It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't God heal amputees?

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

HAHAHA you dont know how close that is to the truth....or methinks you grasp more than you let on..in either case that was clever.

Off topic but when you were a kid could you imagine something and maybe more in dreams it almost felt as if it were real. For example when i was a child i could imagine so well i could literally fly around my town in my dreams and it felt as if I had direct control the same control I felt in what we term reality. And I would argue that those who had imaginary friends...it probably was very real to them...ones belief is a powerful thing, so be careful what you believe in, for you never know what your beliefs will make happen

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Because the Bible says why should he perform miracles for those who do not believe. Even if he would perform this type of miracle, there would be someone out there who would be able to explain it away.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rnbiker
Even if he would perform this type of miracle, there would be someone out there who would be able to explain it away.

Well then, if it can be explained away it wouldn't be a miracle now, would it?

Dang science always ruining the magic for the faithful.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rnbiker
Because the Bible says why should he perform miracles for those who do not believe. Even if he would perform this type of miracle, there would be someone out there who would be able to explain it away.

Wrong...sort of Saul who became Paul didnt believe one bit until his sight was restored. Sometimes miracles are needed in order to bring those from disbelief into belief some people it takes that. Now yes Jesus up until his death and resurection didnt heal any who didnt believe, but he didnt do it all the time in secret either there were many non believers watching him. he did that so they would see and change there belief, but Jesus also knew that most wouldnt, even today it is true. Science doesnt have all or any real truths for that matter. If science is true why does it keep changing and evolving. The word of god has been the same since the beginning. So yes you are i guess correct i apologize just your choice of words i get your meaning now, there would be many to TRY and explain it away but thats what the devil does. Steers people away from god.

Reminds me of Jesus's first teaching about sowing the seeds and some not growing some growing alittle and others growing beyond belief

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

HE HAS.

And in this era.

I'd have to track down the refs of the most convincing case . . . might be able to . . .

I believe it was Smith Wigglesworth who was the agent of God.

The man who came to him had a stub of a leg at the ankle. He asked Wigglesworth if God would heal him. Wigglesworth said yes and instructed him to go get a new PAIR of shoes.

The man went to the shoe store and when the clerk asked him if he could help him, he told the clerk he wanted a new PAIR of shoes. The clerk was a bit incredulous but humored the man and brought him out a new PAIR of shoes.

I think the man put the shoe on the good foot first, I'm not certain. AS THE MAN WAS PUTTING HIS STUB INTO THE OTHER NEW SHOE, A FOOT INSTANTLY GREW ONTO THE STUB. The man walked out of the shoe store on two good feet in a new PAIR of shoes.

I have also read/heard of other incidents of God healing amputees in missionary lands but I don't remember any particulars. God does a lot of things where folks are not so mentally conditioned to UNFAITH as they are in "developed" countries.

AND, GOD WILL BE doing more such dramatic things in these END TIMES. There will come a time in the not too distant future when EVERY amputee who comes to various people of God--including young children agents of God--will be totally healed.

I'm certain of that. I just don't know when such dramas will begin.

I don't remember the guy's name . . . however, my Mother's Sister married to my Dad's Brother--an Assembly of God Pastor in the Western US, they both were personal friends of the guy who could see out of his glass eye. IIRC, he could even see out of the socket.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by BO XIAN]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
god doesnt heal..because he cant..he doesnt exist. At least not the one in that book, the Bible...

That book has caused more problems than every war on the face of this earth.
Would you call that, good..a good book?

A good book is one you want to curl up with in front of a fire with munchies..

Well..of course I will be bashed for that..I expect it, Im a big girl, I can handle it.

I can also tell you..the christian god is as much a fantasy as superman.
I still see legless vets,
I still see children with cancer
I still see starving children
I still see rampant abuse
I could go on and on and on...
but why beat a dead horse...

read your..BIBLE..pray...and when you get a response..let me know.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
*rolls eyes and pats nearest Christian on the head condescendingly*

Ahh, yes. You dear little idiots. Haven't we explained this already in ten million threads? God doesn't exist and you should listen to us because we're highly successful people with BMWs in the driveway of our Swiss Chalet and PhDs behind our names. None of us eek out miserable day jobs and/or live with our parents still. We have it all together not like you dumb, violent rednecks who still believe in a God!

Why don't you go bomb an abortion clinic and fondle someone? I mean, that's what all you stupid Christians do. We atheists and pagans get to feel superior because our ideology *cough Marxism cough* was never responsible for killing 20 to 60 million people, and no pagans *cough Rome cough Sumeria cough Philistine cough Egypt cough Vikings cough ancient China cough Aztecs cough Maya* ever killed anyone and supplanted their gods and holidays with ours. We know this because we know that all important history started in eleven hundred of the common era. We know this because we're that much smarter than you dumb, violent hicks.

So please bow before our superior intellect, mature attitudes, and perfect grammar. Let us do your thinking for you because we are all intellectual giants with great jobs and respect from our community. Remember, people don't kill people, religion kills people.

Are we done yet? Seriously. Are we done? Have not these same arguments been exhausted on ten million of these threads?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

reply to post by The Motorcycle Boy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why won't God heal amputees?"

That is the question posed to those that their god heals.

All I did was repeat the question posed on the thread. Is your statement an answer or what? This statement makes no sense. "Their god?" What is "their god?" There is only one God.

This is a silly question isn't it?

Only if you think it is

No...I know it's a silly question.

We are human and therefore ruled by what it means to be human

We are ruled by whatever we allow to rule us,or is forced upon us.

NO...we are ruled by the fact that we are human. We can't change that to suit our purposes. It is what it is.

Humans are not able to regrow limbs

Can you prove this ?

This is a silly response and question. Of course it can be proven.

If God wanted us to regrow limbs, he would have made us something other than human.

Can you prove your god exists and then prove that what it may or may not want ?

My god? There is only one God and my faith is all the proof I need. God made us human. That is the answer to your question.

Why do we die, why do we grow old, get diseases, etc.......BECAUSE WE ARE HUMAN!

We do not die because of what we are, we die because of a multitude of negative effects upon the cells that we are made of.

A kangaroo does not die BECAUSE IT IS A KANGAROO.

Excuse me....why argue semantics? Humans are mortal, therefore, we die. Kangaroos are mortal, therefore, they die.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
From the Urban Dictionary: TROLLING

Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning. When done to uptight people such as fundies, this can result in hilarity.

When done to uptight people such as fundies, this can result in hilarity

So. *taps on desk* Trolling is purposefully antagonizing people, and when directed at Christian fundamentalists it is particularly hilarious.

Hmmm. That doesn't describe anyone on this thread, does it?

These arguments have ceased to be arguments. These threads have become the equivalent of running up to small children and telling them there is no Santa Claus then calling them stupid for believing in him.

If you don't believe in God at all, or the "Christian God" then the hours spent arguing the lack of existence of this "Easter Bunny-Tooth Fairy-Santa Claus" type myth makes zero logical sense, thus is it an "emotional" issue for you.

I conclude that the only reason why you would argue it is because you are trolling for a fight.

Why?

To prevent Christians from taking over the world?

I've heard this argument and in the full context of society I find it false. You can get condoms and birth control in the high schools, evolution is taught instead of creationism in 99% of our schools, the kids can't have "Christmas Parties" only Winter parties, and any creches in front of public buildings are taken down. 99% of the graduations go by without prayers and even the stores mostly say "Happy Holidays". The public schools that even attempt to do anything remotely religious outside of study it as a religion among other religions get injunctions slapped on them.

If you are going to go back in history to justify the passionate dislike that promotes threads like this, then you ought to use that brilliance many of you claim to have and look at the historical context (wars, land grabs, consolidating power, etc) you might try to fire up those brain cells enough to figure out like a good Sherlock ALL of the reasons these things happened. Do you honestly think people wouldn't try to steal land or riches without Christianity? Dig deep, lose the veil of Western Culture and look at world history before you make that argument.

Was Stalin a Christian? Did Christianity motivate him to kill millions of his own people? No. Was it "Marxism"? No. It was a thirst for power. Marxism was just used to justify it. Any intelligent person would realize that.

Did Rome conquer all the surrounding nations because their gods told them to? No, they amassed a great deal of wealth and influence. Things humans in general, atheist or religious, historically seem to like.

You are all intelligent people--well, most of you. You are choosing to hyper focus on this subject without putting things into context.

Moocow, you talked of the torture of millions who wouldn't believe and why you never want to see this happen again. Have you looked to Darfur? It's happening now, genocide. What are you doing about that?

But you have a point. The church did hideous things.

According to Jewish Historian Steven Katz, the Medieval Inquisition:

"in its entirety, the thirteenth and fourteenth century Inquisition put very few people to death and sent few people to prison; 90 percent of its sentences were canonical penances" (The Holocaust in Historical Context, 1994). He estimates that 2,000 people were killed.

The Spanish Inquisition estimates that between (secular estimates) 3,000 and 5,000 or (Catholic estimates) 2,500.

Total investigations recorded 125,000 persons. How many "burnt in effigy"? 32,000.

Burnt in effigy literally meant to have wooden statues/dolls made and thrown on a fire. People may perceive this as real people, but it is not. I will get to that in a moment.

Burning Witches

According to (Jewish and Secular scholars), the arguments by Martha Henry were exaggerated grossly (9 million). The Holocaust History organization funded research and that research estimated that the majority of persons killed during the inquisition were Jewish (see above numbers). They located records from counties, churches, and governments. According to them the English government records show that 1800 women were brought to trial by James I and 1000 executed (mostly by hanging, not by burning).

Salem Witch Trials: 19 hanged, 1 pressed to death, 13 died in prison.

Now, Christian individuals can absolutely be blamed for decimating the native populations of the Americas, but this cannot be laid at the feet of Christianity because they didn't kill them or convert them. They killed them because they wanted their land.

I would go into the crusades but they were a war and both sides had much respect for each other. King Richard and Saladin much respected each other. Everyone in these wars chose to fight in them, so...

By this I am not trying to make light of what happened. The persecutions were unjustifiable! Absolutely. It is hideous and a blotch upon Christianity for all times. I am just putting it into perspective because I think perspective is lost.

How does this compare to atheists?

Stalin believed that the revolution was ongoing and felt that purging his population of dissenters was necessary to create the perfect Soviet State. How many died, I wonder? I go with the leanest estimate of those that died directly versus died in prison. 2 million.

What about other communist regimes?

2 million N Korea
1.7 million in Africa
1.5 million in Afghanistan
1 million in Vietnam
1 million in eastern europe

I won't go into China, nor will I talk about Hitler who, yes, wasn't a Christian and believed in his own religion www.adherents.com...

Lemme see...I covered murder...what's next that ONLY Christians do....? That's right. Only Christians molest children.

Clergy abuse...using the maximum estimates (I doubled the maximum reported cases figuring this was safe as some priests were accused more than once therefore I am over estimating numbers) 4% of the Catholic Clergy were pedophiles. I cross checked this number and found in the "Registered Offenders List" this quote:

Four percent of the population suffers from sexual orientation toward children. In 1999, 93,000 kids were sexually abused. 50% of the abusers were parents of the children. 18% were relatives. This means that almost 70% of children were molested by family members, fathers, uncles, and grandfathers – males they trusted.

So it is keeping with the percentages of the general population.

My point to all of this is that the "reasons" for why Christians absolutely must be trolled by their fellow posters is because Christianity is so "evil". I won't continue to make my argument which always falls on deaf ears that a religion doesn't do anything, people do this stuff. I will just say put it into perspective. Look at your own life, look at the world around you and think.

Do your fellow posters really deserve to be trolled? Are the Christians the only examples of thought police you can think of? You don't think that every person with a dime to spend on commercials tries to tell you what to think?

All people do crappy things. But we all do good things, too. Please put things into perspective before trying to annoy the crap out of your fellow poster.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Seriously, if you all haven't realized by now, people that crave attention make a statement they know will suck in those that will give them attention. Those that want to say there is no God are looking for attention. They are craving it. Otherwise they would focus on worth while discussions but they return to this same topic and continue to get others to jack up their stats/repeat the same lines read a 1000+ times before.

STOP FEEDING THEM

Who cares if someone wants to believe in a God, several gods, no gods or gods that exist only in their own "world"? What does anyone gain by asking those with faith to prove to those that don't to have their God, gods to make legs grow, make dogs speak, someone fly or some other idiotic "request"? That is just complete ignorant meaning you don't understand their faith if you are asking for that kind of "proof". Faith is the absence of proof! And to those that think you are going to convenience those that lack faith that there is a God or gods by replying to their request for attention are just as guilty.

If those that don't believe are right and there is/are no God or gods, then great, they are safe. If they are wrong, it won't matter because the God or gods will deal with it. Either way, stop feeding those trying to prove there is no God or gods. It's a pointless pursuit!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
why dont we then implement some sort of thought police system where there are them that say what to think and what to not ?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
why dont we then implement some sort of thought police system where there are them that say what to think and what to not ?

We already have that. It's called peer pressure

I don't think we need to censor anything, but I do think that all of these trolling threads should be relegated to BTS OR condensed into a single thread since they all say the same thing.

Here are two classics:

Originally posted by MrDudle
Maybe he doesn't do miracles because you touch yourself at night. On a serious note, god doesn't exist, nor is there any intrinsic value in anything. And if you are telling us that by saying god doesn't exist that means we are polluting your thread then you are just closed minded!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAWR I R MAD!!!!!!!!!!! Nah...basically dude/dudette you asked for thoughts. We give thoughts. If you don't like our thoughts then I suggest leaving?

and another goodie

Originally posted by flylead
God is so sacred.....He calls on his celebate priests to go and nonse kids does he ????
How can anyone believe in religion when priests molest kids.....says it all.....even priests must know deep down its all bollocks....there aint no jesus....if there was he would probably be touching the kids too.....dirty religious bastards

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What experiments have been done with amputees and prayer?

Before we say it doesn't work, what controlled experiments with restoring the limbs of amputees have been done?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
A persons total being does not only consist of a body. It also consists of a spirit and a soul. The spirit and soul can be healed, but the body always dies.
I guess simple minded people always see things, well... simple.

That's not cool. I liked a lot of your posts until this namecalling one.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

what on earth as jesus to do with christianity a religion/belif that pre dates the fellow by 2-400 years

John 1:1-18, I admit it's a little confusing, but reading slowly and re-reading helps bring a lot of it to light. Acts 11:26 is where the word Christian is first used Biblically.

ooh i got it martydom , he made a "sokrates" for some reason (cough cough)

Nah, martyrdom has been around long before and after Jesus' time on earth. Interesting still how his was the most important though.

but still putting faith in heus over god is iconic worship and as i recall the christian god does not favour that...

A good thing I don't put faith in zeus over God then.

so how can you go against gods will and be friend with him at the same time ?

You cannot.

isnt that hypocritical/delutional

It would be if this were the case.

and as for easter and xmass ,

I do not celebrate oester/easter/ishtar. Nor do I celebrate x. I do however celebrate the birth and resurrection of Christ however because Christ is of God.

the 100 days inbetween your not sepossed to "feast" on is st nickelodionism worship something that to goes againts the christian god..

You've lost me here, is there some scriptural reference I'm missing?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
God created everything but he cannot create a limb for an amputee..

Sure He can.

Jesus healed but it was just a one off at that time?

Nah, Christ is still healing.

sick deformed babies glorify god? people in hardship glorify god?

What do you think? I can tell you there was a time when there were no sick deformed babies and no hardship, but we as humans did not like the arrangement.

Must be easy for you to say, you are not deformed and have a roof over your head.

In additions to the trials I'd mentioned previously, I almost lost my life, my roof and my loved one (two out of three at once) not too many years ago. Surely we've all lost family at some time and will be losing more in the future. All of us get a taste of Hell here one way or another, if not now then later on in life.

Mybe you would think less of god's glory if you were in an african desert sitting in a patch of dirt, covered in flies, emaciated and puking blood.

Hearing these words makes me want to become a missionary. Although I work in healthcare, I often wonder what more I could/should be doing. It's clear you have a very compassionate heart...ever wonder where that comes from?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
God helps those who help themselves.

Hmm..my Bible doesn't say that. What verse is it?

Originally posted by Izarith
Us with all our limbs are the idiots who can't see amputees for the great whole they truly are.

Although I appreciate the spirit of the post, "we're" backsliding into calling ourselves idiots.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
If a person is helping his/herself why would they need God to help?

This sounds familiar. Ah, here it is:

"On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." - Matthew 9:12

Interesting to note the relevancy. Jesus didn't say "don't go to a doctor" here. I wonder why...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yurieal
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

He is able, therefore (but this line of assumption) He is omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

In our judgement of God, many of us may think He is evil, however not knowing/seeing God, we are unable to judge fairly. God knows what is Good and what is Good is done by God.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Psalm 73:7
Matthew 5:37
Matthew 13:19
Luke 11:24

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

quote by Epicurus

A good thing that He is neither able nor willing.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori
*rolls eyes and pats nearest Christian on the head condescendingly*

Ahh, yes. You dear little idiots.

Making these kinds of remarks, I cannot help but wonder why you bother posting. That moment of wondering has now left me. Moving on to the next poster who knows how to treat community members with the dignity and respect that should be innate towards other human beings.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join