It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get involved with SETI

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
setting our own project is a great idea,even if there are alien connections allready,its still cool to see theyr transmissions and signals,and to have proof for the nonbelievers

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilTwin666

To EvilTwin666,

First, there is nothing funny about aligning yourself with evil. '666' is not some bullcrap mythical game! There is good and bad in all of us, and it's our moral responsibility to align with what is the 'greater good'.

Secondly, I've contacted several scientists who work at SETI and sent them copies of a discovery I've made! At the NASA Conference Missions for Exoplanets: 2010-2020 held in Pasadena, CA on 4/21/09, I presented a one-page-essay/poster entitled Identifying True 'Earth-like Planets' - All New Worlds Are Built On 7_4 (like Earth) or 6_4. This can be found at: exep.jpl.nasa.gov... This paper makes some very bold predictions about all extraterrestrials, but mostly are 'next door neighbor': the Planet Nestor. You can also visit: planetnestor.blogspot.com...

- Brad Watson, Miami, FL

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Brad Watson]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Brad Watson

This thread is about SETI so I'm not sure what your theory has to do with SETI?

But since your theory notes that many things seem to revolve around the numbers 7 and 4, look at your first concept:

74% of this universe's mass is hydrogen (the Milky Way and most galaxies are 74% hydrogen, our/most solar systems' mass is 74% hydrogen, the Sun's/most stars' mass is 74% hydrogen, most gas-giant-planets are 74% hydrogen)

Isn't hydrogen constantly being fused into heavier elements in solar "fusion reactors"? So based on that the percentage of hydrogen is not a fixed amount but a constantly moving target, where in the past it was higher, and in the future it will be lower. So the fact that you might see 74% today is more of a coincidence of when in the hydrogen-burning curve your cosmic blip of a lifetime happened to occur in the cosmic timeline.

Each second, the sun converts 564 million tons of hydrogen to 560 million tons of helium. Other stars are likewise making similar conversions, so the percentage of hydrogen is a constantly changing number right?

Now if you can't explain why your theory is on topic with SETI please post that in another thread. And if can show it's on topic with SETI and want to promote that theory here be prepared to have the other claims examined just as closely as the hydrogen percentage claim to have their misleading inaccuracies exposed.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Is SETI a perfect system/method/process? No - far from it. We're all still learning, trying, exploring, evaluating - hoping.
Is the SETI project infallible? Hardly - no one is even sure we're listening on the right frequencies, in the right places, at the right times, or with the right technology.
Is SETI certain to prove ETI - eventually? Nope - there are no guarantees whatsoever. We very likely might discover that the entire effort was a colossal waste of time, money and resources.
Are SETI participants just hopeless idealists, clueless pragmatists, buoyant visionaries, desperate enthusiasts, or utopian optimists? Yes - and many other types as well. So what?

In summary: SETI is simply the only game in town at the moment, folks. Why does the fact that some wish to have a look through the only scope available so offend those that don't believe it will reveal anything?

If you don't think it's worthwhile, don't participate. If you think that we won't even be told when something is found, ignore those that do believe it just MIGHT be possible that we will be told. If you think we're looking in the wrong place, or wasting our computer time, or being led astray - good for you! You have an opinion. We're grateful to you for sharing it. Now please let us get back to work.

The naysayer poo-poo artists of the world have for millenia stood on the shores shouting at the folly of explorers that dared venture into the darkness, into the unknown, and yes, often failed miserably or even died trying. So what?

Like the ships of yore, we are only moments into our journey - by which time we can no longer hear you. So save your breath. Find some other cause to spew your negative no-can-do attitude towards. It obviously has not occurred to you that we have, and will continue to, carry on.

Oh - and do not worry. When the signal is found, when we finally find the right combination to unlock the secrets of this dynamic universe and the other sentient beings within it - we will not criticize you as you have us. We will not condemn you and chastise you and silence you. In fact we will yet again welcome you into the family of greater knowledge such discovery brings. We will share the knowledge with you, invite you to examine and experience it for yourself - without malice, without disdain. And you can then move on to the next supposedly foolish enterprise and start bellowing at them. Why do we encourage you to do this?

You see, it is, in part, the motivation that the negative people of the world provide that lends impetus and enthusiasm to our search. So please, yell a few more times, "HEY! you fools! That won't work! It's all LIES, anyway! You're wasting your time!".

Thank you!

Well, I think I'll hook up another idle SETI laptop - maybe ask a few more friends if they want to join us. You don't have to, of course. It's ok.

We'll continue looking. And if and when this may prove a faulty, winless, game - that's no problem - we'll just start looking elsewhere. Someone has to look. But not, apparently, some of you...

p.s. After ten years, I see no reason to stop my participation. I've never had a problem with computer resources, the program, SETI staff, etc. So I'm not worried about it. I don't understand why others are. It's MY computer, my time, and my interest. It may not yield a thing. But I must do SOMETHING. Cruise around and chat with my pals at ATS is one thing. Read and collect and study like crazy is another. Attend conferences, socialize with people smarter then me, ask questions is yet another. SETI is just a small piece of this exercise. And I'm enjoying it. Why is that a problem for some people?

Anyway - thanks all (pro and con)! You've taught me some things today...

Happy searching!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brad Watson
reply to post by EvilTwin666

To EvilTwin666,

First, there is nothing funny about aligning yourself with evil. '666' is not some bullcrap mythical game! There is good and bad in all of us, and it's our moral responsibility to align with what is the 'greater good'.

Secondly, I've contacted several scientists who work at SETI and sent them copies of a discovery I've made! At the NASA Conference Missions for Exoplanets: 2010-2020 held in Pasadena, CA on 4/21/09, I presented a one-page-essay/poster entitled Identifying True 'Earth-like Planets' - All New Worlds Are Built On 7_4 (like Earth) or 6_4. This can be found at: exep.jpl.nasa.gov... This paper makes some very bold predictions about all extraterrestrials, but mostly are 'next door neighbor': the Planet Nestor. You can also visit: planetnestor.blogspot.com...

- Brad Watson, Miami, FL

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Brad Watson]

Interesting links, although let me correct you on your post....

Evil is just a state of mind, what some percieve as Evil may well be normal human behaviour to some. It was not too long ago that simple science or music was evil and the work of Satan.

666 is not the correct number of the Beast it is actually 616 so you need not fear.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by EvilTwin666]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Not sure anyone has posted this already, and since I'm on my way to bed, I don't have the time to check all the replies :/

I think David Sereda's explanation about detecting energy/signals, in the documentary "Evidence -The case for NASA UFO's" is the best i have heard so far.

He says S.E.T.I will most likely not find any intelligent signal from other planets, because radio waves signals has too low energy.
The energy we should be looking for is much higher energy, like in the light specter or higher.
Some of NASA's camera's is operating in lower and higher UV (Ultra Violet).

His statement about S.E.T.I @ 6:50 -

Here is the link: Evidence - The Case For NASA UFO's

_

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join