, just like any other hunting or fishing in North America, So there is strict quota. This insures there is no danger of the animal going extinct.

It is badly regulated. See above.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by someotherguy]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Your hippie llies about skinning alive is PROPAGANDA and you believing it shows you are just jumping aboard the hippie band-wagon.

It has been documented by veterinarians, among others.

...Not only is the Regulations’ language inadequate to ensure humane killing, but also the hunters’ frequent non-compliance with the rules results in seals often experiencing “a slow death preceded by suffering.”[64] Horrifyingly, some seals are skinned while they are still alive and conscious. The Burdon Report concluded that the majority of seal hunters were not administering a blinking reflex test before skinning or bleeding seals. In fact, they found that “79% did not check a corneal reflex, indicating that many of these seals could potentially have been skinned or hooked alive.”[65] The Daoust Report[66] found that “[a] large proportion (87%) of the sealers ... failed to palpate the skull or check the corneal reflex before proceeding to hook or bleed the seal, or go to another seal.”[67] The Burdon Report concluded that up to 42% of the seals examined had been skinned alive.[68] Rebecca Aldworth of the Humane Society of the United States has said that she “routinely witness[es] ... seals being skinned alive..."[69] while hearing the seals utter “indescribable sound[s] of wails and screams,”[70] and seeing them convulse while being skinned.[71]

THE CANADIAN COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNT: IN SEARCH OF INTERNATIONAL LEGAL PROTECTION FOR HARP SEALS
animallaw.info...

It is Fact those study that found "skinning alive" was bought and paid for by hippie groups. Show me 1 legitimate study that has a legitimate peer group review.

About the Burdon Report:

( “The six veterinarians involved with this report ... were brought together by the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) to act as licensed observers of the Canadian Seal Hunt 2001. Their objective was to act as professional, independent observers, to observe the hunt, ... and, using their combined experience and knowledge, to make comment on the current conduct of the hunt.”).

animallaw.info...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy
Oh, yeah, they do "nothing wrong." They just kill an unsustainable number of baby seals every year (up to 500,000),

Harp seal populations in the northwest Atlantic declined to approximately 2 million in the early 1970s, prompting stronger regulations on seal hunting. As a result of these regulations, the harp seal population in this area increased steadily since then until the mid 1990's, and was estimated at 5.9 million (between 4.6 and 7.2 million) in 2004

kill them in the most brutal ways imaginable (including skinning up to 42% ALIVE),

Another study, conducted by the IFAW, an anti-sealing group, disputes these findings, however, detailing "42% of cases where there was not enough evidence of cranial injury to guarantee unconsciousness at the time of skinning, and 79% of cases where sealers did not check to ensure that the seals were dead prior to skinning them

The IFAW is an organization founded for purpose of opposing the Canadian seal hunt and their 2001 study was not peer reviewed.

These findings are at odds with the CVMA report which states that Daoust, at the same time and in the same location, recorded that 86 percent of skulls had been completely crushed by strikes with hakapiks. It states further that two years previously, Bollinger and Campbell had recorded that 98.2 percent of the skulls examined were completely crushed

destroying the balance of the ecosystem (seals prey on fish that prey on cod), etc.

That "beauty queen" may be pretty on the outside, but on the inside, she's hateful & ugly.

In 2005, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) commissioned the Independent Veterinarians Working Group Report. With reference to video evidence, the report states: "Perception of the seal hunt seems to be based largely on emotion, and on visual images that are often difficult even for experienced observers to interpret with certainty. While a hakapik strike on the skull of a seal appears brutal, it is humane if it achieves rapid, irreversible loss of consciousness leading to death

source

[edit on 8-1-2010 by heyo]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Even your Hippie friends (the non-crazy ones) cannot legitimately say clubbing is any worst then other forms of hunting or fishing.

A. Hunting Methods

Unfortunately, the Regulations fail to ensure that seals are killed humanely, despite the Canadian Government’s claim that the hunt is “acceptably humane.”[50] According to Dr. Ian Robinson, a British member of the 2001 Burdon panel:

The Canadian Government insists that the seal hunt is an animal production industry like any other. They say that it might not be pretty, but basically, it is just like any abattoir except on the ice. But we found obvious levels of suffering which would not be tolerated in any other animal industry in the world.[51]

If one thinks of “humane killing” as causing the immediate loss of consciousness that “renders an animal insensible to pain,” [52] then the requirements are inadequate for a couple of reasons. In conventional slaughter, “an effective process which induces immediate unconsciousness and insensibility or an induction to a period of unconsciousness without distress, and [the] guarantee of non-recovery from the process until death ensues” are “basic principles.”[53] Unfortunately, these “basic principles” are violated in the seal hunt, because neither “immediate unconsciousness” nor “non-recovery” can be “guaranteed.”[54] One problem with the “as soon as possible” language in the Regulations is that a seal can languish for hours in agony before finally being killed.[55] In contrast to the Meat Inspection Regulations, 1990, which mandate that food animals shall be rendered unconscious by “delivering a blow to the head ... in a manner that causes immediate loss of consciousness,”[56] seals are to be struck on the forehead until the skull has been crushed.[57] This would seem to suggest that seals may be subjected to multiple blows,[58] which some consider to not be “acceptable from an animal welfare point of view.”[59] In addition, hitting the seal on the forehead may not be the best way to render it unconscious. According to the Burdon Report[60]:

The most efficient way to render an animal unconscious by a blow to the head, is a blow to the brain stem... [I]n seals, flexion of the neck places a thick layer of blubber over the base of the skull. Therefore, the only target area available in a seal is the skull overlying the cerebral cortex. Delivering a blow to this area and the underlying cortex is a much less efficient way of rendering an animal unconscious.[61]

Unfortunately, even a “large blow to the cerebral cortex is unlikely to result in immediate brain stem herniation.”[62] Therefore, it cannot be relied upon as a method of causing immediate unconsciousness, and should be considered as a stunning method only, “producing a potentially temporary loss of consciousness.”[63]

animallaw.info...

Why does the government regulate something that is unsustainable ?

They WANT to kill seals. That is the purpose of the hunt. It is easier to blame seals for the collapse of the fisheries than their own pathetically incompetent management.

You have no idea what you are talking about that I am sure of.

I think you're the one who has no idea what you are talking about. You've made that obvious.

I am out of here, My friends and me are off to try out my new club and skin some crap alive while we chant to Satan.

Yes, you have just confirmed that you are evil. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

If you were for some reason - forced into a culture where seals were a livelihood - would you stand up against the culture?

I don't have an objection to indigenous people hunting seals for sustenance. They don't kill an unsustainable number of babies - they hunt adults. The commercial hunt actually hurts indigenous people b/c it depletes their food supply. What I object to is the brutal, cruel, over-exploitation of animals for fun & profit. By their own admission, those demons enjoy kicking, skinning & otherwise torturing baby seals to death.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't know if I agree with WHY she is NOW on this mission to hunt, but I am definitly a supporter of hunting done for food, not sport. If you eat and use the animal you kill then so be it. Indians killed and used almost EVERY part of that animal for SOME purpose. There is nothing wrong with that. Today you have many (including myself) who hunt for the meat. I would much rather have my own then buy from a store.

I actually overheard one of these "activists" say that ALL hunting should be illegal and the only way killing an animal should be ok is by accident or put down for medical reasons. I asked her what do we do when the population of animals is so high that vegetation is all but gone, roads are overrun causing accidents, disease is running wild, etc... Her answer: "well we will just have to figure it out then" And that folks is why I am glad the majority rules...

[edit on 1/8/2010 by rcwj1975]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I don't have an objection to indigenous people hunting seals for sustenance. They don't kill an unsustainable number of babies - they hunt adults. The commercial hunt actually hurts indigenous people b/c it depletes their food supply. What I object to is the brutal, cruel, over-exploitation of animals for fun & profit. By their own admission, those demons enjoy kicking, skinning & otherwise torturing baby seals to death.

And you know that this woman and her family brutally bludgeon baby seals?

There are people who follow rules and there are people who do not follow rules - - in every part of society.

There are hunters that follow regulations and there are poachers.

Hunting/Fishing licenses are the #1 resource for financial support of wildlife.

I appreciate that people of different thinking keep each other in check.

However - - - it is NOT the animal rights activist who provide the major funding to keep wild animals/environment healthy.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by someotherguy

Just for the record, it would be humane to cut thier heads of with a single strike from a well honed sword. It certainly is not humane to kill by bludgeon , especialy if you cannot garuntee a first hit kill.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Dude all you can only post articles from hippie nuts, all powered my emotional rage and not science at all.

Look at how rational your claims are.

500,000 killed a year.
skinning up to 42% ALIVE

Do you you really believe professional fisherman skin 215,000 seals alive every year ?

Really ?

Hippie propaganda, Whats the difference if we club a million of the little bastards this year ? Global warming will have them killed off in the next 5 years anyway ... right ?

BTW, the murder of thousands of seals went well tonight, new club works good and Satan says hi.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by nophun]

[edit on 8-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I really do get irrate with these shortsighted people that label well meaning people with a Enviro-fascists. One of the reason why humanity is descending into Tartarus is that we are not advancing as a race. We may be surrounded in advanced technology but we still have one foot in the Dark Ages.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok, just so you know, don't alter a photo of her killing a person for gods sakes!

Shesh Oh Pete!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

If Ms. Green does go seal clubbing; she can just kiss any modeling, acting, entertainment job goodby. Even in Canada the people in the "industry" are exceptionally liberal and of the "hippie" mindset as nophun references. If she ever shows up to a legitimate audition the casting directors would run her off even before she got a chance to slate.
And there would be no place for her in the US either. Bad press is a career killer unless it has to do with sex or drugs; then it's OK cause sex and drugs is de reguer.

I don't think she has the guts to sabotage her career even before it gets started. It would be a shame for such a pretty girl to "blow it" because of some kind of stupid reaction to a stupid picture.

We have long memories and have no tolerance for dumbasses that might cost us money. And you can take that to the bank.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Archangel
I really do get irrate with these shortsighted people that label well meaning people with a Enviro-fascists. One of the reason why humanity is descending into Tartarus is that we are not advancing as a race. We may be surrounded in advanced technology but we still have one foot in the Dark Ages.

True. All I'm saying is CULTURE is hard to change. You can't just attack people for doing something that is part of their culture.

I think all humans & the planet itself would be better off if - - everyone became vegetarian - - and focused on evolving as a species.

However - - that's not fully realistic -- without changing minds and culture. Back to square - - "its hard to change a culture".

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Shere Khaan

There is no good reason to kill seals . There is always a good excuse to ruin the entire life of someone prepared to kill one without any particular excuse. I wonder what she would think if we all hunted down her future children and battered them to death? I think she would be displeased. I think its a worthy venture... vacuous idiot cow.

Yeah, because killing children is the same as killing seals. Speaking of cows, have you any problems with the annual cow hunt? Hmm...actually it's more of a slaughter and it happens year round, world round (except India of course
).

I'm so tired of this seal business. As others have pointed out, quota's are kept and the species is not in danger. They're quite tasty as well. How about you folks stick up for some of the more unattractive animals for a change, you know cows, goats, pigs etc...Oh, and plants have feelings to. Peace, I'm out!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Here is the long and short of it, there are those do-gooders who think plants are just aching to die to fill their bellies and that baby carrots didn’t want to live to be big carrots!

Those baby carrots of course were grown by a huge agro-corporation probably in .16 seconds with about 23 million chemicals half of them derived from dead animals!

But that’s beside’s the point. Seals live in the wild…

The Powers that Be want to protect the Seals because Seals are missing one vital and important thing that the corporate world really takes objection too.

A Bar Code!

A Bar Code that makes a ka-ching sound every-time a supermarket scanner hits it.

The idea of people getting food and clothing from the wild for FREE is absolutely a NIGHTMARE for the Powers that Be.

Rule number one; never leave any money on the table!

So the Powers that Be spend a small fortune getting the baby carrot killers all riled up, who have excellent eyesight by the way from eating all the carrots who then butcher model’s pictures because they are too geeky to get a date with one!

It’s just another issue to divide and conquer, divide and conquer, divide and conquer.

Hail Caesar!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
What's wrong with killing seals?

Is there an animal hierarchy to killing for our use? Is it based on cuteness?

I hope everyone complaining about the seal hunting are vegans, otherwise you are a *singing voice* hypocrite!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's a well known fact, that if you don't hunt seals...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3036c7db280.jpg[/atsimg]

They will hunt YOU!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
ALRIGHT. Enough. This is slander, plain and simple. Non-negotiable.

Now, on to the subject of the seal hunt. I happen to be a Newfoundlander, and I wholeheartedly agree with the seal hunt. It's a cultural tradition. If Canadian protesters came to the US and told you to knock off the gun worship. You'd freak out. The same applies here. Learn why is is done, don't just spew propaganda. Nobody here has any buisness interfering with our culture, just as we let you live your, let us live ours.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join