It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Earth Carvings Found in Amazon Jungle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

It is not the locals who are destroying the forests, outside companies are coming in to grow soya beans that are exported, it is only a short term fix, when the land is used up it takes years for the land to regenerate.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here's a link to an interesting recent article on the subject that can be downloaded and saved, in .pdf format:

antiquity.ac.uk...

Pre-Columbian geometric earthworks in the upper Pur´us: a complex society in western Amazonia

Martti P¨arssinen1, Denise Schaan2 & Alceu Ranzi3

It’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good. The combination of land cleared of its rainforest for grazing and satellite survey have revealed a sophisticated pre-Columbian monument-building society in the upper Amazon Basin on the east side of the Andes. This hitherto unknown people constructed earthworks of precise geometric plan connected by straight orthogonal roads. Introducing us to this new civilisation, the authors show that the ‘geoglyph culture’ stretches over a region more than 250km across, and exploits both the floodplains and the uplands. They also suggest that we have so far seen no more than a tenth of it.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thanks so much, amazing information and graphics, great find.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
are the pictures they are publishing doing them justice?

check out this one in googlemaps

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Parta

Very nice work, thanks.

Seems like a lot of hidden sites could be found using a straight edge and plotting average distance between sites, since the roads appear pretty straight for the most part.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
IMO it's the base to a pyramid. Could of been destroyed, or simply never built.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am not an expert in the area of botany or anything even close, but would like to offer my two cents.

I am all for finding out about the past, lost cultures and civilizations are a very interesting subject to me, and I like hamburgers as much as the next guy, however have we not learned anything from the destruction of other places that were used for farming instead of what they were before the arrival of modern human?

A while back I was watching a documentary on the Dust Bowl. The documentary talked how before the farmers got there and turned over the soil, it was fertile grass lands. For many years the lands gave for the great crops, then something happened, the weather patterns changed, I think it had to do with the changing of the jet stream if I remember correctly. The Crops Dried up and there was nothing to hold the soil down because the crops were not able to handle the drought conditions that came. When the winds blew, which were not, according to the documentary, any stronger than what they had gotten prior to the drought, the soil was picked up and thrown into the air causing the dust storms. Also according to the documentary, if the grasslands had not been plowed under, they would have been able to weather the drought and kept the soil in place.

Is it possible that this area could possibly turn into a desert with violent sand storms, such as what happened in the mid west of the United States during the dust bowl times, if we continue to deforest the rain forest?

I am not a tree hugger, but I see a fallacy in logic of cutting down forests and not re-growing what you use.

This was just my just my two cents.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

I am not a tree hugger, but I see a fallacy in logic of cutting down forests and not re-growing what you use.

There are some area's on earth that you can replant the trees, problem is in the Amazon and many parts of South America the rainforest's have been clear cut and crops planted that use up the land, the nutrients are gone and it's almost impossible to regrow trees.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

There are some area's on earth that you can replant the trees, problem is in the Amazon and many parts of South America the rainforest's have been clear cut and crops planted that use up the land, the nutrients are gone and it's almost impossible to regrow trees.

Which brings me to my point that if you are unable to replant what you use/cut down for whatever reason, then you should not use or cut it down. It does not matter the reason that you are unable to replant it, whether it won't regrow in the area or whatever.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Your point is well taken, but these countries are buying into what greedy corporations are offering them not realizing it is for the short term and they are left holding the bag when the soil is depleted.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Unfortunately these countries have just as corrupt leaders as every other country. They are in it for the money as much as the corporations. The only innocent parties are the average citizens of these countries and the generations to come that will be without the forests that have been cut down.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Since this thread was already here, I decided to revive it.
For those who are interested in geoglyphs here are more photos.
www.geoglifos.com.br...(69).htm
This is picutre 69 of a series. I haven't explored all of them. These are a little closer than satellite, as you can see the plane wing on some of them.
I was listening to Coast to Coast Sunday evening and George Knapp was interviewing David Grann, the author of "The Lost City of Z." It should be available. I thought it was facinating and looked up some references on it.
This is the home page for the above site www.geoglifos.com.br... I think it is Portugese?
Here is a Google Earth photo.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/316147cd4db0.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3/30/2010 by zachi]

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
adding to this thread too (some newbies do know how to use the search function, honest!)

www.bbc.co.uk...

the lost caves of the amazon on the bbc, dated 19th june, 2 days ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join