It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get involved with SETI

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Says SETI. Is there even a way to know they are not lying?

Thank you for proving my point. Quoting myself...

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
Which is proof enough of a cover-up, in the mind of some of those participating in this thread. When the answers they want are not provided, instead of taking it as an opportunity to learn more about the world around them they behave like spoiled children, throwing accusations of cover-up, lies and disinformation. It is arrogance; they claim to have all the answers and anyone who disagrees with this absolute knowledge is a liar, disinfomation agent and so forth.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Actually, the BOINC client is far improved on what it used to be like a few years back. It's much better at determining load priority, and will almost always idle if any other task requires the cpu cycles. On top of that, there is the GPU option for nvidia cards with CUDA (I think ATI do their own thing for F@H), which barely uses the CPU at all and pumps out several times the work units due to the sheer number crunching ability of GPU over CPU.

link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by yeti101
btw the signal turned out to be the euro SOHO satelite which is in orbit around the sun about 1 million miles away.

Anybody with a radio telescope can point their telescope at the same coordinates and see if they pick up the euro SOHO satellite there too. Granted the best radio telescopes are in the hands of professional radio astronomers, but they aren't all under the control of SETI.

Furthermore, amateurs have built radio telescopes in their back yard. Heard of the Allen array? I saw a video of a guy who used an array concept like that but got a bunch of the old-style satellite dishes (the big ones) and used those to make an array in his back yard. His neighbors weren't too happy about it but it's probably pretty effective at picking up signals.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

www.radiosky.com...

You can get some ideas for how you might build an amateur radio telescope. Whether it's capable of independent verification of these signals depends on how well you make it. If it's a weak signal that only Arecibo can pick up, forget it, since amateurs can't build a receiver that large. But the SOHO signal should be detectable with good enough equipment, I suspect.

link   
I did this for a couple years, but started having to many issues with the software to bother keeping it up. Such is life.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

why would they lie?

do you find dr greer credible? levitation, 12 inch tall aliens, Besides he said his source was someone evryone would know. ie seth shostak, jill tarter or frank drake. The guy is a clown and full of bs

[edit on 1-10-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
the alien begins i communicate with say they will never use this SETI to talk to us, it is disinfo action only (Falsitude spreading)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I love this guy! He's been nothing but entertaining since he joined. Who's with me?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishspeaker
the alien begins i communicate with say they will never use this SETI to talk to us, it is disinfo action only (Falsitude spreading)

I think you meant beings?

Can you ask them what their preferred method of communication is and if they would communicate with Seth Shostak at the SETI institute like they do you?

Seth is looking so hard for alien beings, I think he would appreciate hearing from them even if it's in a form of communication other than a seti transmission.

I love this guy! He's been nothing but entertaining since he joined. Who's with me?

Hey I give him applause for following up. I read his sig and asked him to contact the alien beings so the SETI folks could stop wasting their time looking for something he's already found. He promised to ask them, and he did! You gotta admire someone who follows up on their promises like that!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishspeaker
You WILL not get involved with SETI (Stealing Entities Transmission Intercepts), they are PROVEN disinfo agents...

Please show us how they have been "proven" to be disinfo agents.

The believers irrational, idiotic hatred of a project that hopes to find aliens strikes again.

I'm not the one that mentioned "disinfo agents" but I am a critic of SETI and, IMO, it's a stupid waste of money, taxpayers' money which is denied. Badly created and badly executed. What do I know? Nothing. But common sense dictates that you cannot use a narrow view and hope to cover a wide field.

SETI is using a radio telescope that is only x-wide and can receive signals only that fall within its dishe's cone configuration. What if the "aliens" are on the other side of the world and if they transmit, the signal is falling on no receiver. It's really simple to visualize what I'm trying to say.

The only way for SETI to be successful if there were aliens out there and they were trasmitting a signal that would behave the way SETI thinks will trigger their receivers, is for the whole planet to be a receiving station so that no matter where these alleged aliens were located, their signal(s) would be received.

So, SETI hopes to receive signals using a narrow-field receiver as if the alleged aliens were located only in the direction of the receiver as the planet rotates. Never mind the north and south poles and in between.

Stupid! And the worst part about SETI is/was that we had to hear Seth Shostak yap! Just as bad as listening to Stanton Friedman!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptical Ed
What do I know? Nothing.

Can I quote you on that?

SETI is using a radio telescope that is only x-wide and can receive signals only that fall within its dishe's cone configuration. What if the "aliens" are on the other side of the world and if they transmit, the signal is falling on no receiver. It's really simple to visualize what I'm trying to say.

Perhaps we should be clear. This thread is about SetiAt Home, which uses the Arecibo radio telescope data. I agree that can't see the entire sky.

The Seti Institute (Separate from SetiAtHome but with similar goals) is working with the Allen Telescope Array

www.seti.org...
I suspect it can see more of the sky than Arecibo but still not 100%, as there's no southern hemisphere coverage.

I don't know much about SETI Australia but since they are in the southern Hemisphere there is some coverage there as well.

seti.uws.edu.au...

The only way for SETI to be successful if there were aliens out there and they were trasmitting a signal that would behave the way SETI thinks will trigger their receivers, is for the whole planet to be a receiving station so that no matter where these alleged aliens were located, their signal(s) would be received.

We both know they could get lucky and find something in the limited portion of the sky they are looking in. You're right, it would be better to look at the entire sky, but it seems to me they are having trouble just getting enough funding to do the limited work they are doing. How would you resolve this funding versus coverage issue if they put you in charge?

So, SETI hopes to receive signals using a narrow-field receiver as if the alleged aliens were located only in the direction of the receiver as the planet rotates. Never mind the north and south poles and in between.

Stupid!

Why do you think Shostak is saying 2020-2025 before we find the first signal? Because it does take a long time to search narrow areas. If you search too wide an area I suspect you get so much stuff mixed together you can't isolate it enough to analyze it.

And the worst part about SETI is/was that we had to hear Seth Shostak yap! Just as bad as listening to Stanton Friedman!

Actually you don't have to listen to Shostak if you don't like him. When you hear him, just turn down the sound!
He does a weekly radio show and about half of them are pretty interesting to me, the other half maybe not so much. But it depends on the topic, if it's something that interests you I find his radio shows can be pretty good! They are way more intelligent than the public radio talk shows.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Watch this space

AFTER you've spent more than 20 years hunting for an alien signal, you think you'd be celebrating if you noticed a mysterious pulse suddenly rising up on your computer readouts. A regular pulse, amid the random clatter of the cosmos, suggests that someone very smart at the other end is sending a message.

But when Ragbir Bhathal, an astrophysicist at the University of Western Sydney, who teaches the only university-based course on SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) in Australia, detected the suspicious signal on a clear night last December, he knew better than to crack open the special bottle of champagne he has tucked away for the history-making occasion.

Instead, he's spent the past few months meticulously investigating whether the unrecognised signature was caused by a glitch in his instrumentation, a rogue astrophysical phenomenon, or some unknown random noise.

Even if he picks up the signal again - he's been scouring the same co-ordinates of the night sky on an almost daily basis since - the scientific rule book dictates he'll need to get it peer-reviewed before he can take his announcement to the world. "And that is a lot of ifs," he concedes.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Originally posted by zorgon

UPDATE

Have that reply from Dr Bhathal

Hi Ron

Thanks for your email. I think a couple of people from the European press made a mistake and associated my work with the work on extra-solar planets. I am carrying out a search for ETI in the optical spectrum. We are looking for laser pulse signals from outer space.

The signal we detected came from the southern constellation Tucanae. Please find attached the signal for your use in your publications.
We are still in the process of trying to figure out whether it is an ETI signal.

Cheers.

Ragbir

Right click to view full graph

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e08bb931a2fa.jpg[/atsimg]

Originally posted by zorgon
This is a celestial map of the constellation Tucana, the Toucan.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81c3fc8cae16.png[/atsimg]

Copyright © 2003 GNU license Wikimedia

From this thread
Laser-like signal coming from Gliese 581e???
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Optical SETI not looking for silly radio waves that fade out after two light years and are indistinguishable from back ground noise

[edit on 2-10-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I used to contribute a long time ago. Never bothered me one bit, and I think the only reason I stopped was because I got a new computer and never bothered to download the client again.

As for the people saying SETI is a waste... what have you found? I'll dedicate some of my bandwidth to your massive array, if you need it.

..Oh right. No massive array.

Funny how most of the people actually backing seti@home are the same people posting logically in other threads. Correlation!

Maybe we need a group called "Skeptics for SETI".

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

So to separate the wheat from the chaff, you seem to agree with me with the basic criticism: SETI is too narrow to be effective. And what riles me about Shostak is his continuining denial of the reality of UFOs. THAT I cannot stand from anyone because it shows total ignorance of what has been going on and above planet earth. And here, he is trying to contact ETs and there is no evidence for them!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical Ed

He doesn't recognize that they exist because he is a scientific man. Also, even if it is "to narrow to be effective" it is better then not looking at all. For example, if you go fishing and take one cast you are almost certain not to catch anything. But isn't that better then sitting there wishing you had a fish?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

what riles me about Shostak is his continuining denial of the reality of UFOs.

How can you say he doesn't believe in UFOs when he says he's a part-time UFO investigator? He says that in the video embedded in this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

He does acknowledge that there are UFOs. He says there are unexplained murders in LA and unexplained things in the sky, but just because they are unexplained doesn't mean they are aliens. But maybe some people think the unexplained murders in LA ARE caused by aliens! After reading enough threads on ATS I can see some people would be willing to believe just about anything. That's off topic for this thread but you can follow the link and watch the video there, I've never seen that side of Shostak before, and you may not have either. He even said he was open to SETI and UFO researchers reaching out to each other since they're looking for the same thing but with different methods.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical Ed

[snip]

seti's taxypayer money was cut off about 15 years ago. Its funded by private donations such as $12milion from paul allen.

Seti have observatories in australia & europe too. Your utter garbage about about where the aliens are located shows you know nothing about what seti are doing or what type of signals theyre looking for. Never mind the fact they dont have and endless supply of money so they have to work with what theyve got.

Now lets talk about what ufologist are doing to find their alien spaceships. Writing books & making DVDs so they can make money. No effort to raise money and do anything scientific with it.

Seti raised $20m and built the ATA42 which will increase to ATA350 dishes in 10 years. In the seti experiment even a null result is significant as it tells us long lasting transmitting civs are rare.

in science we do experiments to further our understanding of the universe. ANY experiment no matter how crazy is worth doing as it tells us something new. Christopher columbus could have sat in a spanish bar all day argueing whether there was another continent out over the atlantic. The only way to ever find out is to do the experiment and go look.

Thats what seti are doing. If your against what seti does your just anti -science. Also alot of major discoveries like the cosmic background radiation are discovered by serendipity. Seti is poised for something like that becuase nobody has ever searched they way they are.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by yeti101]

Removed personal attack

[edit on 2/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

it's a stupid waste of money, taxpayers' money which is denied.

The SETI Institute is privately funded, others are run by universities (such as SETI@Home, a project of the University of California).

SETI is using a radio telescope that is only x-wide and can receive signals only that fall within its dishe's cone configuration.

Various SETI projects look at a particular wavelength because that wavelength is relatively quiet. And while it may seem like that wavelength is narrow, within that there are hundreds upon hundreds of millions of channels. The various SETI projects listen to hundreds of millions of channels at a time.

But that is only one part of the SETI projects, albeit the most well-known. There are projects looking for extraterrestrial high-technology, such as Dyson Swarms, manipulation of the galactic environment and ultra-powerful lasers.

And the worst part about SETI is/was that we had to hear Seth Shostak yap! Just as bad as listening to Stanton Friedman!

I find him entertaining, personable and informative. He, in my opinion, is a great popularizer of science.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
Also alot of major discoveries like the cosmic background radiation are discovered by serendipity. Seti is poised for something like that becuase nobody has ever searched they way they are.

Especially when the Allen Array goes online.

Skeptical Ed is perhaps worse than the believers who refuse to search because they think they already have all the answers they need. Instead, he doesn't want to bother searching because it might fail; he does not know the chances of success (no one does) but because it may be fruitless it is not worth searching at all.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
wowowow enough with the hate on one another.
whats the point of seti,if radio signals travel so slow,we will hear a signal from like 1000 years before? correct me if im wrong,but if this is wright..well wtf?
as for hacking,no need to stick to every word,i was just expressing an oppinion with my heart. putting fluoride in toothpase/water and putting apsartame in sugary treats is ALSO A CRIME! ):,but since im only a average joe if i even say a word about hacking or rebellion im evil? i dont think thats the ATS way of thinking,legal and illegal are words of the NWO,GOOD and BAD are peoples words.

as for facts,well i cant even think of any u got me,im too lazy,but theres plenty of people as you see,who report coverups,just look at the SETI forum.

and a sun sattelite? yea right...why should i believe them,was a sun sattelite emiting messages from long ago,since the time the wave has to travel to earth,correct me if im wrong again.

SETI is an organization,you think the worlds elite will let them reveal ufo secrets? they probably fund them secretly.
even if we cant agree and win the debate with clear facts,my opinion is:
"why should i let those LIARS use my pc's cycles for encoding theyr data,and if they find anything they wont even say... down with seti

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

again you prove doomsdayrexs' point. If someone doesnt tell you what you want to hear they must be lying. I suppose its the only way to keep your fantasy world intact.

the real conspiracy isnt with goverments, scientists or seti. Its the gatekeepers & myth builders of ufology who pull the wool over your eyes making you believe alien spaceships visiting earth are real. Although its much easier for them to do that when they have willing participants.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by yeti101]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join