It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with the ATS membership right now ? !!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1ldofthe70s
Just imagine the hell Columbus went through when he proposed the world was not flat.

What makes you think Columbus had anything at all to do with proving the earth was not flat?

en.wikipedia.org...
"he Myth of the Flat Earth or Flat Earth mythology is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical. During the early Middle Ages, many scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was essentially dead. Flat-Earth models were in fact held at earlier (pre-medieval) times, before the spherical model became commonly accepted in Hellenistic astronomy."

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here on ATS we deal with controversial topics. ATS is arguably the most well-rounded news/opinion web site on the internet. We talk about everything. Post a 9/11 conspiracy thread on MSNBC.com or Fox News.com and tell me how long it lasts before it's deleted. Post a UFO/Alien thread, Illuminati thread, etc. They'll be ignored or ridiculed in two seconds, if not outright deleted, as well.

Suck it up. There are going to be heated arguments. That's not a bad thing. The free exchange of ideas is a good thing.

There are also going to be people who just want to pick a fight. There are going to be morons who are rude and ridicule others. Welcome to America. But those who do stoop to ridiculing others typically do so because they have no clue what they're talking about. Until they do, however, they're not worth the time. And they're certainly not worth a thread. Ignore them.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by impressme
To the casual ATS readers I apologies for my behavior, I was only trying to prove my point and I wasn’t going to back down. I can't believe he wouldn’t answerer my first question and he never did.

He clearly made a claim that I was wrong, and all I did was ask him to back up his claim.
He never did.

What's wrong with you?

You disagreed with my statement: "Everyone has their opinions."

How is that claim wrong? I don't know, but hey, I guess you know everything since you claim so.

I just want to congratulate you derailing this thread completely. Let's keep this topic on track and reply with mature posts. Thanks buddy.

If you have any questions for me, just PM me....but you already refused to do so, which kind of proves to me that you're...well, you get the drift.

G'day.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

This and a pre 80s education in history

Washington Irving's 1828 biography of Columbus popularized the idea that Columbus had difficulty obtaining support for his plan because Europeans thought the Earth was flat.

Source

I do realize that not everyone believed the tales of falling off the edge of the Earth, but some did.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
To the ATS casual readers and the OP, if I have derail this thread I humbly apologize.

I think the rest speaks for it’s self.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by impressme
To the ATS casual readers and the OP, if I have derail this thread I humbly apologize.

I think the rest speaks for it’s self.

We forgive you.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The people that are trolling the forums are pathetic and just need to be ignored. From my personal experience on forums, they wont go away until you ignore them. Let them throw in their ignorant comments, it is not going to hurt us. Plus, it's their right to have an opinion, no matter how ignorant they may be. Personally, I come here to think outside of the box and get a little brain tickle, if you will. Let's keep it coming!

[edit on 13-12-2009 by inlandempire88]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by inlandempire88
Plus, it's their right to have an opinion, no matter how ignorant they may be.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by inlandempire88]

Describes 90% of the morons on this website. I come here for alternative news, stuff you won't find on the MSM...and god knows I avoid the MSM like the plague.

You really do need to step outside the box like you said and read between the lines. Let's take 9/11 for example: everyone has their opinion on it but in the end, there will always be a dividing line between those who know the truth and those who THINK they know the truth. Everyone will be opinionated and you know what, they have every right to be. That's the glory of this website. I've seen a lot of strict forums (i've experienced this) where members would be banned for stating their (anti) religious beliefs. If one can state their PRO religious beliefs, why can't another express their ANTI religious beliefs? Luckily, ATS is more liberal than most sites....(sometimes ATS can be a bit censoring though)

There will always be those who think they're right and everyone else is wrong and I've encountered plenty of those on here. But like I said, there will always be that dividing line.. plus, if it wasn't there, things would be a tad boring, no?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Yes I agree with you. I enjoy a good debate with someone who does not agree with my views but when people start to take it personal, it gets old quick. Hopefully the core ATS members don't get disgruntled though over these new forum trolls. They'll go away..

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by inlandempire88

I always enjoy debating, but you're right, it does get old when they take it too personally, or they take things you say out of context.

Oh well, it is the interwebz lol

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
i just think that sometimes people lose sight of the fact that you can be wrong. sometimes our egos get so out of hand that we forget that we dont know everything. people tend to cling to specific ideas that they like and chose to ignore the possibilities that they dont like. they become so stuck in their views that they're unable to see other perspectives. which is sad really, because a lot of us come here for that very reason...to see other perspectives.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Because not everyone is so easily influence by the most wild and outlandish claims.

Just because you make a post saying "i flew to the moon last night on the back of a ant" doesn't mean everyone has to believe you.

Be more respectful of people with common sense.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
If you didnt know the mods said at one time or another most of our converts come from google search, so a big event like the spiral should be an obvious indication of people just registerring to ATS...

Besides some people can be on here almost a year come new years day, and still not post anything useful

whereas others may come only for a day and change a lot!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I dunno what's wrong with the ATS membership, but I do know what is wrong with this thread. It's in the wrong forum. Needs to be moved to the rant forum.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Good morning from Scotland. Having scanned the posts to the thread there are some things that I should say.

In no particular order........

The OP was not a rant, the OP was asking for opinions and an attempt to have posters look at their own method of dealing with ideas and views that are opposed to their own.

The OP also asked the question..." does anyone else agree that the boards have recently shown more abusive behavious, rudeness and lack of civility....... and do you think that this is in correlation with threads such as the spiral, could the bahaviours be viewed as deliberate derailment in such threads and is this a pointer to how close to the truth the threads are.

If I may add, some of the posts to this thread could have been scripted as they indicated exactly the bahaviours I was indicating in the OP.

For those that griped about " Just another thread"...with respects, why dont you just ignore the thread and go spend your time in your chosen threads.

For those that posted their opinions, feelings and honest views. Thank you.

Respects

[edit on 13-12-2009 by captiva]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What really leads me to distraction is when a member posts something like " I reserve comment on this untill I hear what Phage has to say about it " or " where is Phage when you need him " . You should not need to be told what to think, isn`t that why you are here, to make your own minds up. If someone gives a rediculous solution to a problem, then as good as says " nothing to see here, move along " why do a lot of people say, " oh ***** has already PROVED that it is a ( whatever ) " . Nothing has been proved, only claimed. Why do some people still NEED to be told what to think ?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Lately there has been some posters who other posters constantly point to as the "speakers of truth". And people are buying it. Its no better than turning on the tube and taking your truths from Fox News.

Other than that, I havent noticed anything extraordinary here. But there seems to be a focus on getting some people to be seen as "credible" so they are able to control threads within their "expert" area. Every time they post, they get starred within seconds.

With that power, its easy to steer people away from the truth. Dont fall for it. Evaluate the message, not the messenger.

See you around.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well said ! The next thing we know, they will be made into Moderators, then the site will be sterile of any truth or worth.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
one of the best posts ive seen in a while

i actually left ats for a few days and probably will leave for a few more due to this sole fact

when i first came on board, there was debate, there was arguing, there was fighting back and forth between members

but it was intelligent, creative, respectful

now respect is gone

if someone doesnt agree with something said, said person downgrades the opposing poster

for the past year or two i have seen a true abundance of threads get completely clogged up with nonsense, many times threads with serious value to the world, whos messages have been destroyed by nonsense

ats mods are great, but sometimes i have to wonder if they are being forced to do, or allow certain things in certain areas that may not go in others

this is a great site with great potential, but as of late it just seems to have been overrun by the confrontational trolls who are here to argue rather then to deny ignorance or share in information worldwide

what really bothers me, in the past 1-2 years, the problem is increasing, not getting better, and it all seemed to start its true downward spiral leading up to the last election starting with roughly the last year of bush in office

in the past, many of us have heard there are government entities paid to come on here and stir things up, i used to believe it, i still do, but i always used to think it was on a very small level with only the most important of topics, or top secret of topics

now im wondering, are the worlds inhabitants just really that way with their personalities or are these government representatives on here really that much more active

im starting to believe the reps are that much more active, at least i wish to believe that, instead of the other possibility, that people of the world have serious issues

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwenn
What really leads me to distraction is when a member posts something like " I reserve comment on this untill I hear what Phage has to say about it " or " where is Phage when you need him " . You should not need to be told what to think, isn`t that why you are here, to make your own minds up. If someone gives a rediculous solution to a problem, then as good as says " nothing to see here, move along " why do a lot of people say, " oh ***** has already PROVED that it is a ( whatever ) " . Nothing has been proved, only claimed. Why do some people still NEED to be told what to think ?

You just read my mind with that post.

The 'nothing to see here, move along' brigade both make me laugh with derision and pull my hair in equal measure. In the final analysis I'll be the judge of whether there's anything to the thread/topic and if it's a load of hogwash, or has some possible truth, and is worth hanging around... Not when some moron tells me.

I also don't rely on, or require Phage to decide anything for me. Phage is one of those sceptics here that I admire greatly. His patience, obvious intelligence, and ability to see what others might not is wonderful ... BUT, he is just a human being with an opinion (albeit a well-informed one). In the end I'll make up my own mind and do my own analysis ... THANK YOU!

Have a star

[edit on 13/12/2009 by Dagar]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join