It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit of armour vs Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
why in the Hollywood films the Suit of Armour Including Medieval ones are always shown to be Completely bulletproof even the bullet is Full Metal Jacket it still won't penetrate that armor suit?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Because its Hollywood fiction! Easy answer. In real life Ninja turtle suits are neat...otherwise known as full riot gear.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hmm well... in Hollywood:

-people shoot more than 6 rounds from a revolver
-heroes get shot 20 times and have time for a long speech
-villains take one shot/punch to die
-heroes have 100% accuracy with two automatic heavy weapons
-villains can be 20 across and trained mercs but never able to hit the hero

Video games dont help either. Stupid COD modern warfare... riot shields are made of PLASTIC they dont stop bullets! And Ballistic shields are black!!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flakey
Because its Hollywood fiction! Easy answer. In real life Ninja turtle suits are neat...otherwise known as full riot gear.

Hollywood is the source of global brainwashing: makes Purely Fictional modern horror zombies much more popular than Traditional Voodoo zombies who have it's real life counterparts, Chainsaw and Minigun are used as handheld weapon, etc. most of us has been brainwashed by hollywood for decades.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
Hmm well... in Hollywood:

-people shoot more than 6 rounds from a revolver
-heroes get shot 20 times and have time for a long speech
-villains take one shot/punch to die
-heroes have 100% accuracy with two automatic heavy weapons
-villains can be 20 across and trained mercs but never able to hit the hero

Video games dont help either. Stupid COD modern warfare... riot shields are made of PLASTIC they dont stop bullets! And Ballistic shields are black!!

also in hollywood the Medieval suit of armor is always more bulletproof than Bulletproof vest.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Sorry... I am, for the life of me, trying to figure out what movie or TV show the OP is referring too, where Medieval Armor is shot with a firearm and doesn't penetrate it?????

OP please help me out...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
M16 round will go right through both sides of a wwII helmet

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon

also in hollywood the Medieval suit of armor is always more bulletproof than Bulletproof vest.

And bullets spark when they hit it - always.

That's how hollywood let's us know the bullets are bouncing off of the armour.

[edit on 21-12-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

True, and soon as you put on kevlar you're invincible?

Kevlar only works low powered weapons (not on AK-47s!!) and you would probably die from internal bleeding from the hit.

You need a ceramic plate to be fine, and once it shot it breaks, so you have one second chance only.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Don't forget that guns never run out of ammo. There are countless movies where the hero or main character fires off an automatic rifle and never once reloads.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by divinetragedy79
Don't forget that guns never run out of ammo. There are countless movies where the hero or main character fires off an automatic rifle and never once reloads.

But there is an exception to that rule. It normally happens near the end where the hero gets ready to beat the snot out of the baddy.

You hear his gun click as he runs out of bullets, but at this point we already know what is going to happen (an old school style ass kicking)- so I guess that exception doesn't count as running out of bullets... The clicking of the hero's empty gun signifies the opening of a Can of Whuppass!

[edit on 21-12-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Sorry... I am, for the life of me, trying to figure out what movie or TV show the OP is referring too, where Medieval Armor is shot with a firearm and doesn't penetrate it?????

OP please help me out...

Medieval x wild west or Modern crossover films!

[edit on 22-12-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I used to be more than willing to give Hollywood a "stupid" pass when it came to firearms.

That is, until I figured out that 90% of the asshats in government who rail for gun bans are getting their info from Hollywood.

Pains me to think of how my life has been altered and rights scoffed at because some moron got a little too jumpy over a movie.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I lived in Paris, during that time I went to the musee les invalides, in there, there are plenty of breastplates and suits of armour, many of them riddled with small holes from bodkin arrows.
It's quite something to look at 1/2" steel and see that someone put a hole in it using a muscle powered projectile.
Although a modern rifle round isn't specifically designed to defeat such armour as the bodkin was, I'm betting total kinetic energy transferred to the target is quite a lot higher.

Would someone care to work that out? There were bows recovered form the mary rose which had draw weights in excess of 160lbs as I recall. How does that compare to a rifle round for total projectile energy?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by aegis80
I lived in Paris, during that time I went to the musee les invalides, in there, there are plenty of breastplates and suits of armour, many of them riddled with small holes from bodkin arrows.
It's quite something to look at 1/2" steel and see that someone put a hole in it using a muscle powered projectile.
Although a modern rifle round isn't specifically designed to defeat such armour as the bodkin was, I'm betting total kinetic energy transferred to the target is quite a lot higher.

Would someone care to work that out? There were bows recovered form the mary rose which had draw weights in excess of 160lbs as I recall. How does that compare to a rifle round for total projectile energy?

Do you have remembered that all kind of Guns(minus Large Guns like Tank guns and Artillery guns) in many Hollywood films are have it's ammo no more powerful than Modern Rifle Rounds?

[edit on 31-12-2009 by masonicon]

[edit on 31-12-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

why in the Hollywood films the Suit of Armour Including Medieval ones are always shown to be Completely bulletproof even the bullet is Full Metal Jacket it still won't penetrate that armor suit?

It worked pretty well for Ned Kelly, "the iron outlaw" - he was shot dozens of times but his home-made armor stopped everything.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well to be on topic...

The only movie that i saw that had people using armor against gunfire that remotely had a chance was in the devils rejects...

At the beginning of the movie the bad guys used what looked like 1/8" steel crudely cut with a torch into chestplates, helmets and leg guards

1/8" will do well against some JHP pistol rounds and shotgun fire but not the 556 rounds as shown in the movie

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

It worked pretty well for Ned Kelly, "the iron outlaw" - he was shot dozens of times but his home-made armor stopped everything.

en.wikipedia.org...

Is his armor also Stops Bullets Fired from Modern guns?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Reply to above.

I seriously dout it, he was killed back in 1880. one fault with his armour was that he had basically no leg protection in the end from memory thats what finally brought him down.

here's a pic of the armour

www.slv.vic.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

en.wikipedia.org...

Is his armor also Stops Bullets Fired from Modern guns?

The bullets fired from most guns, certainly, as they are not designed to go through armor. Armor-piercing rounds wouldn't have too much trouble - but how many people carry those?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join