It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The French Foreign Legion back in the action:- Befriend the Afghans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Ah the French Foreign Legion the most underrated Fighting force in the world.
Due in part to its reputation for enlisting the so-called miscreants of society in to a ragtag "Dirty Dozen" type Unit.
Though dont let that fool you. Training is indeed brutal and intense and not to mention the language variant in it that can make the toughest of men fall in a crumbling mess if the correct diction and pronunciation is not adhered to when speaking in French to the Sergeant Chef.

French Foreign Legion, steeled in far-flung wars, gets new mission: Befriend the Afghans By ALFRED de MONTESQUIOU , Associated Press Last update: November 15, 2009 - 3:36 AM TORA, Afghanistan - As soon as the French Foreign Legion moved in this summer, some of the men climbed on the roof of the base headquarters and painted the force's Latin motto in big white letters. "Legio Patria Nostra." The legion is our Homeland

www.startribune.com...

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Vive Legion Entrangere!! One of the most under-rated outfits on the planet.
Also one of the most under-reported on...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Hmm, I'm questioning the wisdom of sending the Legion to befriend anyone

In my teens, I knew an English man who had joined them. He'd then gone AWOL almost as soon as he completed the training. Wow, he was some hardcore nutcase too. He tried to kill himself on 2 occasions that I know of & I heard that he'd died in a car crash in the end, so perhaps he succeeded.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
there was a documentary about the FL in the UK a few years ago, i'll try track it down, all i rember is them being burried up to their necks in sand and being left in the middle of the desert.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The french foreign legion, Top dogs very impressive outfit from what i can gleam from media, A bit camera shy most of them probably due to their former vocations

I heard after Operation desert storm they gave General Schwartscof their private mobile number and said anytime anyplace ring them and they will come and pull him out,

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
UH Ho...is history repeating itself with a cast of new characters??

remember the poem then the movie about the 'Light Brigade'...
Now the FFL will replace the Brits as the group to be nassacred...

The Khyber Pass, (also spelled Khaiber or Khaybar; ... (altitude: 1,070 m or 3,510 ft) is a mountain pass that links Pakistan and Afghanistan...

The 'Pass' is not too far west of Jalalabad in a direct line to Peshawar to Islamabad, see maps & images at en.wikipedia.org...:Afghanistan_Map,_Khyber_Pass_Marked.jpg

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The FFL is the most disciplined and admired Fighting Force on the planet Due in part to its selfless "March or Die" motto attitude in achieving any goal possible.
They are what the Advertising companys envisionage as an understanding as whats psossible and go and do it without any fuss and bother Like someone would go to the corner shop and get a litre of Milk yeah.
I tip my Kepi Blanche to these Men of valor.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I was doing some research on this subject and it seems that some join the legion to "forget", like in this film: www.youtube.com...

It certainly would do that I would think.

top topics

join