It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Suit of armour vs Guns

page: 2
2
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley
The bullets fired from most guns, certainly, as they are not designed to go through armor. Armor-piercing rounds wouldn't have too much trouble - but how many people carry those?


Anyone who is loading their 5.56mm rifle with Mil Surplus ammunition.

The current issue 5.56x45 NATO uses a 62gr projectile made of lead coated with copper and has a tempered steel core (referred to as Improved Penetration or IP core). These rounds are specifically designed to penetrate light armour and sheet metal. Note that this is NOT special armour piercing ammo, but just the bog-standard ball/FMJ round.

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.




posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Originally posted by Wembley
The bullets fired from most guns, certainly, as they are not designed to go through armor. Armor-piercing rounds wouldn't have too much trouble - but how many people carry those?


Anyone who is loading their 5.56mm rifle with Mil Surplus ammunition.

The current issue 5.56x45 NATO uses a 62gr projectile made of lead coated with copper and has a tempered steel core (referred to as Improved Penetration or IP core). These rounds are specifically designed to penetrate light armour and sheet metal. Note that this is NOT special armour piercing ammo, but just the bog-standard ball/FMJ round.

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.

But how about Heavy Machine Gun Bullets and Autocannon Shells?



posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
one more question: why the metallic Suit of Armour including medieval ones are almost always shown to be completely impervious to small arms(minus explosive weaponry) that their caliber is as large as 30mm in fictions and films?



posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon
 


Honestly, what movies are you watching?

As someone mentioned earlier, the only movie I've seen with bullets vs. metal armor is The Devil's Rejects.

Why does it matter anyway?

Haven't you ever heard of the term "suspension of disbelief"?



posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyPete
reply to post by masonicon
 


Honestly, what movies are you watching?

As someone mentioned earlier, the only movie I've seen with bullets vs. metal armor is The Devil's Rejects.

Why does it matter anyway?

Haven't you ever heard of the term "suspension of disbelief"?

Doomsday(2008 film) where I watch the scene where Futuristic soldiers shoots medieval knight on horseback with their machine guns only to have their gunshots won't penetrate medieval knight's amor

[edit on 26-2-2010 by masonicon]



posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
we are know that too often metallic things(including medieval suit of armor) in the Hollywood films are only vulnerable to explosive weapons and other high powered weapons as well magnets.



[edit on 2-3-2010 by masonicon]

[edit on 2-3-2010 by masonicon]



posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hi Joey,


Originally posted by joey_hv
M16 round will go right through both sides of a wwII helmet


A trait the M-16 thus share with the standard WW" era infantry weapon....

In fact most world war two era standard infantry weapons would still kill a soldier wearing the helmets in use with most western powers today.

Helmets are meant to provide protecting against shell fragments ( including bullet) , ricochet and all manner of larger calibre lower velocity handgun rounds....

Regards,

Stellar



posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Hi Joey,


Originally posted by joey_hv
M16 round will go right through both sides of a wwII helmet


A trait the M-16 thus share with the standard WW" era infantry weapon....

In fact most world war two era standard infantry weapons would still kill a soldier wearing the helmets in use with most western powers today.

Helmets are meant to provide protecting against shell fragments ( including bullet) , ricochet and all manner of larger calibre lower velocity handgun rounds....

Regards,

Stellar



How about Medieval Suit of Armor?



posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyPete
reply to post by masonicon
 


Honestly, what movies are you watching?

As someone mentioned earlier, the only movie I've seen with bullets vs. metal armor is The Devil's Rejects.

Why does it matter anyway?

Haven't you ever heard of the term "suspension of disbelief"?

Do you hear Stormtrooper effect where enemy Marksman have never hits Hero, Unless when Hero is at least have literally Bulletproof Durability level

[edit on 19-3-2010 by masonicon]



posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You can shoot Superman 50 times in a row but the bullets bounce right off his chest. Throw the empty gun at him and he ducks for his life.



posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wembley
 


At that time wasn't most of the ammo soft lead? It would have deformed and shed energy too quickly to penetrate. At least I think that is the case. I could be wrong. I'm a little rusty on 19th century Aussie firearms.



posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lance_covel
You can shoot Superman 50 times in a row but the bullets bounce right off his chest. Throw the empty gun at him and he ducks for his life.

How about shooting Fictional Cyborgs or those with Powered Exoskeletons?

[edit on 20-3-2010 by masonicon]

[edit on 20-3-2010 by masonicon]



posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
why in the Hollywood films the Suit of Armour Including Medieval ones are always shown to be Completely bulletproof even the bullet is Full Metal Jacket it still won't penetrate that armor suit?


Because, Hollywood is nothing more than a propaganda machine, period.

If they can keep you, falsely believing, that armor is impervious to bullets, then you might actually try something stupid, instead of independent research, and do it yourself.

Case in point :

1) North Hollywood Shootout


Quote from : Wikipedia : North Hollywood Shootout

The North Hollywood shootout was an armed confrontation between two heavily-armed bank robbers, Larry Phillips, Jr. and Emil Matasareanu, and patrol and SWAT officers of the Los Angeles Police Department in North Hollywood, California on February 28, 1997.

It happened when responding patrol officers engaged Phillips, 26 and Matasareanu, 30 leaving a bank which the two men had just robbed.

Ten officers and seven civilians sustained injuries before both robbers were killed.

Phillips and Matasareanu had robbed several armored vehicles prior to their attempt in North Hollywood and were notorious for their heavy armament, which included automatic rifles.

Local patrol officers at the time were typically armed with 9 mm or .38 Special pistols on their person, with some having a 12-gauge shotgun available in their cars.

Phillips and Matasareanu carried fully automatic rifles, with ammunition capable of penetrating police body armor, and wore military grade body armor of their own.

Since the police handguns could not penetrate the bank robbers' body armor, the patrol officers' efforts were ineffective.

SWAT eventually arrived with weapons that could penetrate and several officers also appropriated several AR-15 rifles from a nearby firearms dealer.

The incident sparked debate on the appropriate firepower for patrol officers to have available in similar situations in the future.


Armed Bank Robbery


These men were pretty well armed, via a means to actually take on Law Enforcement.

If Hollywood is to promote action, it would do it through false dogma, of idiotic scenarios.

In other words, if they can create the false impression, people might not actually try it.

Come on by and check out some of the information I have collected in this regard.

The Men Who Stare At Goats : Secret Missions, Movies, and Propaganda

Hollywood is basically a pawn of the Government, for the most part, hook, line, and sinker.

Then, you do have people actually try to make armor, who get approached, by the Pentagon.

Like this idiot who made armor with a timepiece on his cod-piece.

Real Life Halo Full Exoskeleton Body Armor Suit


[edit on 20-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]



posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Originally posted by masonicon
why in the Hollywood films the Suit of Armour Including Medieval ones are always shown to be Completely bulletproof even the bullet is Full Metal Jacket it still won't penetrate that armor suit?


Because, Hollywood is nothing more than a propaganda machine, period.

If they can keep you, falsely believing, that armor is impervious to bullets, then you might actually try something stupid, instead of independent research, and do it yourself.

Case in point :

1) North Hollywood Shootout


Quote from : Wikipedia : North Hollywood Shootout

The North Hollywood shootout was an armed confrontation between two heavily-armed bank robbers, Larry Phillips, Jr. and Emil Matasareanu, and patrol and SWAT officers of the Los Angeles Police Department in North Hollywood, California on February 28, 1997.

It happened when responding patrol officers engaged Phillips, 26 and Matasareanu, 30 leaving a bank which the two men had just robbed.

Ten officers and seven civilians sustained injuries before both robbers were killed.

Phillips and Matasareanu had robbed several armored vehicles prior to their attempt in North Hollywood and were notorious for their heavy armament, which included automatic rifles.

Local patrol officers at the time were typically armed with 9 mm or .38 Special pistols on their person, with some having a 12-gauge shotgun available in their cars.

Phillips and Matasareanu carried fully automatic rifles, with ammunition capable of penetrating police body armor, and wore military grade body armor of their own.

Since the police handguns could not penetrate the bank robbers' body armor, the patrol officers' efforts were ineffective.

SWAT eventually arrived with weapons that could penetrate and several officers also appropriated several AR-15 rifles from a nearby firearms dealer.

The incident sparked debate on the appropriate firepower for patrol officers to have available in similar situations in the future.


Armed Bank Robbery


These men were pretty well armed, via a means to actually take on Law Enforcement.

If Hollywood is to promote action, it would do it through false dogma, of idiotic scenarios.

In other words, if they can create the false impression, people might not actually try it.

Come on by and check out some of the information I have collected in this regard.

The Men Who Stare At Goats : Secret Missions, Movies, and Propaganda

Hollywood is basically a pawn of the Government, for the most part, hook, line, and sinker.

Then, you do have people actually try to make armor, who get approached, by the Pentagon.

Like this idiot who made armor with a timepiece on his cod-piece.

Real Life Halo Full Exoskeleton Body Armor Suit


[edit on 20-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

the Suit of Armor that impervious to bullets that I talk here are Mostly Refers to Medieval Suit of Armour



posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
The current issue 5.56x45 NATO uses a 62gr projectile made of lead coated with copper and has a tempered steel core (referred to as Improved Penetration or IP core). These rounds are specifically designed to penetrate light armour and sheet metal. Note that this is NOT special armour piercing ammo, but just the bog-standard ball/FMJ round.

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.


I don't think you'd have much luck with late medival plate mail, ie the classical "suit of armor". It depends a lot on the quality of the steel and the angle, but many were designed to be 'swallow chested' specifically to deflect projectiles.

Obvious true amor-piercing would go right through, by I'm not sure about 5.56mm ball. It'll go through Kevlarall right, but this is a different mechanism.



posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

Originally posted by PaddyInf
The current issue 5.56x45 NATO uses a 62gr projectile made of lead coated with copper and has a tempered steel core (referred to as Improved Penetration or IP core). These rounds are specifically designed to penetrate light armour and sheet metal. Note that this is NOT special armour piercing ammo, but just the bog-standard ball/FMJ round.

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.


I don't think you'd have much luck with late medival plate mail, ie the classical "suit of armor". It depends a lot on the quality of the steel and the angle, but many were designed to be 'swallow chested' specifically to deflect projectiles.

Obvious true amor-piercing would go right through, by I'm not sure about 5.56mm ball. It'll go through Kevlarall right, but this is a different mechanism.

There's Something Strange in Hollywood: Suit of Armor like the classic ones in the TVs and Movies are also Impervious to Heavy Machine Gun(including Miniguns) Rounds and Autocannon(Including Chainguns) Rounds where in the Films Autocannons are almost always have it's rounds no more powerful than Smaller Guns but Suit of Armor are also only Vulnerable to Frag Grenade and other Explosive Weapons regardless it's powers where in real life Autocannons are Surprisingly more Powerful than Frag Grenade(Frag Grenade is Anti-personnel weapon while Autocannon is anti-materiel weapon)

[edit on 23-3-2010 by masonicon]

[edit on 23-3-2010 by masonicon]



posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

Originally posted by PaddyInf

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.


I don't think you'd have much luck with late medival plate mail, ie the classical "suit of armor". It depends a lot on the quality of the steel and the angle, but many were designed to be 'swallow chested' specifically to deflect projectiles.

Obvious true amor-piercing would go right through, by I'm not sure about 5.56mm ball. It'll go through Kevlarall right, but this is a different mechanism.


Really? In NATO tests the 5.56mm SS109 penetrates 1/8" steel plate at over 600m, and 3/8" (9.4mm) plate at 200m. It was adopted because of its' ability to penetrate both sides of the old US-issue steel helmet at 600m.



posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Originally posted by Wembley

Originally posted by PaddyInf

This would almost certainly motor through the sort of plate armour envisaged here.


I don't think you'd have much luck with late medival plate mail, ie the classical "suit of armor". It depends a lot on the quality of the steel and the angle, but many were designed to be 'swallow chested' specifically to deflect projectiles.

Obvious true amor-piercing would go right through, by I'm not sure about 5.56mm ball. It'll go through Kevlarall right, but this is a different mechanism.


Really? In NATO tests the 5.56mm SS109 penetrates 1/8" steel plate at over 600m, and 3/8" (9.4mm) plate at 200m. It was adopted because of its' ability to penetrate both sides of the old US-issue steel helmet at 600m.

How about Penetrating 'Suit of Armour'?



posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Really? In NATO tests the 5.56mm SS109 penetrates 1/8" steel plate at over 600m, and 3/8" (9.4mm) plate at 200m. It was adopted because of its' ability to penetrate both sides of the old US-issue steel helmet at 600m.

How about Penetrating 'Suit of Armour'?


Well, if the armour is made of steel plate then the above guides should hold. Obviously factors such as angle of strike, range, plate thickness, quality of steel etc all come into play, but this is the case with any penetration test. For example a strike with a shallow angle will not penetrate as deep as a 90 degree hit and so on.



posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Originally posted by masonicon

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Really? In NATO tests the 5.56mm SS109 penetrates 1/8" steel plate at over 600m, and 3/8" (9.4mm) plate at 200m. It was adopted because of its' ability to penetrate both sides of the old US-issue steel helmet at 600m.

How about Penetrating 'Suit of Armour'?


Well, if the armour is made of steel plate then the above guides should hold. Obviously factors such as angle of strike, range, plate thickness, quality of steel etc all come into play, but this is the case with any penetration test. For example a strike with a shallow angle will not penetrate as deep as a 90 degree hit and so on.

man! in the Movies and Games, Suit of Armour are completely bulletproof even when shot countless times from ahead and behind directly even with the guns with calibers up to 30mm

[edit on 26-3-2010 by masonicon]



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join