It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you have a folklore story you would like to share?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
i am looking for people that have had stories passed down to them

any story will suffice because any story might have a connection with the proposal of aliens being here long before we were

please go ahead and share your stories and what/if any translation you can provide

is there a moral or meaning to the tale?

anything you can provide as well as within what "people" the story is told....didnt want to use a racist term here....maybe i failed at that....well anyways i think you know what i meant

how old is the story...or your best estimate

THANKS SO MUCH FOR PROVIDING YOUR STORIES WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE ANY RELEVANCE TO MY RESEARCH...SOMETIMES A GREAT STORY CAN BE INSPIRING!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I've got one. It's a local indian legend (not too local apparently because similar stories are found all over the world) about these little people called nunnapees. I'm spelling that phonetically because I don't know if there's a real spelling for it.
Anyway, they're little people who make their homes in river banks. They're usually mischievious, horribly fast, and hairy. I've met plenty of indians who swear they've seen these little guys.

There's no real moral to most of the stories, the closest thing to a moral I've heard was basically, "don't be a slob because the little people will steal your stuff."

It's just interesting because it's so widespread all over the world, and it's believed in so strongly around here.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
I've got one. It's a local indian legend (not too local apparently because similar stories are found all over the world) about these little people called nunnapees. I'm spelling that phonetically because I don't know if there's a real spelling for it.
Anyway, they're little people who make their homes in river banks. They're usually mischievious, horribly fast, and hairy. I've met plenty of indians who swear they've seen these little guys.

There's no real moral to most of the stories, the closest thing to a moral I've heard was basically, "don't be a slob because the little people will steal your stuff."

It's just interesting because it's so widespread all over the world, and it's believed in so strongly around here.

WHERE EXACTLY IS "HERE" AND FROM WHAT TRIBE/RACE OF INDIANS IS THIS FROM?

i am glad you shared this story with me and provides some insight as to the fact that many of the underground bases are near a water source whether it be nature or man made...thanks for your submission to this thread....

that is also a cute moral really....are there any actual accounts of them taking things that you know of?

and for it being so widespread i have never heard of such a story...but i guess all that means is that i need to brush up on it but i guess thats what this thread is for

also do you know where like what state/ county/ area these friends have had sightings of these creatures and if they could possibly provide a little more insight as to appearance?? like color height and that sort of thing

maybe even how they walked or habits, if any and whether or not they posed a threat???

again thanks for the story it made me smile

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
It's not really a story, but I'd like to share one of my favorite poems about the search for instant wealth. It's by Edgar Allen Poe:

Eldorado:

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.
But he grew old
This knight so bold
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
It's not really a story, but I'd like to share one of my favorite poems about the search for instant wealth. It's by Edgar Allen Poe:

Eldorado:

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.
But he grew old
This knight so bold
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

very nice...edgar allen poe was definitely a brilliant mind thanks for the post!!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymousAlienResearcher

The following wisdom was collected from the South African !Xam Bushmen (the Cape Bushmen or San) just as the language and culture was becoming extinct towards the early 20th century. It's pretty much a direct translation from the San idioms of repetition. To anyone that has been here, it evokes the vast sandy plains of the Karoo, which the !Xam (the "!" is a click sound) had defended so valiently for decades. Every time I see the rock paintings they left behind, it reminds me of this (from: www.humanistictexts.org...):

What the Wind Does After Death

"The wind does thus when we die, our (own) wind blows; for we, who are human beings, we possess wind; we make clouds, when we die. Therefore, the wind does thus when we die, the wind makes dust, because it intends to blow, taking away our footprints, with which we had walked about while we still had nothing the matter with us. And our footprints, which the wind intends to blow away, would otherwise still lie plainly visible. For, the thing would seem as if we still lived. Therefore, the winds intends to blow, taking away our footprints."

Dia!kwain, San People

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
wow very interesting...thanks for this addition to the thread....its amazing what people thought isnt it? i havent read the whole story as of yet but i am getting very tired and will finish it with a fresh mind after i awaken.....thanks again

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

It ain't so much of a story as a truism.
They were desert people who recognized each other by footprint tracks.
They saw the wind as a force to clean the tracks when somebody died, so they would know not to look for them any more.
There is also an allusion to the wind making dust (the footprints become spirits). Perhaps it's a bit similar to : "Ashes to ashes; dust to dust".

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

It ain't so much of a story as a truism.
They were desert people who recognized each other by footprint tracks.
They saw the wind as a force to clean the tracks when somebody died, so they would know not to look for them any more.
There is also an allusion to the wind making dust (the footprints become spirits). Perhaps it's a bit similar to : "Ashes to ashes; dust to dust".

VERY NICE INTERPRETATION...WOULDNT HAVE THOUGHT OF THE CONNECTION THERE...GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE MAKING MORE SENSE OF THINGS....OOPS SRY NOT MEANING TO YELL forgot caps was on...anyways i look forward to your brilliance in coming posts as well if you are interested

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well lets see..

There once was a man from Nantucket..
wait, wrong thread..

main folk tale around here is Resurrection Mary www.prairieghosts.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
ah check that french guys books jacques vallee.he joins ufo phenomenon with folklore stories.and somewhere in his books he mentions the research of a priest about these things.check scribd for more details.i would give you names of books but had a recent format and lost em.you will find excellent info in there

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I am Kokopelli,
All are Kokopelli.
There is nothing that is not Kokopelli.
I as Kokopelli am myself, in search of Kokopelli.
When Kokopelli meets Kokopelli,
Kokopelli is pleased.
All who know the mystery of Kokopelli's play,
Sense the future that is on it's way.
Listen for the simple beauty of the flute,
It hearkens the truth and enlightens the route.
Go Kokopelli!
Kokopelli.

The legend of Kokopelli (pronounced "Coke-a-pellie") is well-preserved in ancient rock carvings and paintings dating back as far as 3,000 years. His legend however, is no less popular today - having survived more than one hundred generations. Below, is a compilation of stories collected through many hours of research. Certainly, you can find more stories (and images in Art) on the World wide web.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87499ccfcaf0.gif[/atsimg]
Kokopelli, distinguished by his hunch-back, dancing pose, and flute, is the only anthropomorphic petroglyph to have a name, an identity, and an established gender. His name may have been derived from the Zuni name for god ("Koko") and the Indian name for the Desert Robber Fly ("pelli"). His association with the Desert Robber Fly may stem from the fact that this insect too, has a hump on his back and a prominent proboscis. But, Kokopelli is known by other names, as well. To the Hopi, he is known as "Kokopilau" - meaning "wood hump". To others, he is known as Kokopele, Kokopetiyot, and Olowlowishkya. He also bears a nickname - "Casanova of the Cliff Dwellers", a tribute to his image and legend. Kokopelli's lesser known female counterpart is known as "Kokopelli Mana".

Kokopelli is a prehistoric deity depicted frequently in ancient rock art, estimated to be over a thousand years old.

Found throughout the mountains, deserts, and high plains of the southwestern United States. Frequently shown as a hump-backed flute player, this mythic being has survived in recognizable form from Anasazi times to the present.

In some of our southwestern lore, when we first emerged in this world, Kokopelli was there to teach us how to live here, plant hunt and make homes.

[align=center]
The Ballad of Kokopelli
A strange lonely figure stares out of the past
where engraved by an artist in stone
Held firm by the sand in which he is cast,
these last thousand years quite alone.
Could he be listening, trying to hear
moccasins scuffing the butte?
Bringing the people once again near
to hear Kokopelli's sweet flute?

His image inscribed on a thousand rock faces
from east to the great western sea;
From Sonora's hot sun to the north glaciers bases,
proclaiming this loved tutelary.
Though powers possessed and methods employed
are often in open dispute;
One thing is agreed, the people did love
to hear Kokopelli's sweet flute.

This stick figure man, with a hump on his back
seemed always to cast a good feeling;
His magic perhaps, taken out of his pack
would comfort the sick and do healing.
Whatever his talents, they surely were grand,
a fact no one cares to refute,
As people would come from afar in the land,
to hear Kokopelli's sweet flute.

[/align=center]

this is by far the most common folklore in the Southwestern US

[edit on 10-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

[edit on 10-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
Well lets see..

wait, wrong thread..

very nice read...i bit mystifying just like the story of the ghost that was picked up in a car and the car suddenly crashed...ill see if i can find the video for it...when i do i will post it...thanks for the story!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousAlienResearcher

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
Well lets see..

wait, wrong thread..

very nice read...i bit mystifying just like the story of the ghost that was picked up in a car and the car suddenly crashed...ill see if i can find the video for it...when i do i will post it...thanks for the story!!!

here are a few different occasions: www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMSAM
ah check that french guys books jacques vallee.he joins ufo phenomenon with folklore stories.and somewhere in his books he mentions the research of a priest about these things.check scribd for more details.i would give you names of books but had a recent format and lost em.you will find excellent info in there

thanks so much for the information ill look into that

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

very very interesting...thanks for the story i am glad that you put it here...maybe this one will have a connection as well...i am going to research this one some more and see if there is an accurate interpretation of this ....just so i know for sure if what i am thinking is correct and not just my ideas.....thanks again

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Got to many from my neck of the woods, but one you might like based around the long man of Wilmington, Sussex, England (which is a couple of miles from where I live) it is unlear how old this figure is, could be at least 300 years or could be over 2,000 years old.

John Rowley's drawings of the Long Man in 1710 show more a helmeted Giant than todays one.. So the idea this is a war god seems to fit with the folklore.

The story/folklore is of Giants.. suggesting that a giant called Gill was once cut on to firle Beacon and that he was considered an adversary of the Long Man of Wilmington not far away.

According to one story, the giant on Firle Beacon threw his hammer at the Wilmington giant and killed him, and that the figure on the hillside marks the place where his body fell.

Rev A.A Evans who once said “The Giant keeps his secret and from his hillside flings out a perpetual challenge.”

I've always wondered who these Giants where, what their purpose was and why is it that most of the crop circles appear in the part of Britian that has most of the Hill Figures..

Is there a link between the 2, is it simply the artistic nature of the inhabitants, or something more..

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I think you'll find your connection with the proposal of aliens being here long before we were... fits perfectly with Kokopelli...

here you have a well known figure that dates back several thousands years has similar counter parts its in the old world and in all these stories about Kokopelli... he was here before, or led humans to this world... and is most often depicted as not human himself...

I don't know of any other lore that comes closer to screaming alien than good ole Kokopelli ...Added perk its not some obscure hardly known legend a good deal of research has been done on who or what Kokopelli is...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

thanks a lot i am finding out quite a bit of information on this topic....heres to making a "logical" connection hypothesis for those that think otherwise...

cheers!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

very nice addition to this thread....io will see if i can answer that question for you from some lore of my own that seems to fit this story....

NOTE: i am not religious in any way and though that may offend some i am NOT proposing my beliefs on anyone so please do NOT propose yours unto me...thank you

this story seems to haev some alien connection to it and i have done extensive research on this subject:
basically in the book of enoch (a part of the bible taken out by the vaticans request and later released as a book if its own to the general public) it states that there were angels that had fallen from the heavens because they decided to mate with human women put here on earth

god saw that as a sin and each child that was produced because of the fornication became a giant.

these giants were in part "devils children" and made to do the bidding of ridding the world of such evils and god let them take care of business and once god was satisfied, most were drowned in the famous flood that lasted 40 days and 40 nights...the ones that could, retreated underground and are being made to stay there until they are called upon once more

remains have been found all over the world estimating at about 60 feet tall and they are humanoid

((interesting fact considering that the draco(aliens under the supposed dulce base as well as others that are connected by tunnels and caves) may be decendents of this...reports of them are around 9 feet tall...considering years of evolution and the realization of a possible genetics lab there means its quite possible))

it is said that one day they will be set free to "purify" the earth(meaning all those not descendants of the holy bloodline will perish) "they will cross the earth in leaps and bounds killing all in their paths" it is said in the bible....re-read some things in the book of revelations and you just may see that your god is more sinister than one would originally think...

now i am not sure of the story you told me but it instantly brought back another story that is a different version of the one i just told you

instead of being angel spawn, they were aliens sent here from another planet, (most know it as nibiru or planet x) and were made to retreat underground because of a "great flood" and once the planet comes close again (suspected to happen in 2012) then the cataclysms of the earth will break them free of their underground prisons and they will wreak havoc on this planet

another popular belief is that these weer an ancient race that disappeared when atlantis did...they willingly gave knowledge to many races of people accross the world. one story is they helped build stonehenge another is they gave egyptians the ability to create things with their newly found knowledge of architecture, physics, and geometry. another is that they gave the mayans the ability to "forsee" or "prophecize" certain events in the future...once the story of atlantis was first published their city all of a sudden just disappeared...ironically it was a white man with no regard to consequence that started the story of atlantis..and some believe that since their secrecy was revealed they had to hide and therefor used their knowledge to make their whole island disappear into a place that we cant find

at any rate it seems that in a way these stories are the same....and i hope i helped you understand the "giants" part of this better or at least in a different perspective

as for the crop circles its hard to say really....just know that we are indeed not alone and there are reasons for the circles...if you know of any pictures of the ones near that site i would love to see them...sometimes there are messages that can be interpreted from them...i would love to see each one you know of and if possible there location where they once were on a map

again thanks for the story very interesting

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join