It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it Impossible to Travel Faster then the Speed of Light?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FTL_Navigator

That is so incredibly wrong, I don't even know where to start..

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

Originally posted by lordtyp0
The time axis though, is grid not perceptual in nature.

What do you mean?

Perceptual = what we see and or arbitrarily define: noon, 45 minute, time for sleep, yesterday.

Grid = value used as an aspect or axis in an equation. This is expressed in perceptual terms (such as minutes) but has no real connection to what we give meaning. It is purely a positive and/or negative value which is used in the problem.

It's a weird distinction but a noteworthy one. In the above, I am sitting on Pluto and seeing myself packup for the trip on earth via a powerful telescope. This is a perceptual time thing. In the grid I am on Pluto. If I had FTL communications I could phone home and even to earth I would have left already-earth and I are on the same time grid. I just beat the evidence of my departure and am able to see it. To myself and earth it is "now" in the perceptual. They would have seen me leave say: a few minutes ago. I beat the light to Pluto by around 5 hours. I can perceive five hours in the past because the light carrying the information has yet to reach me.

That causality issue is expressed in several places as some sort of proof of time travel because of the application of perceptual time where it doesn't belong.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I beat the light to Pluto by around 5 hours. I can perceive five hours in the past because the light carrying the information has yet to reach me.

That causality issue is expressed in several places as some sort of proof of time travel because of the application of perceptual time where it doesn't belong.

I still have no idea what you're trying to say.

I get the "1 minute is an arbitrary unit" thing you were saying, but that's about it.

You can't actually get to pluto in a shorter amount of time than it takes light to get there, so I see no paradoxes either.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

I beat the light to Pluto by around 5 hours. I can perceive five hours in the past because the light carrying the information has yet to reach me.

I still have no idea what you're trying to say.

I get the "1 minute is an arbitrary unit" thing you were saying, but that's about it.

You can't actually get to pluto in a shorter amount of time than it takes light to get there, so I see no paradoxes either.

Well the idea is a Causality paradox if one COULD go FTL. Ive had people tell me FTL was impossible because of that. Personally I think the whole energy requirements (being basically: more energy than exists in the universe.) are far more profound

Not sure if this will clarify grid vs perceptual.
Perceptual of yesterday = a memory or keepsake (pictures etc.). Used primarily to give us a sense of continuity.

Grid of yesterday would be more of the value in terms of measuring velocities: Object A was at location A, now it is at B. We predict tomorrow it will be at C and on and on. In "grid" time travel is impossible because it merely represents the axial point. The concepts of forward and backward are just concepts used to illustrate movements of objects and/or say: entropic decay. Things of that nature. You cannot actually move back in grid because it is merely a representation of a coordinate.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Its understandable you believe that you cannot travel faster than the speed of light when we really don;t know that much about advanced energies.It is possible there are energies that travel faster than the speed of light but they are not classified as light.Though very advanced processes objects can be turned into pure light and then again turned into other energies that can travel many times faster that the speed of light.We know most energies relate to light and heat.There are proberly some very advanced energies that do not contain either light or heat.There sub atomic structure is totaly different to what we know today.Some energies are controlled and deployed by the mind .Some energies are controlled and deployed by mechanical and chemical means.Some energies are controlled and deployed by other means which the understanding gos beyond the capability and intelligence of the human mind of today.Try to understand all that.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I have learned that because if it had any mass it would require more energy then there is in the universe to accelerate it to the speed of light.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

If you where on a bus that was moving, for an example, and walked from the rear to the front you would not be traveling faster than the bus.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ummm... its not impossible.

Try looking up i believe the r call Tachions.... may have spelled that wrong

I think they r radio waves that travel faster than light... if i recall right

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mtok7

Of course you would. If you walk at 2mph relative to the bus, and the bus is moving at 30mph relative to the ground, your speed relative to the ground is 32mph.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
A tachyon (pronounced /ˈtækiˌɒn/; Greek: ταχύς, takhus, "swift" + English: -on "elementary particle") is a hypothetical subatomic particle that travels faster than the speed of light. In the language of special relativity, a tachyon is a particle with space-like four-momentum and imaginary proper time. A tachyon is constrained to the space-like portion of the energy-momentum graph. Therefore, it cannot slow down to subluminal speeds.

en.wikipedia.org...

EDIT: i just read the hypothetical part, but i think some1 reached this with radio waves.... cant recall where i heard it though...

[edit on 13-12-2009 by voudew]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is a great OP with some great thinking! I may not agree with some of it but here is my two cents.

My OWN opinion is that time and thermodynamics are one and the same, where information is moved through the system with thermodynamics being the medium. To explain; high pressure HAS to move to low pressure, hot HAS to go cold, energy/information HAS to go from one place to another and change from one form to another. There is NOTHING in the universe that doesnt carry out that task!
Matter is just STORED information/energy, and light is FREE information/energy.
If we strip ourselves down to our component parts, at the most fundermental level we are pure information/energy that is connected to the WHOLE system because of the no locality of our quantum framework.. Every quanta of you and I is connected to quanta in all parts of the universe at the same time, so in essence, we have no location, but at the same time are everywhere!!
So in reality, each of us ALREADY travels faster than light, however the "programmer" of this "quantum simulation" has seen fit, that the most complex stored information (us), are quarantined here for some reason.... Thread about that comming soon..

[edit on 063131p://f40Sunday by Selahobed]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Prove me wrong then, I can prove light has mass, it is done in every highschool for basic physics.

Think outside the square and read your history books.

If light did not had mass then infrared frequencies would not excite molecules and create heat through interaction??

HADES

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

If this information is correct, information is traveling way beyond the speed of light OR if entanglement is the answer, then boy does that open up new ways of thinking. I hope this link works guys. if not here is the link to the video.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 13-12-2009 by intothelight]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It is not impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, if you were doing so at the the very first nansecond after the big boom. It is impossible for an object to ACCELERATE beyond the speed of light basically because Quantum Law forbids it. Dat's da fack Jack!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Sound does not weigh anything and we can travel faster than that.Not sure how scientific that is but its my observation.Furthermore if there was a craft that could travel at the speed of light and was big enough to walk from the rear of the ship to the front then by walking from the rear of the ship to the front that person would be traveling faster than the speed of light.

Sound isn't mass or matter. It is an effect on air, think of a small sound as a 'ripple' and a large sound as a tsunami. However we hear sound because of air.

FTL isn't possible in the normal sense because we would not have enough energy to power the acceleration of a spaceship the size of a cat let alone a larger sci-fi like cruiser. This is of course for normal space. If one tunneled through one could arrive at the location in a fraction of time-covering vast distances in normal space. But in reality-very little movement (since it was a tunnel).

Tachyons are an interesting possibility though.

Spot on, the tunneling effect would have to be a wormhole, which cheats the faster than light principle. And that would tie in to something that always cheats the light speed barrier, and thats gravity. We will have to use gravity in such a way to tunnel through space to make a shortcut to a destination. Have any of you thought about what is gravity? Some say it's a wave, other researches say it's a particle. Who knows, gravity might work in the same principle as the quantum entanglement theory. Where researchers where able to make a particle do what they wanted by applying it to a twin of that particle. In essence it knew what the other one did instantly, thats faster than light. Maybe gravity works like that by attracting a certain mass of particles instantly.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by godless

Quantum physics is a tristate theory, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction but it also postulates that there is a ZERO POINT that exist in both the negative and positive states at the same time.

Ergo if a bird can fly slower that light, therfore there is the possiblity that it can also fly faster, if were are to do this then were can use a Tachyon navigation to break into and through wormholes.

Beam me up Scotty, everyone thinks that a space ship is needed with infinate power to overcome a constant of white light in a vacuum "C", however by using the quantum states of light "C", "C-" and "C+" all thing become possible.

Either change the spin ratio or the spiral amplitude of the photon to raise or lower the frequency and or length between TWO tachyon points.

To make it simpler, TWO tachyon points within a spiral make for a photon, hence it is BOTH a particle and a wave form at the same time to satisfy the tristate quatum mechanics.

If you want to navigate via FTL then it is ONLY necessary to CHANGE the 2 postulated tachyons lenght, this is faster than a wormhole as spacetime curvature is not necessary, only the manipulating the distance between "Cn".

Read about Maxwell's Demon.

HADES

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
According to Einstein if you run at the speed of light a light beam next to you wont move anymore. Think if it this way if you run at the same speed as a car the car youldent seem to move. so therefore time will freeze. That is the theory of relitivity.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FTL_Navigator

nt

[edit on 13-12-2009 by np6888]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by np6888

Here is a it more information from the Land Of Oz re; quatum entaglement discoveryies of teleportation which can be used to go FTL..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

HADES

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Please make a thread on this! And message me when you do. It would be such an interesting read.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join