It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you have a folklore story you would like to share?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
Since I was a little tot, I was amazed that there are two civilizations, so far apart that have a connecting prophecy. I have always been told that this is a coincidence, but I still feel that this is well beyond that.

In Revelations, it talks of the land of Gog.

In the folklore of ancient Britons, there exists a folklore tale that two giants called Gog and Magog will stride forth from their home in woodlands that surround London to defend the kingdom from falling at some apocryphal time in the future.

The only extensive piece of woodland left surrounding London in the London region is at Northwood which incidentally houses the UK's command bunker in the event of nuclear war.

Is the land of Gog of Revelations, the United Kingdom?

Frankly that there is a connection is quite understandable...
At the time England was the furthest arm of the Roman Empire it was the Roman Scholars who brought back English and for a long time "English" this obscure language from the furthest corner of the known world... was used as this secret language of knowledge. It's always been understood especially by the church that to much knowledge among the masses it a bad thing. so English was used to hide this higher learning. remember the origins of the king james bible, reads like a spy novel with monks having to sneak sections of the bible out so they could be copied... the Church was dead set against any common man getting his/her hands on a copy.. under penalty of death.

Now this is just my guess but to help teach the syntax of English they would have used some of these old stories, much the same way we use rhymes to teach kids.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here is an old english folk tale about parallel dimensions and time distortion.

A man left an inn after a night of merriment and proceeded down the lanes towards home. On his way he became aware of music and laughter
coming from a nearby field.Taking a closer look he saw a small mound with a doorway in the side of it,lit from the inside. He proceeded into the mound down a winding stair where he was greeted by a faery wench who enticed him to go and dance and partake in feasting and drinking, which he did. After an hour or so he bid them farewell and made his way out of the hill and headed home.
On his return, however, his family were astonished to see him. They presumed he was dead- he had been missing for over a year.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

Could it be a predecessor to "Alice in Wonderland"?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Have you ever heard the expression "gone with the fairies"?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I used to hear it a lot back in lower Manhattan. A place called "The Village.'
Did the ones you refer to live in the holes in the ground too?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The Winkle name shows up in the same area in my ancestry.
He seems to also possess a lot of my character traits.

Rip Van Winkle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Rip Van Winkle" is a short story by the American author Washington Irving ... The story of Rip Van Winkle is set in the years before and after the American ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle - Similar

The story of Rip Van Winkle is set in the years before and after the American Revolutionary War. Rip Van Winkle, a villager of Dutch descent, lives in a nice village at the foot of New York's Catskill Mountains. An amiable man whose home and farm suffer from his lazy neglect, he is loved by all but his wife.

One autumn day he escapes his nagging wife by wandering up the mountains. There he encounters strangely dressed men, rumored to be the ghosts of Henry Hudson's crew, who are playing nine-pins. After drinking some of their liquor, he settles down under a shady tree and falls asleep. He wakes and returns to his village, where he finds twenty years have passed. He finds out that his wife has died and that his close friends have died in a war or gone somewhere else. He immediately gets into trouble when he proclaims himself a loyal subject of King George III, not knowing that the American Revolution has taken place.

An old local recognizes him, however, and Rip's now grown daughter takes him in. Rip resumes his habitual idleness, and his tale is solemnly believed by the old Dutch settlers, with certain hen-pecked husbands wishing they shared Rip's good luck.

Not in this article but somewhere is a rumor that he created the noise for lightening (thunder)

While he snored for twenty years.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

These fairies were supposed to live in a different world, with hidden entrances, and they were responsible for child (and some adult) abductions, according to the stories.

Some people came back but usually with large differences in the passing of time between those that went and those that were left on "this" world.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thats cool sorta fits in a little with Rips disapearance for 20 years.

There is an old American expression "wish I could just crawl in a hole and die.
I have seen alot of self art-work dipicting folks crawling up from the bottom of a deep well or surrounded by the demons in hell like settings.

Re-birth? Return from Purgatory? Drug or mushroom excape?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP...GREATLY APPRECIATED...WILL LOOK INTO THIS MORE

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

YES I TOO HAVE HAD DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF THAT STORY TOLD TO ME THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR POST HERE...MUCH APPRECIATED

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

YES I HAVE HEARD THAT ALSO...ITS THE LACK OF THEM THAT AROUSES SUSPICIONS

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

WOW HOW INTERESTING TO THINK THAT TWO SEPARATE CIVILIZATIONS TELL THE SAME BASIC TALE....THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP NOW I HAVE ANOTHER TOPIC TO RELATE THAT STORY TO....HOPE TO SEE MORE ABOUT THIS...ALSO IF YOU COULD FIND THIS TALE SOMEWHERE ONLINE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT THAT WAY I CAN CROSS REFERENCE THE TWO AND SEE IF THERE ARE ANY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES

THANKS FOR POSTING IT HERE I APPRECIATE IT

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

JUST A FEW QUESTIONS HERE FOR YOU TO HELP ME OUT IF YOU DONT MIND

1.WHY CEDAR? WAS THERE SOME SIGNIFICANCE?
2. IS THERE ANY KIND OF OTHER SIGNIFICANCE TO THE RAVEN?
3. IT STARTS OUT SAYING SUPERNATURAL CREATURES...DO YOU KNOW OF WHAT KIND AND THEIR SIGNIFICANCE?

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS STORY WAS A VERY INTERESTING READ

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

VERY TRUE...I HAVE NOTICED THIS ALSO...IN SUCH A STORY THERE IS PROOF TO THIS CLAIM ALTHOUGH HARD TO FIND....THE GROUP NAMED SKULL AND BONES IS NOTORIOUS FOR CHANGING THINGS AS SIMPLE AS SCHOOL BOOKS TO HIDE THE TRUTH OF HOW THINGS REALLY WERE IN THE PAST...THEY ARE ALSO A BIG PART OF THE POLITICAL WORLD....HILARY CLINTON, OBAMA, GEORGE BUSH SR. AND JR. ARE BOTH A PART OF THESE LOOK UP VONHELTON ON YOUTUBE ITS A CHANNEL AND HE FURTHER EXPLAINS IN DEPTH ABOUT THIS ORGANIZATION...THE VIDEO TITLE IS CALLED SKULL AND BONES....ALSO HE GOES FURTH IN DEPTH ABOUT OTHER SECRET SOCIETIES IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

WOW VERY INTRIGUING...IS THERE ANY REFERENCE TO THIS STORY ON THE INTERWEBZ? IF SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN SEE IF THERE IS ANY CONNECTIONS AS TO ORIGIN AND TIME...WANT TO SEE IF ANYTHING SUPERNATURAL WAS GOING ON AT THE TIME THIS TALE CAME OUT

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

WOW A NICE READ...IVE HEARD OF RIP VAN WINKLE BUT NEVER HEARD THE TALE THANKS FOR SHARING THAT WAS A VERY NICE READ

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I PERSONALLY NEVER HAVE HEARD ANY OF THIS TO BE HONEST HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN VERY INTRIGUED BY THIS SUBJECT...WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND ANYTHING ELSE ON THE TOPIC TO RELAY AT A LATER TIME...RIGHT NOW IM STILL SEARCHING FOR CONNECTIONS BETWEEN KOKOPELLI(SP?) AND THE MODERN DAY ALIEN PHENOMENA THANKS FOR THE STORIES ABOUT IT THOUGH...ANY OTHER INFORMATION ON THE FAIRY TOPIC WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

VERY NICE POINTS HERE...I HAVE ALSO SEEN ARTWORKS DEPICTING THIS...AND THAT EXPRESSION I USE QUITE OFTEN...NICE TO KNOW IT MAY HAVE SOME CONNECTION HERE IN THIS THREAD...THANKS FOR MAKING THAT CONNECTION YOURSELF....AND THE ARTWORKS ARE VERY COMMON ALTHOUGH I NEVER THOUGHT THEM TO BE OF ANY SIGNIFICANCE UNTIL NOW....THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR CONCLUSION TO THAT

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousAlienResearcher

VERY TRUE...I HAVE NOTICED THIS ALSO...IN SUCH A STORY THERE IS PROOF TO THIS CLAIM ALTHOUGH HARD TO FIND....THE GROUP NAMED SKULL AND BONES IS NOTORIOUS FOR CHANGING THINGS AS SIMPLE AS SCHOOL BOOKS TO HIDE THE TRUTH OF HOW THINGS REALLY WERE IN THE PAST...THEY ARE ALSO A BIG PART OF THE POLITICAL WORLD....HILARY CLINTON, OBAMA, GEORGE BUSH SR. AND JR. ARE BOTH A PART OF THESE LOOK UP VONHELTON ON YOUTUBE ITS A CHANNEL AND HE FURTHER EXPLAINS IN DEPTH ABOUT THIS ORGANIZATION...THE VIDEO TITLE IS CALLED SKULL AND BONES....ALSO HE GOES FURTH IN DEPTH ABOUT OTHER SECRET SOCIETIES IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED

Don't get me started on the Skull and Bones people... old Prescott Sheldon Bush (the father of the 41st President of the United States George H. W. Bush and the grandfather of 43rd President George W. Bush.) was not only a member but a grave robber... FYI they stole Geronimo's (Famous Apache Chief) skull, and other items, including Geronimo's prized silver bridle, from the Apache Indian Prisoner of War Cemetery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Those items ended up in the hands of Skull and Bones...there's been a long standing legal battle between the descendants of Goyaałé, "one who yawns";(Geronimo's real name) and the Yale University's Skull and Bones org for the safe return... seems those rich white kids are using his skull in some kind of secret initiation rite...

Trust me... there isn't a Red Skin Alive who doest know all about "Skull and Bones"!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

right i knew of that...also know that they use it in some strange initiation ceremony im not sure what though...ill have to recontact my source and see about more info on that...i honestly hope the natives(i use that term loosely to pose no offense) get back what is rightfully theirs due to it being a piece of an ancestor and a major part of history as well...i find it sickening that the people who did this would think its ok...i also find it appalling that they even got away with it...ill tell you what the constitution used to say that we have the right to "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" LATER IT WAS CHANGED TO : LIFE LIBERTY AND PROPERTY......WELL IF THAT ISNT RIGHT TO PROPERTY I DONT KNOW WHAT IS...IT RIGHTFULLY BELONGS TO THE "REDSKINS" AND THERE IT SHOULD STAY!!!! THATS MY OPINION AND THE SICK BASTARDS THAT STOLE IT SHOULD ROT IN HELL FOR AN ETERNITY IN MY OPINION....oooh geting all fired up now....im going to go to my corner and cool off...lmao thanks for bringing that point out because i forgot all about that aspect of it

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join