It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Slaps $15,000 Annual Fee on Middle Class Families

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Obamacare Slaps $15,000 Annual Fee on Middle Class Families

townha ll.com

The Congressional Budget Office's analysis of the final Senate health care bill indicates it would slap a mandatory annual fee of about $15,000 on middle-class families that earn an annual income greater than 400 percent of the federal poverty level ($88,200 for a family of four) and are not provided with health insurance by their employer.

On Dec. 19, the CBO sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., analyzing the fiscal impact of the bill the Senate is poised to vote on before Christmas.

The CBO analysis cites five basic facts about the bill that acting together would deal a devastating financial blow to many middle-class families if the bill is enacted and enforced as written.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/23/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Wasn't sure where to put this... but this is definitely distressing. As if we aren't suffering enough yet... now this!

What do you think this will do to families such as being consumers or even buying a house. MHO... this will be the final straw.

I'm kind of lost for words on this one. The beginning of the end... Maybe?!?!

townha ll.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Sadly this is just another way for the Government to Tax and Control by muscling into one of the most financially lucrative areas of the economy.

The ironic thing is that pooled resources like Insurance whether it is government or private really just drive up costs by creating a means for people to receive exorbitantly priced and costly treatments through an extortion racket instead of the purveyors of those treatments having to keep costs in line with individual peoples actual budgets.

The Government will win big, big medicine, and big pharmaceuticals will win big, insurance companies will win big, and as usual the people will be exploited and taxed excessively for this to happen and in the end receive even less service in the process.

It should be more aptly named “Obama Doesn’t Care” for if he did he would use his Presidential Veto to strike down this monstrosity and banish it to File 13, or at the least send it back to the drawing board.

This is still a ways from passing, the combined House and Senate version still has to be authored and ironed out and voted on, and hopefully the people will react just as publicly as they did over the summer during that process and give the politicians in Washington pause for thought with the midterm elections then less than a year away.

Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Oh hail our great comrade leader OBAMA! OUR SAVIOR OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! who can wash away the years of republican rule!

LOL! Seriously, what do people who vote dem think?

Ever notice how people with "vote obama" stickers are driving fancy cars and living the high life? Ever notice that people with republican stickers tend to be salt of the earth type people aka middle-class?

Seriously people need to read Karl Marx and his two class system philosphy very closely.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have military insurance now. My husband joined Army party because of economic stress. But, before we were military, we owned a small business and both worked part time jobs. I didn't have heath insurance for close to 10 years. We checked into it a few times and couldn't afford it and couldn't justify the cost for us. It was around $350 a month. We are both very healthy in our 30s - no prior problems - non smoker/drinker. If we had sprain or any health problems we paid outta pocket for doctor visits ($60-100). Trip to emergency room around $300. So we spent alot less just paying for services as needed. I know that we could've had a serious accident or heart attack and we would've been in big trouble. But -- we couldn't afford it. We had auto insurance and paid taxes. It would've really put a hardship on us to pay for health insurance.

I know there a many people in the same situation as we were. It seems ridiculous to force people to pay for insurance when they can't. People are still loosing jobs... and taking part time jobs to get by - that don't provide insurance.

It is more important to put food on the table than be forced to pay for services you may not even use.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Since congresscritters are so hot to give all of us poor people health care, why don't they just give all of us the same medical benefits they enjoy at the same cost that they pay for it. It only seems fair to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by x2Strongx
What do you think this will do to families such as being consumers or even buying a house. MHO... this will be the final straw.

Well, for one, this will boil down to two things.
1. Your employer will have to provide insurance, at a higher cost now.
2. If you make middle-class wages, you will be taxed higher. (to death)

So, you employer wont provide coverage because of its higher premiums, that trickles down to the employee who can't afford them anyways, which makes a decision between getting gov't insurance, or paying a fine.

What a great plan!
Does anyone see the destruction of the middle-class?
Or is it just me...

Read my previous thread about the last step...
The Last Step in Destroying America

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is just the start,wait until they have had a week or two see what's really in it.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think I will finally place my home and autos in LLC holding companies. Then I will withdraw all funds from my bank accounts. After that I think I might just become another government statistic. No job, no money. Live off of whatever assistance I can get and go to work in the black market/underground economy. It is going to get too expensive to live legal.

I have always supported myself and family in ways that were open. I paid my taxes to a government, that while I did not always agree with, I supported. I think this may soon come to a screeching halt.

For those detractors that say living off the grid can't be done, I say it can you just can't disappear as easily as you could. Money can be made, and life can be enjoyed, if you learn to work the system.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I just heard on CSPAN they are going to vote on this thing tomorrow.

Still want to know how it's supposed to help me.

Cutting my tax-free savings account helps the fed, not me. Banning drug imports helps big pharma, not me. Throwing me in jail or fining me if my insurance lapses doesnt help anyone. Forcing me to buy insurance helps the insurance companies, not me.

Nearest I can figure is it isnt helping me at all. Just moves more of what little I have into the hands of government and companies that wouldnt necessarily get my business if it werent being mandated I buy from them by the government.

C'mon, proponents, how is this helping me? How is this helping anyone?

I hear there is some provision stating you cant be dropped because youre sick. Well, that's all good and nice but it doesnt take 2,000 pages to say that, does it?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This bill is the biggest scam against the middle class in the country.

1- First the congress we have right now wants to ram this bill up the people' butt during this holidays when people are too busy to even care.

This crocks we call congress with their heads so up the butts of big pharma and private insurance are giving away American citizens rights with this unconstitutional bill on a silver platter.

The bill will significantly increase federal healthcare spending - by about $185 billion in 2019, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). It will involve a substantial increase in taxes - by about $100 billion in 2019. It will compel everyone to buy healthcare, even the young and healthy, which ought to reduce costs.

They don't give a crap that they are about to gouge the consumers as long as they get their whoring pay for.

Increased premiums for individuals and small business by an average of 10% to 13% in 2016.

In a nation that is in a severe depression.

The middle class will be squeezed as usual like they do for Medicare and Medicaid and the winners are the fact crocks in big insurance companies.

The entire deal is going to turn into a fiasco and I hope just hope that people will get up and get stand to save their constitutional rights.

moneymorning.com...

The America congress have no right to impose commerce on citizens by force in favor of private entities in this nation

This needs to be challenge and taken to the supreme court.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow?

So, upper class families will have to pay what.. like 200k a year?

What is this crackhead business they are running through congress?

This is nuts, right?

How much do familys of four pay per year on average for health insurance (not gained through employment)?

I'm all for government doing what they can to help people attain affordable health insurance, but I still expect the freedom to not have insurance if I chose. And to not pay for someone else's insurance. I'm a healthy 22 year old and while I do have insurance through work, when I leave this job I will opt to not have insurance.

Screw Obama

[edit on 23-12-2009 by nine0099thousand]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Actually the middle class in the nation is the ones that pays for the highest premiums of helath insurance in the nation.

How it works?

There are three cross-subsidies in the U.S. healthcare system, which greatly increase its cost. Cross-subsidies increase costs because when Party A makes Party B provide a service without paying for it, the service is generally lousy and the cost high.

The first cross-subsidy is the provision of free emergency care facilities for the indigent. If Congress wants to make hospitals provide these services, it should pay for them. Under the current system (which was sneaked in through the small print of a 1,000-page reconciliation bill in 1986), hospitals have to provide the expensive facilities to everybody, and don't get reimbursed for the deadbeats. Needless to say, loaded with these extra costs, hospitals do what comes easiest - they unload those costs onto the middle class. That's about $80 billion a year in extra healthcare that we pay either directly or through higher insurance premiums.

Second, the same service gets charged at three completely different rates - depending on who's paying for it. The lowest rate is paid by the government through Medicare/Medicaid. This means doctors hate taking Medicare patients, which is tough for senior citizens who need healthcare. The middle rate is paid by insurance companies, who negotiate and get volume discounts. The highest rate - and we're talking here about three or four times the insurance company rate - is paid by the middle class, by folks who lack health insurance and by those who have been denied coverage (such as for a "pre-existing" condition).

moneymorning.com...

[edit on 23-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
All I can say is good luck making me pay
My AK is only happy when it's warm so hurry the hell up, I'm growing tired of all this pre-fight bitchslapping. Obamacare can go where my rectal exam belongs.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You will not need it, all we have to do is call the bill unconstitutional and challenge the government in court.

I know is going to be a growing number of citizens joining ranks on this one.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Why would health insurance companies be against this?

It *FORCES* people to buy health insurance.

Until i became a state employee, i did not have health insurance. Now i dont really have a choice

But that aside, its just hilarious to me that anyone who stands to gain from thsi would be speaking out against it.

Must be a facade.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
People who get their panties in a wad over articles like these are also probably buying the Inquirer and believing that Hitler is still alive and well.

Seriously.

You deserve the high blood pressure it is bringing you.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
In the words of Thomas Jefferson, ...

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

These words Jefferson said over 180 years ago, and they still ring true to my ears.

That quote has been in my signature for years now.

[edit on 12/23/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I certainly don't buy the enquirer but I am intrigued by the content of the article. What specifically about it raises a flag about its credibility? Enlightening others to a flacy in this case may be helpful as the issue seems to be a stressful one. Your input is appreciated.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Obamacare will go down as the worst legislation past in the History of our Government. I think healthcare should be reformed, but not by communist that want to create the USSA.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join