It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a Test! Are you a moral person? If so, how moral?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
1) Make the pharmacist look the wife in the eye and explain why he has to have $2000 and will not accept $1000 nor payments over time.

2) Yep. It makes the pharmacist the bad guy in this situation if he does not relent.

3) Still yes, but who is stealing this time. The Pharmacist.

4) Yes, still does. The Pharmacist is now in a moral dilemma.

5) The Good Samaritan would give freely. Much like my personal mantra of "Never refuse another man a drink of water. It is something that we all need and if you have it you should give it freely."

6) I would guess praise this course of action, since it allows the pharmacist to learn and grow as a person.

7) No. Sin is still sin.

But just for fun, there is always giving him the choice in another way rather than resorting to theft.

1)Let him know that $1000 is enough. Jedi Mind-Trick, not exactly. More like his testicles in my hand. Inform him that we all make hard choices in life and that I am sure that $1000 is enough.

2) While might does not make right, it can be a powerful argument.

3) Stealing is a sin, barter is not.

4) I would like to think that life trumps quite a bit of things.

5)The Good Samaritan would not give a firm squeeze while he debates the merits and flaws of haggling.

6) Probably not the same course of action, but I think Malcolm X would have approved.

7) No. A sin is a sin. Allowing others to die while you hold firm to an outrageous profit is also a sin.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by blupblup

blupblup,
Very perceptive responses!!!

Thx for stopping in...

OT

PS: We've come a long way huh?

Cheers.... thought you'd appreciate me stopping by.
It's always...er... fun huh?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I would offer him the money I have raised as an investment for him to buy more radium to produce more of the drug allowing him to make even more money, if that was not accepted, I'd no doubt steal it, but later on anonymously pay my bill.

seriously thats what I'd do

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well, at the risk of being the odd one out, I would NOT steal the drug.

I've seen Yahweh work too many miracles in my life to stop trusting Him for the big stuff.

To steal from someone the products of their labor, whether it be by taxation or by breaking a bedroom window for the purpose of filling your pockets, IS stealing a life. Granted, not their whole life all at once but what is one's life if not the minutes of your day and the products of your labor?

The pharmacist is a money-grubbing, 1st rate b*****d, to be sure, but do we sink to his level by denying him the fruits of his labor? His life may not be more valuable to me personally than that of a loved one but it is his life and he has the right to be an SOB if he wants.

There are plenty of life saving meds in the corner pharmacy right now that are too expensive for most people but we don't (for the most part) see breaking and entering and stealing of those drugs. How is this different?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

1) What would you do?

2) Why? Are you justified?

3) Isn't stealing a sin? always? maybe not?

4) Does LIFE trump everything else?

5) What would the Good Samaritan do?

6) What would Martin Luther King do?

7) Is sin really relative?

Have you read the Bible, in James 2:25? It says, "In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?"

How was she 'justified'???? By LYING? hmmm???

Thoughts?

OT

Thank you in advance for replying!

[edit on 22-10-2009 by OldThinker]

1) I would do the same thing.
2) Because if I didn't, then I would be willingly letting someone that I love die, knowing that there IS something that I can do and for what? So that some greedy bastard can get paid in exchange for my loved ones life? I am not here to negotiate a life. I am here to save her damn life. Besides, wouldn't this be considered a sacrifice? The guy knows that stealing is wrong and may be a sin if he's christian, but he's willing to sacrifice losing his freedom in jail and possibly burning in hell to save a womans life. Sacrificing yourself to save a life has its own place in the bible.
3 & 4) see above
5) I hope the same thing.
6) Martin Luther's destiny was to give African American slaves the same rights as the white man and has no place in this arguement.
7) Depends on if you're religious or not.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

It's like damning Jean Valjean from les misérables. It's impossible to do. The hunger in his stomach, but more accurately the hunger of his starving family drove him to steal. If I do ever lean over and into the guillotine of marriage then i would have my wife taking mms everyday of her life along with myself so that cancer couldn't even begin much less live in the alkalized systems.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Guys, thx for the Flags and stars!!!!

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Went through this in one my philosphy classes. I'll address it the same way I did then: What is moral/morality?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
Went through this in one my philosphy classes. I'll address it the same way I did then: What is moral/morality?

That was the OP's question, too...

How'd your professor respond friend?

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 911Liar

1) What would you do? Steal it and beat the Pharmacist.

2) Why? Are you justified? To save my wife. Sure

3) Isn't stealing a sin? always? maybe not? Yes, Yes

4) Does LIFE trump everything else? No

5) What would the Good Samaritan do? He would not steal

6) What would Martin Luther King do? Sleep with my wife.

7) Is sin really relative? In Gods eyes no.. in mans eyes yes

Are you playing with OT here?

Come one man, answer right!

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Well, at the risk of being the odd one out, I would NOT steal the drug.

I've seen Yahweh work too many miracles in my life to stop trusting Him for the big stuff.

Whitewave.....

transparency, huh?

Refreshing!

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

He said, "Thats a good question anyone else care to respond?", and couple of people raised their hands and offered their opinion.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
I would offer him the money I have raised as an investment for him to buy more radium to produce more of the drug allowing him to make even more money, if that was not accepted, I'd no doubt steal it, but later on anonymously pay my bill.

seriously thats what I'd do

No doubts here, from the ole guy...

Great input!

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

He said, "Thats a good question anyone else care to respond?", and couple of people raised their hands and offered their opinion.

SKIRT!!!!

You were ahead of the game there...

What's your field of study?

OT LSS MBB!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
morality is relative.

my problem is, that you have to consider if this is right or wrong. in my paradigm there is not right or wrong, good or evil. everything just is.

so if i need something to obtain a goal, anything is permissable, for now as i have to live within teh confines of a society i adapt to that environ.

if teh circumstances changed, eg, my wife was dying, and someone had a cure, nothing would stop me to obtain it.

even killing the pharmacist if need be.

that will be one hard point for christians to understand im betting.

there is no right and wrong. only what is ...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Ahabstar, my buckeye!!!

You are a wise one, huh?

Great post friend...

OT

PS: Think SHAQ will help the king getta ring?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

santa-avatar? I think?

What do you do with Hitler?

OT

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

1) What would you do?

1. I would have taken it as well to save a loved ones life

2. Well I say yes I am justified. Why should money stand in the way of whether one is allowed to live or die? Big pharma robs from us everytime we go to the DR.

3. Depends on your definition of sin.. I dont see stealing these meds to save a life like in this situation as a sin. Sin in this situation for me doesnt mean the same. I also dont look at sins like most people do.

4. I believe yes life trumps everything

5. I feel I am a good samaritan and I would have done the same thing as Mr. Heinz. I think most people would if they had the means to, when it involves saving a loved ones life.

6. Really what would MLK do? Thats out of nowhere..lol I think he would do the same as Mr. Heinz.

7. No

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

1) What would you do?

these are honest answers and display what i really think:

1)Steal the Drug

2)my justification is that the strong survive and prosper the weak perish, therefore i consider myself strong and my wants are that my wife should survive therefore i will do anything i deem fit to meet my wants

3)there is no sin, only perspectives

4)survival always comes first

5)what good? only perspective

6)never knew the guy so how could i answer

7)no

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
....6. Really what would MLK do? Thats out of nowhere..lol I think he would do the same as Mr. Heinz.

lil more research my many pumkin friend....ok?

Theoretically, one issue that distinguishes stage 5 from stage 6 is civil disobedience. Stage 5 would be more hesitant to endorse civil disobedience because of its commitment to the social contract and to changing laws through democratic agreements. Only when an individual right is clearly at stake does violating the law seem justified. At stage 6, in contrast, a commitment to justice makes the rationale for civil disobedience stronger and broader. Martin Luther King, for example, argued that laws are only valid insofar as they are grounded in justice, and that a commitment to justice carries with it an obligation to disobey unjust laws. King also recognized, of course, the general need for laws and democratic processes (stages 4 and 5), and he was therefore willing to accept the penalities for his actions. Nevertheless, he believed that the higher principle of justice required civil disobedience (Kohlberg, 198 1, p. 43).
more, IF.......... ur ready? faculty.plts.edu...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join