It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit of armour vs Guns

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
You're right! Hardness, not density makes the difference here. I forgot lead weighs more, but is softer.

DOH!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well! soft lead Bullets are can't penetrates any metal armour, bu Full Metal Jacket bullet can penetrates Steel armor

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Armour could probably stop most average hand gun rounds, and may slow the rifle rounds but modern guns are just to powerful, after all if it was a viable technology armour wouldn't have evolved to what we have today, which still lacks the ability (mostly) to stop the larger rounds. There are exceptions but that is true in all cases. Also full plate is heavy and damn neer impossible to manuver in. A lot of knights in full plate would become exausted after just a few hours, and they were also cooking in there in the heat (you wrap yourself in metal then go out in the sun, see how long you last)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
Well! soft lead Bullets are can't penetrates any metal armour, bu Full Metal Jacket bullet can penetrates Steel armor

Sure they can! Ever shot a car with a wadcutter before? An old car with thick steel door panels? I have, and it goes straight through. That's not much different than armor, in fact the door was thinker than a lot of armor would have been. If you don't know, wadcutters are plain solid lead shot, generally subsonic velocities.

Also, Full Metal Jacket ammo isn't armor piercing because of the jacket. It is to stop lead fouling/deposits on the rifling when shot at higher velocities. That, or when using harder core rounds, the softer copper jacket won't damage the rifling.

Really the only time I could imagine a modern gun COULDN'T penetrate armor would be a .22 or .32. or .380 I would almost guarantee everything else would pass through it like butter.

Originally posted by JDBlack
Armour could probably stop most average hand gun rounds, and may slow the rifle rounds but modern guns are just to powerful, after all if it was a viable technology armour wouldn't have evolved to what we have today, which still lacks the ability (mostly) to stop the larger rounds. There are exceptions but that is true in all cases. Also full plate is heavy and damn neer impossible to manuver in. A lot of knights in full plate would become exausted after just a few hours, and they were also cooking in there in the heat (you wrap yourself in metal then go out in the sun, see how long you last)

People have a lot of interesting opinions on armor! Proper plate armor was built for battle. If would make no sense to put a soldier out there that couldn't move around. While it's true a full suit of plate makes things harder than simple maille or leather armor would, by no means was a plate wearing soldier a stumbling clunky uncoordinated tin can. They could move around quite well. This is just myth! Even someone wearing no armor would become exhausted after engaged in this type of battle for more than a few hours.

The idea that plate armor was thick, heavy, and cumbersome just isn't true. Because of that it would be very easy for pretty much all firearms, even most pistols with low performance cartridges, to pass effortlessly through.

edit on 1-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Awwww so you mean one day i wont be able to skydive on an alligator while dual wielding 2 M60s while crapping out grenades and be able to land on a high speed motor bike and get away from the police after i robbed the bank?

Cus if thats true then it means i have to go back to the drawing board

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Not so: watch the ending of Taurus Bulba....when Yul Bryner shoots Tony Curtis wearing an armored breastplate. One shot....dead.
edit on 1-3-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
reply to post by masonicon

True, and soon as you put on kevlar you're invincible?

Kevlar only works low powered weapons (not on AK-47s!!) and you would probably die from internal bleeding from the hit.

You need a ceramic plate to be fine, and once it shot it breaks, so you have one second chance only.

Assuming someone empties a drum-full of 9mm shots on your dual kevlar-ceramic body armor, will the later rounds penetrate through and kill you, or will you simply bleed from internal damage?

You raised a great point about the limitations of body armor but this is important mostly for the soldiers serving on the front line rather than your average everday civilian. Here is a video describing what I am talking about:

edit on 2-3-2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: add video

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Ok, so I exagerated a little bit, but the armour would slow down the user and make them tire out quicker than a lighter armour, thought that is fairly self evident. The armour would probably make you less vulnerable to lighter rounds, but at what cost? I admittedly don't know that much about wearing armour, but most people in the middle ages wore a leather armour (as I understand it) or at most, chain mail. Also a skilled group (like the roman legions) could fight for many hours due to the intencity of the physical training, as I understand it. The legions wore heavier armour, but it was comparitively light when put up against the plate armour of the middle ages.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
how about Flak Armor from 40k as well the body armor that Tau Firewarriors uses?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Given that the only versions of that particular type of armor that exist are made of cardboard or fiberglass by Warhammer 40K geeks, I'm going to go ahead and say no, it wouldn't work.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join