It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Yard Warns London of Possible Mumbai-Style Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Pray it doesn't happen, because any kind of Islamic attack over Christmas would possibly (and sadly) lead the way to extreme retaliation against the muslim communities of the UK.

Majority of Muslims have made it clear they have nothing to do with extremism.

Let's hope nothing happens.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
To be fair, its coming up to christmas, theres always going to be a threat of a terror attack around this time of the year.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Yhea goad them, it's probably standard operating procedure to shake them up a bit in the hopes they might start to second guess each other as informants or sloppy or something... Or so they watch and see who reports to who, who gets jittery or changes their routines suddenly -

Either that or they simply have to justify 2009's budget so they get the same or more next year? Guess we'd never know for sure, just speculation until something either happens - or far more likely nothing happens except maybe a few dawn raids on residential houses again just to keep something on sky news top storeys...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Also to be fair, we could just check some major security companies and check where their excercises in London are gonna be in January and stay to he** out of that area.

Maybe whoever gave the intel has used that very tactic to warn of a comming attack?

Might be of the wall , but could there be a connection to the anthrax event in Glasgow?

Respects

[edit on 20-12-2009 by captiva]

[edit on 20-12-2009 by captiva]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Every Christmas we have been warned of possible attacks. So either they were stopped by the intelligence services or more likely it was a bunch of no hopers talking big without ever following through. This would of course show up as "chatter".

Lets hope there isn't an attack but after year after year of it i just don't care anymore.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrlondon
What is interesting is a total lack of this story in the British press, nothing visible at the BBC even the Telegraph has nothing on it on the home page.

You would think seeing as Scotland Yard is a British institution and this threat specifically references possible attacks in the UK it would be getting UK press coverage?

Fox News gave their source as The Times.

I hope that the intelligence leading to this warning was rather more than a few posts on a 'Jihadist' forum. There is a difference between saying stuff on the internet to impress your fellow forum members and actually having the means and inclination to carry out attacks.

[edit on 20/12/2009 by MarrsAttax]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkava

Majority of Muslims have made it clear they have nothing to do with extremism.

Let's hope nothing happens.

Yes but to be fair those very same muslims who "make it clear" also want to turn Britain into an Islamic state, hate us for our governments interfering in "their" lands, and do nothing to give up their "brothers" who are planning these attacks.

Islam by definition is extreme, it's like a Nazi claiming he has nothing to do with Fascism.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Just so you can hear it direct from the horses mouth so to speak, check out their website for the latest situation.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

It's middle of the road at the moment folks and has been higher so I don't think London is going up in smoke anytime soon?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
Just so you can hear it direct from the horses mouth so to speak, check out their website for the latest situation.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

It's middle of the road at the moment folks and has been higher so I don't think London is going up in smoke anytime soon?

I've just come back in and read this - checked on Sky News and nothing was standing out at me on the site (though I didn't search too hard) and this stuck me as strange. Glad that you posted that link

We've always had a 'threat' of some sort hanging over us and as previously stated by someone else, it does seem to go up near the holiday seasons. I've always thought that this was down to keeping us scared and the thoughts fresh in our minds of WHY we are fighting these wars.

The British people have shown time and time again though (7/7) that we will just carry on as normal and not show fear - we've been living through it for years before with the IRA.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I agree, if this Muslim extremist attacck does happen, it could spell some kind of war within the UK against the majority of completely innocent muslims.

Not Good.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mrlondon

I thought the same thing. Im very surprised this warning was not on the telegraph or BBC news sites.

I see one poster mentions it came from the Times. Strange how BBC etc never went with it too.?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Lol @ this recent warning. Because carrying round explosives along with sub-machine guns and Ammo is something you can "casually" do in London without being noticed.

My guess is this was yet another False-Flag operation which was uncovered by a Whistleblower, so to save face they simply made suggestion that "Mumbai-Style attacks" were going to occur.

Lets not forget the last laughable warning we were issued saying shopping centres were targets, then the very people who they suspected were going to be responsible for these "attacks" were deemed not guilty and walked free from court.

Like I always say, the REAL enemy is those you CANT see, not the ones your told you can.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The problem is. intent is simply not enough for these guys. They want to catch them in the act for maximum prison time. Even if it risks someone getting shot.

Plus it makes them look good in the papers if all goes well:
"terrorsit attack foiled in the nick of time." even though they have known about it for months.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I thought warnings weren't given when the details on when the attack(s) would occur aren't known, since it could just cause citizens to become scared and everyone would be acting out of the ordinary... so now what, the people in the area of the supposed possible attacks are to worry until something horrible happens? That would suck to have anxiety that you know wont go away until what you're expecting comes. Pretty sh**ty situation if you ask me.

I hope we don't find these events to come true, and if said attacks are eminent then maybe they can be stopped if tptb decide to play hero for a day. Confusing bastards that they are...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Let's not forget we do not have police with out of date pistols or rifles like the Mumbai police. We have HIGHLY trained , highly skilled and excellent equipped counter-units who will take out these murderous bastards.

You are aware that the majority (over 90%) of UK police are unarmed right? Only Authorized Firearms Officers are trained and allowed to carry firearms period. Yeah, the Indian Police are also normally unarmed but every officer is qualified in the use of firearms and they do have enough to issue each officer with a pistol or rifle should it be needed.

Good luck waiting for the British Army to come save the day ...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

Let's not forget we do not have police with out of date pistols or rifles like the Mumbai police. We have HIGHLY trained , highly skilled and excellent equipped counter-units who will take out these murderous bastards.

You are aware that the majority (over 90%) of UK police are unarmed right? Only Authorized Firearms Officers are trained and allowed to carry firearms period. Yeah, the Indian Police are also normally unarmed but every officer is qualified in the use of firearms and they do have enough to issue each officer with a pistol or rifle should it be needed.

Good luck waiting for the British Army to come save the day ...

I agree, our police are not equipped to handle this at all. We do have great Special Forces, but by the time they arrive there could be a high number of casuaties.

The most important thing is the Intelligence. If we can keep track of this "chatter" and work out exactly where and when, and who, then its the only safe guard against losing lots of life.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
London Calling

I'm a critic of the ever-growing "Surveillance Society" in England, but in cases like these officials are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If they don't announce their findings, they run the risk of allowing an attack to take place on an unsuspecting public, and facing criticism for not anticipating and preventing it. If they do announce their findings, they are excoriated for "fear-mongering" and causing unnecessary panic, in addition to the "boy who cried wolf" effect.

Since there seems to be no universally acceptable compromise, criticizing them for choosing one of two undesirable choices seems moot.

As for a possible attack, the track record of London versus terrorism is quite encouraging, from the Blitz to the V-rockets to the Troubles and 7/7, Londoners have shown a singular and admirable resilience in the face of mortal danger.

Though I wish for the best, it's with utmost respect and assurance that Londoners can handle the worst.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Its interesting, that even after this warning is issued, the current Terror Threat Level is still at its middle Level.

The current terrorism threat level is Substantial

critical - an attack is expected imminently
severe - an attack is highly likely
substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
moderate - an attack is possible but not likely
low - an attack is unlikely

Be good to keep an eye on this the rest of this week to see if it changes any.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MarrsAttax

Fox/The Times/The Sun - Same agenda different typeface.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I agree, it's the same with the whole monitoring Internet, Phone Calls Etc. Without this surveillance, we would possibly not be able to foresee these attacks at all.

With the sheer mix of cultures people, and hatred towards the UK these days, it's no wonder they have cameras everywhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join