It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality is just a coping mechanism

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
First of all a 'coping mechanism' is in no sense a necessarily 'bad' thing.

A toothpick is a toothpick & can be very useful for picking teeth as well as other unintended purposes.

I think spirituality relates to our more delicate, ethereal methods & capacities.
To dis that entirely is sort of like wanting to be a rock, devoid of the delicacy that is consciousness & other mental processes.

I think that from a technical stand point spirituality is [acts as] an interface &/or tools to access & utilize more refined, transcendent & fragile domains of operation.

Religion is often an attempt to industrialize, standardize some mechanical access to some more transcendent mode, but i think it often makes it almost mundane, perfunctory, & possibly not transcendent at all.
Even if it succeeds as a standard method to access transcendence it robs it of its rich variety, uniqueness, the personal, the intimate, which means it has a very hard time ever measuring up to what you are potentially capable of purely on your own.

Rocks flow in magma, fish swim in water, birds fly in air, & satellites orbit in the vacuum of space.
Spirituality is just part of the access to a different, usually higher, more ethereal domain.
Arguably it is an actual necessity for a higher consciousness organism, so there are likely to be some biological operations that relate to this activity.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

S&F

I would normally have something to say here, but you did such a brilliant job in your OP there is no point

Well done, glad you saw through the whole Spirituality/New Age mumbo jumbo, took me a while to come away from it all. However it's the best thing I ever did, I am more alive that I have ever felt before.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Your belief as stated is your faith. It comforts you and makes you feel safe, wise and in charge of your world. All is love. There is nothing in the creation but love. The serial murderer loves what he does as the robber, the rapist, the pedophile, the politician, the judge, the sinner or the saint. There is nothing anyone can do but love. The question is what benefits your true welfare? What will facilitate your true best interests? What are you? You have chosen an understanding that comforts you but what are it's consequences. What is good facilitates our moving inward and upward. What is bad causes our decline and dissipation. What matters in life is what are the real consequences and benefits of what we do and how we think.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

"Good" is subjective, . Don't try and out smart people with your words of good and bad. Everyone has irrational, and illogical thoughts, like the belief in a god that cannot be seen, heard, tested, acknlowedged only theorised with no previous data, evidence, mathmatics and logical human thinking - It's jokes and people need to wake up.

Am i a peadophile because i don't have god on my side? am i morally inadept? Do i not care? Do i not love? Do i not have empathy for fellow humans?

Its the most f|_|

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Totally agree with the OP!

Considering none of the religion has PROOF for their believes, they base their opinions on pure guess work. They try to explain what they CAN'T explain without proof, anything's possible. Why? Because they are NOT ok with not knowing, it scares them.

Is this a bad thing? NO...not as long as it doesn't hinder science in finding the real answers.

In ancient times, religions believed the earth was flat, and that the sun resolves around the earth. People who disagreed were killed! We now know the earth is round and that it revolves around the sun, and not the other way around.

We need to be careful not to repeat the mistakes made in the past. If people disagree based on their spirituality, that's fine. But it should NOT hinder real progress and science as we know it's able to find the REAL truth in things.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
First of all a 'coping mechanism' is in no sense a necessarily 'bad' thing.

A toothpick is a toothpick & can be very useful for picking teeth as well as other unintended purposes.

I think spirituality relates to our more delicate, ethereal methods & capacities.
To dis that entirely is sort of like wanting to be a rock, devoid of the delicacy that is consciousness & other mental processes.

I think that from a technical stand point spirituality is [acts as] an interface &/or tools to access & utilize more refined, transcendent & fragile domains of operation.

Religion is often an attempt to industrialize, standardize some mechanical access to some more transcendent mode, but i think it often makes it almost mundane, perfunctory, & possibly not transcendent at all.
Even if it succeeds as a standard method to access transcendence it robs it of its rich variety, uniqueness, the personal, the intimate, which means it has a very hard time ever measuring up to what you are potentially capable of purely on your own.

Rocks flow in magma, fish swim in water, birds fly in air, & satellites orbit in the vacuum of space.
Spirituality is just part of the access to a different, usually higher, more ethereal domain.
Arguably it is an actual necessity for a higher consciousness organism, so there are likely to be some biological operations that relate to this activity.

I get that we are more intelligent and concsious than fish, rocks, birds and sattelites in orbit. I get that we are consious in the way we can communicate on a deep level - with words, books and now tv and film, we are creative. But does that give us the right to claim that spirituality is something that makes sense? Theres no substance to it, only an idea based from our greater intelligence, we THINK there for we are, if we think we are "spiritual" then we will be? I doubt it because its an arbitrary concept just like Holyness in the church.

You know its nonsense and it is constantly used to fool the stupid, and make money for misleading people.

Science is what we need, rational, cohesive thinking, which we can get things out of technology and progression. Spirtuality means absolutely nothing, you can't explain it, you can't use it. Only try and imagine what you are really supposed to be feeling, but no one knows. Just the same as knowone knows if god or not is true, and what he, she, it would look like, or if he is invisible force, no one knows - so how can they claim to know the rules of it? Bible WAS written by man, not god.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by slank

what you dont understand is that you cannot mean higher, you are then truly being lowest since you mean anything being higher than you and that what truth would reveal being your objective self reality life

thre is no subjective means to true objective realities, it is only you as the subject clear move

but also truth mean what is there objectively so it wont value at all who mean what he wants to be

that is why those means rely on god only and cant be defended in any objective way

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
meaning higher conscious yourself, is identifying principle of positive sources being real and then act to consider the full reality life of that principle from yourself reality living
so you loose like a bit of yourself life by meaning higher is alive then undirectly you live from knowing that more then you live
then you try to follow more speedy the step you gave within your objective reality frame personnally you adjust to that principle life as far as you choose to be the source of yourself reality confirmation from

you should know that what is higher is active for higher and never to lower calling it for a hand, there is only objective positive for truth
especially of how truth manage to be always the floor minimum existence absolute positive by meaning its full reality objectively
it cant answer to what is lower
and if you are from that floor real then you are true present which is the highest objective rank always absolutely

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by misteRee

The spirit or crucial factor in this thread is 'coping mechanism'. The OP and some here thrash Sprituality as a coping mechanism, insinuating them as fools.

That's ok. Each has own. No one points a gun at anyone and demand them to believe or not to believe. It's one's free will and choice anyway, universal freedom of mankind.

But within that freedom comes a curiousity of the world we live in. Does 'spirituality' holds all the answers? Or does science holds all the answers?

In truth, no one knows. The religious faithful depend on faith, so too does those that hold on to ever changing science with each new discovery daily that invalidates previous beliefs of science.

Scienc or religion, no man lives solely on that aspect for daily survival. There is work to do, bills to pay and obligations to be met. Let's not be in denial, each have their own 'coping mechanism' and it is not something derisive or foolish, but necessary.

So my question is:- How do you cope? How do you wake yourself up each morning to go to work? How do you cope in the face with negativity and adversity?

Some depend on religious faith teachings, some on love, but what about you? How do you cope or what motivates you - make your choice, you have 7 to choose from -Pride, lust, envy, greed, gluttony, sloth, anger

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

i dont think you can bring down choices to those 7 words that are clearly meaning superficial names that god give in easy ways prooving how god never mean any truth just the minimum approach to existing shape

what about the choice is always what is in infront of you, you never thought about this because you are of one conception being god, inventing yourself reality according to your mood that you invent too meaning value to yourself absolute freedom, as god do he cant but be perfect without any effort otherwise he wont be perfect and screw the truth it doesnt exist when he is because he said so being the free life and nothing else is if he wants

you are principally a reaction sense to what is objectively being real with you by copying its own projection concept of moving source as a replication mean

so what is right reaction is meaning truth soruce always absolute positive real so you are at least relax and at most meaning absolute life reality moves, which i proove how it is not at all in what you name 7 different subject ways
positive to positive
positive to negative meaning free creations by rejecting the fundamental element of absolute reality asserting truth reality present definitions
negative to negative
negative to positive meaning positive freedom and not reality

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join