It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will my country ever cease its racism against our indigenous people?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

A 12-year-old boy will fight charges that he received a chocolate Freddo frog allegedly stolen from a supermarket in regional Western Australia.

A lawyer for the boy, who appeared in Northam Children's Court on Monday, said he would plead not guilty to the two charges of receiving, which carry similar penalties to those of theft.

The boy is alleged to have received the chocolate from a friend who had stolen it from a supermarket and to have received a novelty sign stolen from another store..

news.ninemsn.com.au...

So our law enforcement deems it fit to arrest a child and incacerate him in prison cell for receiving a 70 CENT CHOCOLATE, that he did not steal himself.
The charge is receiving stolen goods.
The concept that teaching a child a 'lesson' by mentally and physically frightening him to this level is horrendous, all for a 70 cent chocolate.
I am 100% sure had this boy been not aboriginal, and from a middle class family, this would not have happened, and had it, there would be people in the streets marching by now.

He said when arrested, he had been apprehended at school and imprisoned for several hours in a holding cell at the local police station. "The conditions in those cells are appalling and completely ill-equipped to hold young children," he said.

There has been a Royal Commission set up to investigate the disproportionate number of indigenous Australians that have died in jail compared to other ethnicities. So we spend millions on investigative commissions to see why our indigenous brethren are dying in jails, and yet we allow a 12 year old child to be thrown in jail for a chocolate?

A beautiful 60 000 year of society existed and flourished until we showed up and dessimated them, and then we complain that they drink or steal....Gaaahhh, sorry Im ranting, jailing a child upsets me.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I get the feeling there is more to this story than meets the eye...

A WA police spokesman said it was appropriate to have the court deal with the boy, because police have been forced to speak to him about other matters previously.

[SNIP]

WA Police in dealing with juveniles employed a number of diversionary tactics to direct people away from the courts,” he said. This included informal and formal cautions and juvenile justice teams.
“When they don’t work it’s entirely appropriate that we escalate matters to the Children Court.” *

I'm not condoning locking the kid up but it would seem it may have been a necessary escalation based on current information...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

No Way Chaddy.

A child? for a chocolate?
a little disproportionate methinks
I dont care what they say he's done before. You dont throw a child in jail.
He is in court for those crimes committed, and address them. The poverty cycle indigenous people are caught in is our fault. I know there will people be spewing venom at that, but it is. They functioned for 60 000 years, and we stole their identity.

Seriously, a white middle class kid, never would have happened.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I did say I didn't condone it.

But on the flipside, I have seen these little bastards, white, black or otherwise in action, Like that group of teens who bashed a family because they didn't have a cigarette to give them:

www.cairns.com.au...

14-16 year olds

Face it, kids don't have respect anymore

Blame the parents I say.

[edit on 16/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I'm sure their have been many other incidents as trivial as this that have flown underneath the radar over the years; that have happened to non-indigenous peoples.
Indigenous peoples are in a situation where they need to be more critical of their own behavior within the communities they reside.
I got in a lot of trouble when I was young; as my mother said I was fraternizing with a bad influence. I slowly learned the old adage: " when you play in mud, you get splashed".

Easily said and derogatory to indigenous people I can for-see you saying??!!
Well; we are all in this situation together (unfortunate its taken some much longer to work this out).
In this time we all have a greater responsibility to ourselves.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Hey I know that kids are little brats nowadays, and I agree with you, but I just want to focus on the imprisonment of a indigenous child for receiving a 70 cent chocolate.

There is no excuse they can give me that I find acceptable for this.
Edit to add, I do believe there are racist motivations behind this action.
And I starred you both anyway, cause I m that kinda girl

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

Hey I know that kids are little brats nowadays, and I agree with you, but I just want to focus on the imprisonment of a indigenous child for receiving a 70 cent chocolate.

There is no excuse they can give me that I find acceptable for this.
Edit to add, I do believe there are racist motivations behind this action.
And I starred you both anyway, cause I m that kinda girl

it's a shame that still seems so commonplace in Australia. my best friend is Aboriginal and they seem to get the short end of the stick in everything. Native Americans don't have the best time on the res, but there isn't really a lot of hatred towards them these days, I don't think.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

The poverty cycle indigenous people are caught in is our fault.

I have to say that it certainly isn't my fault.

An example is the recent uproar over the disgusting conditions a few Aboriginal communities were living in, the government copped it hard from the media, saying the should spend more money on them etc etc.

If they were talking about a zoo, where the animals can't look after themselves, I would agree but last time I checked, these communities were full of adult humans, not animals. So why is it the governments or taxpayers fault?

Did the government make them burn all the furniture so they have nowhere to sleep? Did the government make them kick holes in the walls where a child stuck their hand in and got electrocuted? Did the government make them spend all their money on alcohol instead of food? Did the government make the men rape their children?

No.

Broad generalizations I know but so is the assumption that somehow us whiteys are responsible for their actions.

Sorry for the rant, I could go on big time...but I won't.

PS. Zazzy I wasn't having a go at you, the subject is a touchy one for me since I spent a year in Fitzroy Crossing, where as you know a lot of the above things and more went down...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

The poverty cycle indigenous people are caught in is our fault.

I have to say that it certainly isn't my fault.

An example is the recent uproar over the disgusting conditions a few Aboriginal communities were living in, the government copped it hard from the media, saying the should spend more money on them etc etc.

If they were talking about a zoo, where the animals can't look after themselves, I would agree but last time I checked, these communities were full of adult humans, not animals. So why is it the governments or taxpayers fault?

Did the government make them burn all the furniture so they have nowhere to sleep? Did the government make them kick holes in the walls where a child stuck their hand in and got electrocuted? Did the government make them spend all their money on alcohol instead of food? Did the government make the men rape their children?

No.

Broad generalizations I know but so is the assumption that somehow us whiteys are responsible for their actions.

Sorry for the rant, I could go on big time...but I won't.

PS. Zazzy I wasn't having a go at you, the subject is a touchy one for me since I spent a year in Fitzroy Crossing, where as you know a lot of the above things and more went down...

It's not the fault of White People collectively, it is the fault of English colonialists from about 1780 to 1970, and the people who sympathized with their atrocities.

They're all but destroyed what was an amazing ancient and spiritually advanced culture.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
...eeek...

...I'm really - really - hoping this thread doesn't descend into a racial slanging match as many others have done before.

I'm not an Aborigine from Australia - I am however a Maori from New Zealand...so in some ways have more than a passing knowledge and direct life experience in regards to racism within society and its various sectors.

That said - very few things are simply (excuse the pun) black or white...instead they are more often shades of grey.

My own country certainly has racial elements within it, certainly has racially loaded slanting within the media, within many different facets of our society. There are certainly elements of stigma and discrimination associated with being brown.

That said - I'll also be real honest here: I don't think that some members/elements of my own race/culture do us any favours.
Ultimately regardless of the slanting that may exist - if it wasn't for the wealth of available *ammo* to load the guns of racial slanting that is provided by some elements of my own culture then we wouldn't be getting shot down as much.

As alluded to within a previous reply, WE also need to collectively shoulder some responsibility for how our respective cultures are portrayed.
If its a Maori our there robbing someone, or beating down someone, or in the media for some crime, or taking up space in the Social Welfare line...then absolutely that tends to shine a bad light upon us all as a collective culture.

Thats how it is. We all know that.

We can point the finger of blame at the media or at the Police or everyone and anyone else - but the simple fact is if there were a darn sight LESS of us out there providing those 'bad examples' (and absolutely there are GOOD examples which aren't so publicised) then those more 'racially slanted/focussed' sectors of our society would have a lot LESS chances to put the boot in.

Add to the mix some elements of our society that - IMO - cause a greater disservice to us all by being far too PC about things.
Sometimes a spade is a spade is a spade...NOT a manually activated earth relocation impliment.

There are certainly - IMO - examples where over leniency is shown. A recent example of that is one of our Maori MPs...a Mr Hone Harawira...running off at the mouth a little bit too colourfully. I totally AGREE with my Non-Maori friends who say "Ya know, if one of us said what he said, we'd be hung drawn and quartered"

...when *people* are out to paint you badly, best thing to do is not to provide them with paint...

Peace.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by alien]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The laws are stupid period and the same junk goes on here, like one story i remember from cali a guy who went to jail for his 3rd strike on a stolen piece of pizza... Jail for LIFE, for a piece of PIZZA.

Mandatory sentences and minimums is insane, at least prior to these moronic laws a judge could simply throw this kind of nonsense out... Now eve a Judge with a heart basically has little choice but to throw away the keys to your cell...

Call me crazy, but I think for petty crimes corporal punishment worked the best, we went crazy in the States when they Caned that kid for Graffiti in Singapore, but I bet that worked 10x better... in regards to him not doing it again...

I just can't see prison working for many behaviors... it's expensive to the rest of us tax wise, it's basically crime school, it doesn't just hurt the person but their family as well and if your not an actual danger I'm just not sure it actually works or serves any good...

Your prone to mild criminal behavior and petty theft or acting out in manners that haven't caused any serious physical harm like hospitalization etc, etc...

And the help given is to dunk you in with psychopaths and career criminals...

Totally moronic...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

CHaddy of cource I dont mean you.
But I do mean the collective history, and the continued collective ignorance behind the violation of their soverinty, culture and clans.

Their societies functioned through passed down practices and beliefs for so long, and colonial invasion dessimated this, we continue to tell them they are "aboriginal" but deny them the existence eand complexities that provided their identity for 60 000 years.

Indigenous culture doesnt have time differentials with ancestors that we have, what happened to their ancestors, happens in a way to the living. The slaughter, usurping of traditional lands, arsenic poisonings, mass rapes, introduction of syphlis, introduction of alcohol ( they have no genetic predispostion to process either of the last two introduced points) and so on....
We cant "make them white" so they fit in with our social sensibilities, and yet we deny them how to be themselves via the above violations.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The white race has always been able to justify the dehumanization of people that are of a different race and culture than their own..... It is pretty obvious if you think about all of the weapons of war that have developed to be used on people that are still being killed in their native lands for resources that benefit wealthy white people..... Hell yes it is racism that allows injustice for non white people to be commonplace worldwide.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Thanks for your reply Alien, I too hope it doesnt turn into a slanging match, but I will defend children from any culture. Besides Chaddy and I would never get into a WWWF rumble, we can debate amicably, Ill just box him up on email

That said - I'll also be real honest here: I don't think that some members/elements of my own race/culture do us any favours.

I can say the same for the white teen junkies in the next suburb to me.
Or the teens from any cultural background including anglo saxon.

None of us get it down pat with certain groups of our kids, that said, I do feel that when its an indigenous kid, they get "the black kid or the Abo brat"
as opposed to just the 'brat'.....

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Careful folks this is turning into a thread derogatory to whites; Ahhh thats right, I forgot, thats O.K. LOL. xxxxx

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I agree, the English colonizing the world destroyed or ruined many cultures, if it wasn't taking their land, it was diseases which they had no immunity to.

I can sympathise with this. But the past is the past.

I can also sympathise that Aboriginal children in general, do do it tough, extremely tough.

As I mentioned above, I lived in Fitzroy Crossing, those news articles are just a hint of the crap that went on up there.

The stories I got told from friends who worked at the hospital and school as well as things I saw myself opened my eyes right up.

And from the outside looking in I can see why people blame the government for these things but at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for themselves and their own.

Sorry for getting off track, I do believe the freddo incident does have an ingrained and underlying racial slant to it, just maybe the court wants to scare the criminality out of the boy at a young age...?

[edit on 16/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
Careful folks this is turning into a thread derogatory to whites; Ahhh thats right, I forgot, thats O.
K. LOL. xxxxx

Oi Kris

Meeeahh no its not, listing facts of violations, isn't done with the intent to be racist against white people (well by me I can assure you of that). These are not debatable facts, they happened

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I can sympathise with this. But the past is the past.

See Chadster, this is the point that most miss with Indigenous people, the past is not the past for them
Their dreamtime is ever present.
Their ancestors, it makes no difference if it was a grandmother or a great great great grandmother. Ancestors are a sacred part of their culture, and still present in their current identity. As an example, the blowing of ochre over hands in caves next to tens of thousands year old hand prints is still practiced as the white historical "timeliine " doesnt really exist, they are part of the same ancestral story.
This "past" concept is our perception.

Up till the 80's we were still messing with them massivley, 30 years isnt enough time "to just get over it" and assimilate to our way.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Oi Oi Oi: Skins........Just kidding!
You start a thread like this and then throw the "Oi" word???

Seriously though, does anyone really expect the laws we have to do anything, but help the rich and lay the boot into those on struggle street?
Even those that struggle to grasp the societies values ( and yes; that crap is forced on all of us).
Admittedly though, as with subsequent generations; whites are conditioned more to this; due to this fact.
I don't claim to know the answer for indigenous folk, I cant get my head around wondering about all of us against the devil-slave masters. I suppose thats why we are here on ATS.xxx

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I agree that the methods used were disproportionate to the nature of the suspected crime and the age of the subject. However, this is a clear-cut example of a person appealing to the "white guilt" mentality.

You are right: if it was a white child, there would have been a lot more noise. But let's consider why this is the case. Instead of preaching that the country has a racism problem - or not enough respect for indigenous people, why don't we use logic to work out why. Could it be that non-aboriginal parents are generally more responsible and less likely to neglect their children than Aboriginal parents? We all know that lack of parental guidance is likely to result in involvement in crime and violence.

I am not saying that Aboriginal parents have these negative qualities because they are Aboriginal. The colour of one's skin, the religion they follow, their sexual orientation, their ethnicity does not determine their character or worth as human beings. But it is the actions and indeed inactions of certain peoples that do explain to some extent why these people are suffering.

[edit on 16/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join