It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Konstantinopol, not Istambul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Western history rarely mentions Romeic Empire (or "Byzant" as you know it). Here is a video that talks about it, presenting a simple, yet amazing set of facts about the biggest, strongest empire that ever existed.

vizantia.info...

Please watch it, maybe twice, before you jump to conclusions. Did you know, for instance, that organs that we see in catholic churches were invented in the Great Romeic Empire (Byzant). The first University was there?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

You mean Constantinople.

Yeah I agree, but then again I am of Greek heritage ... the hole thing makes me angrier than an Upper Voltan in Burkina Faso.

Meh, the history is what it is, nomenclature is a part of it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's Istanbul not Constantinople.

And if you got a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
No, I mean Konstantinopol. And, judging by the reaction time, you haven't even bothered to watch the video.

Greek: Κωνσταντινούπολις, Kōnstantinoúpolis,

[edit on 6-1-2010 by herbivore]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Well you may spell it as you wish but in English it's spelled Constantinople.

And you are correct that I didn't watch the video, my bad on that front, though having to study the Byzantine Empire for several years in Greek school I'm quite confident with my knowledge and details of such.

Is it something specific that you wanted to say by posting this, or just a general overview of the rise and fall of the Byzantine Empire?

Folks might want to know before they download a 170 mb file or spend 70 minutes watching ... just saying.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well, there is a conspiracy of silence and wrong facts in all "historical" books regarding Romeic Empire. You may have been taught that this Empire was Greek, and it was not. They were Roman empire, the strongest in the history of the world (lasted a 1000 years). Please watch the video (I watched it several times, enjoying every time). Listen carefully, as every word has importance.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Well:

Greece, the English name for the Hellenic Republic, derives from an ancient Latin word for that area. "Hellenic" derives from the word ancient Greeks used to refer themselves, while "Romeic" comes from the medieval or Byzantine Greek term. Although Romeic was the most common self-designation early in the nineteenth century, it has declined in favor of Hellenic since that time.

The words "Greek," "Hellenic," and "Romeic" refer not only to the country but also to the majority ethnic group. Greek culture and identity reflect the shared history and common expectations of all members of the nation-state, but they also reflect an ethnic history and culture that predate the nation-state and extend to Greek people outside the country's borders. www.everyculture.com...

However, you have peaked my interest ... thus I will watch the video as soon as time and will permits.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
At 30' , the narrator talks about nationalism. I thought that was a great message to modern world.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
It's Istanbul not Constantinople.

And if you got a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaMod]

DUUUDE! Thank you so much!! I remember seeing that cartoon when I was a kid (maybe 10 years old). It was instantly my favorite song, but I didn't know what it was. I only saw it once.

I still have memories of that, every now and then. Now I got to see it again. THANKS

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yet, it is Konstaninopol, not Istambul...

Some songs are made as propaganda...sublime, yet efficient. I sing the famous song ALWAYS like this: "It's Konstantinopol, not Istambul", nobody's business but the Greeks!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ok we probably all agree, the western civilisation based our history books on their behave.

This is why i think a big part of the world today, still thinks the "dark ages "
happened worldwide.

Dumb asses ! As most of us are.

I've learned the Greek were first, Remus and Romulus, the founding fathers of Rome, where Greek or had Greek for fathers.
The Greek colonized Italy.
The Roman empire was born and kept growing. Until a few centuries AD The north and western part of the empire. Started to fade away. Do to corruption, war etc. De eastern part never stopped to exist until the Ottoman empire conkered Constantinople and renamed it Istanbull.

There are speculations which claim the bloodlines of Roman and later Byzantium ceasars migrated north. The Tsars of pre communist Russia would be of their origin.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think that empires, with sovereigns, are the best way to run a country...except for one, but critical weakness: inheritance. Since the power is concentrated in the hands of one person (or one family) chances of having equally strong emperor to inherit the successful one are slim. Also, since enemy are well aware where the power is, they can focus at looking for weaknesses and use corruption to impact the emperor.
Modern system, where the true rulers are unknown, has proven to be much more efficient in preserving the power in the hands of relatively small number of people.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Most of the Western people (and most of the all people of the world) probably do not even know that Crusaders, who fought "in the name of Christianity", actually destroyed the biggest pure Christian city in the history of the world. And, like the narrator of the documentary, I find it hard to blame West for the decline of Romeic Empire. Internal problems, related mostly to the problem of weak rulers, prepared the ground for the destruction of the empire.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Schroedingers dog, I think “Hellenic” refers to the worship of the Sun.
Etymology
The Greek masculine theonym Ἥλιος (Helios) is derived from the noun ἥλιος, "sun" in ancient Greek. The ancient Greek word derives from Proto-Indo-European *sóh₂wl̥. Cognate with Latin sol, Sanskrit surya, Germanic sunna, etc.. The feminine form of Helios is Helia.

Herbivore, I thought it was It's Konstantinopol, not Istambul", nobody's business but the Turks! Maybe I just didn’t hear it right.

Don’t have time for vid right now. Did they mention that Istanbul/Byzantium was also called “Rome”? That Rome, Italy did not appear till the 1400’s?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
OhZone, I am just singing it my way...original goes "Istambul, not Constantinople", and therefore..."nobody's business but the Turks". Somebody thought that was funny.

Then Israel should be "nobody's business but the Palestinians", and Native Americans should stop claiming North American rights. "It's nobody's business, but the WASP's". If you follow that logic...

[edit on 7-1-2010 by herbivore]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Helios: The sun
Hellene: Greek (person)
Hellenic: Greek (of Greek origins)
Hellas: Greece

The words Hellas and Helios have the same root. They both have the root "ελ" (el) which means light. However, they do not mean the same thing, and Hellenic does not mean "the worship of the sun" as you've mentioned. Hellenic comes from the roots of the words "el" meaning, light and the word "las" or "laos" meaning "the people". Therefore, the ancient and modern Greeks call themselves "The Enlightened People", while the rest of the world calls them Greeks. The reason that the rest of the world calls them Greek instead of Hellenes, is because the Greeks were a Hellenic nation of antiquity (other Hellenic nations include the Ionians, Mycenneans, Doric etc).

As far as Constantinople and Istambul are concerned, think about the following: Places have been changing names and owners all the time through history. Not of much importance. Do you think America, or Australia, or Canada or South Africa always had the names they do today? It's all part of western imperialism but hey, it happens.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I know that place names are always changing.
I hate it when they rename main streets.
Just think of the confusiion many years hence when most of our present day books have crumbled to dust or other calamaties befall our records and researchers trying to reconstruct History find all these names of European and mideastern cities, all over America. Thety won't know what happened where. Imagine the dabates over the meanings of our idioms.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Do you call New York New Amsterdam? Names change. It's no conspiracy unless you think the chance inherent in any length of time is a conspiracy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Don’t have time for vid right now. Did they mention that Istanbul/Byzantium was also called “Rome”? That Rome, Italy did not appear till the 1400’s?

I am not quite sure if you are trying to say that the nation of Italy was not created as an entity until the 1400's C.E., therefore Rome, Italy didn't exist until then.

But, if you are saying the metropolis called Rome did not exist until the 1400's C.E., that is completely incorrect. The traditional date for the founding of Rome (the city) is 21 April 753 B.C.E. Regardless if that is correct or just part of the Romulus/Remus mythos, the city has been there for more than 2500 years.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Byzantium is the original name of the city that is being called Constantinople and Istanbul by westerners. I am not sure of the correct spelling in Greek, but the pronunciations seem to be quite similar.

Byzantium was founded around 650 B.C.E. (not sure of the exact date) by Greek settlers. The Roman emperor Constantine I founded Constantinople on the exact site of the city of Byzantium. It was the capital of the WHOLE Roman empire for most of the 300's C.E. Then it became the capital of the Byzantine empire, which is a western academic convention used to seperate the Eastern Roman empire from the culturally distinct later ages.

The Byzantines were very advanced culturally, martially and religiously and were different from the previous Eastern Roman empire because of these things. The city of Constantinople held off the Islamic push into eastern and southern Europe for many(more that 700) years, until it finally fell to the Turks in 1453.

So, throughout the history of the settlement the names have officially changed 3 times...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join