It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riots in Iran - CNN and Al Jazeera (english) Breaking News

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

IRANIAN state television says more than 15 people were killed in riots which rocked Tehran, of whom more than 10 were members of "anti-revolutionary terrorist" groups.
The other five who died during Sunday's fierce clashes in the Iranian capital were killed by "terrorist groups," the report said, without elaborating.

"In a suspicious act, five people were killed by terrorist groups and the ministry of intelligence announced that more than 10 of the known members of anti-revolutionary terrorist groups were killed," the state television website said.

I just love Irans willingness to show the US How the world see's it.

The above statements relesaed from Iranian state TV is a big slap to the US.. They arent taking a backwards step.

Between the lines, they are daring you to have a go.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I am almost certain that we will now see the Iranian people protesting in even larger numbers, and taking their fight right to the doors of their political leaders.
There will be increased violence, and the regime will have to meet it with military force.

Then, there's is a very high probability that a military figure will then take power. I also believe that person will have been backed by the US and UK all along.

I thought it would be interesting to repeat my words from yesterday...

Of course, we now see protests spreading, growing, people toppling the infrastructure of the regime, military factions forming...

There will be, today I would bet, a military attack against the larger protests.
The Iranian regime is now in the final throes of defence, and they will attack their people through desperation.

The fact is, the only way the dictatorship could have prevented this was by listening to the people several months ago. They have reached a point where their collapse is almost inevitable. The only way they could possibly retain some semblence of power would be to violently attack the people without restraint. So that's what they'll do.
It pobably won't work.

What do I hope will happen?
I hope that the Iranian Military faction that has announced their formation is preparing to defend their people from their own leaders as early as today. They will have to mobilize right now. If they don't, if they're not really ready, hundreds, perhaps thousands of protesters will die today as the regime makes its last effort to exert control.

Whatever happens today and in the following months, it should be noted that an attack by Israel against Iran right now cannot be justified in the international community.
If they think they had it bad for their slaughter in Gaza, they've seen nothing yet. If Israel moves a single Chess Piece in their war games against Iran, they will face an onslaught from the internation community the likes of which they have never seen. And by that I mean the PEOPLE, not the pathetic, weak and inefectual governments conveniently ignoring their vile genocide.

While the Iranian people are on the brink of overthrowing the regime, no other nation has any political authority or justification for starting any attack on that nation!
If the US or Israel tries to attack Iran right now, people all over the planet will attack them, through media, protests, riots, you name it. There would be absolutely no excuses for such an action.

Again, whether you think the CIA are involved in this or not (lets face facts here, why WOULDN'T they be?!) this is a people fighting for a better future and fighting against an oppressor.
Such a thing can only bring good for their nation, and for the people of the international community. Regardless of who gains power, removal of the existing regime is the priority. If another despot takes power, the people will be more inclined to act in the future because of this success.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Again, whether you think the CIA are involved in this or not (lets face facts here, why WOULDN'T they be?!) this is a people fighting for a better future and fighting against an oppressor.

This part is the part I find the most interesting, saying that the CIA is probably involved and it is for a good cause?
When has the CIA ever done anything for the betterment of another country?

somehow now the CIA have found a heart and soul and want what is best for Iran?

nothing happening here is for Irans benefit, it is for Isreal and the US's interests only, the Iranian people are just a good excuse.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Everybody is working against Iran and everybody is surprised why Iran has become so xenophobic!

The war of everyone against everyone (who said that?)...

The situation is quite normal. isn't it?

The safest you are, the other will feel more threatened...

All "political philosophy" comes to one end: destroy, destroy, destroy! Every citizen is an enemy unless he is properly submitted and disabled, disarmed and his movement and action restricted... taxed

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

This part is the part I find the most interesting, saying that the CIA is probably involved and it is for a good cause?
When has the CIA ever done anything for the betterment of another country?

somehow now the CIA have found a heart and soul and want what is best for Iran?

nothing happening here is for Irans benefit, it is for Isreal and the US's interests only, the Iranian people are just a good excuse.

That's not what I said.

I said that the CIA are probably involved. And I also said seperately that the people forcing change is a good thing.

I am not suggesting that the CIA are doing good, ever. I don't believe that for a moment.

All I'm sating is, the CIA are probably invovled for their own benefit, for the US and Israel maybe. That doesn't mean I appreciate that involvement at all.

But this is the PEOPLE fighting their leadership. Regardless of CIA involvement, the fact that the PEOPLE are doing this is what is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

who is it a good thing for?

Is it good for the minority who want change and are likely to usher in a war to topple a political leader like what happened to Suddam?

the Iranians had a free election and they got the result that the people in the majority wanted.

Why arn't people so vocal went we have tin pot dictators all over the globe doing worse attrocities than the Iranian goverment.

They are not a dactatorship, it was a free election, just because the majority voted to keep in power a party that still punish homosexuality does not make it a dictatorship,
the west may not like the result, but maybe the Iranians didn't like the Bush administration, I bet the Iraqi's didn't, but that didn't stop the slaughter of thousands of innocent civillians.

As I said, this rioting will only help 2 interested parties, and not one of them is Iran

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

But this is the PEOPLE fighting their leadership. Regardless of CIA involvement, the fact that the PEOPLE are doing this is what is a good thing.
That's the problem, how can we know that this is the people fighting their leadership?

It's too easy to fake a people's revolution, specially when we only have cell-phone images that show at most 20 or 30 people at a time.

Trust me, I witnessed a revolution and two attempts at counter revolution, and it's too easy to get carried away with what looks like a large movement, just to see some hours or days later that there is nobody left from the movement.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Everyone interested about the youth movement and the underground music scene in Iran where young Iranian musicians go to any lengths to defy censorship and restrictions to play their music - should see the movie:

"No one knows about Persian Cats"

Once in a while comes along a movie which transcends the medium's boundaries and sets new standards. Bahman Ghobadi's remarkable and riveting new film is one of these rare examples. Made in only 17 days and without a permit, "Persian Cats" is guerrilla film making at its best. It is a faux-documentary, in style of Kiarostami's Close-Up & Panahi's Offside, about the underground music scene in Iran. It is really about the universal power of music and the passion of the youth which know no boundaries. We see that Iranian musicians go to any lengths to defy censorship and restrictions to play their music. They do not need concert halls. They play anywhere: from metro stations to cow sheds and for anyone who wants to listen. Music and lyrics for the young Iranians has become a desperate, but at the same time powerful, means of expression and communication with the world at large. The music played in the film is very powerful and its range is quite remarkable. We see bands playing jazz, pop, heavy metal, rap and singing in both Farsi and English. Ghobadi's film manages to convey all the passion, energy, anger and hope that is contained in these music. It is a brave, and undoubtedly controversial film (specially with the the two leads seeking asylum in the west and Kiarostami denouncing the film), made with so much passion that the viewers can not remain unmoved. It is masterfully directed and photographed and brilliantly edited. A masterpiece which is certain to become another milestone in the history of Iranian and world cinema. Absolutely unmissable.

www.imdb.com...

These brave young people are the future of Iran, and they need our support!

The resistance in Iran has now spread from the students to all parts of the Iranian society in many parts of Iran, both rich and poor, women and religious people who together wants a new better Iran.

The country is now split!

To say here that this is only a minority who wants change is a lie, but many people are scared to lose their jobs and are afraid of protesting openly - but many are now supporting the opposition.

It has spread to other groups in the Iranian society because of the brutal rapes and killing of the Iranian people by the insane Governmental Basiji agents, and permitted by the dictatorship. Even many religious people are now disgusted with all the rapes and brutality against the young daughters of Iran.

Have other foreign countries and politicians a helping hand in all of this? could very well be, since we all know the history of the involvement of USA and Britain in the region and especially in Iran.

Heck! there have been US Governmental & corporated groups institutions working hardcore 24/7 for a regime change the last 20 years.

But!

There is also many people in Iran who are tired of the undemocratic dictatorship, and are now feeling that the revolution is on a wrong track - so they want change - and these feelings has grown in these last recent years.

Every man for himself I guess! but I support the brave people who are willing to die for this in the streets all over Iran.

So many people are taking the honor away from these people! but at the same time, many of those are the same people who are talking loudly about a revolutionary change in the US & Britain against their own corrupted Governments, but are sadly cowards and are afraid to protest, or die in the streets in their own countries themselves! - they are just Armchair Generals behind their keyboards!

Please don't take the honor away from people who are now dying in the streets!

Some of them are a new brave young generation who are hell bent for a change - revolutions are often born from student movements and students, and is later spreading to other parts of the society.

I think these people are very brave to say "up yours" to their totalitarian & oppressing dictatorship! - I honor all of them for their courage!

They all know they will be hunted down by their Gestapo forces, but are still fighting the good fight, they know they could die for this - kudos to all of them! - I hail their honor & bravery!

Some music from the Iranian "Underground Musical Scene"

[edit on 28-12-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Here is an interesting perspective I'll let it speak for itself.

On the Ropes

Iranian.com

The military regime in Tehran is in its final days. The signs of an imminent collapse, perfectly traceable on the Iranian streets, are evading the most prominent Washington experts. The slogans on the walls, the nighttime chorus of Allah-o-akbar on the rooftops, the crowds chanting "death to the dictator," all signaling a collective defiance despite the brutal backlash, and all reflecting a mass mobilization unseen since the 1979 revolution.

The recurring cycles of peaceful protests and state violence is part of a larger transformation sweeping through Iran.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Iran Ayatollah: 'I Am Convinced that the Regime Will Collapse'

Iranian Regime Critic Ayatollah Kadivar on the Future of the Opposition Movement

In a SPIEGEL interview, Iranian Ayatollah Mohsen Kadivar, currently a visiting research professor at America's Duke University, discusses the recent death of opposition leader Hossein Ali Montazeri, the frustrations Iranians have with their regime, the future of the green movement and the prospect of an escalation.

SPIEGEL: Ayatollah Kadivar, what did Hossein Ali Montazeri mean to you, and what role did he play for the Iranian people?

Kadivar: He was my teacher, my spiritual guide, my father -- the most important person in my life. I studied as a young man under him when he was the Revolutionary Leader's deputy. I admired the way he fought along side Khomeini, but then also for his candid criticism of him. I cried when Khomeini repudiated him. For Iran, Grand Ayatollah Montazeri was a true beacon of light and, in the end, a spiritual leader for the green opposition.

SPIEGEL: The authorities prevented independent media coverage of his funeral. People spoke of a provocation and rioting. What really happened last Monday in Qom?

Kadivar: My relatives were part of the funeral procession, which included hundreds of thousands of people, including a nephew of Khomeini's. From them I know that the Basij militias attempted to provoke peaceful mourners to commit violence. They didn't do them this favor. But they did shout out slogans that had never been heard before in Qom, Iran's most conservative city: "Death to the dictator! Our leader is our shame!" On that day, the people were particularly angry at supreme religious leader Ali Khamenei.

SPIEGEL: Why?

Kadivar: Khamenei said in his message of mourning that Montazeri had failed at a crucial point in his life. Everyone knew that he meant Montazeri's confrontation with Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic. Khamenei did not speak in the "I" form, but rather in the "we" form, as if he were the voice of Allah on forgiving Montazeri's mistake in the hereafter. That upset people. After all, the mourners said, only God can decide who failed and at which turning point in the Islamic Republic. Khamenei is not God.

Ayatollah Kadivar: Montazeri's Death Will Embolden Opposition

SPIEGEL: Montazeri succeeded in recent months in uniting the religious and secular wings of the opposition. Has his death weakened the dissident movement?

Kadivar: The exact opposite is true. The mourning will actually strengthen the opposition's determination. The Shiite Ashura, which is symbolically about justice, will provide a further boost for the protest. The authorities are not able to ban this ceremony, which coincides with the seventh day after Montazeri's death.

SPIEGEL: Do you expect a further escalation of state repression? Will the government dare to arrest the opposition politicians Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mahdi Karroubi?

Kadivar: You cannot rule out the possibility; at the same time, the rulers also fear any kind of escalation -- and rightly so. The next level could be open rebellion. But things have not gotten that far yet. There is still a chance for a peaceful reform of the state.

SPIEGEL: Really? You don't think that Iran has already long been on the path to becoming a religiously tinged military dictatorship?

Kadivar: You are right that the Shiite theocracy in its present form has failed -- a fact that few have expressed as clearly as my teacher in the last few months. Incidentally, when Grand Ayatollah Montazeri had his falling out with Khomeini, three months before the supreme religious leader's death in 1989, he said: This state is so different from the one we dreamed of and worked to create. Still, it is not Islam which has failed, but rather a particular interpretation of Islam. I also want to express that there hasn't been a revolution in Iran yet. The opposition is becoming increasingly clear in the formulation of its objectives and more daring. Still, we need to remain patient. I do not know when, exactly, but I am convinced that the regime will collapse.

Spiegel interview with Ayatollah Kadivar from ABC

Well it's hopefully more clear now that the insane brutal dictatorship regime in Iran could soon be over in this form? or that maybe some reform comprimises take place?

In a worst case scenario, we'll maybe see some sort of Iranian civil War - the country is now shoving signs to be more or less splitted into two parts.

All we can hope for now, is that most of he regular Army, Airforce, Navy & police will side with the people & opposition against the corrupted core of Basiji and Republican Guard forces of the dictatorship.

The revolt against the dictatorship is now also showing signs of spreading into smaller rural towns and provinces for the first time, and many Iranian people are waking up! and they are too furious and don't fear the security forces as earlier this summer (intimidation & brutality of the regime doesn't work so well anymore) - so the dictatorship is basically starting to lose the complete (fear factor) control of the situation. But this process could also take some time to gain some more momentum for the opposition.

Hopefully this could be a true "Alea iacta est" - Rubicon moment!

The people are now openly saying to the oppressors; we will kill you, if you still continue to kill our brothers and rape our sisters.

Even the religious people are beginning to show some signs that they doesn't like all the rape of Iranian girls by the Basiji militia, and the vicious brutality and violence from the dictatorship any longer! - the chanting for the dictators death from the roof-tops at night time is also a nice sign, just like 1979.

People are basically saying openly; UP YOURS!! to the dictatorship!

Now it's hopefully only a matter of time! - the history could hopefully repeat itself just like in 1979.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

I'm not saying you are 100% wrong but also remember that if people are caught tweeting stuff like that in Iran they will never be seen again. Many peolpe will select another location like the US but be tweeting out of another place like Iran.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Why is the United States supporting Mir Hossein Mousavi over Ahmadinejad?

Indeed, Mousavi, Prime Minister from 1981 to 1989, almost certainly had a hand in the planning of the Iranian-backed truck-bombing attacks on the U.S. embassy in April 1983 and the Marine barracks in October of that same year.

Source: Time Magazine Article Titled "Don't forget Mousavi's Bloody Past"

The U.S. supporting Mousavi is like the U.S. supporting Osama bin Laden. Both of whom are blamed for orchestrating terror attacks against U.S. interests.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by Studious]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

You write has if you have more information about this than you post.

Do you have any concrete evidence of what you say or that is just what you feel is happening in Iran?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
All power to these Brave People.

Cos without a real change in Government in Iran it's a race to see who bombs the place back to the stone age first - the Israelies or the Americans (is there any difference I ask??!!).

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

The best way for America to take the oil in Iran, is to get Iran to destroy its international credibility and for anarchy to run a mock. Then World War III will break out as America, China and Russia fight over the ownership of the oil in Iran.

I can assure you that yes, while you are correct about China getting their oil from Iran, they would not fight in a third world war over it. The Chinese is the only civilization to make Communism ALMOST perfect. I'm not going to get into why almost right now. Right now China is going through a Booming economy that looks to only keep growing with no end near sight (even though the news says differently, again, not going into it), the Chinese will not get into a swinging dick fight over oil. There are other resources for them and they know it. China knows going to war with the United States is a lose/lose scenario even if you run it out 1000 different ways. They will not jeopardize how far they have come since Mao Zedong came into power in in 1945 vowing to create a new China. FYI I am not saying I agree with the last sentence or even that Communism almost works in China, just telling it how it is. You can take to heart they feel that way. Now Russia is just too unpredictable. Now that they are also doing much better economically then they were when the Cold War ended, depending on how the attack/invasion of Iran goes down, they might feel its necessary to again flex their muscle and tell the USA that they are no longer the only superpower; once again its time to be fought over or shared. On the other hand though, I can pretty much assure that the USA already knows this. When the Russians started up again their DAILY bomb run routes just for practice that pretty much gave it away. It gave it away because that was a sign that the Russian leadership/Putin knows that they now have the money to spend on their military again.

When we attack and invade Iran, it will be of essence for us to be as understanding to the Russian stand on it as we can. If all they are worried about is oil, then we need to make sure once the job is done in Iran they get a share of the oil as well.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by Imightknow]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Chevalerous

You write has if you have more information about this than you post.

Do you have any concrete evidence of what you say or that is just what you feel is happening in Iran?

Thanks in advance.

No! it's more my take on the situation!, no concrete evidence.

It's hard to find concrete evidences during these circumstances and ongoing developments to verify information.

During the election riots in june we got briefings from friends in Iran - until they got a little scared and are staying away from electronic communications for obvious reasons.

The Persian people I know, and friends have difficulties to get through and get in contact with eachother & their families in Iran, and I think most of the sensitive text-material and photo memory cards are smuggled out from Iran through Turkey and other borders.

So to answer your question; I guess that most must be labled more as my opinion & "feeling" for the moment - and that we'll have to wait and see?

But concrete evidence, nope! sorry! just parts and bits of information and my take on what is happening. Sorry if my writing mislead you to believe otherwise?.

And as everyone else's speculations here regarding these recent developments in Iran, I do my own analysis and are filling in the blanks with old fashioned speculation based on my own knowledge & experience and "gut feeling"

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
A thought crossed my mind. What are the chances that during the last few moments of the dictatorship the Revolutionary Guards are ordered to attack Israeli and US forces. They are the ones in command of Iran's missiles.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
A thought crossed my mind. What are the chances that during the last few moments of the dictatorship the Revolutionary Guards are ordered to attack Israeli and US forces. They are the ones in command of Iran's missiles.

I guess the last few moments of the dictatorship has not yet arrived. Sure there is a lot of protests and the media censorship is very tight, but I think the protests has fizzled out on Monday as compared to the flurry of activities that we saw on Sunday. Ahmadinejad will be in a serious trouble if all the major cities of Iran, and not just Tehran, flares up into open rebellion against the Regime. Ahmadinejad would try to do a Tienanmen square on the protesters first and if even that doesn't work out ,then he might go for Israeli and American forces as a parting shot.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by order in chaos

Yea I agree with you, but doing a Tienanmen can be difficult, because i heard reports on twitter the army may side with the protesters. In fact one tweet said the army was preparing and was on the protesters side.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
December 27th Ashoora

Revolt against the Dictatorship in the cities of: Tehran, Tabriz, Isfahan, Najafabad and Shiraz

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb7c27058949.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4dbfc0da2b9.jpg[/atsimg]

Iran 27 Dec 09 Tehran Freeing protestors from basijis

Iran 27 Dec Protestors chanting you are Neda

One captured Basiji and his gear and cloth burning

Iran 27 Dec 09 Tehran people capturing a basiji

Lady badly beaten by Basiji scum

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Chevalerous]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join