It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK nationals stopped by Iranian navy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

Not if there was an international yacht race taking place near by, and they were clearly in a racing yacht, and even if we did pull them in, we would settle matters well within 5 days.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by Reading

Not if there was an international yacht race taking place near by, and they were clearly in a racing yacht, and even if we did pull them in, we would settle matters well within 5 days.

we can hold people for a while for questioning, 3 months i think it is under anti terrorism laws but dont quote me on that.

i dont blame iran for questioning them, They are being bullied by the media into being the bad guys, its obvious the west wants to bomb them for some reason i just hope they dont give us the reason.

Looks like we will end up bombing some people for no good reason again pretty soon

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What a place to hold a yacht race.
A mile to far north and the Iranians get you.
Move south a mile and the Somali pirates get you.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

I understand what you are saying, but it's a little like England winning the 2014 world cup bid, and then arresting the Iranian football team for being spotted at Heathrow airport.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Clearly it is not a credible team of yachting enthusiasts or they would not have been using a rented craft.

It is highly probable they were attempting to use the race as cover and failed.

Rock Bands, and Sporting Teams often make good cover for spies as their art or sport gives them a seemingly legitimate reason to be some where or near some where and some defining identity that makes them seem like they are not a spy.

For instance Jerry Garcia and Bob Wier of the Grateful Dead have long been thought to have been either CIA or MI6.

Jerry Garcia a CIA Agent? Who would believe it, and that's what makes such covers absolutely ideal.

If it weren't a rental craft I would tend to assume a greater degree of innocense than I do presently.

Trust me no one rents the American Entry in the America's Cup!

I am by the way someone who's last name appears on quite a famous English Regatta I know a little bit about yacht racing and have been in a few as well.

These men were spies, and pretty poor yachtsmen too!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Sorry mate I think your wrong!

you haven't provided any evidence to back up your claims that these yachtsmen were spies.........why do you think that?

3 of them are only 21 years of age!.....they are kids for gods
sake!

I think you've read too much Ian Fleming!

They were in a yacht race, reports claim that they had a damaged propeller, where's the evidence that they are spies??

could you also show me where it;s stated that they "rented" the yacht?

[edit on 30/11/2009 by Argyll]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The only captured yachtsman who I can really find any info on is David Bloomer:

Irishman David Bloomer has been with Bahrain Radio and Television Corporation since the mid-'80s, starting as a newsreader then making the switch to DJ. His first shows were the Thursday and Friday breakfast, which are the least popular with the DJs, as they tend to curtail your weekend social life.

David is a fully qualified off-road driving instructor and can been seen regularly in action at off-road course at BIC. He also has years of practical off-road experience dating back to the 1970s when he first went on safari across the Sahara in a Land Rover Series III. That was the start of a life long love of off-roading which has taken him through the Amazon in Venezuela, the Namib and Kalahari deserts, the Empty Quarter in Saudi, and the remote Easter Island.

Friendship Arabia: David Bloomer

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

This is what i was thinking what kind of yachting enthusiasts hope to win the the race when they do not have access to their own boat and navigate themselves into getting captured!

Sounds like a plot from some terrible comedy film

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reading

This is what i was thinking what kind of yachting enthusiasts hope to win the the race when they do not have access to their own boat and navigate themselves into getting captured!

How many formula 1 drivers do you know that "own" their own car?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

4......... how many jockeys do you know that ''own'' their own horse?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Read the entire thread it was part of the Original Post News Article.

You did read the original post?

Before I can provide you with proof that these men were spies I will need to see your security credentials, CIA, MOSSAD, MI6?

Clearly they were Spies and Chicken Hawks at that! 3, 21 year olds straight out of the SAS! My how manly.

Yachts sail on SAILS hello! Not propellers, also yacht race courses are clearly marked and the marker bouys are not that far apart that a competenent Captain would ever loose sight of them or drift off of course, finally there are always MARSHALLS in power boats that do have propellers to come to the aide of craft off course, breaking the rules, or suffering a malfunction. There is also something called a RADIO and this little thing called an S.O.S.

The mainstream media preys on people's ignorance of some of the subtleties of life when it comes to these thinly veiled stories it tries to force feed people.

Serious yacht teams train and practice in advance and use their own boats. Courses are clearly marked, safety craft are on constant patrol, signal flags are used, laws of the race, and laws of the seas apply.

Propeller problems in a sailboat race! That's a goot one.

[edit on 30/11/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Do me a favor and find me a Formula One Car Rental Agency!

Too funny, yep we are going to drop 400,000 dollars in this engine and fine tuning it to rent it!

Sponsors own craft and hire teams they don't rent the crafts that represent millions of dollars of investment research and development and proprietary secrets.

Look I am sorry common sense doesn't come in these mainstream news media propaganda pieces but trying to out do their nonsense won't impress anyone with common sense.

You don't seem to know anything about car racing, yachting, horse racing, or spies!

I guess that just leaves the ATS Motto of denying one is ignorant in the face of their own.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Its like I said , i dont think they are spies , they are ametuer yachtsmen and whats happened is the home office has breifed them to go to this location , without them knowing they were going into iranian waters , its just to stir up further tension and the expense of 5 british nationals , the home office doesnt care about these men !

they are expendable just like ken bigley !

the home office usually brief people not to go anywhere near iran because this is the likely outcome of the situation , whereas this time , these yachtmen have been briefed to travel to these co-ordinates and have gone into iranian waters to stir up tension!

Just so we can start beef with iran and provoke them into a mistake, or simply to make them look bad in the international stage

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

To be fair that Olly Smith looks very capable of 'evil' from that that picture you showed
. Seriously though, it appears the FO is trying to keep it on the downlow. Milliband just came out and said it was a 'consular' matter which is fairly low down on the diplomatic level. When compared to what happened with the sailors, it appears a new tactic is being taken with the Iranians.

All this talk from Iran, that there could be serious consequences, is all linked to the nuclear debate. Iran does have a history of taken hostages to get their point across, such as in 79 with the American hostages from their Embassay. Hopefully this will not develop into that, but with the pressure they (Iranians) feel over their nuclear programme i would not put it past them.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

it works both ways.

Imagine if some random iranian boat came close to british or god forbid american shores

I think some of you in this thread would be playing a different tune if they did

I'm sure Iranian shipping goes in and out of many countries waters, they do have a large shipping fleet... I can't find out if they still use American waters right now - but I know they used to.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

The civilian crew were snatched six days ago after 'inadvertently' straying into Iranian waters in the Persian Gulf as they sailed their yacht from Bahrain to Dubai for the start of an international race. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... o#ixzz0YRGCAYUX

It appears that the high-tech yacht was swept towards Iran by strong winds after its propeller was damaged. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... o#ixzz0YRGMlUU4

source

I'm sure you'll tell me that everyone is lying, and that you are the in house expert on yachting, espionage et al.

perish the thought that you could be mistaken.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Wait a minute they are kids for gods sake. Look at thier pictures, oh sure they look like a bunch of Spies

An Iranian official has reportedly said "serious" measures will be taken against a UK yacht crew it if is proved they had "evil intentions".

The five Britons are being detained by the Iranian navy after their Volvo 60 yacht was stopped on 25 November.

Iran Issues Warning

No doubt they will be tortured by the Iranians.

Of railed in front of the Iranian State TV Screens, the same way they acted with those sailors.

If Iran wants some respect in this world, they are certainly going the wrong way about it.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I seriously doubt they will be tortured, what good would that do the Iranians on the World stage? And don't believe the bluster from the regime, they are very concerned about how they are percieved abroad, in particular on the nuclear issue.

But I agree that they may well be paraded on State T.V.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

One does certainly hope, they do not torture them.

One has a very bad feeling about this. I feel for their families, more than anything. The worry that they must be going through right now.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Methinks nothig will happen.

A parade on tv, a bit of a slap on the wrist and then Iran will let them go.

Iran don NOT want to look like the bad guys here, they are simply protecting their own interests.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join