It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever feel.....Watched?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hello All,

For as long as I've been driving, I've had this problem. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough that I get the willies just thinking about it. I've talked to a few friends who admit it happens to them as well, but thought I might get some answers here. I've looked online and could find nothing of consequence concerning this phenomenon (for lack of a better word).

It always occurs when I'm alone in my car, at night, usually driving in a fairly deserted area. Sometimes its in a city, with streetlights and buildings but little traffic, sometimes in a more rural setting.

I'll be driving down the road, singing to the radio, contemplating my navel, or composing wonderfully enlightening ATS threads in my mind when I'll suddenly get the overwhelming feeling that.....something.....is in the back seat of my car and watching me. Occassionally the feeling will be accompanied by a smell (either the smell of cigarettes, and I don't smoke, or a smell like something rotting). I get the sense that whatever it is, its very malevolent.

It's an absolutely horrible feeling. I break out in a sweat, my skin goes clammy, the hair on the back of my neck stands up, and I just feel terrified. I don't even want to glance in the rearview mirror for fear I'll see....it.

When this happens, I've tried lots of different things. I've made myself look in the mirror to see that nothing is ever there. I've pulled over on the side of the road and physically searched my car. I've turned on the radio, said prayers, chanted "You're not really there, blah blah," called friends on the cell phone, etc. Nothing seems to make the feeling go away once its there. Eventually the feeling does leave, but not in response to my actions.

It's not a panic attack. I do occassionaly have panic attacks, I know what they are like, and this is different. I'm able to function fine, can continue driving or talking on the phone, but just feel as if I have a big bullseye painted between my shoulder blades and something is watching.

Sometimes it happens when I'm by myself at home (or just up late and everyone else is in bed), but normally its in the car.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any ideas or suggestions?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
LMAO!

sorry but the thought of you driving down a country lane singing "Your not really here" is halariouse.

Ive never heard of this before but it sounds like your freaking yourself out.
If your used to being around loads of people in a busy enviroment its probably just a bit of a psychological shock to realize all is quiet and your alone.

Just a guess though maybe someones actually experienced this and can help you more.

Thanks for a laugh though

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I've had that feeling ever sense I have heard about people who have little min stand beside there bed and watch them at night. Little men that look like Greys.

That happens when I'm in my bed. For me it's just paranoia.

I don't know about yours though, it sounds like something more, especially with that scent.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
sort of, no smell but i have had the feeling and been freaked out to the point where i get out and check the back seat.

it has occurred to me that it might be, as algebra said, just a reaction to being alone but rationalising it doesn't seem to be any more effective at dispelling the feeling than any of the stuff you mentioned. checking the back seat isn't even very effective

too many horror movies with a psycho in the back seat.

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I'll be driving down the road contemplating my navel

seems fairly irresponsible, eye's on the road!!!

[edit on 4/1/10 by pieman]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Algebra

You're welcome. Glad to here you found it amusing.....even though I wasn't trying to be funny. Its just so good to know people laugh at me.

You should see me singing in the car while in teh middle of the day. I get all sorts of strange looks.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

LOL did'nt mean to sound like i was'nt taking you seriouse but it was amusing. I sing out loud a lot too even when im not in a car so i know all about the strange looks.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

it has occurred to me that it might be, as algebra said, just a reaction to being alone

This might be the case. However, I tend to be something of a loner by nature. So I usually enjoy being alone or by myself, normally I find it peaceful.

I've never heard about little men who come stare at you while you sleep. But thanks for image, I'm sure I'll be dreaming about it tonight

Anyway, glad to hear at least a couple of other people out there have experienced something relatively similar.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Are you sure it's not the money you could be saving with Geico?

I had a smell in my car that was freaking me out also. Turned out it was a container of milk my ex-wife had left under the car seat.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

seems fairly irresponsible, eye's on the road!!!

LOL! I love it! But actually, one can contemplate their navel using nothing but their mind.....really.

Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
OMG !!! Me too !!!

I always feel like somebody's watching me !!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You know, I started this thread because I was really curious to find out if anyone else experienced this watching feeling....

But now I'm thinking its evolved into a joke....which is great! Everytime I check back, I find something that makes me laugh.

It's really made my day. Really. Perhaps we should have more laughing threads on ATS....nice break from the scary stuff!

Thanks, everyone!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
i`ve had that feeling since i saw a psychic,who told me i had a younger brother that died before birth, that was watching over me.i went home told my mum what the psychic said and she told me of her miscarriage between me and my sister being born ,hardly anyone knew this info including me and my sister

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

LOL smyleegrl !!! Thanks for being a good sport !!! You set yourself up for that one and I just couldn't resist !!! S&F for you mademoiselle !!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think you have probably got to the point where you are half expecting it, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
It must be a horrible feeling. Also it could affect your concentration when driving.
I doubt that it is a malicious entity.
Whatever - it can't harm to get checked out, if only to rule out conditions like schizophrenia, which can cause you to see, hear, smell things that aren't there.
At the least you would hopefully get some advice on how to deal with it.
Good luck!

[edit on 4-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
All jokes aside, it could be that you have picked up a ghost hitchhiker... Maybe he needed a "ride" to some other locale... just a thought.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Has it happened to you in only one (your current) vehicle ? Or is it a problem you've encountered in more than one vehicle ? And when did it begin, can you remember ?

The obvious conclusion (to get it out of the way) could be simply that it's a side-effect of one of the many horror movies you may have watched (even if you were only half paying attention or even asleep in front of the tv ). Many movies and tv shows feature the 'malevolent entity' in or appearing in, the rear of a car. Same thing with taking a shower. You'll find posts here in ATS and elsewhere, testifying to people's nervousness when showering as result of seeing the movie Psycho decades ago, for example

On the other hand, you may have attracted something at some point in your life, with the something choosing the time when you are most vulnerable, alone and likely to be most creeped out, to make its presence felt

Have you owned your car since it was brand-new, or is it second-hand ? If the latter, you may have gained the 'presence' along with your car. If you suspect this is the case, there are a number of options open to you with regard to getting rid of that car. Or .. if for whatever reason you need to keep the car, you could consider 'cleansing' it or finding someone to do it for you. No different to having a house blessed or exorcised

It's not uncommon for inanimate objects (ocean liners, vehicles, furniture, even clothing) to be suspected of harbouring spirits

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I have that happen alot and its like all of a sudden you get the sense/feeling someone is there,,it happens quick,so I always immediatley look in the mirror,,expecting to see someone or thing,sometimes I look in my side mirror coz I think maybe I'll see something there,,I talk to whatever or whoever it is,,I always think its my dad or someone I know but then one night I had a bad feeling it was something evil and I had a thought I was gonna look in the mirror and see a horrible face,,,,make me crash and die,,,then thought,,,blimey this might be the cause of many accidents/deaths,,so that scared me more.

I feel alot of the times someone is watching me when Im in bed,,I think I wrote on here once that I thought one time it was me staring at me in bed,,,weird feeling that was.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yes,

I get it quite a lot when i'm in bed, I have to turn and face wherever I think i'm being watched from, I can rarely sleep facing a wall!

Also, I used to go to school quite a long way from my home and when I was walking home past a certain bit, I swear I used to hear another set of footsteps and have the 'being watched' feeling! it happened every day so I know it was'nt my imagination!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
ever since i can remember i felt like i was watched. but it was more like protected by an invisble guardian. when i was 3, my family left me standing alone at a tourist place looking at a model airplane, you know when you're driving to different states and they have those little tourist stops where you can look at some artifact but only like one other family is there? well, in this case, it was only my family. and since it was next to the busy road in the middle of a forest, after calling out for my family serveral times to no avail, i didn't know what to do. so i waited. i waited at a bench next to the airplane but i wasn't scared or worried even though i knew i should be because i could feel someone protecting me. some 10 minutes passed and i heard my mom shouting my name. when i saw my family i was happy but then started to cry because my mom wooped my butt xD

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies....whew. So glad to know I'm not the only one who has that feeling. Guess this means I won't be alone at the looney bin?!!

Maybe it is just my imagination. Heaven knows that's certainly big enough....and once I get creeped out by something, I STAY creeped out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join