It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will my country ever cease its racism against our indigenous people?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Here is my two cents.

Firstly, the treatment of that boy is absolutely shocking.

Secondly - Australia has a shameful history of how it has treated the Aboriginal people and I can't see that treatment changing.

Thirdly, NZ has a shameful history of how it has treated the Maori, but at least we are trying to make up for it now - and have been for many years.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Wow, now that surprised me! Thanks for posting this

Here's a link from WA today regarding the boy who took the stolen chocolate.

WA Today

This is definitely wrong, look carefully at the comment about children..

He said charges against juveniles as young as 12 were only laid as a last resort. "It's not about the value, it's about stopping children from offending," he said.

Interesting also is the new stop and search law they want in..
WA Today

"When you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or from Afghanistan, they will stop you. If you are attractive and wear a mini-skirt - they won't," Mr Stow said.

Thats a strange comment, whats with police and mini-skirts?

Anyway, just saying that it may not just be about racism. There could be more to it. I will be watching this carefully.

I am from the Territory and grew up with Aboriginals, for me racism has never left Australia, it is still here live and well. I know it and I still see it today.

We might want to bring to the table that there is racism and there is prejudice. Let's hope this thread stays friendly

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I would like to know this - where are all the child help services in this?

This horrible and hurtful farce should end immediately.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Well now I'm confused, my understanding is ancestors and deceased family are never mentioned once they have died, that's why they put up the notice at the start of shows depicting images or speak of deceased aboriginals.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Good question, most probably remove him from his family and place him under foster care.

I imagine there would be a fuss over such a thing too...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yes, and sadly it would not help him.

Where are the human rights campaigners?

I cannot believe this.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Well that happened to good friends that are not Aboriginals by a simple accusation from childcare service workers. No one is making a fuss over it because its not allowed in the media and they have been paying tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees but thats another story.

You say you can understand what the Aboriginals have gone through but you refuse like many to see the real cause of the problem.

Intergenerational Trauma & Healing

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stanislas

I don't think it's a matter of refusing to see the real problem, without walking in their shoes people can't relate to the trauma alluded to in the video.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I don't think it's a matter of refusing to see the real problem, without walking in their shoes people can't relate to the trauma alluded to in the video.

I am a little surprised by your response as you and I know well that we cannot walk in their shoes to experience this trauma. Joe is a psychiatrist and I don't know much about him. However, what he says is pretty much what I have been thinking all along. Maybe if you haven't already please watch part 1 and 2.

Anyway, I think I might be getting off topic.
Its really about a 12 year old Aboriginal boy arrested for accepting a 70c stolen chocolate and whether this action is racist?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I may need to watch both parts, agreed.

And yes we probably are diverting the topic slightly

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
That said - I'll also be real honest here: I don't think that some members/elements of my own race/culture do us any favours.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I can appreciate that thought, but what makes the entire thing extremely unfair and "racist" is when an entire group of people is held accountable for the actions of a few.

Being a WASP, I have no personal experience in that situation. It isn't like every time some middle aged white guy is found guilty of something, I feel like all middle aged white guys are held accountable for it.

It will be really great if we can reach a point someday where a person's actions are reflective of only himself and not every member of whatever group he happens to belong to by accident of birth.

I strongly believe in personal accountability, but view it as a two-way street. Maybe once we as a society start viewing actions as individual, individuals will start accepting more responsibility. Maybe not, but at least at that point we won't be so hypocritical about expecting personal responsibility while simultaneously assigning responsibility to an entire cultural group.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

There is, but it's not very spoken. Most people who don't like indians have a silent disgust of them. It's not because of their color or heritage though, it's because of the way they live and the fact that they (generalization) don't pay their water bills and/or taxes.

I grew up with an indian family and a white family so I see both sides of it lol.

I always hate hearing about abrigionies (spelling sucks) being discriminated against, not that I'm saying that's what happened in this story, but they have such a beautiful history and religion ect. It's a shame that that all gets overlooked because of petty racisism.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Its not white guilt but more so representative of Anglo Saxon history and TPTB's inherent system of haves and have nots.

It is especially Interesting looking at Australia, in that the original immigrants from Britain were convicts themselves, many of which were simply debtors/prostitutes and guilty of other petty crimes and resultingly cast as "undesireables" in British society.

Now today, Non whites in this society, (insert your favorite non white racial group here) naturally start at the lower rungs of the social economic ladder and have historically been cast into poverty which breeds all of these social-economic problems.

Articles such as this are publicized by the MSM purposely by TPTB to demonstrate and exemplify to the masses the have nots inferiority to whites.

This works ideally in perpetuating the "We are better than Them" schism in society, historically used by TPTB to maintain a system of control over it's people.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by nh_ee]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Call me crazy, but I think for petty crimes corporal punishment worked the best, we went crazy in the States when they Caned that kid for Graffiti in Singapore, but I bet that worked 10x better... in regards to him not doing it again...

Give that guy with the coolest creepy cat avatar a star.

Corporal punishment would take care of a lot of the problem children that think a short stint in juvie or a night in the lockup is some kind of badge of pride or makes them "cool"

If the judge had the option of whipping somebodys ass then things would be a lot more interesting.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Against a freddo bar? there like 10 freakin p wft you cant charge someone for that its insane

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Same thing's happening with the indigenous people of my country - England! Seems it isn't a race thing, but rather a worldwide drive to oppress the indigenous people of any country. Why? To destroy their heritage of course - it's the only way we'll accept a new world order with entirely new values.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I would say ,about the same thing happened here in the good ole USA when we slaughtered millions of indians to take their land ,The early settlers put them on reservations later on and basically starved them to death and wondered why a few of them stole food...then they were slaughtered again and again through out history because they were "savages" hmmm...most Indians lived in peace amongst each other...yes they had their squabbles but nothing like what happened to them when their land was invaded....I kinda wish they would have banded together in the beginning and slaughtered the settlers....I wonder how history would have prevailed if that would have happened

I also think everyone has been guilty of taking something that was not theirs when they were a kid...I got a good spankin a few times growing up...I turned out pretty bad though...I dont drink, or do drugs,
commit crimes, hurt people for no reason,love my wife and kids,friends and family....damn who would have thought I would have turned out this way after getting a few spankings!!

So have a talk with the kid see if he knew the stuff was stolen ,if he did let his father give him a spanking and tell him not to do it again...if he didnt know it was stolen tell him to be more careful when recieving gifts from friends NUFF said

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
quite a topic....... i live in such a place where racism is daily part of life.
BTW puting a kid in jail for possession of stolen candy....!!! bad .... a slap instead would have done better.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
Against a freddo bar? there like 10 freakin p wft you cant charge someone for that its insane

Being Canadian, and white, I think in that context, but what I observe in the judiciary here is an increasing amount of justice being handed back to First Nations communities and healing circles. Throwing anybody in jail for minor crime is not necessarily in the best interests of the individual or society at large. Doing time in the white man's lockup along with an inordinately large percentage of Indians in the same boat just seems to compound the problems.

I like the concept of being answerable to your community and your peers...and if public shaming and a healing process through family and friends does the trick...everyone is better off.

Education, health care and good leadership are the only answers I can see to the whole dilemma.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I can appreciate that thought, but what makes the entire thing extremely unfair and "racist" is when an entire group of people is held accountable for the actions of a few.

It is also extremely unfair to label an entire group of people racist because of what a few people do, say, or think.

Purely as a white man, I owe no one an apology. I have not engaged in racist behavior, discrimination, or harassment.

Just as an ambiguous group cannot be judged on the actions of a few, entire countries, or systems cannot be considered racist for equally selective reasons.

People are racist, not countries. In the U.S., no one seems to grasp this. We pass extraneous laws to make us 'equal' and they do nothing more than perpetuate racism. We are trying to change the country without the changing people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join