It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Slaps $15,000 Annual Fee on Middle Class Families

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I know, I posted earlier in the thread about Reid's changing the rules of Congress in a healthcare bill.

It's unlawful, unconstitutional, and will be challenged in court the instant it passes, *IF it passes.

There are Democrats jumping ship left and right now, and several in the news stating they have been threatened and silenced by the WH. Yes, I said Dems.

It is starting to unravel now, lets just hope the cat takes the thread out to the barn before the door closes.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
So does someone want to explain what the incentive is to try to make anything of yourself in this country? Seems to me to get a #ty entry level job, you've got to take on massive college loans. Then if you reach a certain income bracket you've got to pay all these massive amounts of taxes (I think it's 35% of your income now not counting state taxes?) and now if you're trying to make they hit you these mandatory health insurance costs.

What country am I living in? This isn't the America I was raised to believe in.

I'm glad you've come around to my way of Thinkin'.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by Libertygal

Originally posted by ReelView

Impeach Obama today!

Now that is some change I can believe in.

REVOLT! IMPEACH!
Throw those 500 plus out on their Arse and start fresh. Clean the slate.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
There's a huge jump in the cost of insurance for the single wage earners making $8 (154% of poverty level) or more an hour, no employer coverage.

Based on the documents referenced in the OP, this is the "Silver Plan" second to the lowest cost. I divided the annual figures by 2080 hours to arrive at the hourly rates:

The wage earner making $7.00 per hour (134% of poverty level) will pay approx $18 per month with 94% of the cost of $300 subsidized.

The wage earner making $9.90 per hour will pay $276 per month with 77% of the cost of $1200 subsidized.

It gets even worse at $12.74 per hour. Now you have to shell out $760 per month. That's about 42 percent of your monthly net! The policy cost at this point is $2000.00!!!

With a few calculations you can see that you made an additional $2.84 per hour to go from $9.90 to $12.74. That works out to an additional $454.00 before tax per month additional income. But your insurance now costs you an additional $484.00 per month!

So it seems like going from $7.00 to $12.74 per hour nets you about $769 extra per month (after taxes), then you pay $760 per month for insurance.
5 dollar per hour raise and you see nothing!

This bill is insane. If more people did the math, more people would be miffed.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by OrganizedChaos]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Is not going to lower anything, all the bill is going to have is that no private insurance will deny coverage for pre existing conditions, the bill will increase cost on premiums by a 13% and the only people that will be gouged out of it is those that work and pay taxes.

And on top of everything else, the "no denying coverage for pre-existing conditions" won't go into effect until 2014 (At least on the last version i saw). The Dems forget to mention that bit of info every time they trumpet that in their press conferences.

Why didn't they just do a Medicaide/Medicare buy in for everyone that needs it? Or have the states provide to those who need it and have Federal subsidies to cover them so it wouldn't kill their budgets, like California for example. There has to be a better way. I'm all for affordable healthcare, but let's do it right the first time. Don't do it half-assed just to say we passed some legislation.

This legislation is nothing but garbage. Crap in, crap out.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Oh, come on. It's not like someone who is making 90k a year will be hurting. Boo hoo, sell one of your SUVs.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by MahNameABorat]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by x2Strongx

Obamacare Slaps $15,000 Annual Fee on Middle Class Families

townha ll.com

The Congressional Budget Office's analysis of the final Senate health care bill indicates it would slap a mandatory annual fee of about $15,000 on middle-class families that earn an annual income greater than 400 percent of the federal poverty level ($88,200 for a family of four) and are not provided with health insurance by their employer.

On Dec. 19, the CBO sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., analyzing the fiscal impact of the bill the Senate is poised to vote on before Christmas.

The CBO analysis cites five basic facts about the bill that acting together would deal a devastating financial blow to many middle-class families if the bill is enacted and enforced as written.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/23/2009 by x2Strongx]

This whole thing is pretty untrue and a scare tactic for the suckers here on ATS... and their right-wing puppet-masters...

I swear, most of the time this place is just one big right-wing echo-chamber:

www.politifact.com...

For instance:

For comparison, the average family policy in 2009 for someone who gets insurance through work is $13,375, according to an analysis from the independent Kaiser Family Foundation. The employer typically pays $9,860 of the policy, while the worker pays the remaining $3,515.

People on the exchange will have to pay for the policies on their own, unless they qualify for tax credits to help them buy coverage. The tax credits are on a sliding scale; the House bill says that people who make up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level will qualify for credits. This year, 400 percent of the federal poverty level means $88,200 for a family of four and $43,320 for a single person.

Palin said that under the House health care bill, the government "will have to penalize citizens if we choose not to buy a plan that will cost a minimum of about $15,000 per family per year." She's correct that they will be penalized if they don't have insurance. But her statement is misleading in two ways. For many who have health insurance through work, they won't have to pay $15,000 for the family plan because their employer will pay a lot of that. (The average employer would pay about three-fourths, if the current ratio continues.) For people of modest means, the government will give them a tax credit, so it won't cost them the full $15,000, either. The people who will have to pay the full amount will be people who have access to no other insurance and make more than 400 percent of the poverty level. Palin's statement implies that everyone will be forced to buy a family plan that costs them $15,000. In fact, only a small percentage of people would be forced to pay that full amount. So we rate her statement Barely True.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by seethelight]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Why I wonder do all those that think this is a bad idea get labeled 'right wingers'?
Are right wingers the only people that bother to read the bills and do the math? Maybe right wingers are just smarter than everybody else?

Seems odd to me that there is actually anybody left that hasn't figured out there is no real difference between right and left in politics ....

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Why I wonder do all those that think this is a bad idea get labeled 'right wingers'?
Are right wingers the only people that bother to read the bills and do the math? Maybe right wingers are just smarter than everybody else?

Seems odd to me that there is actually anybody left that hasn't figured out there is no real difference between right and left in politics ....

There's huge difference between indiviuals who are right and left, but unfortunately the politicians are all pieces of #.

That being said, if you righties could actually do the math you woulda sussed out that this isn't a huge tax on the middle class, but instead, potentially, a small increase for the wealthy and insurance for millions without.

To the loonies who think they would have to choose between food and healthcare I say read the bill cause that's not gonna happen.

To people that say they'd rather have no healthcare, I'd say, right-wingers, these are the people to attack.

These are the folks running to the emergency room and driving up your cost; in other words, it's a stealth tax... an unregulated one at that.

The main reason this bill sucks is because Dems are scared to be labelled Liberal and so they gutted most of the provisions that would've actually driven costs significantly DOWN.

So instead we get well intentioned MUSH.

It's a kinda middling start, to be sure, but it's NOT a 15,000 extra tax bill as most of you seem to pretend to think.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Let him do whatever his little heart thinks he should do. However, come election day we will see who slaps who, and gets defeated so bad it will be an embarrsment for not only him but everyone in his administration. He has a place reserved right next to his other Democrate pres, Mr. Carter on the wall of "PHAIL" "EPIC PHAIL" presidents.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by seethelight

Well I don't assume anything about the cost yet, bill hasn't passed. But forcing people to buy something is unconstitutional. Including a rule that restricts futre congress from modifying or repealing bill is unconstitutional.
The dozens of taxes will cost everyone, figuring out how much is sheer guesswork but you can bet it will cost.
The bend over for big pharma will keep drug prices up.
A lot of smaller business will no longer pay part of healthcare ... so a lot of people will pay more now that they have to buy their own ...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Looks like it passed the Senate...

WASHINGTON -- The Senate passed a health insurance overhaul on Thursday morning, 60-39, as both Democrats and Republicans held unified in their positions on the massive bill that mandates coverage for about 9 percent of the U.S. population. All 58 Democrats and two independents supported the $871 billion, 10-year package that aims to cover about 30 million Americans. Thirty-nine of 40 Republicans rejected the bill. Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning, who is retiring this year, did not vote.
Source: Fox News

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ya'll should have started complaining when they mandated seat belt laws...

it's a slippery slope and principle is the only foothold.

Stand on principle or die in pain

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by zz0409

You couldn't afford $350 a month for health insurance??????????
I find that hard to believe.

One of the problems with our country is Americans don't put their health first. I'd love to hear people that complain about how expensive is give up their Ipods, fancy computers, cell phones, and all the other stuff MOST of us don't need.

Yo doofus. We spend money on food and shelter. Rent + food for me = $950 a month. How MUCH MORE SHOULD I SPEND ON MY HEALTH?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

To tell you the truth if the "Congressional budget admit that premiums will increase then you bet your hart that they will"

We already know how our government works, bailout for the wealthy, even when supposedly they will be gouged to pay for the health care, trust me the rich always find a way out of taxes the middle classes do not.

Still we are living on stimulus and deficits to even run the nation, wars and federal budgets thanks to the generosity of our friends the Chinese, when the government said this bill will not increase the federal budget they are lying, Obama is lying and guess who is to pay for the burden of that debt, the tax payers that still have a job in the nation.

We can not longer believe and trust our government because its credibility rating is none existent.

what we need to fight is the constitutionality of forced commerce on free citizens that is nothing but another bailout for corporate America specially the corrupted insurance businesses

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Actually the main purpose of the legislation been pay for by big Insurance companies at our expenses is to have a mandate that will ensure a life term insurance to bail them out from any future profit loses.

This is the main issue that most people fail to see, insurance careless if you can pay or not, what they want is to force you by mandate or jail and penalties to have the government making sure that they will get their fair share of profits at the expenses of tax payer, with government back up.

Public option is not in the best interest of the Insurance companies, still if is a public option no only the middle class will pay for those that can not pay but they will have the burden of forced insurance to worry about too, just like forced programs like SS and Medicare.

Is not choice because they are mandated by the government.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Sorry to burst your bubble, my mother and father are seniors on Medicare, my mother and father still have to pay for Medicare out of their SS check, thanks to Bush passing the deal that he had with big pharma behind closed doors.

Yes my mother due to health problems with hart disease have an additional private insurance pay by my sister to cover what Medicare can not and for the expensive drug she uses, my father uses his vet benefits because he has prostate cancer and his medicines are also very expensive.

So much for how good seniors have it.

Medicare is only free for illegals and death beats and we the tax payer pay for it because not body can be denied care.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

let no forget all the taxes that will be imposed to pay for this private insurance take over with government blessing, I think the Federal government think that gouging the working class in the nation is going to fix the problem of a nation burden with illegal immigrants and unemployed on top of the welfare class.

they want to start taxing us even before the bill comes into effect that tells you how financially stable the Federal government is.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

There are Democrats jumping ship left and right now, and several in the news stating they have been threatened and silenced by the WH. Yes, I said Dems.

Don't believe it. This is just their shell game. They voted for it, now they start the lieing game to try an save their jobs. Hope no one believes them.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

I know I seen the jumping too, also somethings the media is hiding, many congress people are coming out loud to call the reform unconstitutional and corrupted but you don't see them on TV all day like you get to see Tiger woods scandal.

Still the whole health care reform will be dragged closed to mid term elections were we all know that democrats will lose their hold in congress.

But then again we will just get two choices anyway dumb VS dumber.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join