It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims and swine dine!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Greetings ATS. Today I would like to talk about Muslims and the situations that should occur due to religious beliefs. As most people know, muslims and other groups dislike eating pigs because they are unclean and threaten the muslims way of life, but what would happen if a muslim was very lost in the desert but found a pig nearby. My question is if this pig was the only chance for the muslim to survive, would he/she consume the pig even if it was blasphemy, and if so would he/she tell other people of what occured and be forgiven or keep it a secret for fear of getting hanged, stoned etc? Id like to hear your opinion no matter what religion you are or athiest.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Obviously 'what if' questions, especially concerning what a third person we do not know would do, is difficult to answer.

Like all life or death scenarios where we find ourselves in dire situations, people can do things out of desperation they would not normally do. A person who is normally against theft in every day situations might resort to stealing if it meant feeding their starving children. I'm using that as a 'light' example because true stories have proven humans will sink much further to survive when push comes to shove.

It would depend on their resolve just like everyone else in a situation where their morals and beliefs were at odds with a survival situation.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
How similar are Muslim beliefs in this area to Jewish ones?

In WWII prison camps in Germany the Jewish prisoners were often taunted by camp officials, who would tell them there was pork in the soup they were given. Of course this made some Jews feel they mustn't eat it, despite being starving.

The advice Rabbis in the camps gave was that the Jewish religion not only forbade eating pork, it also forbade suicide, and suicide, as a form of murder, was a greater evil than not following dietary restrictions.

So it came down to choosing the lesser of two evils. By refusing to eat pork they would starve themselves to death, thus committing suicide. So in that case it was considered wrong to not eat what may have been pork.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Strange but a number of Muslims I know eat bacon Sandwiches, since it is quite taboo, they have told me it is one of their very naughty treats.. so not sure your situation would not have a few secretly enjoying the situation.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

It is a hypothetical questions and which can only have an hypothetical answer. So if you want to know truth become a Muslim with heart and learn what the religion teaches, then go out to middle of desert without any food supply, water supply but only with a pig/pork. Keep roaming until you get lost and then you when you are hungry you will have your answer.

No other way to answer your imaginary question.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The muslim would be allowed to eat the pig (If, my R.E. teacher is correct), also, if they are sick they can miss prayers. And if they are busy they can delay them.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Incendia vox

Yeah i think that’s correct... i once asked a Muslim friend that exact question and he said that the Koran allows the eating of pork in life and death situations.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply's guys. Most of you have recieved a star from me so keep the reply's rolling

Note: I would ask the terps what they would do but my unit forbids talking about religion to them so if it were me I would do it and still tell.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yeah, that was my understanding. That the muslim may eat the pig, because a muslims life trumps that of the sanctity of the pig.

What an odd yet specific question though, the thing that would be the deciding factor would be the muslims personal understanding and their personal beliefs. 99% of the time humans will choose their life over another species, but if the Muslims understanding was wrong and they believed theyd go to hell for it im sure some would not eat. To me it comes purely down to the individuals personal understanding of their own religious beliefs.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

What would you do if you were in that situation, please anwser the question, I have.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hey I'm a Jew, and I have to say; bacon and egg sandwiches with tomato ketchup are my kryptonite.... Every Saturday on a big freshly cooked bread roll.... Dont tell G-d!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
well i live in denmark and have been working in kitchens for most of my life, and worked with alot of muslims also, some of them do like to eat pork and some don't.
i asked a Muslim girl once what would happen if she ate the pork meatballs and she told me " my parents told me allah would rip out my eyes " she was one of the pork eating muslims i have known , and she loved it.

my guess to why the pig is a filthy animal in Muslims eyes have nothing to do with the rolling in mud , but has to do with that when the coran was written most pigs where ridden with the Trichinella parasite ( witch is almost non existent any more , in denmark atleast ) and getting that little bugger in your system could be lethal.

sorry for the bad engrish, its not my first language

edit to answer the question: im an atheist and would eat anything to survive( did try grasshoppers and they where delish
)

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Kalomar]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Thanks for the reply Selahobed. usually I would eat bacon here in iraq, but it just isnt the same as the bacon in the states so I guess im missing out.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Quick question for ya, how much internet do you get in Iraq? Are you a civilian or serving over there? Because i see you online alot and i am curious as to the internet access over there.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalomar

Thanks for the info. The terps here simply refuse to eat bacon and I can see why, but if that parasite thing happened very long ago why do they still fear the swine?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by Kalomar

Thanks for the info. The terps here simply refuse to eat bacon and I can see why, but if that parasite thing happened very long ago why do they still fear the swine?

Terps?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

LOL... i'm a Christian who gave up pork as a personal sacrifice... just my way of saying thanks.

Last week i was at a family buffet that seemed to consist mainly of pork... Sausage rolls, Ribs, meatballs, ham...

I won’t tell if you won’t tell

Mmmm...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
ops... pesky reply button...

sorry double post

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Well you see, the reason I am online more often then probably most of ATS is because my internet connection is so slow at times that it is a challenge to log back in so I leave it logged in even when on missions or sleeping. Sometimes when I get disconnected, ATS still has me logged in so im sorry if I appear online but do not reply. Oh and to answer your other question yes I am a militant aka soldier.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Awwww luv... I cant send you a bacon sandwich but CAN send you my best wishes... Keep your head down and come home safe hon x

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join