It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality is just a coping mechanism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I fiercely disagree.

I have observed my Christianity to be the best construction on reality that I've ever investigated or experienced.

It explains the most data points and puzzle pieces.

It certainly describes mankind and individuals' functioning as individuals as well as with one another extremely well.

@@@@@@@

However . . . I wonder . . . in your assertion . . . about spirituality being a coping mechanism . . .

I ASSUME

you are including anti-spirituality as a form of spiritual coping mechanism, too.

LOL.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

However . . . I wonder . . . in your assertion . . . about spirituality being a coping mechanism . . .

I ASSUME

you are including anti-spirituality as a form of spiritual coping mechanism, too.

LOL.

Quit with the idiotic assumptions, fool. How can an anti of something be the thing? No thanks. I prefer to remain somewhat rational.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Is that an example of ATS rule violating asaultive projection?

Just as Atheism has been declared a religion by federal courts . . . it doesn't take any extra synapses between the ears to realize that essentially any philosophical construction on reality

can easily and rationally be described, construed as a

COPING MECHANISM.

Interesting that denial seems to accompany some such versions so RELIGIOUSLY.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Is that an example of ATS rule violating asaultive projection?

No, it's not. I called what you wrote idiotic, and you a fool for doing such. Not an assult, just a statement. Would you consider the antichrist to be part of the christ?!

I don't care that a court has declared atheism a religion. Is their word absolute truth? Atheism is a rational system based on lack of belief, not a religion. There is no narrative, symbolism, practices, or beliefs. It's but a lack of belief in a deity or the supernatural.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I've been on the fence for years about Spirituality. After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that spiritual yearnings are nothing more than an instinctual coping mechanism which functions as a means for individual or group survival in strenuous situations.

People misinterpret these instincts with irrational sayings like, "There is no other" , and "Everything you experience is the result of what you have done" , & "Perception is reality". These are obviously absurd notions to any rationally-grounded individual, yet the "teachings" persist.

I do agree, and science postulates that we all root from the same source..from the big bang (in theory), but to then make the leap in logic that we're all one being...how can someone honestly assume such a thing?! Yes, we're all part of the earth, which is part of the solar system, which is part of the galaxy, which is part of the cosmos. To equate this part with being the whole of the cosmos is erroneous, though! It's like saying a single atomic particle inside our body is the whole of our being!

To say that there is only one, is to deny ourself and/or every other other beings existence! This just seems like a naive means to excuse all of our mishaps and encounters, by way of projecting ourselves onto the whole of creation. It's an extreme form of narcissism!

On the whole, perception is reality thing..Reality is independent to any one of us! Regardless of whether I'm aware of certain things going on, they happen! Perception is an individuals perspective, based on his life occurrences, and genetic makeup.

I understand the need for spirituality in some people. It's said, "The further you fall, the deeper you go". Spirituality is a coping mechanism for those in so much pain, they can no longer accept their self or the world they live in. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is illogical and has no basis in reality.

Am I alone on this one?

hahaha

EVERYTHING is a coping mechanism-
hadn't you heard? existence is suffering.............

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

What a sad perspective.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It's another unfalsifiable entity like many organised religions and their tales.

You can't prove it but it fits the bill, people who claim to be spiritual find it hard to explain what they mean, and when you ask they reply with something like words and this reality of perception cannot explain Spirituality, which is a good failsafe device if anything.

At least conspiracy theories you can use at least a small ammount of logic to make such predictions or possibilities (but most are still unfalsifiable, you can't say it is wrong, because it could be possible, but inprobable) - but with spirituality? We have nothing, no evidence, only words created by humans to get attention.

The greatest failsafe of all is that who are we to say another person is not spirtual? They say they are and you can't prove it because you're not in their body. Its pure jokes.

They talk down on you as if they're sense of reality and spirtuality is more comprehensive and interesting than yours, that is wrong. Einstein and many other great scientists ARE NOT spiritual because it is an illogical concept.

The only time i could possibly say i was "spiritual" is in a dream, but then again dreams are forgotten, could just be chemical reactions in our brain, or our brain making a creative story based on awake exeriences. Just don't mention spirituality to me, its wrong. Prove me wrong.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye

Life is what you make of it. Existence is experience

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Spirituality may seem like a coping mechanism until you realize that one can be spiritual in everything not just coping with things. Since the dawn of creation man has had the idea of spirituality and have just called it different things,

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by misteRee

Thank you! Your words conveyed my thoughts wonderfully. Star for you.

Unless we're severely damaged psychologically, we all have an inclination to be empathetic towards other people. We're hardwired to learn the value of things like altruism eventually, because this has served our species well. We work synergetically as such, and it's entirely logical.

To find the need to state that we're spiritual, is but an egoistic display of insecurity. It's saying both, "I find the reason to speak as if I'm better than you, while also truly feeling insecure deep down". It's nonsense. There's nothing to be said about being "spiritual". Either you're a compassionate being, or you're for whatever reason somewhat broken inside. The rest is just for display.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by misteRee

Originally posted by IandEye

Life is what you make of it. Existence is experience

well, kiddo-
people have been studying this issue for thousands of years and there are some real answers to them. if you reduce every single thing to its source you will come up with nothingness. that is not sad- it's real.
im sorry that you haven't looked into it and hope to conjure up your own reality. this is like what a kid would do. it is this very desire that causes suffering.
America is a great place with great potential- but you don't have to reinvent the wheel. look into what the wise men of the past have come up with.
denial is pre-suffering.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

show me that not everything we pursue is a coping strategy instead of saying how sad i must be.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Sitting in the sun, smiling, and enjoying life. Where's the suffering there?

You see, I'm not falling for your strawman. We don't have to pursue to experience.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

At first I was thinking that this was going to be an attack on spirituality from a point of view such as that of Christianity. Then I thought maybe it was a well thought out and informed point of view.

After reading it I can truly understand that you have NOT been studying spirituality like you have claimed. If you have, then you have only scratched the surface thus your limited point of view of what you have misinterpreted.

You are picking ONE type of spirituality and doing what so many on this and many of sites or forums do. Which is taking that ONE type and using it to try and claim that ALL is invalid.

Not going to fly. You really should go back to studying because again, you haven't even touched on things.

Also, there is an interesting branch of science that believes we are all connected with everything. Of course that is still being proved so I can't use it as a fact but I just wanted to point out yet another of your short comings on this topic.

Good luck and good journey.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I see that you haven't read the recent posts. I've changed my perspective somewhat, and realize that my OP was a bit of a blanket statement. Why have you chosen to state that I don't know much about spirituality, and yet not provide any details whatsoever
Care to contribute to the thread, or just state that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I'm not picking one type of spirituality, I'm talking about people who make a claim to being spiritual. This is my main beef, okay? I've noticed that people who claim to be spiritual, are really just assholes who are clueless. That's all. Nothing more.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Hm, it really depends on what your definition of spirituality is.

You see, a spiritualist will tell you that the world is actually the diversion from the spirit, while you say the spirit is a diversion from the world.

The problem is not what it is or isn't, but that both scenarios are possible and it's impossible to decide between two contradictions that are both equally possible.

Live and let live is the key to these scenarios.

The only thing that truly matters in life is not why you're here, but what you leave behind for future generations. Because once you die, nothing you have or thought matters. All the inconsequential opinions and debates make no difference once you're gone. The only thing that will matter is what you did or left behind that will impact those who come after you.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SirPsychoSexy

Well said. Star for you!

My mindset does not jive with the idea that this world is a seperation to spirit. It just seems utterly irrational. Well, actually, spirit must be irrational, literally, but I guess that's not what I mean. I mean it doesn't make sense to me.

You're correct in everything you say. I don't have a problem with people who believe in spirit, I have a problem with people who must pronounce to the world that they're spiritual. It's snoobish.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by IandEye

Sitting in the sun, smiling, and enjoying life. Where's the suffering there?

You see, I'm not falling for your strawman. We don't have to pursue to experience.

"strawman"?
haha
"suffering" means "ill-at-ease (dis-ease)" "unwhole" or "unhealhy"
if you didn't think everything was perfect, you wouldn't be here typing, smart guy
birth, death, old age- these are things you will "experience".

I will emphasize my point-
smiling, sitting in the sun, enjoying life- is a coping strategy to deal with the fact you are going to die and there is nothing you can do about it.

stop dealing with my posts and try to open your mind a little bit- not for me but for you

[edit on 20-4-2010 by IandEye]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Yes, that is my fault. I simply wanted to reply to your OP. Then I started to see that this is indeed a view from that of Christianity. I don't mind religion. I believe that the teachings of Jesus (at least what we can read even if many believe him to be fictional) are very important to life. Actually, it's very important to spirituality too.

But to make the leap that spirituality is a coping mechanism and that Christianity or any other form of religion is not is stretching it quite a bit.

However, at least your post does create some interesting debates. Yes, I have debated this type of topic hundreds of times and it never gets boring. It's an important one for many.

I'm still reading through so please show some patience. I only have a limited time for break so I try to get through as much as I can. I did not mean for my post to be an attack in the least. Just one to show that you, at least at that point from my point of view, had a lot more to learn.

You are fighting a hard fight though because of what religion in general has done to people throughout recorded history. Once you took the stance of a Christian you kind of weakened your argument in they eyes of many. Especially on this site.

I understand that having 'faith' is important to a lot of people (1.5 billion and growing in Christianity alone) so I do not begrudge you that. I just feel that you are looking at spirituality (the true brother to religion if not an arm or even body of it) through 'Christian colored glasses'. That means that, as it is preached in Christian churches, anyone who is not saved by the blood of Jesus is just plain wrong. Because life everlasting only comes through Jesus.

You just aren't going to sway too many people who just don't buy that on this site.

So, it is my opinion that your assumption that spirituality (which can simply be living with your environment in harmony [you know, love thy neighbor, help people, be charitable, respect nature and life, and on and on and on]) is a coping mechanism is way off base. Especially when spirituality is MUCH MUCH older than Christianity and in essence all religion.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
AND BY THE WAY............

the complete title of this thread should be:
"spirituality is a coping mechanism for SEXUALITY"

that is fairly true because to most people (scientists) energetics, sex, spirit, feelings..........these are all the same thing

[edit on 20-4-2010 by IandEye]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join