It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This thread will surely convince you the year 2012 has great significance!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

It's their numberical system. The calendar we are discussing used a base 20 system. They had 20 of everything except 18 uinals. 18 uinals = 360 kin (days). This is the closest they got to a full year with their system. For the rest they used 20.
20 kin x 18 uinal x 20 tun x 20 katun x 20 baktun x 20 pictun x 20 calabtun x 20 kinchiltun = 1 alautun = exactly 23 040 000 000 kin

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by DGFenrir

That reminded me of something I wanted to say...lets consider this:

1 pictun = 20 baktun = 2,880,000 days = approx. 7885 years
1 calabtun = 20 pictun = 57,600,000 days = approx. 158,000 years
1 kinchiltun = 20 calabtun = 1,152,000,000 days = approx. 3 million years
1 alautun = 20 kinchiltun = 23,040,000,000 days = approx. 63 million years

It comes down to 20...but the question is...why did they make 1 pictun = 2,880,000 days? Because that's what leads us to 63My...it's still not an easily explainable coincidence IMO...

[edit on 5/1/10 by CHA0S]

It is extremely easy... I explained it already. A tun is a standard earth year (365 days) , and many different groups around the planet have been able to determind a standard year by counting the days and comparing the stars as they go by in our orbit.

The Mayans counted a year as 18 months equaling 20 days each or 360 days. The extra 5 days was a special short month used for ceremonies and didn’t count as part of the year, and so from here you just do the math…

20x360= 7200
20x 7200= 14400
20x14400= 288000

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The risks of believing that the Mayan calendar ends December 21, 2012!

I have posted this link several times and I have yet to hear anyone debunk what this guy has said. His website is thoroughly informative and interesting and Johan Calleman seems in my opinion to be one of the best researchers in the world on the Mayan Calender.

The risks of believing that the Mayan Calender ends December 21, 2012

Calleman Homepage

Kindest regards,
E.T

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by eclectic.thoughts
The risks of believing that the Mayan calendar ends December 21, 2012!

I have posted this link several times and I have yet to hear anyone debunk what this guy has said. His website is thoroughly informative and interesting and Johan Calleman seems in my opinion to be one of the best researchers in the world on the Mayan Calender.

The risks of believing that the Mayan Calender ends December 21, 2012

Calleman Homepage

Kindest regards,
E.T

Cool... we get to experience 28 Oct 2011 first. Not sure if something like "acceleration of time in the Galactic Underworld " makes any sense to me though.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

These threads remind me of Y2K

a NON EVENT

Shaun, stop being silly. Ask yourself WHY Y2K was a non event. That is because thousands of developers were pulled out of retirement (my uni lecturer being one) to correct the software.

With the software corrected ... Y2K became a non event. I do not need to spell out what would have happened if such systems had not been corrected.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Whilst 1 alautun = 63million years that doesn't mean that the final year of that 63 falls in 2012, does it?

This extinction prediction hypothesis would only make sense if 2012 is the final year of the alautun and that at the start of the alautun there was a mass extinction.

I hope that the mass extinction just covers flies. Flies really p!ss me off.

To add to this post, check out this graph on extinction intensity:

Extinction Intensity

Whilst there is a massive blip 65ish million years ago ... that does not continue in 64million year cycles.

Thoughts?

Edit:added graph

[edit on 5-1-2010 by george_gaz]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I am wondering how 62 million years "matches close enough" to 65 million years? Ummmm that is a 3 million year difference, that doesn't match close at all. So the 62 million year cycle is close to 65 million which is when the dinosaurs went extinct and that math works? Not for me! 3 millions years is 3 million years. And although compared to the galaxy and the stars and such 3 millions years is not a lot, to me it is still not close enough to consider it a pattern.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

reply to post by '___'omino

don't need a brilliantly insightful statement to know about this nonevent
2nd
3rd
2012 will be like 2011 and 2010

It must be nice to feel so ignorantly sure of your self...if the y2k prophecy (quite an ill founded prophecy) never came to pass, every future prophecy will never happen, and should just be ignored, no matter how much evidence is present?

[edit on 3/1/10 by CHA0S]

Here's a fact:

The world WILL come to an end!

Any fool can keep making statements like that and one day (especially a billion or so from now when the sun becomes a red giant) it will be 100% accurate within the lifetime of the soothsayer.

BUT, to keep reading about the end of the world based on writings by ancient peoples (I include the bible/revelations in this) it becomes a little tiring. Especially when we have already lived through a few........

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My belief is that the Mayans were controled by 'extraterrestrials'. They were the fallen angels that have always influenced civilization here on earth and continue to up until this day.

My guess is that the 2012 date was a guess by the Mayan 'gods' (fallen angels) at when armageddon would begin. IMO they didn't know the exact day and hour, but possibly did have a good idea of when the 'end times' would come about. When I look at current world events, it looks like they did have a good idea that this time period would be the end times.

It's also a strong possibility that in knowing that this was the age of the end, that these fallen angels decided to throw an exact date prediction into the mix as another attempt to thrown mankind off track. All kinds of possibilities with this, as we continue to see. If you believe in the God of the Bible, this goes directly against what he said, which is that nobody but him would know the day and the hour.

The greatest deception of all time and a last ditch attempt before the end? It all ties together.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by shasta9600

Thanks for that charming story. Now if only there was evidence suggesting any of that was true, people would have a reason to believe it.

Oh.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

reply to post by serbsta

Yes, there is a difference, the Mayan calender signifies a much more significant event when it reaches the end of it's 65My long count, rather than just a new year, and that is why the year 2012 does have significance. I never believed the calender totally stopped...

You never believed the calendar stopped (which it doesn't), so why make the above assumption in regards to the significance of the date? The same reasoning makes me reach a completely oppposite conclusion, that 2012 has no significance.

reply to post by serbsta

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that...they also talked of a few other cultures...and the article spoke of Nostradamus...I don't think it actually cited anything...

[edit on 5/1/10 by CHA0S]

In other words someone just made it up. Great, I was getting worried there. If the Hindu's and the Hopi's predicted 2012 then we were definitely in trouble.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eclectic.thoughts

The problem that I have with this is that Calleman still says that the Mayan Calendar has an end date.

But it doesn't.

As it says in the article:

But more authoritative sources such as Don Alejandro Oxlaj of the Council of Elders are not just jumping on the bandwagon ... he rejects the December 21, 2012 date as a miscalculation ... Unlike myself he however does not specify an end date ...

Just like the Gregorian calendar, it just clicks over to the start of a new calendar.

So, unlike Calleman suggests, the Mayan calendar does represent continuous time.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

So in essense the mayan, 2012 perdictions, cannot be scientifically proven, and its basically some so called cultist religious threat, to make money and fear.. Thats what it sounds like to me.

Lets face it, their are no scientists proving this.. At all..

Its just a bunch of people thinking they understand the reading of what some witch doctors that used to cut hearts out and eat them tell YOU, then when they think the end of the world is or whatever.. Wow, never thought I would let a canibal try to tell me when the end of the world was, since well he was a canibal, I am quite sure I have a much better education then him..

In all fairness, I have listened to some notable authors who i respect whole heartidly about 2012, and I respect them, deeply, but I am not to sure about this whole 2012 thing at all, and I respect these authors because they are authors and they write to make a living, and some of them have aquired my imagination before, but that all it is. Their is no proof, just great writing discussing the what if's.. 2012, needs to remain a what if thing.. Not a religious movement, denying the fact that their is no facts backing the actual date.. Seriously.. It will not be the end.. Besides we may not make it to 2012, anyhow..

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Horza

well it all depends on how you view "time"

imagine if time were too stop?

just something to think about

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Horza

***QUOTE*****

And this time period seems to match dangerous periods of impacts on Earth. According to the number and age of craters on Earth, we seem to suffer increased impacts every 36 million years. Uh oh, that's a match.

In fact, one of these high points of comet activity would have been 65 million years – the same time that an asteroid strike wiped out the dinosaurs.

And here's the bad news. According to their calculations, the Solar System will be passing through the galactic plane in the near future, and should see an increased risk of impact. Our risk of impact could increase 10-fold

====

look i get the whole "i'm mister informed man who's going to bring some rationality to a hopeless debate and i have links to prove it" mentalilty. the chances are that your eally intend to help.

but seriously, when the second link i click on states exactly, EXACTLY, EXACTLY, what the op is sayin that means you didn't even read it.

come on dude that's just retarded. your'e trying to tell usabout the chances being geometrially lowered due the the different ranges of dates and the friggin link says in plain english how it's 10 times worse.

the first link we a little too heavy for me to make heads or tails out of and i didn't read the rest. fyi.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

so there's 3 coincedences instead of 1? what are you trying to say? picking months and years to add up to a multiple of 60w/e million is the same as picking a common demoninator. how is that less amazing?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

For anyone who believes in creation/God/the bible, this whole thread is a waste of time. For creationists, everything was created by God about 6000 years ago. Which means that all of your "millions of years" talk is fantasy. By the way, science supports creation, its only suppressed much like some truths here on ATS. But here we are teaching our children evolution in our public schools. The brainwashing starts early.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moodle

so there's 3 coincedences instead of 1? what are you trying to say? picking months and years to add up to a multiple of 60w/e million is the same as picking a common demoninator. how is that less amazing?

My point is it isn't very amazing at all...

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
great info!

i'm glad you put most of this into layman's terms, because the information is very important!

i'll send this to others...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well, I read the thread, and all the provided inks.
I am still not convinced that the year 2012 has great significance.

I'm pretty confidant that it will be just another year. I could, of course, be mistaken in that. I guess we'll see in a couple years...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join