It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who have served ... you're not all heroes

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala
Pls share with us what you want to be when you grow up, so your readers can clue you in about the truth of the profession you aspire to achieve.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Evisscerator

Just like the revolutionary war huh? Where everyone that fought was a died in the wool regimented soldier? WRONG! They were regular Americans who rose up in defense of freedom and a tyrannical British government. You seem to think the US military was invented and operates in a vacuum like everyone else. Where do you think most of the technology that is developed comes from? Boeing, Lockheed, those are all PRIVATE COMPANIES made up of PRIVATE CITIZENS! So it's silly to say the US military would be the ones fighting off a foreign invasion. NO IT WOULD BE AMERICANS, ALL OF US rising up to fight off a foreign enemy. And you know what.......if America was invaded right now the US military is stretched so thin it would be the nonuinformed draftees that would be responsible for saving this country. Who the hell do you think won WWII and fought in Vietnam? CAREER SOLDIERS? NO! It was the same people the gung ho gi joe crowd is lambasting in this thread. WWII was won because the average American was drafted, trained and sent off to war.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glencairn

Originally posted by rainfall

To use that word 'hero' on any military personnel today is a disgrace...the word I use is' terrorist.''

My husband was reading over my shoulder and he made a kind of scoffing noise at your post

How would you feel if China or Russia decided that they needed to preemptively strike the U.S. because they 'thought' we could possibly become a threat in the future? If foreign troops were on U.S. soil killing innocent people...wouldn't you think THEY were terrorists?

Well that's how most of the intelligent free thinking people around the world view the foreign troops who are illegally occupying Iraq and Afghanistan, killing, torturing and raping innocent people...I've seen some videos where they are doing it for 'fun.'

This, to me, sure fits the definition of a terrorist...

Hope this makes sense to you.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think the responses to this post are interesting. The very simple truth of the matter is that all who have served are not heroes. Some are rapists, some are cowards, some are criminals, etc. Serving in the US military does NOT set a person apart and above everyone else as a "hero" to their country.

On the other hand, some ARE heroes. They go above and beyond, they respect other people and they do their very best to protect and honor the Constitution.

I don't understand the response to this simple statement of truth. There are heroes in all walks of life and the military is no different.

Putting on a military uniform does not transform a person into a hero. Serving with dignity, honor and courage does. And in the military, we have both.

It seems that the very MENTION of this fact has people ready to spit and swear in the soldiers' defense, when no one is attacking soldiers. I find this blind allegiance very interesting as a study of human nature.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Nurses and Doctors are NOT heroes!

Perhaps you would care to look up the Royal Red Cross

While the likes of Surgeon Major James Henry Reynolds got a Victoria Cross for his work on the wounded while under heavy fire..

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'd like to add............Americans are increasingly becoming disconnected from their country. Less and less people have a "stake" in this great country. What I mean is that the WWII generation had A LOT to fight for back then. It was much easier to own property, to own a business i.e. there was much more for the individual to fight for. How many Americans really truly feel that way nowadays? I think that's why you see the responses you do in this thread. As the American middle class is destroyed.......people become more and more disenfranchised. Less and less people really own anything nowadays. The fruits of WWII and the economic prosperity that followed was felt by EVERYONE! Contrast that with the type of economy, government and country we find ourselves in nowadays where WallStreet (the ones who REALLY benefit from war) could give a # about mainstreet. Yet mainstreet is the one sending their sons and daughters off to die. The rich are getting richer, the middle class is being decimated. So is it no wonder why there is so much cynicism regarding US foreign policy and the US military these days?

It's the middle class who's dying over in Afghanistan not the Bush daughters or the Obama daughters or the Harvard and Yale graduates or the long list of American elites.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I am tired of hearing people bash Soldiers. They ARE what makes America Great! I support the American Soldiers and I did during the last administration - I did not support the Administration though. I support are troops now - and I still think our administration is corrupt and doesn't deserve support but OUR TROOPS DO. Also, when I say I support our troops - I don't support those troops at the TOP - at least most of them - because all they care about is what corporation will hire them after they leave the military and make their decisions based on supporting corporations and NOT Our Troops.

It is the people at the Top that are the problem - not the every day working guy.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Oh brother............
I'm talking ON AVERAGE! The AVERAGE nurse i.e. I do not consider a hero. Sorry. Do you consider the essence of nursing or medicine in some way heroic? I mean my god we can find something "Heroic" in just about every profession. I'm sure there is something heroic about Brad Pitt and his acting ability right? Do you consider him a heor? The term is overused and has lost a lot of meaning. I agree there are many heroic people in all walks of life just like the bum in NYC who jumped down and pulled a bystander up before they got hit by a subway (that's a hero or a heroic act)..........but to categorize an entire profession as "heroic" is silly and immature.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadoMan

Oh brother........so our entire essence of a country and a people rests on our military and history of war?

And you can't pick and choose..............we are ALL PART OF THE PROBLEM if we are not part of the solution. Just doing a job, following orders, oh it's not the soldier its their leaders........etc. etc. are just excuses. It's like our government. We bitch and complain and Americans are pissed off and sick and tired but what do we do??????????? Oh it's not our fault.....no we just keep electing the same tired old republicans and democrats into the White House! WAKE UP! We are responsible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE! Soldiers are the executioners of US foreign policy ! How the hell can you give them a free pass??????????? US foreign policy is CORRUPT! I voted for Ron Paul while the rest of my country laughed and called him a kook. If you aren't standing up and trying to make a difference you're part of the problem. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head and telling them to serve. We have an all voluntary military force.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

people fighting in iraq and Afghanistan have in no way contributed to his ability or right to say anything.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

you do know that a lot of people signing up for the military now a days are doing it because there is no better option, or for some other selfish reason. before everyone #s a brick, selfish doesnt carry as heavy negative connotation as you might think. may it be for the education, the experience, or a chance to "kill a few towelheads" do you all honestly believe that everyone who signs up for the armed forces is doing it for honor or country? or even for freedom? i bet some of you do, and thats ok, because the world has to have idiots.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

what is cowardly about it? sounds more like realistic to me.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Opinion's are like Ahole's we all got em.
this some how fit's...

no vet i have ever met..and i know alot..claim to be a hero..but by god they deserve respect from there fellow american's...even if you do not agree with the PRESIDENT'S choice....

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

"Grandpa, when you were in the Army during the war, were you a Hero-?

-"No son, but I served in a company of Heroes".

-nuff said.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bratac

I agree and I can name a hero. Marcus Luttrell in my opinion is a US military hero. God bless him. He served this country proudly only to be shat on by his government. The guy couldn't even have a little justice for the aholes that shot his dog.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Oh so the next time a nurse or anyone medically trained, saves one of your family, remember what you have stated here today, you are deluding yourelf completely.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

troops are over in afghanistan right now for lots of very good reasons.

1. they are over there fighting the taliban so that the taliban are not here in our countries commiting terrorist attacks...sure they still happen but would probly happen a lot more if we just let them get on with things.

2. our troops are over there because afghanistan doesnt have such a strong government able to control its own people and enforce solid laws and have the ability to apprehend criminals the same way our governments do. we are there helping the election process and the development of a propper stronger afghan government so that they can then look after themselves in the future and we wont need to be there.

3. probably oil and other resource or financial reasons that the american and british governments dont tell you.

basically we are trying to help afghanistan for the long term sometimes it takes a fight to end the fighting.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Yeh man you nailed it right there , unless its a draft , they are all signing up either to kill , or to defend our governments illegal and shameful foregin policies , willingly !

and the only hero i can see in the war on terror , thats a non military hero is john smeaton for attacking that idiot at glasgow airport !

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo
reply to post by Ulala

troops are over in afghanistan right now for lots of very good reasons.

are there good reasons ! matter of opinion and certainly not factual

1. they are over there fighting the taliban so that the taliban are not here in our countries commiting terrorist attacks...sure they still happen but would probly happen a lot more if we just let them get on with things.

Nah the taliban are regional warlords , and wouldnt bother leaving afghanistan when they can cause as much as hell as they like there un checked
!

2. our troops are over there because afghanistan doesnt have such a strong government able to control its own people and enforce solid laws and have the ability to apprehend criminals the same way our governments do. we are there helping the election process and the development of a propper stronger afghan government so that they can then look after themselves in the future and we wont need to be there.

this maybe the only humanitarian effort which makes our presence there worthwhile , however afghanistan isnt exactly screaming out for help , democracy has been around for a long time , and they have never asked for it !

3. probably oil and other resource or financial reasons that the american and british governments dont tell you.

exactly the reason why we shouldnt be in the country , their resources are the afghan peoples not the western worlds !

basically we are trying to help afghanistan for the long term sometimes it takes a fight to end the fighting.

yeh we are the ones who started the fighting remember !

all in all we shouldnt be there period ! we are causing more harm than good , and wasting human lives for nothing , and wasting more of the taxpayers money on a fruitless venture which isnt garaunteed to provide the much sought after resources!

COMPLETE WASTE OF LIFE

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join