It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK nationals stopped by Iranian navy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Let us all hope that the war of words ends quickly and everyone is safe at home soon.

www.reuters.com...

TEHRAN/LONDON (Reuters) - Iran will take serious measures against five British yachtsmen detained in the Gulf if it proves they had "evil intentions," a close aide to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday.

Relations between Britain and Iran have been dogged by tension in recent years over a range of issues, from Tehran's nuclear program to Iranian allegations of British involvement in post-election violence in June this year.

Oil prices rose by more than $1 on fears of a diplomatic crisis after news of the detainment was made public on Monday.

"The judiciary will decide about the five ... naturally our measures will be hard and serious if we find out they had evil intentions," Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaie, the president's chief of staff, told the semi-official Fars news agency.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Speaking outside the Foreign Office in central London, Mr Miliband stressed that the detention of the yachtsmen had nothing to do with politics adding that he hoped it would be resolved in a "speedy and professional manner".

But acknowledging the seriousness of the situation he added: "There's obviously a very high level of concern about the five young yachtsmen and their position. It's a particularly worrying time for the families."

www.yachtingmonthly.com...

The yacht seized by the Iranian Navy - The Kingdom of Bahrain - a Pindar-sponsored Open 60 - had problems with its propellor and drifted into Iranian waters near the island of Sirri while trying to negotiate restricted area around an oil field, according to Charles Porter father of crew member Luke Porter.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I hope you're right mate.
I think you probably are but i wouldn't be surprised it we didn't see these guys for months..

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yachts do have propellers - sorry. They can be used in certain circumstances.
www.westbynorth.com...
www.yacht-designer.co.uk...

[edit on 1-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Wait a minute they are kids for gods sake. Look at thier pictures, oh sure they look like a bunch of Spies

Thats a bit ageist , the minimum age to work for the MOD intelligence officer role is 18 , I know I checked the application.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

The civilian crew were snatched six days ago after 'inadvertently' straying into Iranian waters in the Persian Gulf as they sailed their yacht from Bahrain to Dubai for the start of an international race. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... o#ixzz0YRGCAYUX

It appears that the high-tech yacht was swept towards Iran by strong winds after its propeller was damaged. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... o#ixzz0YRGMlUU4

source

I'm sure you'll tell me that everyone is lying, and that you are the in house expert on yachting, espionage et al.

perish the thought that you could be mistaken.

First the ATS Motto is to deny ignorance and not to promote it so forgive me that I feel compelled to do just that.

To sail from Bahrain to Dubai might take…2 days! Not 6.

Iran is actually on the other side of the Persian Gulf so that would be like sailing from Palm Beach Florida to Miami Florida and ending up in Bermuda. The Gilligan’s Island Crew wasn’t blown that far off course.

Yachtsmen live for strong breezes it helps them make sail and stay on course!

Propellers typically get bent and damaged from straying too close to shore and shallow waters. Propellers in yachts are for auxiliary power, typically for navigating harbors and ports till far enough out to sea to hoist sails.

It is even more suspicious that they have a damaged propeller because it would suggest they attempted to pull close to land at a non-port dock, you know like you would if you were clandestinely dropping off or picking up spies.

Finally this class of yacht is usually not rented without the boats actual captain and crew. With the boats captain and crew boats in that class would typically rent from 2,500 to 5,000 dollars a day. This is not a Jet Ski Rental we are talking about. Boats like that one are in the million dollar range so renting them without the captain and crew that knows the local waters and the ins and outs of the craft itself would mean not only a HUGE deposit having to be placed but also some HUGE CLOUT in gaining permission to take out the boat on your own with out the Captain and Crew. In other words if your name was Brad Pitt the people who owned the boat likely would not worry as long as you gave them a hefty deposit possibly totaling the entire cost of the craft, or if your name was BOND, JAMES BOND and you showed them your license to kill along with your hefty deposit or…if the boat rental company was a FRONT to begin with and run by intelligence services.

If you know anything about yacht racing (it’s a rich man’s sport few people do) or anything about hi-priced boat rentals (it’s a rich man’s privilege few people do) and anything about boat navigation (most people don’t) or anything about geography (most people don’t) this story would be as suspicious as the day is long.

However the news media knows most people don’t know these things even then they use words like ‘appeared’ or ‘civilian crew’ to lead you to conclusions they want you to in order to emotionally manipulate you.

Deny ignorance don’t propagate it. These men didn’t con their way onto an expensive yacht six days before setting out for a place that takes less than two days to sail to and just accidently end up on the opposite side of the Persian Gulf. It’s a statistical impossibility.

[edit on 1/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Clearly those people on the boat Were spies or agent provocateurs and with the Zionist and Western Propaganda War currently being waged against Iran currently it’s wise for the Iranians to pick them up and detain them and question them at length for being possible spies or terrorists.

Well let us at least consider the location, would you swim on a beach right next to an oil refinery? take a picnic right next to a jail? hike through a landfill station? No? Well sailing close to the coast of Iran is equally stupid.

Makes you wonder how many left with the boat in the first place, or perhaps is was a pickup.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Wait a minute they are kids for gods sake. Look at thier pictures, oh sure they look like a bunch of Spies

Well one of these days you simply must drive by the SAS Training Grounds in Bonnie Old Scotland and take not of the age range of most of the recruits. The Special Forces don’t recruit from retirement homes.

If your not too busy joining in with the couch potato bitter old beer gut crowd advocating for war with this country or that country you might want to actually look at the footage from one of these insane wars and realize…

KIDS FIGHT WARS, for bitter old hate filled men, and are led into battle by the KIDS THAT SURVIVED previous wars.

Half of the troops that fight in Iraq and Afghanistan for NATO and the Coalition forces aren’t even old enough to BUY A BEER in most nations.

It’s why I get so perturbed by those bitter old hate filled dysfunctional emotional rejects that froth at the mouth to promote wars that they aren’t going to have to fight themselves but our SONS and DAUGHTERS have too.

We routinely send CHILDREN into combat whose frontal lobes and ability to full reason and think logically are years away from being fully developed to fight wars over LIES propagated by bitter people twisted with hate and full of demented dreams of glory.

Yes half the crew were young Special Forces operators and half were older intelligence agents, its called brawn and brains one feeds parasitically off the other just like the sick twisted violent war mongering couch potato class feeds off of the flower of our youth to realize their greed filled visions of empire.

Please, some people really should learn to think with their minds instead of their black hearts.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Haha! Your "story" is laughable! You've lost the plot along with the regime!

Iran will "milk" any opportunity to take hostages, and release them a few weeks later to make them feel like they are in control, and make the west look weak. These regimes never learn, and they always use the same tactics, which by now we all know are pathetic.

If you bothered to research you would know that these kids have links to sailing clubs in the UK and not MI5. But I suppose you want to discard all of these facts because they don't support your pathetic fantasies.

If you feel differently, I challenge you to actually go to this region as a "real" yachtist and hope the regime's navy doesn't snatch you in international waters (never mind inside Iranian waters). I'm sure you can join your friends in the regime and share your little fantasies!

[edit on 1-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1

Yachts do have propellers - sorry. They can be used in certain circumstances.
www.westbynorth.com...
www.yacht-designer.co.uk...

[edit on 1-12-2009 by unicorn1]

Wow you looked that up on the internet, they have propellers for navigating areas where they can't use sail power.

The middle of the Persian Gulf is some place you can safely use sail power.

Yacht races are conducted under sail power. It would be immediate disqualification to use a motorized propeller during one. The propeller being bent is not an excuse for being in Iranian territorial waters, chances are the propeller got bent trying to navigate to close to shore where sails could not be used in Iranian territorial waters to pick up or drop someone off from shore.

The propeller didn't get damaged out at sea, the only thing that happens to propellers out at sea is they get fishing nets wrapped around them and someone just dives overboard with a knife and cuts the net away.

If the propeller was damaged it happened navigating to close to shore which sailboats do not do, they immediately put out into the DEEP shipping lanes to catch the winds. That's what sailboats do.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Haha! Your "story" is laughable.

Iran will "milk" any opportunity to take hostages, and release them a few weeks later to make them feel like they are in control, and make the west look weak. These regimes never learn, and they always use the same tactics, which by now we all know are pathetic.

If you bothered to research you would know that these kids have links to sailing clubs in the UK and not MI5. But I suppose you want to discard all of these facts because they don't support your pathetic fantasies.

If you feel differently, I challenge you to go to this region as a "real" yachtist and hope the regime's navy doesn't snatch you in international waters (never mind inside Iranian waters).

Ha Ha your innocense is laughable where spies are recruited is out of presitigious clubs like yacht clubs, and oar racing clubs, and top of the line universities and top of the line Gentlemen's clubs.

The fact that they have links to such places just makes them all the more likely to be spies.

What kind of history books do some of these people read, the Little Red Engine that could.

Read the histories of MI6 and the CIA and find out where spies come from.

By the way I don't see any Iranians trying to milk this story, all I see them doing is capturing six non-Iranians who had ventured into their territorial waters with a very flimsy excuse.

Imagine that, but I suppose if we caught six Iranians in a sail boat off the coast of New York City we would give them Red Cross and Coast Guard Care Packages and buy them first class tickets home after putting them up for the night in the Waldorf Astoria?

[edit on 1/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

If your not too busy joining in with the couch potato bitter old beer gut crowd advocating for war with this country or that country you might want to actually look at the footage from one of these insane wars and realize

I have never advocated war with Iran, what so ever, so your assumptions is wrong, as for the rest of this comment ralther vulgar to say the least. I work, I have children, so do not brand me with comments which you have posted. It actually shows what exactly you are. If you want to use racist words or demeaning words to try and put another member down, it will not work. Just shows what a ignorant racist person you really are.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

The fact that they have links to such places just makes them all the more likely to be spies.

Umm yes you're right, they just have to be spies even though there's a perfectly legitimate reason for them to be there without needing to be a spy.

Oh wait, now you're saying it makes it "more likely", and finally you're admitting you don't have any real substancial facts to back that up.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Ha nice try, so I guess you have now understood that recruits as young as 18 are brought into the spy trade.

As far as my post being racist you might want to reread it as their is no mention of race, just of war mongering dysfunctional people who are quick to committ Children to being murdered.

Like I said some people would be better thinking with their minds rather than their hearts.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Umm yes you're right, they just have to be spies even though there's a perfectly legitimate reason for them to be there without needing to be a spy.

Oh wait, now you're saying it makes it "more likely", and finally you're admitting you don't have any real substancial facts to back that up.

They are spies, and the fact remains that nothing you have said elliminates that they are spies.

In fact everything you say tends to support that they are spies.

It's not my fault you don't know how spies operate and are recruited.

I didn't order such an embarassingly botched mission. Take it up with Downing Street friend not me!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

By the way I don't see any Iranians trying to milk this story, all I see them doing is capturing six non-Iranians who had ventured into their territorial waters with a very flimsy excuse.

It's not actually clear yet that they actually crossed the invisible line. Wouldn't agents have more sophisticated equipment to prevent them crossing this line anyway? The regime says they are checking if the sailors have evil intentions - and you feel this isn't milking the situation.
The regime have lost the plot because this no longer makes them look strong - it only makes them look pathetic, as the world has moved on and learnt (well some of us have
).

Imagine that, but I suppose if we caught six Iranians in a sail boat off the coast of New York City we would give them Red Cross and Coast Guard Care Packages and buy them first class tickets home after putting them up for the night in the Waldorf Astoria?

No, imagine the British govt. arresting Iranian football players in London in 2014 (mistakenly?) and not releasing them for weeks.

The regime will treat them alright so they can later use it as propaganda. The cost of a bit of pampering is negligible to the regime.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

In fact everything you say tends to support that they are spies.

No it doesn't. Your only piece of evidence is that previous spies were members of sailor clubs, and not all spies either! Maybe many spies are Chelsea fans, and so does that make all Chelsea fans MI5/MI6 agents?!

It's not my fault you don't know how spies operate and are recruited.

Somehow I doubt you know any great detail of spy activity, as your "masses of knowledge" has only provided one specific link that as meaningless as linking the fact that some of the sailor kids like cheese, with some spies that like cheese.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

They are spies, and the fact remains that nothing you have said elliminates that they are spies.

Do you know how moronic & stupid it is to make a comment like that?!!

I'll try and beat it - the sailors are all lost helpers of santa claus, and the fact that you cannot disprove or eliminate the fact that Christmas is arriving soon, means that it "must be true"! There you go..... it has as many logical assertions as your claim, so you must respect it unless you wish to be branded a complete hypocrite!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just watched a interview with one of the young mens fathers, he hs stated that they are being treated well. Thank goodness for that. Lets just hope there is a speedy conclusion to this. I for one do certainly do not want, a repeat of what happened the last time.

Yachtsman seized by Iran 'coping well', says father

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If you look at the wind speeds in the Persian Gulf over the course of the last few days -- you will see that winds were down, at times non-existent -- meaning that a propeller MAY have had to have been used for navigation -- and NOT necessarily for picking up and dropping off spies on the shores of Iran.

www.windfinder.com

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
If you look at the wind speeds in the Persian Gulf over the course of the last few days -- you will see that winds were down, at times non-existent -- meaning that a propeller MAY have had to have been used for navigation -- and NOT necessarily for picking up and dropping off spies on the shores of Iran.

www.windfinder.com

How funny then isn't it that the 'official' story claims 'unusually high' winds blew them off course.

How many inconsistencies from the 'official' story and reality and facts does it take before you start to question the official story?

Once again though the only thing that would damage a propeller is running it on ground in shallow water close to shore, so what were they doing that close to shore on the opposited side of the gulf?

SPYING

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join