It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Animals is Making us Sick

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Who would've thunk it. The healine alone has prompted another one of the weakest debates you can find on ATS.

Vegos vs. MeatHeads

It what you want. But understand why.

If you're a vego because you don't like the taste of meat or it makes you sick.....fine

If you're a vego so that you can be healthier.....that's definitely debatable. However, if you are healthy on an all plant diet, go for it.

If you're a vego because you love animals and you would never murder another living thing so that you can feed yourself......then you really need to do some reading. AGRICULTURE kills whole ecosystems and drains rivers dry. The Vegetarian Myth is a great book written by a former vego that couldn't eat meat for the latter reason above.

If you're a meat eater....you probably should read the article in the OP as it is dead on about the problems of factory farming. Eat the highest quality meat and there won't be any problems.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
]

Fact is, you guys are saying we have always been omnivores, but the truth is nobody knows for sure what the first human beings were eating. Human species have been through a lot, including an ice age in which vegetation was scarce. Humans adapt to basically anything, they might have adapted to eating meat during the ice age.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Wallachian]

Paleontologists are quite certain, from examining the skeletal remains of our ancestors, that we were, for the most part, hunter-gatherers.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
reply to post by Tallsorts

So, I changed my diet about 27 yars ago and haven't eaten any animal flesh since.

What flesh did you eat then?

Human?

What do you eat to replace the meat, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind you asking at all, but please understand that I'm not here to attack meat eaters. I was a meat eater once, and I'm not now; end of story.

There are any number of products in the USA, UK, Australia and many other countries made from Tofu, Grains, Beans, Corn etc. Today I've had Polony, sausages; yesterday Deli slices, pizza with vegan cheese. There's burgers, 'chicken' style chunks, hot dogs, and the list goes on. We've got a good variety here in the UK, but it's even better Stateside.

Like many other products made for meat eaters, there are equivalents for vegans. Is food manufacturing wrong; I don't think so. As a kid I used to like those German Weiner Sausages, now I can get them made of Tofu, and they're just as nice and nutritious. Soy Ice Cream is just as nice too, and most people can't tell the difference.

For those who like to live on a budget, there are stacks of recipes to make at home from Vegan Omelette to 'Meatloaf'. Here is just one US based website, have a look for yourself.

www.grouprecipes.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by Rawhemp

Dude, we need meat for many reasons. One of which is to get adequate zinc. It's virtually impossible to keep a healthy copper to zinc ratio without consuming meats. All sorts of problems happen when zinc gets too low and copper gets too high. I know because I tried to stop meats a couple of years ago and I went psychotic! Vegetarians are slowly killing their selves through their deprivation.

Yes, you must have Zinc, so I eat Pumpkin Seeds which are full of it. Once they used to be handed down at 'Posh' dinner parties, but they're cheap enough now and available on-line or in most health-food shops.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Soy is not as healthy as people would like to claim. And if i may ask do you not eat meat because of supposed health factors or because it's killing animals? I only ask because soy plantations are absolutely destroying the habitat of many animals and disrupting whole ecosystems. Same with palm oil.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Well, I don't know what you ate, but nothing you said matched my experience, and that of friends and family. I am never hungry and eat a great variety of vegan food.

But, not every one is the same, and there are people who live on other things, that most of us think weird. Some people can't make dietary adjustments, and some can't function without meat either.

It varies from person to person.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lavey2

Vegans think SOY is the answer to everything, in fact you want to know why vegans and vegetarians have the same look about them? pale white and skinny?!?!

That is such a stereotype. Vegans are tree hugging hippies that look like death warmed up....

I'm vegan and I'm definitely not pale and skinny. In fact I'm living proof that you can be vegan and overweight.
The human digestive system is not able to fully digest meat, you may still have undigested meat in your intestines from that pork chop you ate 5 years ago...
We descend from monkeys and they were primarily eating fruits and nuts. Their teeth were designed to grind down nuts and such like.
I have been vegan for more than 3 years now and the only supplement I need is vitamin b12. Perfectly healthy!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Soy is not as healthy as people would like to claim. And if i may ask do you not eat meat because of supposed health factors or because it's killing animals? I only ask because soy plantations are absolutely destroying the habitat of many animals and disrupting whole ecosystems. Same with palm oil.

First of all, animal based foods were making me ill, but now I would prefer that animals were not killed for me to live. Feeding animals on grain crops uses a lot of resources, including vast amounts of fresh water. Instead of people eating that grain, the animals have it, then they have to grow, be slaughtered, butchered and cooked, it gobbles up global resources which could be used to feed many of the starving in our world.

Obviously I can remember the taste, of every kind of meat cut or product, and I am no stranger to the Blood & Sawdust of a Butcher's Shop, as I did a Saturday Job for a while as a kid. What other people eat is no concern of mine.

We can still buy Soy products in the UK which are not GMO. If GMO gets forced on us by the Great Illuminati, then there will likely be trouble on the streets, as people protest.

Monoculture is destroying many ecosystems, but that's down to the greed of the big corporations. I advocate organic culture of all food products, whether it grows on a plant or tree, or walks on 2 or 4 legs. Meat eating can be very healthy for those who want to, by freerange and organic methods.

Let's not turn the Prairies into dust bowls, or saw down the traditional rainforests; and grow only healthy food for our peoples, whatever they like to eat.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticus22

Originally posted by Lavey2

Vegans think SOY is the answer to everything, in fact you want to know why vegans and vegetarians have the same look about them? pale white and skinny?!?!

That is such a stereotype. Vegans are tree hugging hippies that look like death warmed up....

I'm vegan and I'm definitely not pale and skinny. In fact I'm living proof that you can be vegan and overweight.
The human digestive system is not able to fully digest meat, you may still have undigested meat in your intestines from that pork chop you ate 5 years ago...
We descend from monkeys and they were primarily eating fruits and nuts. Their teeth were designed to grind down nuts and such like.
I have been vegan for more than 3 years now and the only supplement I need is vitamin b12. Perfectly healthy!!

1. We do not descend from monkeys.

2. There are a lot of different types of monkeys and their diets differ.

3. How can you claim to be "perfectly healthy" at the end of your post when you said you were overweight at the beginning?

Seriously, I don't care what any of you eat but at least get your facts straight. I think someone even posted earlier about "other species of chimps" not eating meat!! Wow! Other species of chimps, huh? Really?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Meat injected with hormones and steroids and antibiotics are harmful to us. Early man didn't inject their food with all that crap, they hunted wild animals.
I much prefer the taste of fresh wild venison that store bought beef anyday. In fact I despise that tatse of beef. hunting season is such a joy to our family because we can finally eat something good for us that tastes good as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by Wallachian

You know exactly what i meant when i said humans are omnivores, we can eat pretty much anything hence we are omnivores. Im not talking about what people choose to eat simply what they can.

Absolutely. People that choose to be vegetarian do so only because they are afforded that choice in the land of plenty. In the wild, a human will eat whatever they can get...not by choice, but by survival instinct.

You can't be Veggie in the Polar regions, Himalayas, Tibet, Deserts and the like. In most 'Western' societies we grow fruit, vegetables, legumes and grains, as well as farm animals. You may regard living in such a society is being in 'a land of plenty' but so what? I was born in England, so I can buy whatever I like, or not, as the case may be.

People living in Africa, growing beans for British Supermarkets, and living on a subsistence diet is disgusting, but that's what the Illuminati system causes. They will be dealt with in due course.

I go out of my way to by 'Fairtrade' products, which give extra money to the farmers in the countries of origin, and I would like to see many human and ecological problems resolved in the world.

But I will not be made to feel guilty for eating and drinking products made from vegetable sources.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

This is false, meat is not needed in any way shape or form.

human are omnivores much like bears.

We don't need meat actually, if you seriously think we do prove it? Our teeth are nothing compared to a carnivore.

He said omnivore.

We need both meat and vegetables. Hopefully one day there'll be a cure for vegetarianism, but until that day we'll have to suffer the guilt and self-righteousness of those types.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
[Oh my, those are some big teeth Mr. Gorilla! And you say you're a vegan??
[edit on 28-10-2009 by Wallachian]

Mr Gorilla is NOT a vegan!
This is the biggest load of crap EVER. Gorillas eat insects, insect larvae and insect eggs. This article is only one of thousands that will better educate you on the matter. It is a FACT that primates REQUIRE animal protein to survive - however great or small the amount varies by primate but ALL of them require some animal protein - period!

I do not care one way or the other if one chooses to be a vegan or not. Not my problem. I'm eating meat through informed consent. I educate myself on what animal proteins are healthy in what amounts and eat accordingly. I take care and exercise caution to ensure that the animal protein I ingest is safe and was obtained through humane methods.

It is also interesting to note that a vegan diet - despite their howls to the contrary - have a much higher carbon footprint than those of locavores. That is, unless they are blessed to live in certain parts of the world that are capable of growing a wide variety of fruits, vegetables AND legumes necessary to support their diets. However, there are very few places capable of producing that variety in one locale.

It requires a bit of effort, but eating both locally grown and adpated food and safe food is possible. My family and I do it daily. In my opinion though, to do successfully - to be a true locavore, requires an omnivorious diet.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Truth is 1c I realized as a young child that all our meat is slaughtered I felt bad for the animals like there is not some other way to eat other then how we do. I would try and put my mind state in that of the cow walking its last walk to death, and wondered does that cow know its about to die. I felt iF these animals do know they are about to die then we are building up some SERIOUS BAD KARMA WITH MOTHER NATURE. LORD I HOPE NOT

Also A HEALTHY FRUIT AND VEGGIE. DIET WOULD INCREASE global health and save on healthcare in our futures. I am down to stop eating them I just need to figure out how to do so.

[edit on 10/28/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

Oh yes, animals know they are about to die, and the Animal Kingdom is well aware that they agreed to be food for Humans, that has been their function for a very long time. It doesn't make the whole thing pleasant, but there it is.

I am just one person who no longer eats meat, because it was making me ill; but it's nice not to have death on my dinner plate. Some people become more advanced spiritually, and give up meat, and many more don't.

I would have no problem picking my fruit and veggies, but would all the meat eaters like to catch, kill and butcher their meat? It would be interesting to see how many would, but we shall never know.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I'd quite happily hunt, kill and skin my food.

Hunting is a pure and spiritual act in some parts of the world. After all what could be more thrilling than the actual chase, knowing at the end of it you will have full bellies and your family can live for another week or so.

Hunting for sport is not on though, that is what i disagree with.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tallsorts
I am just one person who no longer eats meat, because it was making me ill; but it's nice not to have death on my dinner plate. Some people become more advanced spiritually, and give up meat, and many more don't.

I would have no problem picking my fruit and veggies, but would all the meat eaters like to catch, kill and butcher their meat? It would be interesting to see how many would, but we shall never know.

No offense, but your holier than thou tone about your vegan choices are about as appetizing as a vegan burger - NOT at all!
What - that plant you ate wasn't growing before someone picked it for you to eat? It wasn't alive and prospering and procreating? Please don't be so hypocrital... Every time you put food in your mouth, you put death in your mouth. Get over it! There is a reason that it is called the FOOD CHAIN!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Hunting for sport is not on though, that is what i disagree with.

LOL, it's comforting to know murderers have at least some sense of morality, ha. What we need are a whole bunch of cannibals or lizards from outer space to land on Earth so they can go around teaching others what it feels like to be food.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Divinorumus]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Refer to my post above. Oh, and thank you so very much for contributing to the ever-expanding carbon foorprint and the destruction of thousands of acres of forest every day to support your eating habits. And I'm particularly excited about all of the over-processing necessary to create your tofu, veggie chicken patties and assorted other crap - it's a good thing that no trucks, factories, warehouses were used in support of your diet. I'm even more enamored with the fact that somehow you can eat your food and still crap out an entire live plant that magically replants itself it in the ground. And finally, since we all know that olive trees, and almond trees, and avacodos, and soy, and bananas and oranges and apples and asparugus all grow within 30 miles of you - we "meat-eaters" would like to thank you for eating locally!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Excuse the caps but...

I LIKE MEAT SO I EAT MEAT...
I EAT MEAT SO I LIKE MEAT...

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF YA DANG VEGGIES!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

This is false, meat is not needed in any way shape or form.

bull#.

human are omnivores much like bears. Ever seen a bear only eat leafs and be happy? no you haven't because if they don't get meat they start attacking humans for their meat. Vegetables are good and all but meat is what we need.

Whether you believe in god or evolution, we still have canine teeth which are used to tear through meat. therefore we need meat.

as for the OP yes factory farms are the cause of most of the diseases with their terrible conditions and questionable practices. unfortunately in the modern world its hard to escape their products.

Well, let me just say that I am living proof of the contrary...

I am 7ft tall and 290 lbs...And a vegetarian

I get plenty of protein from the foods I eat, and could not maintain my very large frame if it weren't the case. The myth that humans MUST eat meat to be strong and healthy is just that...a myth.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join