It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Animals is Making us Sick

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lavey2
..... my sister is a vegetarian she has anemia and low iron problems wont listen to the doctor wont take her vitamins and has the working IQ of that of an ant.

I'd have to say those symptoms sound more related to something genetic and inherited than caused by being vegan, especially that last part there.

Birthday girl Blanche, 103, says vegetarian diet is key

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It is clear that we don't need meat to survive. There are many millions of people in the world who have never tasted meat, who are in robust good health and live full lives. Meat is not necessary for a human being.

It is also clear that excessive amounts of meat is unhealthy, and causes us to sicken and die. The most obvious signs of excessive meat intake are obesity and cardiovascular disease.

Most meat produced in the United States is contaminated with antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides, and often bacteria. Those bacteria, being resistant to antibiotics, can cause serious illness and even death.

It isn't clear whether moderate intake of meat is necessarily harmful. Some claim it is, but it appears that those who only consume small amounts of meat don't suffer from increased ill health.

In the meantime, the factory farms are massive cesspools of disease and pollution. Runoff from such factories can dump massive amounts of ammonia, bacteria, and other pollutants into the ground water. Nearby populations have bee sickened by such pollution. Massive amounts of methane are produced by the animals themselves, as well as their manure. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas, more harmful than carbon dioxide.

Whether to eat meat is a personal decision that should not be forced on someone. However, a person should know what the cost is of eating meat, both to himself, and to the environment.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
If eating beef or chicken is bad, then why do vegetarians eat meatless products that are shaped and seasoned to look and taste like hamburgers and chicken patties? Just curious...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
If eating beef or chicken is bad, then why do vegetarians eat meatless products that are shaped and seasoned to look and taste like hamburgers and chicken patties? Just curious...

Why is a hamburger patty shaped like a chicken patty smarty pants?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Why is a hamburger patty shaped like a chicken patty smarty pants?

Because they both fit the bun quite nicely. And you didn't answer my question

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

And you didn't answer my question

You just did yourself.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I question this whole article.

Why?

Because of this:

Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet - Oct 27, 09

source

People will need to turn vegetarian if the world is to conquer climate change, according to a leading authority on global warming.

Enough said. WAY enough said.

The fruitcakes.

I don't condone factory farming but what I do subscribe to, and practice is
responsible meat *growing* and rendering.

But that's another subject for another thread.

*Munches away happily on a strip a beef jerky*

peace

[edit on 28-10-2009 by silo13]

hey Silo, thank you very much for bringing this information to our attention. While I agree that too many animals are treated far worse than they should or need to be, I smell something fishy in this whole issue like you.

We all know that animal meat prepared for human consumption is very profitable - this is evident in cultures around the world, not just the West. It is also true that humans do not depend on meat for survival, although meat does contain properties that are beneficial for our bodies.

Now we have people from the climate change camp saying that eating animals is killing the planet. Just like human made CO2 is also killing the planet. Is this somehow related? Perhaps the plants that process meat are releasing a lot of CO2? Maybe. But do remember that there exists a group of staunch environmental extremists with a certain agenda. Coincidentally, these people draw large numbers in both the "pro-climate change" and "pro-vegetarianism" camps.

Throw in the non-extremists from other sides and this is yet another divide and conquer technique.

To the OP: does the article you are referencing actually say that meat consumption is unhealthy for humans? Or is this thread trying to make a link between "vegetarianism" and "save the planet" and "animal cruelty" that myself and other posters suspect?

[edit on 29/10/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I've noticed something very interesting here on ATS. Whenever someone posts an 'anti-meat' article, people become furious. I mean, raging angry about it. I only wonder, is it because of the comfort?

We certainly don't need meat to survive. Sure it can be delicious when prepared correctly, but we aren't really equip to eat as much of it as we do in modern society.

Wow... the fury.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
Whenever someone posts an 'anti-meat' article, people become furious. I mean, raging angry about it.

Wouldn't you, if you knew flesh and blood thirsty vampires were slaughtering your friends and eating them? Say, do you believe in fair turn-around, an eye for an eye, what goes around comes around, karma, and all that? If some reptilians from outer space that like to eat humans came along to harvest us, would everyone still be so fond of this idea of murder and death as food? If one believes it's okay for a higher species to eat a lower species, you would have nothing to complain about being eaten by a higher species. Right?

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Divinorumus]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Actually, I think you misunderstood... I'm a vegetarian. The people who are so furious defending their stance are generally the ravenous meat eaters.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Actually, I think you misunderstood...

Oh, I see, so sorry, my bad.

Myself, I don't see the vampires becoming so angry as much as they keep rubbing their practice in our faces (I do not eat death either, btw). They'll say things like "and now I'm going off to commit murder and then shove a bloody carcass down my throat" .. well, not so much in those exact words but basically that's what I hear them saying.

Maybe it's their anger showing through because of their lack of will power to break this connection they have with eating flesh and blood, death, and it's being vented upon us stronger willed and morally higher creatures of Earth, ha. Of course, murderers do have a lack of compassion, that much is obvious, and that could be showing sometimes too.

There, that might help to explain some of it.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Whenever someone posts an 'anti-meat' article, people become furious. I mean, raging angry about it.

Wouldn't you, if you knew flesh and blood thirsty vampires were slaughtering your friends and eating them? Say, do you believe in fair turn-around, an eye for an eye, what goes around comes around, karma, and all that? If some reptilians from outer space that like to eat humans came along to harvest us, would everyone still be so fond of this idea of murder and death as food? If one believes it's okay for a higher species to eat a lower species, you would have nothing to complain about being eaten by a higher species. Right?

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Divinorumus]

What about animals that, due to instinct, eat humans? Sharks, bears, boars, coyotes, crocodiles, alligators, lions, tigers etc. I understand your point about the hypocrisy of turning a blind eye when we mass-kill animals and crying if a higher species came and did the same.

But you do have to remember that we as humans have the ability to reason and think critically perhaps more than any other animal in existence. This means that we do have a morally more justifiable reason for living than most other animals. I know this may sound harsh. Realistically however, does any other animal have the capacity for creation and survivability that us humans do? We are definitely capable of great evil, but our potential to do good for both our race and the planet is far greater than any other animal currently in existence.

If you really want to get into a deep moral debate on what we should not eat, then technically speaking plants should not be eaten either. Plants respire and are regarded as organisms. Yes, they may not have brains, emotions and feelings, but putting them on an "ok to mistreat and eat" is the same thing as those equating mistreating humans with non-humans.

Also remember that it was Aristotle who told us that we humans are social beings and our relationships with other humans form an integral part of our existence. While animals do have social contracts and relations with other animals (prides, packs, hierarchies) compared to us humans it is extremely limited and thus far less global.

[edit on 29/10/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Um and why do you think we find meat tasty? Remember the body tends to encourage constructive activity with pleasure.

reply to post by Wallachian

Guerillas are herbivores NOT vegans.

reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Good Point.

reply to post by kozmo

Yes! To steal a line from a Tool song: "This is necessary. Life feeds on life. Feeds on life.

reply to post by Divinorumus

So, by your logic all carnivores are murderous creatures that must be destroyed right? Seeing as to how you give people who meat the label murderers.

reply to post by InfiniteOmnipresence

How self rightous and at the same time self detractionary of you. Your "fall from grace" should tell you perhaps your ideal is not all that ideal.

reply to post by YourForever

Thus the term

OMNIVORE

reply to post by Avarus

It's because some people gets sick of self rightous people constantly ranting against something we are by nature.

reply to post by Avarus

While you attack us from your self rightous and ultimately incorrect stance.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Stop feeding cows corn, they cant digest that crap. They need to eat grass, but we have a surplus of corn, so we feed them corn.

Then the crap and the crap isn't fertilizing properly, why? the corn!

Then these poor bastard cows walk around in their sh*t, and get covered in it, then to the slaughter house while covered in sh*t. After being ground to bits (including their poop)...hello Ecoli!

FEED THEM GRASS YA DAMN FARMERS!

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I see you removed the "correct me if I'm wrong part" on your first reply, ha. I was going to reply "I doubt very much that I could, no more than I could change a leopards stripes."
Sorry. Maybe an exorcist could help.

Really, think of that mad cow stuff you're eating, all those drugs they inject into that flesh .. yuck. And, would H1N1 be an issue now if humans weren't pig farming too? H1N1 could be karma in action ya know!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Disgustipated Lyrics by Tool

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber, and took me on high, and higher still until we moved through the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmland of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom arose from the soil. One thousand, nay, a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged: "Angel of the lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me: "These are the cries of the carrots. The cries of the carrot. You see, reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day, and to them, it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat with the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared: "Hear me now, I have seen the light. They have a consciousness! They have a life! They have a soul. Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses. Save our brothers." Can I get an amen. Can I get a halleluiah. Thank you, Jesus.

This is necessary, this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on
This is necessary, this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life

This is necessary, this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on
This is necessary, this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life

It was daylight when you woke up in your ditch. You looked up at your sky. That, that made blue be your color. You had your knife there with you, too. When you stood up, there was goo all over your clothes. Your hands were sticky. You wiped them on your grass, so now your color was green. Oh, lord, why did everything always have to keep changing like this. You were already getting nervous again. Your head hurt, and it rang when you stood up. Your head was amost empty. It always hurt you when you woke up like this. You crawled up out of your ditch, onto your gravel road, and you began to walk, waiting for the rest of your mind to come back to you. You could see the car parked far down the road, and you walked toward it. If god is our father, you thought, then Satan must be our cousin. Why didn't anyone else understand these important things. When you got to your car, you tried all the doors. They were locked. It was a red car, and it was new. There was an expensive leather camera case laying on the seat. Out across your field you could see two tiny people walking by your woods. You began to walk towards them. Now red was your color. And of course, those little people out there were yours, too.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
You guys can quit eating meat. I'm all for it.

That much more for me.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Dark Ghost

I see you removed the "correct me if I'm wrong part" on your first reply, ha. I was going to reply "I doubt very much that I could, no more than I could change a leopards stripes."
Sorry. Maybe an exorcist could help.

Really, think of that mad cow stuff you're eating, all those drugs they inject into that flesh .. yuck. And, would H1N1 be an issue now if humans weren't pig farming too? H1N1 could be karma in action ya know!

I removed those words because they do not contribute to the topic at hand. I took advantage of the "edit" feature on this website, is that not one of the reasons it exists? The edit was done within 5 minutes of the original post. I made a mistake, please feel free to exorcise my soul from these Demons...

See, what you are doing now is choosing to focus on my edits and ignore the valid points that were raised in opposition to your original claims. Don't like the information I produced too much, now do you?

In regards to H1N1, that has nothing to do with karma...it is man made! Just like pretty much most diseases and viruses that are used for depopulation agendas. I do agree that some institutions choose to mix undesirable additives with popular foods, usually to save money. I very much doubt though that the meat itself is the cause of any significant health problems, usually it is to do with the preparation of the meat before consumption.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

You're an idiot. We NEED CHOLESTEROL as human beings for our body to function correctly. We also NEED SATURATED FAT. Both of these are necessary CONTRARTY to what the anti-cholesterol and anti-fat people will tell you. Our animal fat and saturated fat intake has decreased INCREDIBLY in the last 50 years and you know what? Cancer and heart disease have sky rocketed. And you know what has replaced all the cholesterol and saturated/animal fat in our diet? F'ing VEGETABLE OILS! So get off your unscientific vegetarian soapbox and shut up! Eating meat and animal husbandry/stewardship are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by Rawhemp

You're an idiot.

So get off your unscientific vegetarian soapbox and shut up!

Attacking other members is against the t&c. And who exactly made you the decider of who should speak and who should shut up??

Man, some people have serious anger problems.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join