It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality is just a coping mechanism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've been on the fence for years about Spirituality. After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that spiritual yearnings are nothing more than an instinctual coping mechanism which functions as a means for individual or group survival in strenuous situations.

People misinterpret these instincts with irrational sayings like, "There is no other" , and "Everything you experience is the result of what you have done" , & "Perception is reality". These are obviously absurd notions to any rationally-grounded individual, yet the "teachings" persist.

I do agree, and science postulates that we all root from the same source..from the big bang (in theory), but to then make the leap in logic that we're all one being...how can someone honestly assume such a thing?! Yes, we're all part of the earth, which is part of the solar system, which is part of the galaxy, which is part of the cosmos. To equate this part with being the whole of the cosmos is erroneous, though! It's like saying a single atomic particle inside our body is the whole of our being!

To say that there is only one, is to deny ourself and/or every other other beings existence! This just seems like a naive means to excuse all of our mishaps and encounters, by way of projecting ourselves onto the whole of creation. It's an extreme form of narcissism!

On the whole, perception is reality thing..Reality is independent to any one of us! Regardless of whether I'm aware of certain things going on, they happen! Perception is an individuals perspective, based on his life occurrences, and genetic makeup.

I understand the need for spirituality in some people. It's said, "The further you fall, the deeper you go". Spirituality is a coping mechanism for those in so much pain, they can no longer accept their self or the world they live in. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is illogical and has no basis in reality.

Am I alone on this one?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I doubt you are alone on this idea. I think religion is a coping mechanism. Spirituality, to me, is reality, not a coping mechanism. But I suppose I am just narcissistic.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well...my perspective is quite different from yours.

In my point of view reason and logic are the coping mechanisms.
Nothing more then part of the mind that evolved into having these mechanisms for the survival of the species.

Spirituality is a journey of knowledge that has no end and that has no right or wrong way or pattern of thinking. Its integral; it includes the wholeness of our existence or experience, specially those that make no sense to our reason.

Anyhow, your reasoning is full of holes and fallacies.
I'm not going to address them because its your job to constantly review your ideas about the world - and that is spirituality.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

This line of thinking is depressive to me. It's all about the life journey and what decisions, be they good or bad, that we make along the way.

Do you think religion and spirituality are one and the same? Religion, in my opinion, has nothing to do with one being spiritual. I wish you the best finding yourself.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
when you find your true self or at least begin the journey
then you will find that what you said was probably a huge denial of your true self.

there is no justification to denying spirituality other than denying your self.

good luck.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Reality is not set apart from your own experiences and understandings my friend, allow me to give you an example.

YOU have NEVER seen a color. In your whole life, never priviledge to see such a thing. Neither has any other human on the planet.

We've seen plenty of "shades" of colour, but nothing else. What I see as the color "green" may be a completely different thing for than for me. Why is that if reality is not subjective to the human experience?

Spirituality is not a coping mechanism. You are not your brain. Ever thought of where your "thoughts" come from? Not your brain but something else. You brain is simply the medium used to interpret them.

Your body is a tool, the soul is the user.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
"Perception is reality".
On the whole, perception is reality thing..Reality is independent to any one of us!

Here is what you are missing. Both statements are true. Both truths co-exist. Your absolutism is inhibiting your understanding of the concepts. Secondly, you have a habit of grouping all statements you dislike under a singular spirituality and then attacking it, another absolutism revealing the error of your processes. Thirdly, the beauty of spirituality is the ever apparent truth, i.e. the answers needed for your progression were provided in your own post, your unrealized errors should be your food for thought.

You call spirituality a coping mechanism.
I call your post a cry for help.

YF

[edit on 13/10/09 by YourForever]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Am I alone on this one?

Hm, it really depends on what your definition of spirituality is.

You see, a spiritualist will tell you that the world is actually the diversion from the spirit, while you say the spirit is a diversion from the world.

The problem is not what it is or isn't, but that both scenarios are possible and it's impossible to decide between two contradictions that are both equally possible.

Live and let live is the key to these scenarios.

The only thing that truly matters in life is not why you're here, but what you leave behind for future generations. Because once you die, nothing you have or thought matters. All the inconsequential opinions and debates make no difference once you're gone. The only thing that will matter is what you did or left behind that will impact those who come after you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Your argument is very logical. Almost to logical. Take this scenario for instance. A person puts data into a computer to get an answer. The computer gives the answer. Is the computer aware of the answer? Can the computer guess the next question? Not quite yet. I think that quantum mechanics is the science with the most probability to answer questions on spirituality. What scientists have yet to realize is that spirituality is not magic, or at least as we think of the word. It holds to the laws of the universe and I am sure you are not naive enough to believe we know all the laws.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have developed within myself an idea that incessant whining about spirituality is a coping mechanism as well, tailor made for those who wish to maintain narrowly defined parameters for themselves. Those that do are not certain they they have found certainty and thus attack other certainties as the enemy. Longing for and seeking certainty is a coping mechanism. It implies the presence and embroilment in uncertainty as you are aiming at something other than what you perceive yourself to be, while trying to assure yourself that you have coped.

I attack all the certainties by remaining uncertain and not coping. There is no enemy. Nothing to see as "other than".

I'm coping with you right now. I could just as easily not. I'm not sure I'm coping. I am unable to cope.

There it is, demystified. Have a nice day. Don't forget your receipt!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2theC

when you find your true self or at least begin the journey
then you will find that what you said was probably a huge denial of your true self.

there is no justification to denying spirituality other than denying your self.

good luck.

I did once find my "true self" when I went through a family trauma. This "true self" led me to nothing but more misery in the end. I came to realize it was nothing more than a mass of self denials and projections. It was not true in the least!

I can see from your perspective, that to deny spirituality is to deny myself, but that is based on your belief system.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

If spirituality isn't reality, then please tell me, what reality is?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I can see from your perspective, that to deny spirituality is to deny myself, but that is based on your belief system.

Well, some might say that denying one's self is spirtuality. I don't know who they think they are though.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I do agree with the OP about spirituality being a coping mechanism, but that only holds true for some people. Some people approach spiritualism and use it as a coping mechanism, but I think there's much more to learn without using spiritualism as some sort of a generalized religious crutch.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Reality is not set apart from your own experiences and understandings my friend, allow me to give you an example.

YOU have NEVER seen a color. In your whole life, never priviledge to see such a thing. Neither has any other human on the planet.

We've seen plenty of "shades" of colour, but nothing else. What I see as the color "green" may be a completely different thing for than for me. Why is that if reality is not subjective to the human experience?

Spirituality is not a coping mechanism. You are not your brain. Ever thought of where your "thoughts" come from? Not your brain but something else. You brain is simply the medium used to interpret them.

Your body is a tool, the soul is the user.

~Keeper

I do often enjoy your posts. Thanks for explaining your take on this.

I'm in complete agreement that as I experience the color green may be entirely different than the way any one else does. Cool. How does this begin to explain "reality" though?! This is, once again, just perspective!

Sure I've thought about where my thoughts come from. They come from chemical reactions going off in the brain which respond, in part, to physical stimuli. It has yet to be proven, that the brain-dead think. Until that evidence is brought forward, I see no good reason to think otherwise.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

How am I or anyone else to know this? I think it's way beyond our comprehension.

The best we can say, is we know not.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well, at least you are on the discovery path.

You are yelling for help and I am sure you will get it... from your higher self, god, angels, whatever you prefer to call 'it' that assists you.

It sounds like you are having trouble coping with the fact that all is truly one. You want separation. That is exactly why you are here on this planet discovering duality. We all appear separate in this illusion. but don't forget, what you do to your neighbor, you truly do to your self ... because you are your neighbor. Imagine an ocean ... and a drop of ocean water... in that drop of ocean water there resides the ALL from the original ocean. In you, resides the ALL from the Original Thought.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
Anyhow, your reasoning is full of holes and fallacies.
I'm not going to address them because its your job to constantly review your ideas about the world - and that is spirituality.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Geladinhu]

Wouldn't that be philosophy? Why the extra layer?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

As far as a coping mechanism? I personally could give a damn about spirituality and maybe thats why at least in my reality, I have had over 3,000 out-of-body experiences, many dreams come true, remember existing before this life, a memory that has extended well into my earliest childhood memories.

The fact is, some of us are tuned in for what ever evolutionary purpose it serves, and some of us are tuned out for what ever evolutionary purpose it serves.

At the end of the day, we exist. And that existence is full of hidden potential and surprising truths. However, I know deeply how subjective this whole interface with reality as an individualized human goes.

We are a sentient being trapped in a wild biological beast we call the human species, and I am quite happy calling myself a sentient primate acknowledging the animalistic reality that we all have.

Does it excite me to know what I know regarding spiritual matters? It's novel at best, but does it pay my rent? Doubtful.

In the end, spirituality is just as open ended a statement as God is in many religions. It can mean anything to anyone who wants to slap beliefs and superstition and what ever gobbly goop they want on it.

However they sort that crap out may be the quality of spirituality that they attain as a person seeking a higher level of spiritual quality. If there even is such a thing.

There is no fast food spirituality in my opinion. You need to go through a serious amount if personal truth seeking, introspection and revelation. Most of which will be a very personal journey of the self.

Reading books, believing in fairy tales is not necessarily going to get you there. It's a focus discipline of ones commitment to themselves as a truth seeker.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I do often enjoy your posts. Thanks for explaining your take on this.

I'm in complete agreement that as I experience the color green may be entirely different than the way any one else does. Cool. How does this begin to explain "reality" though?! This is, once again, just perspective!

Sure I've thought about where my thoughts come from. They come from chemical reactions going off in the brain which respond, in part, to physical stimuli. It has yet to be proven, that the brain-dead think. Until that evidence is brought forward, I see no good reason to think otherwise.

Thanks for the encouragement and you are welcome.

It doesn't explain reality, it's just an example of how everyone's reality is different depending on their perception of things. This would lead some to believe that reality is therefore not a solid thing, but an everchanging world of quantum particles which pop in and out of existance at will.

I would recomment you watch the film "What The Bleep" or preferably the longer version " What The Bleep Went Down The Rabbit Hole". It will explain alot of the things I talk about and give you a good basic knowledge of the wonder that is quantum physics.

Also another great film is "Waking Life", you might have to watch that one a few times to wrap your head around it, but it was a moving experience none the less.

Science would tell you that thoughts are chemical reactions in your brain, however what makes us human is our ability to remember and reflect upon what has been done and what must be done in the future.

Science is only our best guess at the time, and although I cannot provide any concrete proof for my beliefs, since they are just that beliefs, I must apologize.

But remember that truth is something that most will rarely ever see. What's true to others is not for some, and usually not out of lack of information, but out of a "feeling" or notion of it being true, such as Christian or Muslim people who claim to have a direct connection with God.

I myself am simply interested in the various experiences one goes through when meditating or participating in OOBE's and Astral Projection. These could all be chemical reactions and figments of my imagination.

However if one accepts that as the truth, then the journey ends and your mind is now closed to any other possibilities.

~Keeper

[edit on 10/13/2009 by tothetenthpower]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join